Bangkok Admin to seek 300 million baht fund to maintain fire trucks and boats

webfact

BMA to seek 300 million baht fund to maintain fire trucks and boats

logobma1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is to seek an approval from the city council for a 300 million baht fund to repair the fire trucks and fire-fighting boats bought about a decade ago from Austrian supplier, Steyr-Daimler-Puch spezialfahrzefug AG.

A total of 315 fire trucks and 30 fire-fighting boats were bought from the Austrian company at a highly-inflated cost of 6.6 billion baht by the late Bangkok governor Samak Sundaravej. His successor, Apirak Kosayothin, signed for the letter of credit for the payments.

Bangkok deputy governor Asawin Kwanmuang said that the city administration had set up a committee to inspect the conditions of more than 170 fire trucks kept at the garage of Thep Yont Company to determine any of them could be maintained and then put to use.

He estimated that about 300 million baht would be needed to maintain those trucks which could still be fixed. As for the 30 boats, he said most of them were in working condition and would not require much maintenance.

As for the Austrian supplier, the arbitration committee has ordered the company to refund BMA 20.5 million Euro dollars or 800 million baht for the corruption-plagued procurement deal.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bma-to-seek-300-million-baht-fund-to-maintain-fire-trucks-and-boats

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-12

The money they are looking for must be to buy ,new batteries,tyers,and replace other

parts that may have gone missing ,while been in storage all this time,would love to

see a picture of the trucks and boats,and the state they are in,would make a wonderful

poster to remind people what happens when corruption prevails.

While they have been parked up there ,wonder how many lives may have been lost

because the did not have enough fire engines and fire boats.

regards Worgeordie

1). It has been reported that the Austrian company is bankrupt so the 800 B may be only a paper victory.

2). Storage fees, further deterioration and mulling will eat up another 500 million or so, so why compound

this situation by extending it, ( see rice scheme ), Auction all equipment or give it away to towns/villages

that really need it - now ! " Know when to hold em', know when to fold em' " _ courtesy Kenny Rogers !

• 8 months later...

The money they are looking for must be to buy ,new batteries,tyers,and replace other

parts that may have gone missing ,while been in storage all this time,would love to

see a picture of the trucks and boats,and the state they are in,would make a wonderful

poster to remind people what happens when corruption prevails.

While they have been parked up there ,wonder how many lives may have been lost

because the did not have enough fire engines and fire boats.

regards Worgeordie

post-243266-0-50985300-1454124646_thumb.post-243266-0-28091900-1454124745_thumb.

Here you go

It couldn't be that hard to get them into service. Replace all fluids, new batteries, new tyres. Test them for minor problems. And one would think they have been started and run over the years of storage....which would make sense.

It couldn't be that hard to get them into service. Replace all fluids, new batteries, new tyres. Test them for minor problems. And one would think they have been started and run over the years of storage....which would make sense.

And one would think they have been started and run over the years of storage....which would make sense.

"One would think" "..Which would make sense" Nice sentiments. Perhaps someone can indeed confirm such maintenance has been carried out all these long years.

wink.png Over 10 years at Laem Chabang........................

The keys for vehicles are probably in a big sack and samchi has to find the set

that fits each vehicle, by then his work day is done. repeat process and I doubt

there has been any maintance.

In fact it may be surprising how many vehicles cannot be accounted for (found)

when judgement day arrives

The reason I asked for any info and update was simply because I was involved with the company names as Thepayont as their chief engineer and was based out at their secure workshops at Sai Noi.

When these vehicles arrived I was tasked to make sure they were looked after,nwhich I did u til I left the company opinion 2009.

Due to the storage area being very secure there was no need to remove the vehicle keys , they were left in each vehicles ignition. I set up a number of two men teams who between them they were allocated vehicles which were their responsibilities.

I can assure you that when I left in 2009 every vehicle was a runner and operational. But I do believe that some time back the area was hit by quite deep flooding and it's likely flood damage occurred. Whether or not my maintenance programmes were continued after I left is a question I cannot answer.

I guess dipstick set up a good workable system of maintance, but 6 years have lapsed since

he was there to monitor and keep watch over the little light fingered,forgetfull maintance crews

I found many people who are assigned maintance duty need to be reminded on a regular basis

that it is on going (payday)

they get distracted, wake up in a new world every day, promoted, die, etc. The tires on all

vehicles will need replaced just due to age and me ntioned, there was a flood. funds required may

not cover and wont be known until every unit is accounted for and inspected by qualified

mechanics and not some governors gopher

Another picture .

My first thought upon seeing that picture was "Oh look, a cemetery". How appropriate.

What is needed there after all these years of neglect after a maintenance program mentioned by member Dip Stick, is more likely now a salvage operation, and a big one at that.

The keys for vehicles are probably in a big sack and samchi has to find the set

that fits each vehicle, by then his work day is done. repeat process and I doubt

there has been any maintance.

In fact it may be surprising how many vehicles cannot be accounted for (found)

when judgement day arrives

"In fact it may be surprising how many vehicles cannot be accounted for (found) when judgement day arrives"

Agree 3 times.

Reminds of the case 15 / 18 years ago when the RTP bought some 800 BMW cars to be the work vehicles for officers of / above a certain rank.

There was much serious criticism which prompted statements that the vehicles were not personal gifts to the officers, they were police vehicles to remain on police duties.

Within 2 years the annual assets audits revealed that some 80% of the cars could not be found, no trace, and all attempts to find them ground to a halt very quickly.

Much criticism again which again was totally ignored.

Edited by scorecard

I guess dipstick set up a good workable system of maintance, but 6 years have lapsed since

he was there to monitor and keep watch over the little light fingered,forgetfull maintance crews

I found many people who are assigned maintance duty need to be reminded on a regular basis

that it is on going (payday)

they get distracted, wake up in a new world every day, promoted, die, etc. The tires on all

vehicles will need replaced just due to age and me ntioned, there was a flood. funds required may

not cover and wont be known until every unit is accounted for and inspected by qualified

mechanics and not some governors gopher

Thanks for that.

2009 - 2016, some 7 years, anything could have happened in that time, including as simple as leave the gate unlocked.

Not meant as a criticism of dipstick, not at all, just reality.