Another empty camp found on Khao Kaew in Songkhla's Padang Besar area

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worry about the boats full of Rohinghya that are currently marooned offshore because Thailand's vile pipeline of human depravity has been blocked. They will surely disappear a lot more easily than the unfortunate ones discovered in mass graves on land.

"So far, 67 officers from different police units and precincts in the South, where several instances of human trafficking were uncovered, have been either transferred or moved to inactive posts pending investigation. The ranks range from non-commissioned officers to colonel."

And that is all that will happen to them.

Huge detention camp capable of holding 1,000 people found near border

5-13-2015-10-05-03-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A huge camp capable of holding up to 1,000 people was discovered yesterday just three kilometres from the Malaysian border in Sadao district of Songkhla.

The camp is just abandoned, believed by Rohinya migrants and human trafficking gang members as there were traces of hasty evacuation by the occupants just before the arrival of government authorities.

It is the largest camp ever found near the border and used by human traffickers to detain the Rohinya migrants fled from Myanmar and demand ransom from their relatives before freeing them across to the Malaysian border.

Police said the camp consists of 21 sleeping sheds, eight latrines, two watch towers, and one incomplete structure.

Fourth Army Region commander Lt Gen Prakarn Cholayut said it is the largest camp of all camps ever found at the border.

He said security officers have so far uncovered 73 small detention sites in Songkhla and Satun provinces.

Security officers are now inspecting the latest camp in Sadao border for more evidence of the human smuggling operation, he said.

There are also children among the fleeing migrants as security authorities uncovered several children slippers, clothes and other belongings being left behind in a hush hush manner, one security officer at the camp said.

He said authorities are looking for the migrants who might still wander near the border jungles.

Since the crackdown began early this month under order of Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, police have rescued 276 Rohinya migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh wandering in the jungle who appeared to be abandoned by their brokers.

73 detention camps were found on Khao Kaew hill alone in Padang Besar of Sadao district.

At least 19 suspects have been arrested in connection with the suspected trafficking operation, including several local Thai officials. Ten new arrest warrants were issued today, raising the total number of arrest warrants to 51.

The ringleader suspect of the regional trafficking network identified as Ko Toeng or Patchuban Angchotipan, a former provincial administrative officer and owner of several resorts in Satun province is still on the run.

But police said last night he has contacted a senior police officer to turn himself in.

He is now believed to be hiding in Langkawi Island of Malaysia.

Thai authorities are coordinating with Malaysian authorities to seek his arrest.

Meanwhile the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) has impounded more than 74 million baht worth of assets of Ko Toeng and his network charged with human trafficking.

Some suspects have withdrawn money and gold from their banks, and therefore prompted AMLO to act and freeze their accounts, said AMLO secretary-general Pol Col Sihanart Prayoonrat.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/huge-detention-camp-capable-of-holding-1000-people-found-near-border

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-13

A camp big enough to hold 1000 slaves ('cos lets face it, that's what they are), 3 km from the one discovered on May 1st, and it took 2 weeks to find it!

A joke, a very sick joke.

It seems as if English might not be your first language, so I understand why you might use the word improperly, but I have not seen any information that indicates that these are slaves. All of the information I have seen indicates they are not. It would be better if we didn't hysterically exaggerate with such bombastic language. It erodes the meaning of the word, which makes us less likely to understand real slavery.

"Follow the money" advice from Deep Throat, All the President's Men.

Forensic accountants, with 24 hr bodyguards, to find who profits from the trade, along with other branches of corruption. Recall years ago reading that US FBI large percentage of agents were accountants.

Why transfer people? If suspected of wrongdoing they should first be suspended. Then after proper investigation/trial/court martial and if found guilty should receive appropriate jail time and loss of job/rank/pension. All this transfer nonsense makes Thailand look very weak when it comes to dealing with criminals. Time to get out the big stick, general PM, and be tough.

Oh my god not more transfers............those poor generals, they and their families must be in terrible shock.

They could transfer them to the north to Masai as they would be familiar with the Burmese language and not be so homesick.

THE P.M. Should be more strong and effectieve. When policeman or soldiers no matter there ranking be cought in a criminal aktivity, a big or a little one, take EVEREYTHING the have, property, land, mony, cars and so on and so on.

I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale! The P.M. Have to do something on the corruption, if he don't Thailand is lost!

"I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale!"

Not sure they have what it takes to get into Yale--Harvard maybe--but not Yale. Then again, it would be nice to have such a well-educated police force.

Seriously, though... Caesar Prayuth might be able to go after the rotten apples among the police, but he must tread carefully when dealing with the army. They're his only real 'friends', and if he alienates the wrong people there, he could find himself out of a job (to put it nicely).

He has plenty of enemies in the Army. Wouldn't surprise me if another General runs a coup, arrests this guy, run him thru the courts and confiscate his fortune.

A camp big enough to hold 1000 slaves ('cos lets face it, that's what they are), 3 km from the one discovered on May 1st, and it took 2 weeks to find it!

A joke, a very sick joke.

It seems as if English might not be your first language, so I understand why you might use the word improperly, but I have not seen any information that indicates that these are slaves. All of the information I have seen indicates they are not. It would be better if we didn't hysterically exaggerate with such bombastic language. It erodes the meaning of the word, which makes us less likely to understand real slavery.

I would be very interested in how you would describe these camps and the associated activities. I would suggest that trafficking people across several countries, holding them captive in jungle camps and selling them on to others is a form of slavery.

By the way English is my first language.

Edited by JAG

This is the ultimate test for Prayuth and the Junta, and their promised reforms, fight against corruption and human trafficking. Here they have the chance to shine, and completely destroy the useless and corrupt police, but instead of arresting the police suspects, he promises transfers. Transfers? If a police officer in a civilized country ruled by LAW is suspected of having "a hand" in mass murder, kidnapping and extortion, he will NOT be transferred, but arrested without bail.

Thailand needs police reforms more than anything, and yet the Primeminister don't dare to use this golden opportunity. What a disappointment.

Just so unlucky, finding them after they are emptied, eh?

Ah well, never mind, better luck next time.

Or the next.

Or the next.

Ad infinitum..........

Time to bring in the corpse sniffing dogs and search the area in and around this 'camp'. I'd say. More bodies will likely be found in the area.

Too high tech

Transfer....transfer....transfer... what a pathetic judicial system. If I, say, defrauded my boss out of x amount of $ or I turned a blind eye while the warehouse was being emptied out the back door and I was transferred to another department............ WhootTheFark. !!!

How many staff does it take to run a camp for 1,000 people. How much security, traffic, food, supplies, water and waste are generated every week?

There are lots of people living in that area that are in on it.

Those in power won't let this kind of money making operation go on without a piece.

The highest ranking politicians, police, army, mafia, and para military people are all involved, guaranteed.

Edited by jamesjohnsonthird

Junta intelligence not up to scratch yet I am sure there will be a few more deserted camps to find before long just ask the 5 police generals before the get their harsh transfer to a easy office, they might help you find a full camp, with live people in it.

Edited by seedy
font

Just so unlucky, finding them after they are emptied, eh?

Ah well, never mind, better luck next time.

Or the next.

Or the next.

Ad infinitum..........

My thoughts as well, always empty camps someone must be tipping them off with dates and times they will be arriving. Did they ever find the 500 who were lost/misplaced by the authorities about 8 months ago

they encovered 2 other camps just 3 km away before 1 week,

only 3 km and they got no trace to this camp !!!!

and suddenly after 1 weeks time to clean up,

they found the camp !

This camp oiwner had prepaired his sold for them !!

he was clever and free !!

and when dust is gone, in 1 - 2 months - business as usual !!

new police officers are coming with empty pockets !!

This story is sad on many fronts. On the macro front, I remember Thai government officials berating the US State Dept for downgrading it on trafficking in persons. Then this story crops up. Then, the EU is not happy with Thai fishing industry and Thai government officials bemoan of misunderstanding and unequal treatment. If only there was a bit of understanding and equal treatment to these poor Rohingya people.

THE P.M. Should be more strong and effectieve. When policeman or soldiers no matter there ranking be cought in a criminal aktivity, a big or a little one, take EVEREYTHING the have, property, land, mony, cars and so on and so on.

I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale! The P.M. Have to do something on the corruption, if he don't Thailand is lost!

Agree with your sentiments, and I can see that English is not your native language, but this made me laugh, and maybe true!

"I think that more than half the army people and half the police people should be in Yale!"

1. "Yale University is a private Ivy League research university in New Haven, Connecticut. Founded in 1701 as the "Collegiate School," the university is the third-oldest institution of higher education in the United States. Wikipedia"

Wow a 1000 people just disappeared like that or just moved on to the next camp.

A convoy of 20 busses/trucks crammed with refugees goes unnoticed?

wha we always claim fast driving vans and buses ?

They are too fast for the RTP !!

especial in this hot days !!

This area, the most sensitive border area with a Muslim insurgency with road bombs, school teachers killed and all kinds of shit happening for over 10 years with over 6000 killed, it kind of stinks when the head of the army says that no army personal been involved in this very serious crime against humanity.

Is it to early to retrospectively charge the PM negligence for this going on under his watch as head of the Army? He could even be impeached, they dont seem to give a toss whether someone is in office or not, so why change now.

Is there more camps like this in other parts of Thailand or is it mostly the

south where these type of camps are being found? Makes me wonder if this is how some

of the so called insurgents are making their money?

Every one knows that these kinds of people need to get their money somehow, and I will not

just throw blame on Military or the police force of Thailand, just because so many on this

and other forums seem so quick to do.