Reward offered for tips on attack of American teacher

Thaivisa News

Trang:- An American family offered a reward of US$250 for information that leads to arrest of attackers who stabbed the family’s friend, an American teacher at Prince of Songkla University's Trang Campus.

Maelys Ben Lounas, an American expat in Trang, told reporters in fluent Thai that her family was willing to give US$250 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest of attackers that stabbed her family’s friend, Buck Glen Blankenship, 45.

Lounas and her family held a press conference at 3 pm Wednesday, urging reporters to tell the Kantang police station to speed up the probe into the attack against Blankenship.

Lounas said her family wanted the attackers to be arrested soon so that the expats could feel safe living in Thailand.

Blankenship, 45, sustained 4-5 stab wounds in the stomach after an argument with youngsters on two motorcycles who cut in front of his motorcycle early Saturday morning.

The English teacher recounted that he was angry at the four youngsters for cutting in front of him so he hurled a four-letter word at them.

The four later sped their bikes after him and crashed into his bike, causing him to fall down. They assaulted him and stabbed him and fled the scene.

The American teacher was still in the intensive care unit at Trang Hospital.

Kantang police chief Pol Col Apichai Krobphet said police were not dragging feet in the case. He said he formed a special team to be in charge of the case and the team was racing against time to try to locate the attackers.

He said several witnesses have been interrogated and the progress of the investigation has been informed to the US embassy.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like his little road rage incident landed him in the hospital.

Maybe his friend should remind him where he is instead of offering a $250 reward for "justice".

Indeed -If you're gonna get road rage in Thailand make sure you are better armed than the other person. Perhaps his friend could buy him a gun with the $250.

I'm sure non of us ever swear when people cut us up on the roads

It might not have been wise to to get mad and hurl abuse but the shocking thing here is that people are willing to stab you and quite possibly kill you over a minor road rage incident. These people need to be removed from normal society for everyones safety. US$250 doesnt sound like much of a reward but maybe they have gauged thats enough locally?

Trust the dude recovers and is able to get to normal... road rage, for sure... sometimes just keep it underbreathe.. or get a faster bike...

Focus for a speedy recovery.. and hopefully a different attitude.. especially out in the sticks..

The teacher has been charged with verbal assault and defamation of thai character and fined 1200 thb upon his hopefully speedy recovery.

The $250 was accepted from the fluent speaking friend of the teacher and she was told if her assistance is needed further, she may be called to increase the reward amount.

Big boss police friend of a mate confirms this as of today.

Edited by HLover

Only last month I seen an idiot on a motorbike get off and open the seat to take out a 12 inch long knife and go after a taxi driver in the middle of Sukhumvit, well worth steering clear of them.

Only last month I seen an idiot on a motorbike get off and open the seat to take out a 12 inch long knife and go after a taxi driver in the middle of Sukhumvit, well worth steering clear of them.

let me guess the rider was a westerner....5555

If the BIB give the tips do they also get the reward?

Headline should be "Guy with a big mouth gets stabbed."

Think he would have got similar treatment in the US if he yelled a four letter word to 4 youths on motorcycles.

Or better yet imagine a middle age Thai man on a bike telling 4 youths on motorbikes to get Ffff'd... don't think that would end well.

Edited by wow64

"Reward offered for tips on attack of American teacher"

I am don't like both Americans and teachers but offering an reward for tips on how to attack them best is a bad thing. tongue.png

Not a good thing to start here. Soon police will do nothing for foreigners in trouble until someone comes up with money.The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Thats the normal here always... Sherlock Holmes does not live in Thailand...

"I am don't like both Americans and teachers"

-shocking based on your excellent grammar.

Not everyone is a native speaker and I bet he speaks English better as you do any other second language. Would love to see your command of the German language.

"....and I bet he speaks English better as you do any other second language...."

Should I say something??? Nahhh.....

Not everyone is a native speaker and I bet he speaks English better as you do any other second language. Would love to see your command of the German language.

Dies ist nicht schwierig. Haben Sie weitere Fragen?

So, yes I will take your worthless 'bet' and hope you enjoy, troll boy.

I think a lot of Farang don't understand how serious Thais take the middle finger. My wife says it doesn't even mean <deleted>you. It really means Kwai.

Calling a Thai a buffalo is fighting words, and they certainly fight for keeps here.

• 9 months later...

I want to thank those that have commented in this forum for expressing their opinions. I am the American teacher who was mentioned in this article. I am currently in the hospital in Hat Yai getting a final surgery as a result of the injuries from being stabbed nearly ten months ago and felt the need to inform the public about my case. I have been in the hospital for about 3 weeks this time for an abdominal rebuild. In total I have spent about 3 months in the hospital and gone through about 9 surgeries since that night. It has been a long and difficult process, but consider myself lucky to be alive.

That night I went out to watch some football with some friends. To be honest I had a few beers, but felt I was o.k. to drive home on my motorbike about 12:15 am. I left my friends and was going to get something to eat on the way home. I was passing the intersection of the road I was driving on when I saw some younger boys ahead ready to take a right turn crossing the road I was heading straight on. As I got close, they both gunned their engines and lurched their bikes directly in my path. I narrowly avoided crashing into them and having nearly crashed I got angry at them. In that moment of anger I said, "&lt;deleted&gt; you!", and gestured to them the same. It looked like they had continued on their way and I headed on. Moments later I was crashed into by these same youths and knocked off my bike. They pulled to my side and approached me. As they approached me I asked, "Arai?", and gestured with both my arms in the air. One of them got close and I pushed him away. The next thing I know I was being attacked and one of them I thought was punching me in stomach. I went down and got back up and noticed all the blood and yelled at them to go in both English and Thai. They left and I walked over to the sidewalk and laid on my back bleeding. Luckily an old Thai man happened to walk by and used my phone to call for help. The rest is a bit hazy, but I woke up in the hospital later the next day. During the next few days things were toch and go, but luckily I pulled through and got realeased from the hospital 58 days later.

Later the police identified possibld suspects and asked me to I.D. them. I was able to clearly identify one of the attackers, but the other one I couldn't clearly identify from the police photos. The boy who I identified I believe was arrested and the other who I later remember to be the one with the knife was set free. Both were 17 year old friends who had been arrested together before. The boy I identified went to trial in December with his parents in tow, since he was 17 at the time of the crime. Apparently, he had been free up until the trial date under the custody of his parents. I testified to the best of my ability and hoped for some justice. I had hoped he would serve some time in jail, be liable for compensation, or be willing to testify against the boy who actually did the stabbing. Unfortuntately, I learned last week that he was set free and not charged with anything.

So, in the end I feel, as if justice has not been served in my case. I have spent more time in the hospital, had to deal with tbe trauma of almost losing my life, and have financial problems due to hospital bills and not being able to work. For those of you that commented that I should be out late and not drinking and driving, I understand your point. In addition, I am aware of Thai culture and that confronting people and saying, "&lt;deleted&gt; you!", was not the best decision that night. Either way, I don't think I deserved to be stabbed and left for dead.

So, use this as a cautionary tale and be safe out there. Hopefully, in the future incidents like these will be avoided and the Thai justice system improved.

when you are in a country where these idiots think they can do as they please and the law lets them what do you expect. I notice you never mentioned if they were a hi so family or one with connections, as they were let off with no charge after stabbing someone 10 times this would appear to be the case. Until such time as the law actually does what it is supposed to here this will continue to happen, maybe thats why a few people I know have a mate they keep handy for such times, when faced with the possibility of being on the receiving end these ar***oles tend to turn into major cowards.

I flipped off a car once who cut me off....he stuck a gun out of his window and tried to crash into me, on the expressway. Luckily a cop was coming up behind us so he sped off.

From now on I let the idiots rage on, and I get out of their way!

I want to thank those that have commented in this forum for expressing their opinions. I am the American teacher who was mentioned in this article. I am currently in the hospital in Hat Yai getting a final surgery as a result of the injuries from being stabbed nearly ten months ago and felt the need to inform the public about my case. I have been in the hospital for about 3 weeks this time for an abdominal rebuild. In total I have spent about 3 months in the hospital and gone through about 9 surgeries since that night. It has been a long and difficult process, but consider myself lucky to be alive.

That night I went out to watch some football with some friends. To be honest I had a few beers, but felt I was o.k. to drive home on my motorbike about 12:15 am. I left my friends and was going to get something to eat on the way home. I was passing the intersection of the road I was driving on when I saw some younger boys ahead ready to take a right turn crossing the road I was heading straight on. As I got close, they both gunned their engines and lurched their bikes directly in my path. I narrowly avoided crashing into them and having nearly crashed I got angry at them. In that moment of anger I said, "<deleted> you!", and gestured to them the same. It looked like they had continued on their way and I headed on. Moments later I was crashed into by these same youths and knocked off my bike. They pulled to my side and approached me. As they approached me I asked, "Arai?", and gestured with both my arms in the air. One of them got close and I pushed him away. The next thing I know I was being attacked and one of them I thought was punching me in stomach. I went down and got back up and noticed all the blood and yelled at them to go in both English and Thai. They left and I walked over to the sidewalk and laid on my back bleeding. Luckily an old Thai man happened to walk by and used my phone to call for help. The rest is a bit hazy, but I woke up in the hospital later the next day. During the next few days things were toch and go, but luckily I pulled through and got realeased from the hospital 58 days later.

Later the police identified possibld suspects and asked me to I.D. them. I was able to clearly identify one of the attackers, but the other one I couldn't clearly identify from the police photos. The boy who I identified I believe was arrested and the other who I later remember to be the one with the knife was set free. Both were 17 year old friends who had been arrested together before. The boy I identified went to trial in December with his parents in tow, since he was 17 at the time of the crime. Apparently, he had been free up until the trial date under the custody of his parents. I testified to the best of my ability and hoped for some justice. I had hoped he would serve some time in jail, be liable for compensation, or be willing to testify against the boy who actually did the stabbing. Unfortuntately, I learned last week that he was set free and not charged with anything.

So, in the end I feel, as if justice has not been served in my case. I have spent more time in the hospital, had to deal with tbe trauma of almost losing my life, and have financial problems due to hospital bills and not being able to work. For those of you that commented that I should be out late and not drinking and driving, I understand your point. In addition, I am aware of Thai culture and that confronting people and saying, "<deleted> you!", was not the best decision that night. Either way, I don't think I deserved to be stabbed and left for dead.

So, use this as a cautionary tale and be safe out there. Hopefully, in the future incidents like these will be avoided and the Thai justice system improved.

Best wishes for a complete recovery at least even though the process has been slow. Yes, a salutory lesson for everyone: choose carefully the moment to make a point or stand your ground because things can get nasty very quickly. We have all made those errors of judgement , fortunately without the nasty consequences.