Traffic light offence - How would you react?

My friend and neighbour passed through an intersection recently and was stopped by a traffic police officer. 'You passed a red light, 400 Baht' was the demand.

He hadn't and he knew it. His Thai wife also confirmed that. What's more he had a dash cam and he was sure that he could prove his case, but he fumbled with the camera because he was nervous and in frustration, gave up and paid the fine.

Both he and his wife were furious of course and later he managed bring up the clip on the dash cam. He showed me it and it was quite clear that there had been no violation. the light was green.

Are there any others out there had a similar experience? How did you handle it?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

turn the dash cam to record the policeman as he approaches and speaks to you.

they never ask for money when being recorded.

also don't pay cash fines, get the ticket, pay at the police station.

I would and have in the past argued...

One offence - I was stopped because my Tax was out of date... I was sure I was correct... I argued that my Tax expired in 3 months time, I kept arguing, the officer was laughing and arguing back, I was laughing and counter argued... After a few mins of back and forth I got out of my car and checked my Tax sticker in the Window... Whoops!!! I was wrong, my Tax had expired by 3 months !!!! The officer wanted a 400 baht fine... I said no way, he gets 100B or write me a ticket, he wanted 200 baht... I gave him 100 Baht, thanked him for spotting my mistake and drove off... While I was driving off he was still saying 200 baht.. 200 baht !!, but also laughing...

Another offence: I was flagged for speeding - they couldn't tell me what the speed limit is, they also couldn't tell me how fast I was going but insisted that a hidden Speed Camera some KM's back had spotted me speeding. I argued that if they knew I was speeding they could tell me how fast I was going... they couldn't. I got a bit peeved and told them not to waste my time, either charge me for speeding and write me a ticket or let me go. They let me go after telling me to drive safely !...

What would I have done if I was the OP ?: I would have argued, showed the Camera and refused to pay - Sometimes in situations such as this principle is paramount.

Some guys do get a little flustered when dealing with the BiB over here, I don't know why, they are just people.

What would I have done if I was the OP ?: I would have argued, showed the Camera and refused to pay - Sometimes in situations such as this principle is paramount.

Some guys do get a little flustered when dealing with the BiB over here, I don't know why, they are just people.

I find the Thai traffic police much easier to deal with than

1 The British police (overly officious)

2 The American Police (quite frankly frightening)

3 The Israeli police (who point a machine gun at your face)

I feel (rightly or wrongly) that the British police will always find some offence to book me with, and the American police may well shoot and kill me if any disagreement were to occur. The Israeli police let me go, after discussion, but their behavior (and gun positioning) while speaking to me, makes me poop my pants.

As RS says the Thai police act like normal human beings and I have no problems interacting with them.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I got stopped by the Israeli police for coming you of a free turn right at traffic lights too early. I should have waited until the broken lines ended before joining the carriage way. Anyway... He asked me for my license and then demanded a fine of xxx shekels. I told him I didn't have the cash on me. Ok.... Answer this question... What team do you support in England.

I believe that football is a girls game played by a bunch of fairies who should be at drama school but dug up from my mind.... Liverpool? Wrong answer was the reply. ... Ok.. What should I have replied?.... Manchester United.... oh, I like them also..... Big smile.... Off you go!

Edited by tolsti

When I worked on the East car at Chichester back in the late seventies.. We stopped a car which was being driven erratically and somewhat hesitantly on the A27. It had gone round a roundabout a couple of times and speed varied as well.

In those days we overtook hit the light bar with the stop sign and flagged people to pull over.

They pulled over and I picked up my document board and got out to go and speak to the driver.... I was amazed to find an elderly couple standing outside their vehicle with their hands on the roof.

Woah.... We don't do that here.... Please get back in the car while I talk with you.... Turned out they were a lovely American couple from some shitkicking redneck state who had hired a car at Gatwick Airport and were a bit lost.

We took them back to the station for a cup of tea and a set of maps to help them on their trip.

I find the Thai traffic police much easier to deal with than

1 The British police (overly officious)

2 The American Police (quite frankly frightening)

3 The Israeli police (who point a machine gun at your face)

I feel (rightly or wrongly) that the British police will always find some offence to book me with, and the American police may well shoot and kill me if any disagreement were to occur. The Israeli police let me go, after discussion, but their behavior (and gun positioning) while speaking to me, makes me poop my pants.

As RS says the Thai police act like normal human beings and I have no problems interacting with them.

While driving in the UK last year while driving at night on a country road I was getting pretty irritated as the headlights of the car behind were too bright in my rear view mirror. I was driving faster trying to get some distance between myself and the following far... I realised that I was getting a little fast and potentially dangerous for the B Class windy road, I chose to pull over to let the car behind pass instead.

After pulling over the car behind also pulled over behind me, then showed their 'Police' lights. When the officer approached my car I was pretty annoyed at him. I accused him of 'pushing' me to go faster and approach a potentially dangerous situation. I suggested that their actions could be classed as entrapment if I were to make a complaint.

The Police officer apologised and said he'd stop off at the station and get their lights looked at. Had he not responded that way I would have stopped off at the station myself to make a complaint.

I could act this way because I was aware of my rights, I'd also preempted any decision the UK BiB were going to make my taking safe action myself.

The key point is to remain confident, firm but also polite. This works well in Thailand and the UK although I'd also be an 'under-cracker pooper' in the US, Israel and many other countries I'm less familiar with.

Richard, when you are stopped by someone you despise to the depths of your soul for an offence you did not commit, it's very hard to maintain your composure. I was able to the other night when stopped by a filthy grub on Pratamnak hill for (not) running a red light, but promptly lost it the next day at Soi 9 police station when ordered to pay 1,000 baht. But I'm over it now. I'm cool. Relaxed. :)

I had this in Bang Saen I went through on green the cops were waving me and cars behind me through. They then blocked the road causing the cars to sit in the turn with no where to go when the red light come. They then pulled everyone over for jumping the red light.

Tried arguing with them that the light was green and they waved people through but they weren't interested.

They wanted 500 B at the station.

And they expect respect. cheesy.gif

Richard, when you are stopped by someone you despise to the depths of your soul for an offence you did not commit, it's very hard to maintain your composure. I was able to the other night when stopped by a filthy grub on Pratamnak hill for (not) running a red light, but promptly lost it the next day at Soi 9 police station when ordered to pay 1,000 baht. But I'm over it now. I'm cool. Relaxed. smile.png

I can understand that...

However, I don't despise the BiB to the depths of my soul, I'm quite indifferent. I don't care for them or against them, pretty much the same as any other stranger I meet - If pulled up by the BiB I make sure not to get angry with them, thats not because they are BiB its because they carry a gun in a country where accountability is somewhat lacking, but if I'm annoyed I don't hide it behind smiles and face, I'm prepared to argue (politely) if I feel its necessary.

For example, if Pulled over for running a red light when I hadn't, I'd probably laugh - I know the game, I know the BiB intentions and I know they can't prove anything (especially as I have a cam). The whole event would entertain me, but, it would wear thin if it became a regular occurrence. Fortunately I've been stopped by the BiB very few times.

As dealing with any stranger its simply best to maintain the composure of someone unflappable and in control.

Years ago i went through orange and it was nearly red but i did not stop because there was a car very close behind me and this car did not stop either.

After the light turned green i went on my way and started to hear a strange sound i thought came from a wheel bearing or something like that

The noise became louder and then i saw what it was,a police man on a moterbike trying to pass me,i let him pass and he let me know he wanted me to pull over.

He started to tell me in Thai i jumped a red light and i had to pay but he did not say how much.I have made the mistake before to talk back in English and the bib spoke it also.

This time i spoke to him in my own language and he looked at me like a lost boy.I noticed his motorbike was smoking and it smelled very hot,too much speed for the old bike.

He just looked at me and waved me off,i still feel kinda sorry for him.

I had a funny one, stopped too close to the intersection. Request 500 baht. I insisted on accompanying thee officer to the police station where he promptly dissappeared. The officer on the desk asked me what I had done and how much I was asked for. After telling him he said "that's too much for that, 250 baht" I guess I put it down to a funny story.

I was living in Pattaya about 25 years ago and bought a new car from Chon Buri, i had to go back there for its first service.

It was a hot day and i left off my shirt after collecting my car after servicing.

I drove away and made a u turn to go back home, 300 yards up the road and a cop waved me down he said i never stopped

at the u turn driving straight out, i said because there was no vehicles in sight, he said 500 baht so i got out and only had 1000

do you have change i asked, he smiled and said no, then he said you are a big guy which is true, so after a bit of banter i challenged

him to an arm wrestle for 1000 or nothing, he said he would call his boss to take me on.

After sizing me up he accepted took of his tunic and we adopted the usual position, at this time i realized i had made a big mistake.

If i beat which i was sure i could might he shoot me for losing face to his lower ranked assistant, i worried for a few moments then felt him

push so nature took over and i easily pressed him down.

Both him and his colleague were laughing and very friendly, for my part i was trying emphasize how strong he was, anyway i kept my money

and waved good bye.

The only time I have ever been stopped for 'speeding', up-country, and in the days when I still smoked, the copper was your typical aviators-and-tight-brown-shirt-over-paunch sleazebag, but he got up my nose mostly by addressing my girlfriend as Noo in the most belittling fashion, to the extent that I became determined to have my pound of flesh from him.

He opened his gambit with a demand for a couple of hundred Baht, but after an extended performance by me playing the 'no understand, no speak Thai, no money' dumb farang, we settled on a can of warm coke and a pack of Tong Ha.

Pay very close attention to what "MaeJoMTB" in post #4 says...

"...also don't pay cash fines, get the ticket, pay at the police station..."

If this cop had enough balls to actually give you a ticket (which he wouldn't) then by the time you had gotten to the station you would have had your camera figured out and you would have the cops name on the ticket and he would be nailed.

Good idea one poster had to turn the camera towards any cop who approaches the car. I will remember that.

Don't worry, current government is handling it, might take a few years/decades, so till then DO NOT stop for the traffic police.

"Sorry did not see you was looking at other cars/bikes/traffic, because with an intersection you never know whom goes through a red light."

A few years ago I got stopped for speeding in the middle of no mans land. My wife asked how he knew that I was speeding. The cop said 'we have radar over in that house', which obviously was a pack of lies. My wife told him that we were in a hurry and that I worked for UNESCO, which I don't. He said 'away you go'. The wife told me that he thought she had said Tesco's?

I had some staff working on the new bridge at NongKhai back in early 1990's and would drive up there often to show the flag and there was always a copstop about 30km north of Korat, I was always speeding according to them but whenever they asked where I was going and said to "the bridge job" it was "okay go go"; same back in the early MabTa Phut days, 1980's would always answer "I have a meeting with PTT" and it was okay go-go.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last year in Nong Bua Lam Phu. I also had a dash cam and a very irate wife beside me. The copper kept on and on and wasn't interested in the cam, so the wife butted in, advised him that she was also a government official and demanded to see his superior. Backed down at a hundred miles an hour. But if it had been me alone, despite being able to speak Thai, I probably would have ended up wearing the fine. Sometimes one has to thank god for small mercies, in this case, the missus.

1st they were too nervous to handle the dash cam and show counter-evidence, and secondly they allowed the cop to intimidate them and finally, 3rd, they paid basically admitting guilt, so what?

I would react by learning how to handle my dash cam first. Simple as that!

Edited by catweazle

Cant You ferangs leave Thais alone.Why not go shout at Amazonian Tribes.. You came here, no one forced You.Perhaps the Nanny State is better for you after all. Lost licence 1 year exceeding 70 MPH money not safety limit 5 times on desert road in USA. I love this place.instant justice.thumbsup.gif