You should expect to be called "Papa" by Thais on the street at what age?

OK. I'm getting the "Papa" thing a lot more recently, so I know it's for real ... not a random Thai or two with bad eyesight.

I'm not exactly broken up but it reminds me of when in the U.S. younger people starting calling me "Sir" and that wasn't thrilling either.

So how old were you when this started happening to you Papa ... IF it has yet?

I have never come across this, nor heard of it, asked the wife and neither has she.

The closest she could come up with was "Da" or "khun Da" (meaning Grandfather).

Guess there must be regional variations.smile.png

Pattaya region ... gigglem.gif

Hmm.

Kind of reminds me of PAPI that some Spanish speaking people use. Also English slang at least in the U.S.

PAPI is kind of hot at least compared to Papa.

post-37101-0-75519200-1431795795_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

So how old were you when this started happening to you Papa ...

i was 46, had already grey hair but was not amused ermm.gif

here's the story:

-tourist in Pattaya,

-sitting at a bar at Beach Road,

-light rain and cool,

-the working girls faces unhappy,

-i ask "why make grim faces?"

-got as answer "habb lain, falang stay hotel",

-i sez "it's nice and cool... what about me? am i no falang?

-answer "oh you same same papa!"

approximately 45 minutes later the lady was howling.

Edited by Naam

I think it must be a Pattaya thing.

Here in Chiang Mai, I know some situations where household staff call their bosses "Mama" and "Papa" -- people over age 55 -- but not strangers.

I've been called "panrayaa" by songthaew drivers, which mean means "wife" when I've had a nice chat in Thai after a fairly long drive around town, but only after the Q & A where we determined each other's ages, along with marital history, age, sex and number of children, country of origin, time in Thailand, hobbies and whatever else the driver could think to ask me. Oh, these were drivers very, very close to me in age, incidentally. Frankly, I thought it a bit cheeky the first time one did it, but there wasn't anything untoward really, I think more just a term that recognizes we're about the same age and same place in life's journey.

Come to think of it, the first time a songthaew driver played 20 questions asking me my age, marital status, number of children, I was pretty annoyed, too. Of course, I've come to realize how Thai people are just nosy and it's boring work driving a songthaew, so when a customer comes along who seems a little unusual and can speak some Thai, why try to have a conversation? At least I get to enjoy the aircon up front. Chiang Mai's a small town and over the years some of gotten to know me, at least by sight, and are willing to drop me off in front of my condo, even though I I don't ask because it's off the main road.

Edited by NancyL

Well, it seems I'm stuck with the Papa thing here at least.

Last night minding my own biz walking down the street I got ... Papa my fren lik yu ... okie dokie, whatever.coffee1.gif

No, I don't like the Papa thing, but I do prefer it to farang.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, it seems I'm stuck with the Papa thing here at least.

Last night minding my own biz walking down the street I got ... Papa my fren lik yu ... okie dokie, whatever.coffee1.gif

No, I don't like the Papa thing, but I do prefer it to farang.

Zimmer frame tells all, papa..........sad.png

Not even close, mate.

I step lively.

Hair isn't grey or bald either ...

Edited by Jingthing

OK, so obviously if they're calling you old it's based on looks and perception unless they're checking your age from your I.D.

It doesn't really seem disrespectful, the opposite actually. I have bigger problems and was just curious.

Yes ... down here in Krabi land ... Papa... I here it often. It has been explained to me - older Uncle. In every case it seems to be a respectful term. In the context and situations that I have been called Papa it has seemed appropriate - the maids didn't know my name or if they did using my name would have been too familiar and inappropriate. It has seemed a bit like being a village elder. Maybe it is a new thing and they have picked it up from some TV show... that's my bet.

Hubby just returned from his morning 10K walk around Chiang Mai city. I asked him if people call him Papa. He thought for a long time and said "if you have a lot of grey hair and look infirm then people call you Papa, but no they don't call me Papa." So what do they call you? I asked. "My name if they know it, but otherwise Farang" Yes, I guess it is better than "Farang".

I feel that selective "deafness" could be a bit of a problem here with some of the posters.

Don't forget, you also have to take into account the age of the person calling you "papa".

Teenager, or someone in their twenties is understandable. It's when they're in their forties and fifties that it gets worrisome.

Edited by KarenBravo