Samsung S6 Edge - Beware

rak sa_ngop

If you have purchased the official Samsung plastic clear view cover (front flap covers the screen) for your new Samsung S6 Edge phone, be aware that there are now numerous reports of the Gorilla glass screen being scratched and damaged by the cover.

I have the Edge and after using the cover for 7 days I noticed a number scratches and pits on the front glass. If you don't believe how a plastic cover can gouge into Gorilla glass just google 'Samsung S6 Edge scratched screen' and read the reports from round the world.

I will be visiting Samsung on Monday morning!

Edited by rak sa_ngop

I posted this in the General forum intentionally as many TV members do not visit the telecoms forum and will remain ignorant of the problem.

Believe me if you had paid 28,000 baht for a phone and then see it heavily scratched within a week you would have wished somebody had told you how to avoid this.

Ive seen the other reports on the internet, pretty poor for this to be happening.

I was fortunate with the S6 edge, I was poised to buy one but as Samsung dicked me with my missus's phone (bricked itself doing a an official update and Samsung said too bad too sad when I asked to have it sorted under warranty (phone was still well within the warranty period).

We both now have the Zenfone 2, great phone and cheap compared to the samsung crap.

Does anyone offer a sacrificial screen protector for the curved screen, similar to the ones for 100 baht for flat screen phones?

I suspect the normal static cling wouldn't work on a curved screen unless the sacrificial cover is pre-curved.

Ive seen the other reports on the internet, pretty poor for this to be happening.

I was fortunate with the S6 edge, I was poised to buy one but as Samsung dicked me with my missus's phone (bricked itself doing a an official update and Samsung said too bad too sad when I asked to have it sorted under warranty (phone was still well within the warranty period).

We both now have the Zenfone 2, great phone and cheap compared to the samsung crap.

Where did you buy and how much did you pay for Zenfone 2 ? What are the specs?

Don where did you get the zenphone 2? I was in tukcom a few days ago and they only had the 5 & 6. The zenphone 5 was 5.700thb

I posted this in the General forum intentionally as many TV members do not visit the telecoms forum and will remain ignorant of the problem.

Believe me if you had paid 28,000 baht for a phone and then see it heavily scratched within a week you would have wished somebody had told you how to avoid this.

Whilst your info is welcome, please don't presume what other TV members visit. I personally rarely visit the General and always the tech sections. Thanks to the mod for moving this otherwise I might have missed it.

Lazada has the Zenphone-2, B9000++ for the 16GB version, imported but Lazada website claims one year warranty Should be less when it finally hits the open market, whenever that will be. Asus seem's to be having problems keeping up with demand.

According to what I read, there will very soon be a flood of 2gb RAM/16-32/ROM models with premium features such as 4G, 1920x1280 displays and improved cameras, front and rear, many in the under US$300 (B9000) range. Xiaomi, One+, Lenovo, Meiju all have new releases ready to roll.

The phone business adapts quickly to the market. This should be an interesting year for phone geeks...such as myself.

Edited by dddave

Lazada has the Zenphone-2, B9000++ for the 16GB version, imported but Lazada website claims one year warranty Should be less when it finally hits the open market, whenever that will be. Asus seem's to be having problems keeping up with demand.

According to what I read, there will very soon be a flood of 2gb RAM/16-32/ROM models with premium features such as 4G, 1920x1280 displays and improved cameras, front and rear, many in the under US$300 (B9000) range. Xiaomi, One+, Lenovo, Meiju all have new releases ready to roll.

The phone business adapts quickly to the market. This should be an interesting year for phone geeks...such as myself.

Lazada warranty? cheesy.gif

I will be visiting Samsung on Monday morning!

Good luck with that....

Not sure if the above reply is tinged with a daub of sarcasm but I can now report that I visited the Samsung Service Centre on Silom Road (opposite Bangkok Bank Head office).

I arrived at 9.00 am. The staff were not initially admitting that the knew about the problem but it was pretty clear that they did. So they checked their stock and surprisingly they had a replacement screen in stock, so by 11.30 am my phone was sporting a brand new virgin screen.

They have kept my old case so will wait for them to refund the price of the case at a later date.

Credit were credit due, they did a good job.

But get there quick if you have a scratched screen. I think there might be a bit of a rush on any day soon!

The Crystal screen protector looks like it is just a flat film, so does not curve at the edges to cover the whole glass screen.

Is that right? Has anybody tried this protector?

Do the edges of the protector start to lift up with use as the fingers swipe across the screen?

They have kept my old case so will wait for them to refund the price of the case at a later date.

... but nicked your case. Jeez.

Nicked the case that caused the damage that led to a warranty.

I'd call that "a favor", not a theft...

There's two other problems arising that have put me off getting one for the wife;

Paint is chipping from the camera bezel

The accelerometer is overheating (caused by close proximity to the charge port) and locking in it's last good orientation.

We've decided to wait for HW revision 2.

This is what the Gorilla Glass Team say.

Although this is a decision that individual consumers will make for themselves, we believe that display protectors are not necessary for devices with Gorilla Glass. The exceptional damage resistance of Gorilla Glass alone helps to protect today’s most sophisticated electronic devices from the abuses of everyday life.

... but nicked your case. Jeez.

Nicked the case that caused the damage that led to a warranty.

I'd call that "a favor", not a theft...

Seeing as the phone is deficient, they might as well have kept the phone and handed back the case.

Looking at the price of the S6 Edge, they're actually more expensive than an iPhone 6 Plus.

I'll stick with a 6 Plus.

Gorilla Glass main claim to fame is it's high resistance to "breakage"; but it can still be scratched/pitted And of course breakage can still occur....high resistance don't mean it can't be broke.

Seeing as the phone is deficient, they might as well have kept the phone and handed back the case.

Looking at the price of the S6 Edge, they're actually more expensive than an iPhone 6 Plus.

I'll stick with a 6 Plus.

Or an S6 without the edge, for 4000 baht less, with 100 baht disposable screen savers at every kiosk in Pantip.

I'm of the opinion that the "edge" feature is just a gimmick anyway.

Where did you buy and how much did you pay for Zenfone 2 ? What are the specs?

Zenfone 2 is available in MBK Bangkok for about 7990. A few shops are selling them.

Check the Thai website ''Specfone'' for the specs.

• 1 year later...