US is willing to take in Rohingya boat people

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Do you think the US is going to settle them somewhere out in the prairie or in the Tundra of Alaska?"

Probably.

They put Hmong Lao farmer refugees into big cities including some in Minnesota. It took those people a long time to get to Fresno where they could farm and be out of the snow. The unlucky ones were just left in camps in Thailand for many years.

Anyway there is no statement that the US will be accepting any of them, only that if a lot of conditions are met, they will help address the issue. Blah, blah, blah.

Edited by Dante99

Stupid move by the US, spending our tax dollars to take care of Southeast Asia problems. Everyone wants to US to help. Screw these people, take care of your own. Where is China now? You don't hear a damn word from them. Afraid they will upset their buddies in Myanmar

Don't worry. They will spend so little it will never be noticed.

Bless America for this they are often there for people in crisis.Not as often as could be, but often.

An honorable mention to Indonesia and Malaysia for their recent policy of help to the Boat People

Thailand, Burma, Hello Hello!!

Clearly these people need a homeland. Why not keep them in Asia and take a page from China. The Chinese have shown us how to build up islands from nothing, so why not create some artificial islands just off the Gulf of Oman with enough food and supplies to get them started. If some happen to make boats and end up in Oman, Iran or UAE then surely their Muslim brothers will help them out.

They will displace Mexicans as cheap labor for McDonald's. I guess the big mac knew they were coming that is why they did want to lift their minimum wage.

Does anyone know what Rohingya food tastes like?

The Vietnamese came and now Pho is as American as apple pie.

These waves of exotic immigration enrich us all.

I feel sorry for them, but does the US need any more Muslims during these troubling times?

And allow me to add, does any Western country need any more Muslims during these troubling times?blink.png

They will displace Mexicans as cheap labor for McDonald's. I guess the big mac knew they were coming that is why they did want to lift their minimum wage.

yes , it's doing wonders for the likes of Sweden and France.

Stupid move by the US, spending our tax dollars to take care of Southeast Asia problems. Everyone wants to US to help. Screw these people, take care of your own. Where is China now? You don't hear a damn word from them. Afraid they will upset their buddies in Myanmar

I disagree. We should truly be the melting pot, welcoming people, especially those in such plights as the Rohingya, ... I would genuinely like the US to live by the words "Send me your tired, your poor huddled masses." That is what made America great, and what will keep it great.

These people do appear to be a huddled mass....so they qualify automatically. Or we could just give back the statue of liberty back to france.

yes , it's doing wonders for the likes of Sweden and France.

The USA does a much better job with Muslim integration than Europe and that is a fact.

The numbers we are talking about here are not significant anyway.

The last thing the US needs now is MORE MUSLIMS in it's borders, as it is they have way

too many that went radicalized crazy in killing people in the misguided names of every

stupid Muslim/Islam reasons...

once those Rohigyas gets settled and fattened up and starting going to mosques, this is when

they get the venom pumped into them to hate the ' big Satan (US) and the small Satan (Israel)....

You want to help them? buy them some cheap land in Burma or Bangladesh,, this is where

they belong....

Edited by ezzra

History doesn't support that fear. Why wouldn't new Muslims in the USA integrate as well as the previous ones?

As an American Jew who knows about how shabby the US reaction was to helping Jews flee from Europe in the WW2 era, when I see a persecuted minority that is suffering real genocide, I want the USA to do better than that with them, Muslim or whatever.

Edited by Jingthing

History doesn't support that fear. Why wouldn't new Muslims in the USA integrate as well as the previous ones?

Because Jihad seems to be a growing phenomenon. Previous Muslims did not have that distraction or social media to spread it.

Because Jihad seems to be a growing phenomenon. Previous Muslims did not have that distraction or social media to spread it.

Understood, but at least so far the interest in the US to join ISIS has been very minimal compared to other countries in the west. There is something different going on with American Muslims and I don't see why the assumption that will change for the worse. Sure, it might, but it hasn't as yet.

The last thing the US needs now is MORE MUSLIMS in it's borders, as it is they have way

too many that went radicalized crazy in killing people in the misguided names of every

stupid Muslim/Islam reasons...

once those Rohigyas gets settled and fattened up and starting going to mosques, this is when

they get the venom pumped into them to hate the ' big Satan (US) and the small Satan (Israel)....

You want to help them? buy them some cheap land in Burma or Bangladesh,, this is where

they belong....

You have to get the govts there to actually recognise them as citizens first.

Since did people have to belong anywhere. People belong everywhere.

Save their lives first. Then worry about the details. This is something the world can do because the numbers are not really that high. The VERY tricky part is distinguishing the actual genocide risk people vs. more standard economic migrants. Yes, it's cold but absorption of economic migrants needs to be controlled.

Edited by Jingthing

Asian problem, Asian fix. I don't see any Asian countries accepting Hispanic

immigrants........And yes, still waiting for the self proclaimed new super power

China to step forward and do something. Or is this what we can look forward

to as China rules the world, indifference... :-)

I sure could use me a good burrito about now.

As an American Jew who knows about how shabby the US reaction was to helping Jews flee from Europe in the WW2 era, when I see a persecuted minority that is suffering real genocide, I want the USA to do better than that with them, Muslim or whatever.

Then using that arguement perhaps the home of persecuted people, Israel, could take a few thousand more Muslim persecuted Rohingya minorities.

I have meet may Jews that are liberal like you but to us blacks you are just Jews that are ashamed of being Jew

And believe me the Black Muslims hate all Jews equally

Thats interesting considering the only muslim country that does not allow churches and/synagogues is Saudi Arabia. Every other muslim country has them and most have thriving christian and jewish people.

The post regarding "thriving" christian and jewish communities is so incorrect that one would actually have to search deeply to find an instance where this is the fact.

Christians, as one example, are experiencing what may be the greatest genocide since Roman persecution. Thriving?

"Do you think the US is going to settle them somewhere out in the prairie or in the Tundra of Alaska?"

Probably.

They put Hmong Lao farmer refugees into big cities including some in Minnesota. It took those people a long time to get to Fresno where they could farm and be out of the snow. The unlucky ones were just left in camps in Thailand for many years.

Anyway there is no statement that the US will be accepting any of them, only that if a lot of conditions are met, they will help address the issue. Blah, blah, blah.

There were Hmong, Cambodians and Vietnamese settled throughout the US. NGO's from the various states put forth a plan for resettlement and they will be placed where the services that they need can be provided. If they wish to move they can -- which is something they do not have the right to do in their country of origin.

The primary need that needs to be met is that they qualify for refugee status as determined by the UNHCR.

I don't know if the US needs any more Muslims or not, but it appears that these Muslims need the US.

They will be screened to determine who is a refugee and who is an economic migrant -- in this case those coming from Myanmar will almost all be refugees. They will receive medical evaluations and then there will be a selection process for resettlement. Prior to being resettled, they will be given some cultural orientation to assist with their adjustment. They will be assigned to various NGO's throughout the country to aid in housing, jobs etc..

Those with criminal backgrounds won't be allowed resettlement in the US or most other countries.

They will eventually get situated, get passports and then return to their home country for visits to family and friends and the pressure will mount on Myanmar to start treating them right.

In the meantime, the UN should be (and I assume will) put pressure on Myanmar to clean up its act.

The number of people who are allowed to immigrate to the US is set by Congress I believe, and the Executive branch has to set the refugee numbers within that limit. Any one who can enter as an immigrant (as opposed to a refugee), must do so. That means if they have family in the US, they will enter as an immigrant and not as a refugee.

The screening process under the Obama administration is a joke. No one will be screened. They will all be let in wholesale. Why? Because they will all become Democrat voters for the next liberal radical Hillary Clinton or equivalent in the White House.

I have meet may Jews that are liberal like you but to us blacks you are just Jews that are ashamed of being Jew

Thats interesting considering the only muslim country that does not allow churches and/synagogues is Saudi Arabia. Every other muslim country has them and most have thriving christian and jewish people.

The post regarding "thriving" christian and jewish communities is so incorrect that one would actually have to search deeply to find an instance where this is the fact.

Christians, as one example, are experiencing what may be the greatest genocide since Roman persecution. Thriving?

Some Muslim countries might allow churches and synagogues to exist, but conversion by Muslims to other faiths is forbidden under sharia and converts are considered apostates. Many Muslim clerics equate this apostasy to treason, a crime punishable by death.

I don't know if the US needs any more Muslims or not, but it appears that these Muslims need the US.

They will be screened to determine who is a refugee and who is an economic migrant -- in this case those coming from Myanmar will almost all be refugees. They will receive medical evaluations and then there will be a selection process for resettlement. Prior to being resettled, they will be given some cultural orientation to assist with their adjustment. They will be assigned to various NGO's throughout the country to aid in housing, jobs etc..

Those with criminal backgrounds won't be allowed resettlement in the US or most other countries.

They will eventually get situated, get passports and then return to their home country for visits to family and friends and the pressure will mount on Myanmar to start treating them right.

In the meantime, the UN should be (and I assume will) put pressure on Myanmar to clean up its act.

The number of people who are allowed to immigrate to the US is set by Congress I believe, and the Executive branch has to set the refugee numbers within that limit. Any one who can enter as an immigrant (as opposed to a refugee), must do so. That means if they have family in the US, they will enter as an immigrant and not as a refugee.

The screening process under the Obama administration is a joke. No one will be screened. They will all be let in wholesale. Why? Because they will all become Democrat voters for the next liberal radical Hillary Clinton or equivalent in the White House.

The screening process under the Obama administration is a joke? The Obama administration does not do the screening. The US gov't doesn't do the screening. The screening is done by the UNHCR and the people working for the UN are from all over the world. The UNHCR then decides which country to present them to for resettlement.

Some Muslim countries might allow churches and synagogues to exist, but conversion by Muslims to other faiths is forbidden under sharia and converts are considered apostates. Many Muslim clerics equate this apostasy to treason, a crime punishable by death.

And many dont consider it apostacy. It is still debated among clerics.

No easy answer to this one. However, once word of this gets back to people in Rakhine, it's only going to motivate more to make the perilous journey in the hopes that they will be picked up and be able to live out the rest of their days in sunny California (whether or not that's the life waiting for them is irrelevant). Of course, this is also in the interest of the Myanmar authorities - they would like nothing more than to be rid of the Rohingya once and for all. So expect a whole lot of foot-dragging when it comes to dealing with the problem at the source. They can just sit back and let the US do the ethnic cleansing for them, as well-intentioned and honourable as it may be.

I'm not advocating letting people die at sea. But I do wonder and worry about the incentives that are being created here. In this vein, I highly recommend this classic article: On the Folly of Rewarding A, While Hoping for B (http://www.ou.edu/russell/UGcomp/Kerr.pdf). This decision by the US would be a perfect fit in an updated version of Kerr's piece.