TV catches fire

Evilbaz

This afternoon my 4 y.o. LG TV spontaneously caught fire.

First there was a burning smell, then a small flame then in seconds 2-3 feet flames out of the back of the TV.

Luckily there was a hose just outside on the patio.

The back of the TV has melted and destroyed the cabinet top it sits on and the acrid black smoke has spread sticky black particles throughout the house.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Can anyone assist with an english speaking contact at LG Thailand HQ ? - this is a serious fault and safety problem.

Most likely the power supply in the tv over-heated and then ignited dust particles in the back of the screen. My Tv did something almost similar. Basically the power point in the Tv blew and luckily I turned it off before it could start a fire. Luckily there was no damage to anything so a local guy who for a hobby fixes electrical goods replaced my broken power point for 1,800 baht and it has been running like a dream since. Typical that my warranty had expired for the TV just two months previous.

Most likely the power supply in the tv over-heated and then ignited dust particles in the back of the screen. My Tv did something almost similar. Basically the power point in the Tv blew and luckily I turned it off before it could start a fire. Luckily there was no damage to anything so a local guy who for a hobby fixes electrical goods replaced my broken power point for 1,800 baht and it has been running like a dream since. Typical that my warranty had expired for the TV just two months previous.

As regarding the OP, check that all the wiring and power points in your home are in order and grounded properly.

I check mine every year, never take safety for granted in Thailand.

At only 4 years old this was an LCD/LED or plasma TV.

It's extremely unusual (but certainly not unknown) for a small switching power supply to fail catastrophically and result in a fire, at worst they usually just go bang and make a nasty smell.

I suspect (like others above) that there was something inside the TV that acted as fuel, possibly an ants nest or similar, which kept the blaze going long enough for the plastic case to catch (resulting in the acrid smoke).

Has the TV had a repair at any point that could have compromised its internal protection (front end fuse)?

If you have the urge take some photos and post them on LG's Facebore and Titter pages you never know something nice could happen (and you would warn other owners to take care). Post the photos here as well.

EDIT A quick Google revealed this http://www.christianpost.com/news/flat-screen-tv-recall-includes-thousands-of-tvs-that-could-catch-fire-110700/ is yours one of these?

"there was a hose just outside. ..."

Not a good idea to put water on an electrical fire.

LOL, I was reading the other posts thinking "has no-one picked up that he put water on an electrical fire?" :)

LOL, I was reading the other posts thinking "has no-one picked up that he put water on an electrical fire?" smile.png

He is obviously well enough to post so couldn't have done any harm whistling.gif

Well the hose rapidly extinguished what was by then a large fire and prevented the room/house from burning down.

One person immediately turned off the master electrical switch before another turned on the hose.

What would you have done?

Yes the house wiring is earthed - farang installed.

Any contact details anyone for LG Thailand? (I've searched).

Any contact details anyone for LG Thailand? (I've searched).

http://www.lg.com/th/support/contact-customer-support email and phone numbers.

No guarantee anyone will answer of course.

Thanks for that Crossy.

I'll give it a burl.

The insurance assessor arrives soon so I'll load it onto him first.

They've been great with small car bingles.

Great to hear you have insurance, leave it to them :)

By the way, I too would have used the hose (we actually have extinguishers scattered around the house). The actual danger from the electricity is much lower than that from the fire although the general rule of no water until the power is off is a good catch-all.

LOL, I was reading the other posts thinking "has no-one picked up that he put water on an electrical fire?" smile.png

He is obviously well enough to post so couldn't have done any harm whistling.gif

Prior to the OP's follow-up, there was no mention of it not still being live. So rewinding a bit, just because someone survives a highly dangerous act, doesn't mean it's therefore safe, or smart :)

You assumed it was live - " Assumption is the Mother of all fkups ".

Holy Heesuz - basic emergency response to an electrical fire is to yank out the plug then put out a rapidly increasing fire by any available means.

They taught me that in the Boy Scouts 60 years ago!

You have no idea probably how quickly this spread in 20-30 seconds.

As I am disabled and don't move too fast these days thank Buddha there was two TGs here to help me.

I'm proud of there rapid and sensible obeying of orders (even if they thought I was yelling "Papaya, papaya!" )

The insurance assessor has been and technicians are to be sent by LG H.Q. (who seem quite concerned).

Last year our Microwave Oven became a Dr. Frankenstein's lab fixtures, spewing electrical streamers everywhere when turned on.

Upon disassembly I found an addition of a new Jing-Jok lightning circuit added to the output of a capacitor.

Once removed, everything back to normal.

Well actually it took the family a bit longer to be comfortable with the microwave again.

We had an extension cord that starting arcing on the female end, and since it was outside I let it keep going. Appeared that the melting plastic was carbonizing and it supported a corona for what I would estimate five minutes. The conductors finally shorted out and popped the breaker, but that buzzing arc was impressive. 240 volts AC supports that type of arc a lot better than 120 VAC I am accustomed to in the West so I can see why unplugging items not in use is prudent in Thailand.

Just an update.

The Insurance offer is measly.

LG have thoroughly checked out the room and TV.

The result is a new TV gratis (bigger) is promised and they have admitted all their fault (third fire in LOS).

I wait ...

Just an update.

The Insurance offer is measly.

LG have thoroughly checked out the room and TV.

The result is a new TV gratis (bigger) is promised and they have admitted all their fault (third fire in LOS).

I wait ...

Evilbaz,

If this is going to become an LG "undocumented feature" for certain sets purchased in Thailand, I wonder if it would be helpful to post the model number so other people can be cautioned to unplug the damned thing while away ...or sleeping.

Has anyone ever done a product recalls in Thailand?

But - this TV was on and I was watching it.

But I take your point.

However you'll understand if I wait until the new one arrives (I hope it's LED 555!)

If this is your worry - then unplug any TV when you leave the room.

Archived