PEA blames third-party techs for Pattaya wiring problems

Rimmer

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a mess an absolute shambles there doesn't appear to be any regulation regarding application of cables the pea should be in control and its apparent they are not the companies involved should be fined and told to fix the problem.

PEA should not only instruct companies that rent space on its poles to remove dead lines but also to dispose of the cabling in an approved manner. Recently 3BB removed a disused cable alongside a road close to my house and the operatives just left the old cable lying in the road - typical of the average Thai worker, I might add.

That must be itchy under the skin when BS appears and no farrang in sight to blame.

I would like to sneak in the “war room” with a dozen officials trying to find a way to blame this mess on the downfall of the Ruble, Greece’s kick out of the EU, the cancellation of flights from Japan, or the complaints by the Chinese authorities to save their citizens from being cheated.

Edited by Lupatria

Only a fraction of the cabling in the photo belongs to phone and tv. Based on the diameter of almost everything there, it is power cable.

It is amazing to me that many Thai businesses do not know much about how business is executed. Don't they know how much cable the poles will hold? Are there codes and specs about how the cable should be installed. Are there trained, knowledgeable inspectors that inspect work being done by in-house people as well as third parties? Is there a published commercial electrical code? Are the people who do the work training and tested to make sure they know what they are doing?

I realize that this may sound like an American farang trying to overlay how it is done in America on Thailand. But sometimes I get the feeling that the people in charge really do not know now it is done, correctly. One medium sized Thai manufacturing company I am familiar with found themselves with a knowledge base that was 40-50 years old. This was caused by the people who did once upon a time learn how to do their jobs refusing to train anyone else (quick way to lock in job security) and getting away with it.

As with so many areas in Thai society, there really is a fundamental need to learn how to do things from people who do know how to do them. Something line electrical distribution is not as complicated as the educational system. Things like this are good places to start and truly is the low hanging fruit.

Why dont they lay the cables in the ground like most western countries ?

Cost I expect....would be a lot more expensive. And it would take a heck of a lot more approvals when it comes to digging....messing up roads, sidewalks, waterlines, possibly gas lines, entrances into lots owned by people, etc., due to the digging....if it was not approved and done right they would have an army of disgruntled citizens complaining. But stringing another cable on a pole is, fast, easy, and cheap....and usually don't upset anyone. It may not be pretty...but it's fast and cheap...and don't require any long term planning for underground wiring needs for years into the future.

Maybe they're waiting for universal wi-fi internet. That's what I had in Australia, fast, efficient and not a cable anywhere. All came from a tower in the district.

Panya said PEA has contacted all the companies renting space on its pole to address the problem and remove dead lines. However, he acknowledged the process may take time as all the work requests must make their way through corporate bureaucracies and be approved by head offices in Bangkok.

Surely a condition for putting the new cable up is to take the old cable down then the new installer will have his BOND refunded ?

Only a fraction of the cabling in the photo belongs to phone and tv. Based on the diameter of almost everything there, it is power cable.

No, I expect all of that low hanging cable is cable TV/internet, single phone lines, and "multi-strand" phone/DSL cable (e.g., 25 or more phone/DSL line pairs in one trunk cable about a half inch in diameter).

That involves common sense and having the smarts to create maps and install sensors.

I did hear from a friend in Phuket that they are starting (in certain places) to bury the cables and apparently the areas look much better for it.

Apparently last year they were digging up Rawai beach road for new sewers but it didn't occur to them to liaise with PEA to bury the cables at the same time and save a load of money.

I'm afraid the lights are on but nobody is home.

Install sensors?

I don't think it would be such a good idea to bury cable with sewer pipe.

Typical reaction to put the blame on others.

Anyway, as the PEA allows other companies to use their poles, the PEA has to check wether those companies properly install the wires.

So Pea is responsible here.

Easiest way is to employ some guys who by the night will cut all this mess in couple of places then take closer look how those companies will fix them again properly...

giggle.gif .....problem solved.laugh.png

coffee1.gif

IMHO, the PEA are absolutley correct in blaming the various assortment of independant Cable TV and Internet providers.

Non of these companies " clears up " ( a typical Thai trait ) the mess, after they have made a new connection, or corrected a fault.

These so called Technician guys, race around all day fixing stuff Etc, and they have no time to clear away the old wiring Etc.

Or maybe ... their employers have told them not to clean up, as they have to waste time, and money disposing of the offending wiring and cables in a responsible corporate manner.

Recyclers are always appropriating copper cable - maybe this has some value to them. If PEA could provide a couple of supervisors, could the recyclers remove dead cable? Their "pay" would be what they get from the recycling? Relatively cheap for PEA (the cost of a couple of supervisors) and the poles could be cleaned up. :)

The cable mess is indicative of the way politics,traffic control,licensing laws,land ownership and zoning of industry,commercial and residential plots is done here.I also maintain it is indicative of the thought processes of the people running this place!

IMHO, the PEA are absolutley correct in blaming the various assortment of independant Cable TV and Internet providers.

Really? It is the responsibility of the PEA and they should ensure that "the companies" comply with PEA requirements!

Sounds like PEA wants to be payed as the authority, but does not want accountability or responsibility - the latter two should go hand in hand with authority. coffee1.gif

As for a solution, perhaps PEA could fix the mess and bill all the companies using their poles. Any unused cables could be sold off. And then start enforcing their (PEA) requirements.

Would it happen? Nah, don't think so. The "problem" will remain for years to come, bogged down in bureaucracy forever whistling.gif

Do you actually live in Thailand?

It is hard to believe.

Please go to a construction site and look at the level of the water table.

Now, add a monsoon to that ...

But really, do you live in the Kingdom?

Non of these companies " clears up " ( a typical Thai trait ) the mess, after they have made a new connection, or corrected a fault.

These so called Technician guys, race around all day fixing stuff Etc, and they have no time to clear away the old wiring Etc.

Or maybe ... their employers have told them not to clean up, as they have to waste time, and money disposing of the offending wiring and cables in a responsible corporate manner.

Dear Cake Monster,

You. better than most, should know you can not have your cake and eat it too.

Which is it ---

"they have no time to clear away the old wiring Etc."

"...employers have told them not to clean up, as they have to waste time, and money..."

Or BOTH.

I love postings that offer a complaint, and the actual reason for the problem.

What exactly is your point?

You have offered the problem, a sound reason for it, but not the obvious solution.

Pay companies to get rid of this mess, and brace yourself for the new higher cost of power to your home, telephone, internet, and yes .. even the price of street food .

Is that what you suggest? Because the last time I checked, no company anywhere adds none profit generating costs to make you happy.