Yes or no? Ireland decides whether to legalize gay marriage

Lite Beer

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ireland.

For your marriage equality advocates, the FAT LADY has sung:

Apt lyrics from Serbia / Eurovision 2015.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2015/05/23/photos-joyful-historic-day-marriage-ireland#slide-1

This is not only news for Ireland. It is news for the world. The first nationwide successful popular vote for marriage equality anywhere. Irish people, you should be very proud.

post-37101-0-69651400-1432411947_thumb.j

Got tears? crying.gif

Edited by Jingthing

The yes votes may have been even more had the Catholic Church not made such an issue of it and perhaps even kept the same silence as it has with all the cases in England Australia and America where priests were engaged in paedophilia. Bunch of hypocritesbah.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Hmmmm, Would they have re run the referendum if it went the wrong way like they did with a seperate one a few years ago?

Where does ireland stand on abortion, contraception, divorce or hatred of the English these days?

Edited by evadgib

While they are distracting you on a non event , they are probably sliding in some tax increases and removing some other freedoms governments are dishonest and we need a fairer system.

----------------------

I saw it on CNN news this morning as "breaking news"...... it was a Yes vote.

Same sex marriages are now legal in Ireland.

Hmmmm, Would they have re run the referendum if it went the wrong way like they did with a seperate one a few years ago?

Where does ireland stand on abortion, contraception, divorce or hatred of the English these days?

Divorce was legalised in 1996.

Contraception is legal.

Abortion is now legal if it threatens the mother's health.

The vice-like grip of the Catholic Church on the Irish people is slowly being broken.

Yesterday was a great day.

thumbsup.gif

No interest here is there? Of course. Why are so many things illegal that do not harm other people?

To give lawyers jobs.

What exactly is illegal that does not harm other people?

The Christian religion does not accept homosexuality and marriage is a religious institution ergo the Chuch can't accept homosexual marriage.

I am not against state approved non religious unions though.

It's ironic though. Heteros are realising that marriage is a con and abandoning it, while homosexuals are wanting to fall into the trap.

Not correct. Not all Christian faiths reject gays and gay marriage. You are mistaking Christian for Roman Catholic.

Marriage has long since ceased to be a religious institution in most countries - it is a legal process that can either be carried out within or without a church.

I am an Irish atheist and my TV vote is a strong Yes. The Catholic church there has lost it's overbearing dominence of the Irish people I'm glad to say.

I have no problem with two homosexuals wishing to put themselves into an outdated con, but they shouldn't then be trying to have a wedding ceremony in a church that doesn't accept homosexuality. This has happened in the USA.

Marriage has long since ceased to be a religious institution in most countries - it is a legal process that can either be carried out within or without a church.

Exactly. So those that are not religious should not be having the ceremony in a church.

Most people that have stopped attending church, I would imagine did it for the same reason as myself- it is just not relevant anymore. When I realised that church service was full of hypocrytes that only gave lip service to Christianity, and the priest was just mouthing pointless generalities, I stopped going.

Ireland.

For your marriage equality advocates, the FAT LADY has sung:

Apt lyrics from Serbia / Eurovision 2015.

http://www.advocate.com/world/2015/05/23/photos-joyful-historic-day-marriage-ireland#slide-1

This is not only news for Ireland. It is news for the world. The first nationwide successful popular vote for marriage equality anywhere. Irish people, you should be very proud.

attachicon.gifYesVotes.jpg

Got tears? crying.gif

It is news for the world

Given that the number of homosexuals ( at least in the western world ) is no more than 20%, this is a non event, especially for the "world" much of which wants to either kill homosexuals or just criminalises them.

The success of homosexuals in the west is in convincing the media that they are more prevelant/ important than they really are.

It is true that gay people are a small minority, probably closer to 2 percent than 20 percent, but the vote in Ireland was about much more than securing equal civil rights for a minority, but actually a statement about how the majority of the people of Ireland envision the future of their country. Modern and progressive or tied to the conservative church. They have chosen.

The news for the world, the historic news, is that Ireland is indeed the first country where this kind of civil rights victory for gay people was won by a national popular vote. Now, many or perhaps most countries couldn't do that even if they wanted to, as they don't have a national referendum voting process possibility for issues and/or constitutional changes. But it is still remarkable and historic and it wasn't even close.

Imagine if 20 years ago, someone asserted that in 20 years a country like Ireland would vote OVERWHELMINGLY nationwide to approve legal gay marriage ... you would correctly thought they were insane.

To add, to those who don't like gay marriage, there isn't really a problem for you. Just don't marry a gay guy ... "problem" solved.

Edited by Jingthing

I am 100 percent Irish and i do not believe in gay marriages. I live in Thailand at the present time but all the true Irish Catholics should respond just like there ancestors would have. Ireland Forever!

I am probably 75% Irish.

You should mince back to Ireland with a thick-cut Richmond up your jacksie.

Your name is quite fitting, by the way.

Imagine if 20 years ago, someone asserted that in 20 years a country like Ireland would vote OVERWHELMINGLY nationwide to approve legal gay marriage ... you would correctly thought they were insane.

Thirty years ago, when it was put forth that use of condoms prevents the spread of AIDS, Ireland balked at making them available as it was seen as a promoting contraception.

Now this. Who'da thunk?

What a sick world we live in. Muslims slaughtering people because of their insane beliefs and men marrying men and women marrying women.

So to you gay and lesbian people are sick?

You're an old guy, eh?

59,590 posts !

So you haven't got a life, eh?

You're an old guy, eh?

59,590 posts !

I'm sure he has a life, he's just an active and valuable poster on TVF.... I don't always see eye-to-eye with him but usually find his posts insightful...

Edited by granuaile

What a sick world we live in. Muslims slaughtering people because of their insane beliefs and men marrying men and women marrying women.

You're an old guy, eh?

59,590 posts !

Egads. It seems an Ad Homo-man feeding frenzy has been unleashed. Duck and cover before it gets ugly!

You're an old guy, eh?

59,590 posts !

I'm sure he has a life, she's just an active and valuable poster on TVF.... I don't always see eye-to-eye with him but usually find his posts insightful...

Excuse me, but nobody calls me she except the Albino dwarf that does my anal bleaching.

I'm sure he has a life, she's just an active and valuable poster on TVF.... I don't always see eye-to-eye with him but usually find his posts insightful...

Excuse me, but nobody calls me she except the Albino dwarf that does my anal bleaching.

Apologies - it wasn't intentional and corrected :)

Apologies - it wasn't intentional and corrected smile.png

No worries, I'm sure Greta appreciated her moment in the limelight.

My mums Irish and I still have a lot of relatives there, from what I've been told, some 30-40 years ago you could go to prison for being homosexual, and I'm told there is still a stigma around the subject.

Ireland has come a long way in the last 30 year with things like abortion, divorce, and now this vote for gay marrage, but homosexuals had rights before this vote, and I'm told that this vote is about more than marrage, if a gay couple marry they will now have the right to adopt children or have a surrogate male/female to have a child for them which i dont agree with, its my belief ( and only my belief, not meaning to offend anyone and not saying gay couples would make bad parents ) that children should be raised by a man and a woman.

I phoned my grandfather monday to ask if he voted and he said he didn't with the comment " ahh sure jasus, let the bladdards do what they what,so long as they dont make it compulsory" cheesy.gif

Seems to a Catholic thing....

Ireland should accept that a % of law abiding people are gay men and gay women.....

or they should follow that other bastion of Catholicism.....The Philippines......ban homosexuality.....but keep the legal age of sexual consent at 12........damn good guys these Catholics....

never mind, a few hail Mary's and they're off to heaven

My mums Irish and I still have a lot of relatives there, from what I've been told, some 30-40 years ago you could go to prison for being homosexual, and I'm told there is still a stigma around the subject.

Ireland has come a long way in the last 30 year with things like abortion, divorce, and now this vote for gay marrage, but homosexuals had rights before this vote, and I'm told that this vote is about more than marrage, if a gay couple marry they will now have the right to adopt children or have a surrogate male/female to have a child for them which i dont agree with, its my belief ( and only my belief, not meaning to offend anyone and not saying gay couples would make bad parents ) that children should be raised by a man and a woman.

I phoned my grandfather monday to ask if he voted and he said he didn't with the comment " ahh sure jasus, let the bladdards do what they what,so long as they dont make it compulsory" cheesy.gif

Germain Greer was in the sh*t (no pun intended) in the Sunday press for voiceing concern that Elton Johns 'wife' is named as MOTHER on their childrens birth certificates :) Edited by evadgib

No interest here is there? Of course. Why are so many things illegal that do not harm other people?

To give lawyers jobs.

Currently, gay marriage is illegal, and the marriage of any two consenting adults does not harm anybody.

just my 2 cents worth.marraige is and should only be between a man and a woman.It's origins date back 1000's of years and was instigated for couples that wanted a family(to bring children into this world)and to give protection and security.Divorce used to be difficult to obtain and parents were encouraged to reconcile problems within the family for the sake of the family.It was n't until the mid 70's when divorce was made easy that families began to fall apart,divorce could be obtained after 1 year separation with a "no fault clause"...meaning no one any longer had to accept any responsibility for what they were wanting to do.And now 60 years on we have this minority group wanting same sex marraige under the guise of equal rights.

I do not have a problem if same sex couples want to be together,but if its just about equal opportunity under the law with regards to taxes,welfare etc,allowing them the same security that normal families have,well that's ok with me.But please do not allow marraiges,it lessens the value of a true family unit,that of a husband and wife,a man and a woman.I recently read that elton john put down on his child's(adopted) birth certificate that david furnish,his partner,as the mother.I rest my case.

To give lawyers jobs.

Currently, gay marriage is illegal, and the marriage of any two consenting adults does not harm anybody.

<snipped>

I do not have a problem if same sex couples want to be together,but if its just about equal opportunity under the law with regards to taxes,welfare etc,allowing them the same security that normal families have,well that's ok with me.But please do not allow marraiges,it lessens the value of a true family unit,that of a husband and wife,a man and a woman.I recently read that elton john put down on his child's(adopted) birth certificate that david furnish,his partner,as the mother.I rest my case.

The ship has sailed. The Heteros pretty much lessened the value of a 'true' family unit, whatever that is. With some countries having divorce rates of close to 50%, other countries allowing more than one wife.....sorry, but that ship left long, long ago.

Yeah nice try no cigar trying to scapegoat gays for high divorce rates. If anything gay marriage is strengthening the institution of marriage by working so hard to be included in it it shows regard for its importance and value.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Germain Greer was in the sh*t (no pun intended) in the Sunday press for voiceing concern that Elton Johns 'wife' is named as MOTHER on their childrens birth certificates smile.png

Now that they have won all the battles, the Greer clique wants to make men become child minders. The mind boggles.

Yeah nice try no cigar trying to scapegoat gays for high divorce rates. If anything gay marriage is strengthening the institution of marriage by working so hard to be included in it it shows regard for its importance and value.

Actually I wonder about the intelligence of the homosexual community fighting so hard to be able to enter that failed institution of marriage, the biggest con on men in the western world. Women were really smart to make it so.

Like someone inferred before, it'll be interesting to see who gets the goodies when homosexuals start to get divorced- coin toss perhaps!

Actually I wonder about the intelligence of the homosexual community fighting so hard to be able to enter that failed institution of marriage, the biggest con on men in the western world. Women were really smart to make it so.

Like someone inferred before, it'll be interesting to see who gets the goodies when homosexuals start to get divorced- coin toss perhaps!

I wonder about your intelligence.

In any case, that's neither here nor there.

Marriage is not REQUIRED of anyone.

Gays and lesbians just want the same legal options as their fellow citizens.

Marriage will be especially important for couples that have children or want children. This might be more common among lesbians as they've got that womb thing going on.

As far as messy divorces, legal gay marriage (and gay divorce) may be new in Ireland but it is not new in a number of other countries.

I suppose how divorce works out depends on national laws, but in countries where PRENUPS are possible, that's advisable for everyone.

Edited by Jingthing

I do not have a problem if same sex couples want to be together,but if its just about equal opportunity under the law with regards to taxes,welfare etc,allowing them the same security that normal families have,well that's ok with me.But please do not allow marraiges,it lessens the value of a true family unit,that of a husband and wife,a man and a woman.

As a straight person, I can never understand how some people believe that allowing gays to marry would "lessen the value of a true family unit." Who exactly is feeling that the value of their family unit is lessened? Certainly not me. Do you feel that way about your family? Not having a go at you, but just seriously want to know how allowing gays to marry would impact straight folks at an individual level.