Sweden wins Eurovision Song Contest while Russia is booed

Lite Beer

Sweden wins Eurovision Song Contest while Russia is booed
GEORGE JAHN, Associated Press

VIENNA (AP) — Sweden beat Russia to win the 60th Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday, in an event described by organisers as beyond politics but marred by boos for the Russian that were apparently prompted by the Ukraine conflict and the Kremlin's anti-gay policies.

Italy took third in Europe's iconic songfest, which this year carried the extra attraction of an entry by Australia. Many were hoping its candidate, Guy Sebastian, would take home the trophy, giving it a place in next year's contest. But Australia, given a wild-card entry this year due to its enthusiastic fan base, came fifth, not enough to secure a spot in 2016.

The race between Russian star Polina Gagarina and Sweden's Mans Zelmerlow went back and forth for most of the balloting as jurors from 40 countries voted along a worldwide audience submitting their preference by phone and app.

Zelmerlow finally triumphed with 365 points, with Gagarina receiving 303.

Sweden's sixth Eurovision victory came 41 years after Swedish group Abba's triumph with "Waterloo" launched their world career. Only Ireland has been more successful, with seven triumphs.

In his pop number "Heroes," the Swede chose to forego the usual elaborate stage effects, relying instead on his strong singing and an innovative backdrop.

Cheers greeted his win. But the crowd's reaction to Gagarina struck a jarring note for those who believed in the contest's slogan, "Building Bridges."

Kiev did not send a candidate this year. With many in the West viewing Moscow as the aggressor in Ukraine, the Russian's song, "A Million Voices," and its message of peace and understanding raised some eyebrows during the qualifiers leading up to Saturday's final.

As scattered boos rang out after points were given to her Saturday, one of the hosts reminded the audience that "music should stand over politics tonight."

With many Russians critical of last year's winner, the bearded cross-dressing Austrian diva Conchita Wurst, some of the negative reaction may also have been directed at Russia's generally repressive official climate against homosexuality.

Wurst rejected the boos, calling them "incomprehensible," and noted that Gagarina "cannot be blamed for the rules" in her home country.

Promoting homosexuality is against the law in Russia. Many there view Wurst as a threat to traditional family values, and a win by Gagarina would have brought the event to Moscow, a scenario viewed with alarm by the Orthodox Church.

Patriarch Kirill, in comments to Russian news agencies, warned ahead of the event of "all those bearded female singers," declaring that acts such as Wurst's promote values "repulsive to our soul and culture."

The Austrian star took such comments in stride Saturday, saying, "I would have come" had Russia won.

About 200 million people watched on TV on Saturday as the 27 finalists, the most ever, battled it out musically. Approximately 10,000 people followed the contest live in Vienna's mammoth Stadthalle, with 25,000 others crowding the main public viewing venue in front of Vienna's City Hall.

Beyond Abba, other Eurovision winners who went on to pop fame are Celine Dion and Johnny Logan, who triumphed three times as a performer and songwriter.

The hosts of Saturday's spectacle announced that the event had been officially inducted into the Guinness Book of Records as the longest-running annual TV music competition.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-05-24

Transparent arse licking and arse kicking contest. Blatant racism and bigotry set to music.

Who cares any more?

About 200 million people watched on TV on Saturday as the 27 finalists, the most ever, battled it out musically. Approximately 10,000 people followed the contest live in Vienna's mammoth Stadthalle, with 25,000 others crowding the main public viewing venue in front of Vienna's City Hall.

Seems it was quite popular....

I have to laugh at Australia getting a spot in a EUROvision song contest.

whilst I will admit the tv coverage of Eurovision is very popular in Australia.........................it is only because us Aussies love bad taste humour.

whilst I will admit the tv coverage of Eurovision is very popular in Australia.........................it is only because us Aussies love bad taste humour.

Whereas the Eurovision contest is an unnecessary farce, I have to say that some of the best bands ever came from Australia, i.e. AC/DC, Midnight Oil, Men at Work, Crowded House, just to name a few...

The contest is ultra-political and the strange weirdness of the whole things sums up just what I don't like about Europe. Brits like me and the EU are a forced match.

Yet I do enjoy listening to the bizarre variety of the music. And I also used to enjoy listening to the sarcasm and p*ss taking of Wogan while he got drunk.

Transparent arse licking and arse kicking contest. Blatant racism and bigotry set to music.

Who cares any more?

Calm down mate, it's only a silly show, been Naff for years, but people seem to like it.

I stopped watching it when Cliff Richard won..., now that's a dodgy guy....

"young Ones"..... A mate of Jimmy Saville me thinks,...

The contest is ultra-political and the strange weirdness of the whole things sums up just what I don't like about Europe. Brits like me and the EU are a forced match.

Yet I do enjoy listening to the bizarre variety of the music. And I also used to enjoy listening to the sarcasm and p*ss taking of Wogan while he got drunk.

Terry Wogan, now that's a right pain, annoying voice and silly comments, bring back Tony Blackburn,...

Whereas the Eurovision contest is an unnecessary farce, I have to say that some of the best bands ever came from Australia, i.e. AC/DC, Midnight Oil, Men at Work, Crowded House, just to name a few...

plus the greatest band of all time INXS

My understanding is that it is not determined yet whether Australia will continue in the contest, or not. Something to do with ratings.

Yes, there was booing at Russia, but it really wasn't that loud compared to previous years, and you have to understand the crowds at the Eurovision events have lots of gay men, and their dictator Putin is using gays as a political scapegoat. No it isn't their singer's fault.

Interestingly, Ukraine didn't compete this year but they hoping to enter again next year.

Russia does very well in the voting ... coming in 2nd isn't too shabby.

There are always some awkward moments. Like when Austria was bragging about Freud being Austrian, considering what that infamous son of Austria did to Freud's people. Now he's Austrian. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing

you managed to name a few.... out of a few. Even ac/dc's core is from Scotland! But you failed to mention your best musical exports, Kylie Mynogue and Rolf Harris..

Who cares any more?

Calm down mate, it's only a silly show, been Naff for years, but people seem to like it.

I stopped watching it when Cliff Richard won..., now that's a dodgy guy....

"young Ones"..... A mate of Jimmy Saville me thinks,...

Derr.... Cliff Richard never won. He came 2nd in 1968.

Russia second...

Say's it all, we know how corrupt the voting in this event has been for decades with political interventions that would make any election in Thailand look beyond reproach.

BBC should pull out of this farce...

Forget the referendum on EU membership, lets have one on the BBC's (British) continued participation in Eurovision.

Edited by Basil B

Terry Wogan, now that's a right pain, annoying voice and silly comments, bring back Tony Blackburn,...

And Tony Blackburn has never done the link job for contest.

a bit like israel in the euro football tournament..rolleyes.gif ..europe will cover half the globe in 10 years hahahahaha

a bit like israel in the euro football tournament..rolleyes.gif ..europe will cover half the globe in 10 years hahahahaha

Europe should be so lucky.

Where is Israel supposed to play?

Their past in the Asian tournament was erased from history.

Israel hosted and won the Cup in 1964 and was runner up twice.

Edited by Jingthing

you managed to name a few.... out of a few. Even ac/dc's core is from Scotland! But you failed to mention your best musical exports, Kylie Mynogue and Rolf Harris..

I see he claimed Crowded house as well. I thought they were from New Zealand.

If Russia had won they would have had a flood of foreign homos coming.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Homos? what are you some sort of social retard?, if you must bracket someone by their sex, gay is the acceptable term .

Edited by rijit