Blasted head

Do you have a pic? Aircooled or watercooled?

What I mostly do to make alloy smooth and shiny, sanding it down using fine sanding paper, steel wool, and finish it off with polish ( Belgon Alu) lot's of manual repetitive labor but with satisfying results if you have the time and patience.

This was part of my m/c engineering shop's business back in the UK. We had our own metal finishing dept (Precision Surface Preparation) inc metal polishing (all disciplines inc prep for chrome plating), wet and dry bead blasting, peening and sand (al/ox) blasting for stuff like frames, wheels etc. If the head was blasted by someone who knows what they were doing, and the media used was either fine glass beads or bicarbonate of soda, then ok - no metal removal, combustion chambers, valve seats and gasket faces are not harmed. If sand or al/ox or something equally agressive was used - you've got a problem. Unless it was well masked. Worst case scenario it is scrap.

This was part of my m/c engineering shop's business back in the UK. We had our own metal finishing dept (Precision Surface Preparation) inc metal polishing (all disciplines inc prep for chrome plating), wet and dry bead blasting, peening and sand (al/ox) blasting for stuff like frames, wheels etc. If the head was blasted by someone who knows what they were doing, and the media used was either fine glass beads or bicarbonate of soda, then ok - no metal removal, combustion chambers, valve seats and gasket faces are not harmed. If sand or al/ox or something equally agressive was used - you've got a problem. Unless it was well masked. Worst case scenario it is scrap.

It was well masked and will be fitted with new seats valves guides tappets rods and anything else it needs. Dinnae fash yersel laddie ☺

Next jobbie is the engine casings and then the gearbox. Should be fun, maybe.

Just saying. Glass beads put a perfect ready-to-go finish on any alloy cylinder head, barrels or c/cases. Absolutely no masking recquired, great for cleaning off gasket faces. The only post op is ensuring oil ways are meticulously clean.

And finding a good operator...

Just saying. Glass beads put a perfect ready-to-go finish on any alloy cylinder head, barrels or c/cases. Absolutely no masking recquired, great for cleaning off gasket faces. The only post op is ensuring oil ways are meticulously clean.

I used plastic or walnut shot (this if I have a choice). Yes it can take longer due to their low errosive factor. If by some slim chance some escapes oil gallery cleaning, there will be no harm to the engine and will get dissolved. From my experience of course, as others may have a different experience. :)

I used plastic or walnut shot (this if I have a choice). Yes it can take longer due to their low errosive factor. If by some slim chance some escapes oil gallery cleaning, there will be no harm to the engine and will get dissolved. From my experience of course, as others may have a different experience. smile.png

Touche. Somebody else who knows what they are talking about. I forgot crushed walnut shells. Now pretty expensive, and replaced by the uber cheap bicarbonate baking soda... Finish wise, nothing beats wet vapour bead blasting.