"The Shawshank redemption test" for your Thai lady.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine just watched Fast & Furious 7 for the 3rd time. Don't know quite what to make of that. smile.png

If there is serious action/animation in the movie then you can't use it in the test...

Would you consider a Thai movie? Nevermind, you'd fail miserably.

The OP's premise is sound.

By and large Thais frown upon "thinking too much," as well as prefer sanuk to "serious" in situations where, by western standards, the former is totally uncalled for, e.g., the classroom. It's no wonder the western movies shown in Thailand are almost exclusively action and adventure. Little attention span is needed, nor is any degree of critical reasoning necessary.

Meeting a Thai woman who has not only a taste for profound, thought provoking movies, but also the attention span to get through them, is definitely a HUGE plus.

It's ignorant comments such as this that make farangs in Thailand sound like arrogant buffoons. But I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself to believe this nonsense.

By and large Thais frown upon "thinking too much," as well as prefer sanuk to "serious" in situations where, by western standards, the former is totally uncalled for, e.g., the classroom. It's no wonder the western movies shown in Thailand are almost exclusively action and adventure. Little attention span is needed, nor is any degree of critical reasoning necessary.

Meeting a Thai woman who has not only a taste for profound, thought provoking movies, but also the attention span to get through them, is definitely a HUGE plus.

It's ignorant comments such as this that make farangs in Thailand sound like arrogant buffoons. But I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself to believe this nonsense.

But let's be brutally honest, what he's said is pretty much on the money.

Really? He says Thais are into action and adventure movies...because "little attention span is needed...." Well Sherlock, these same kinds of movies are also popular in the west. Would that then mean that westerners have little attention span, nor desire any degree of critical reasoning? Let me guess, if a farang likes a movie, it's ok, but if a Thai likes it, let's find reasons to criticize them.

Why is it ignorant? In the four years I've lived in-country, I've been told 'don't think too much' dozens of times. By all accounts, it appears to be a point of national consensus. And I assure you I'm not conversing with the lower rungs of the Thai social strata. These are educated, gainfully employed people I'm referring to.

I've also taught in Thai schools. The attention span is zilch, zero, nada. Which is why "Fine, thank you, and you?" comprises the majority of the English spoken in this country, after decades of dealing with and being taught by westerners.

But I'm sure it makes you feel good about yourself to think otherwise, and to belittle an arrogant westerner like me. On that note, the topic at hand, along with my response to it, has no bearing on how I feel about myself. I'm a deeply flawed human being like everyone else, yet I also have my strong points; one of the latter being I'm quite an astute observationist.

Really? He says Thais are into action and adventure movies...because "little attention span is needed...." Well Sherlock, these same kinds of movies are also popular in the west. Would that then mean that westerners have little attention span, nor desire any degree of critical reasoning? Let me guess, if a farang likes a movie, it's ok, but if a Thai likes it, let's find reasons to criticize them.

It doesn't logically follow that anything I said exempted westerners. This, however, is a website about Thailand.

There are no shortage of places on the net to discuss the shortcomings of westerners. So you'll excuse me if here I opt to stay on topic.

We all like to see adventure and action movies, but we also like to see more deep, emotional and thought Provoking Movies and that's the whole difference.

I think that aTomsLife is spot on.

We all like to see adventure and action movies, but we also like to see more deep, emotional and thought Provoking Movies and that's the whole difference.

I knew you would say that! So how in God's name do you know that the Thais don't want to see deep, emotional, and thought provoking movies? There are Thai, Korean, Chinese, and other sorts of movies as well that Thais are into, not just English-language movies. You can't just go by what American movies are shown in the theaters. If you did that in the west, you'd think that most Americans are only into sci-fi action movies.

I knew you would say that! So how in God's name do you know that the Thais don't want to see deep, emotional, and thought provoking movies? There are Thai, Korean, Chinese, and other sorts of movies as well that Thais are into, not just English-language movies. You can't just go by what American movies are shown in the theaters. If you did that in the west, you'd think that most Americans are only into sci-fi action movies.

I'm sure that there are Thais who see deep, emotional, and thought provoking movies, just none of the Thais I've met thus far (and ANY of my friends in Thailand)

It is important to live with someone who you can have meaningful discussions with and finding such a person is VERY hard in Thailand, much more so than in western countries.

Can you deny that fact? you need to be very lucky to come across such a woman here.

..... are they not ??

From The Shawshank Redemption:

Warden Samuel Norton: [icy] Nothing stops. Nothing... or you will do the hardest time there is. No more protection from the guards. I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been f#%cked by a train! And the library? Gone... sealed off, brick-by-brick. We'll have us a little book barbecue in the yard. They'll see the flames for miles. We'll dance around it like wild Injuns! You understand me? Catching my drift?... Or am I being obtuse?

If you ask your Thai wife what that dialogue meant, she'll probably say Yes!

Fine thank you. And you?

I'm sure that there are Thais who see deep, emotional, and thought provoking movies, just none of the Thais I've met thus far (and ANY of my friends in Thailand)

It is important to live with someone who you can have meaningful discussions with and finding such a person is VERY hard in Thailand, much more so than in western countries.

Can you deny that fact? you need to be very lucky to come across such a woman here.

I think many foreigners judge Thais based upon their own value and belief systems, not to mention language and cultural bias. I'm not sure if you were serious with this thread, but your entire premise of judging a woman based upon whether she likes a prison movie...I mean, come on. I love Shawshank, I've got it on DVD. But many out there, farang and Thai, may not share my enthusiasm. If you want truly thought-provoking movies, how about Inception or Gattaca....or even the Butler or Primary Colors. Unfortunately, most of these movies can be lost in the translation. I can understand Thai and recently watched an American movie dubbed in Thai. Believe me, it was not the same. Most of the meaning is ok, but the nuances of language simply can't be translated. This is the same for Thai movies with English subtitles.

As for finding the right woman, I'm honestly not looking for a female with whom I can discuss quantum physics or the industrial revolution. I just want someone physically attractive with whom I can trust and hang with. There is no woman out there who's going to like what I like all the time. Our taste in a great many things (movies included) is based largely upon our upbringing and environment. Heck, American women and men don't like the same kind of movies all the time, hence the term "chick flick." What's the chance of finding a Thai woman who's going to have the same taste as an older foreigner? I suppose one can hope..."hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things."

I think many foreigners judge Thais based upon their own value and belief systems, not to mention language and cultural bias. I'm not sure if you were serious with this thread, but your entire premise of judging a woman based upon whether she likes a prison movie...I mean, come on. I love Shawshank, I've got it on DVD. But many out there, farang and Thai, may not share my enthusiasm. If you want truly thought-provoking movies, how about Inception or Gattaca....or even the Butler or Primary Colors. Unfortunately, most of these movies can be lost in the translation. I can understand Thai and recently watched an American movie dubbed in Thai. Believe me, it was not the same. Most of the meaning is ok, but the nuances of language simply can't be translated. This is the same for Thai movies with English subtitles.

As for finding the right woman, I'm honestly not looking for a female with whom I can discuss quantum physics or the industrial revolution. I just want someone physically attractive with whom I can trust and hang with. There is no woman out there who's going to like what I like all the time. Our taste in a great many things (movies included) is based largely upon our upbringing and environment. Heck, American women and men don't like the same kind of movies all the time, hence the term "chick flick." What's the chance of finding a Thai woman who's going to have the same taste as an older foreigner? I suppose one can hope..."hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things."

The reasons I've chosen "The Shawshank Redemption" for the test are:

1.It is the highest rated movie on IMDB

2.It doesn't have much action in it (and that's the difference between Inception which is an excellent movie but can cause a person to watch it for the "wrong reasons" i.e. the crazy action scenes)

I would love to meet a Thai woman who will search the net to find out if the last inception scene was a dream / real (it is real because Cobb was NOT wearing his wedding ring on this scene, he only wear it in his dreams)

But that would be too much to ask lol.

A beautiful mind / Green Mile are good movies which can serve the same purpose.

It's great for both of us, as i can disappear for hours up the shed, without being interrupted...smile.png

Movies?...Anything that's got emotion or action...She would sit up all night to see what happens in the end....

Are you referring to

"sanuk711, on 27 May 2015 - 07:02, said:

Just got this DVD: home tonight---"Hot and Horny Housewives Do Anal 3".

biggrin.png

My gf can do a fairly good job of listening to the English dialogue in movies. But she likes the Thai subtitles to display for times dialogue gets too fast or unfamiliar idioms are spoken. However, couple months ago, I bought the Wolf of Wall Street. I set it up to play in English with Thai subtitles.

Several times in the 30 or so minutes before my gf gave up on the Wolf, she was asking me questions about what she'd read in the subtitles - which apparently was written verbatim as the spoken English of the movie. With the nuances of every language (English in particular; esp the 'guy talk' in Wolf) don't Thai subtitles do a little interpretive translation that helps the Thai viewer understand the literally spoken English? Or are the subs just word for word repetition of the spoken English?

Thanks for any info on this.

There's a Thai woman's website somewhere where a woman is saying 'does your boyfriend cry at Shawshank Redemption' and should they dump him for being a big baby

LOL...

Crying is only an option and not obligatory :)

But since you mentioned crying..let me tell you this, if your gf is crying during this movie (and not because she wants you to stop and play Furious 7 instead...) then you found yourself a gem.

There's a Thai woman's website somewhere where a woman is saying 'does your boyfriend cry at Shawshank Redemption' and should they dump him for being a big baby

LOL...

Crying is only an option and not obligatory smile.png

But since you mentioned crying..let me tell you this, if your gf is crying during this movie (and not because she wants you to stop and play Furious 7 instead...) then you found yourself a gem.

The only thing about this thread that worries me is that this 'Shawshank Redemption' test is being used as a substitute relationship evaluation criteria because the language barrier between the OP and his love interest is so great that there is little opportunity for true communication and thus little opportunity to delve into one another's values and assess true compatibility.

OP, you certainly have to admit that if you both spoke the same language, it's highly unlikely that you would propose marriage based simply on whether you both liked the same given movie, right?

Edit: If I were the OP I would be more focused on things like money management, child rearing values, religious values, sense of humor compatibility, integrity, sexual compatibility, social compatibility, conversational compatibility, similar interests, etc., than tastes in movies.

Just trying to keep it real.

Edited by Gecko123

LOL...

Crying is only an option and not obligatory smile.png

The only thing about this thread that worries me is that this 'Shawshank Redemption' test is being used as a substitute relationship evaluation criteria because the language barrier between the OP and his love interest is so great that there is little opportunity for true communication and thus little opportunity to delve into one another's values and assess true compatibility.

OP, you certainly have to admit that if you both spoke the same language, it's highly unlikely that you would propose marriage based simply on whether you both liked the same given movie, right?

Just trying to keep it real.

If we both spoke the same language and she only want to watch Furious 5/6/7 and other easy to understand / don't use your brain type of movies , then I wouldn't be with this person not because she didn't like the same movies as I but because I think that it shows me that this person is very shallow and does not have any critical thinking skills and maybe no sensitivity at all.

You can learn much on a person by learning which movies he/she like and although I am sure that there are smart, sensitive people who only watch action movies, I personally never came across such a person.