US judge certifies extradition of Florida man to Thailand in bizarre kidnap case

webfact

Judge certifies extradition of S. Florida man to Thailand in bizarre kidnap case
By Emily Miller

(US) A federal magistrate judge granted an order on Thursday to extradite to Thailand a South Florida man accused of kidnapping and extortion.

Shawn Abraham Shaw, 43, who has been locked up since he was found hiding out in Palm Beach in late November, is accused of committing a bizarre set of crimes in Thailand.

Those include kidnapping, extortion and robbery against an alleged victim who was his friend for years. Thai prosecutors and police want to try Shaw.

Shaw has maintained that he could face the death penalty in Thailand, even though the government says he wouldn't. U.S. Magistrate Judge William Matthewman ruled that issue is irrelevant and left to the sole discretion of the U.S. government's executive branch.

Full story: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-thai-extradition-order-20150528-story.html

-- Sun Sentinel 2015-05-29

It says he doesn't have an attorney. That's nuts. He needs someone who knows which points of law to raise.

My pleading would have nothing to do with the case since he can't prove his allegations. I would plead for sanctuary based on Thailand being run by an illegal m word d word. I would claim that the junta isn't a legal government and doesn't have standing to extradite. I would plead that my government not send me to a country that's being usurped and ruled at gunpoint.

If he doesn't raise that argument the judge can't rule on it. The judge by law can rule only on what's put before him. The accused can't appeal a point he didn't raise, either. It's important to raise every possible point of law to preserve them for appeal.

It says he doesn't have an attorney. That's nuts. He needs someone who knows which points of law to raise.

My pleading would have nothing to do with the case since he can't prove his allegations. I would plead for sanctuary based on Thailand being run by an illegal m word d word. I would claim that the junta isn't a legal government and doesn't have standing to extradite. I would plead that my government not send me to a country that's being usurped and ruled at gunpoint.

If he doesn't raise that argument the judge can't rule on it. The judge by law can rule only on what's put before him. The accused can't appeal a point he didn't raise, either. It's important to raise every possible point of law to preserve them for appeal.

Your pleading is a mixture of BS and irrelevance, and only a lawyer with a great sense of humour would listen to it, let alone present it to a judge. The alleged incident occurred well before the coup, and there is nothing to indicate interference in the case by past or present governments. Nor is there any evidence of the current government interfering in the judicial system.

BTW the current government has been recognised by the head of state. While not the USA's preferred form of government, political violence has dropped since the change.