Receive SMS messages on a USA phone number?

stargazer9999

BKKdreaming,

You signed up in Thailand? For some reason when I log into my gmail account I don't see "Get a Voice Number" on the left. I thought that was because I was in Thailand.

In terms of dealing with setting up Google Voice, you want to have an underlying generic Google/Gmail account based in the U.S., and if possible, be signing in with a U.S. IP address.

If you're starting from scratch with an entirely new Google log-in, then, I believe the combination of a U.S. payment address and a U.S. IP address being used at set-up ought to do the trick.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For the initial setup of Google Voice you can get a temporary free US number from Talkatone.com to use.

(The temporary Talkatone number vanishes if you don't use it after a while, but you can replace it with another number easily).

Then set Google Voice to use Hangouts (Google Chat) as your outgoing phone number.

Talkatone account and smartphone app also isn't a bad thing to have to provide US calling and SMS, if you pay for a permanent number and calling costs.

The part about needing a US-based IP Address when setting things up for Google still applies.

For the initial setup of Google Voice you can get a temporary free US number from Talkatone.com to use.

(The temporary Talkatone number vanishes if you don't use it after a while, but you can replace it with another number easily).

Then set Google Voice to use Hangouts (Google Chat) as your outgoing phone number.

Talkatone account and smartphone app also isn't a bad thing to have to provide US calling and SMS, if you pay for a permanent number and calling costs.

The part about needing a US-based IP Address when setting things up for Google still applies.

Support for Google Voice ending May 15, 2014

Google has decided to stop 3rd party access to Google Voice as of May 15th 2014. May 15th is fast approaching...

So now what do I do with the credits I bought?

Unless I'm doing something wrong Talkatone is also not supported in Thailand and does not work with google voice.
Edited by lostoday

Google has decided to stop 3rd party access to Google Voice as of May 15th 2014. May 15th is fast approaching...

Unless I'm doing something wrong Talkatone is also not supported in Thailand.
Talkatone's prior business model was to act as an xmpp client to Google Voice. When Google took away that 3rd party access Talkatone transitioned to become an independent Telephone Switched Circuit to Internet Voice/SMS exchange.
Talkatone works fine in Thailand, just like any other VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) it requires a steady, fast International Internet connection to function well. You could just pay for a Talkatone Account to send and receive US SMS Texts and Voice Phone Calls without involving Google or Google Voice at all ...
Talkatone Support : Knowledge Base
When you transition to a new Talkatone account, you will receive:
a. FREE, local US phone number
b. FREE inbound calls
c. FREE texting
d. Up to 20 minutes of FREE outbound calls minutes per month (with the ability to purchase additional outbound minutes in-app for a very, very competitive rate)
Though, if you WANT to set up a Google Voice account, you'll first need a "Valid US Number". That's where the free number from Talkatone comes in.

Unless I'm doing something wrong Talkatone is also not supported in Thailand.
Talkatone's prior business model was to act as an xmpp client to Google Voice. When Google took away that 3rd party access Talkatone transitioned to become an independent Telephone Switched Circuit to Internet Voice/SMS exchange.
Talkatone works fine in Thailand, just like any other VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) it requires a steady, fast International Internet connection to function well. You could just pay for a Talkatone Account to send and receive US SMS Texts and Voice Phone Calls without involving Google or Google Voice at all ...
Talkatone Support : Knowledge Base
When you transition to a new Talkatone account, you will receive:
a. FREE, local US phone number
b. FREE inbound calls
c. FREE texting
d. Up to 20 minutes of FREE outbound calls minutes per month (with the ability to purchase additional outbound minutes in-app for a very, very competitive rate)
Though, if you WANT to set up a Google Voice account, you'll first need a "Valid US Number". That's where the free number from Talkatone comes in.

Talkatone won't answer my google verification request. So it is useless to me.

I'll try it again but googling "talkatone won't answer gets me nowhere."

Have you verified that Talkatone is working?

You can test using the gmail call/sms feature to send a test sms text to the talkatone number (to verify it can receive sms from google) ... though I think you need to create a "Contact" with a mobile number before it gives you the SMS option to send text via gmail Hangout/Chat.

Have you verified that Talkatone is working?

You can test using the gmail call/sms feature to send a test sms text to the talkatone number (to verify it can receive sms from google) ... though I think you need to create a "Contact" with a mobile number before it gives you the SMS option to send text via gmail Hangout/Chat.

As of April 1, 2014, sending SMS messages to phone contacts through Google Chat in Gmail was discontinued for all supported mobile operators.

Unless I'm doing something wrong Talkatone is also not supported in Thailand and does not work with google voice.

I started messing with Talkatone app on my Android mobile phone this morning...

Installed fine from the Play store, but the first time opened, gave a message saying not available in my area.

Switched on U.S. VPN on my mobile phone, then everything proceeded fine and was able to set up a new U.S. number with them, including picking my own area code and choice of various numbers within in.

Only had to confirm account activation via an email to my registered email address.

After completing the process, turned off the VPN on my mobile phone and Talkatone still running fine. But I haven't had a chance to test it yet with actual calls or SMSs.

From reading their web info last night, the service appears to be free for sending/receiving SMS and receiving phone calls (though making outbound calls to the U.S. has a fee).

But, if you don't use your account/phone number within a month's period, they say they'll send you a warning and then de-activate you account, or, if you've purchased any credits for any of their paid services, debit a portion of those credits.

post-58284-0-16543400-1433389594_thumb.j

Just tested Talkatone for receiving SMS and it worked fine.

Sent an SMS from a Google Voice account on my PC to my new Talkatone U.S. phone number, and the SMS showed up on my Thai SIM Android mobile phone with the Talkatone app installed within 2 seconds. Not running any VPN on the Thai Android mobile phone at the time.

Likewise, sending a return SMS from Talkatone on my Android phone back to my Google Voice account on my PC worked fine as well, with the return SMS message showing up in my GV account/inbox just as fast.

Now I guess need to check and see if Talkatone will work for bank-sent SMS messages.

Too bad Talkatone doesn't have either a PC-based/web interface or an app for Windows Phone...

Guest siamjourney
TallGuyJohninBKK:
"I started messing with Talkatone app on my Android mobile phone this morning...

Installed fine from the Play store, but the first time opened, gave a message saying not available in my area.

Switched on U.S. VPN on my mobile phone, then everything proceeded fine and was able to set up a new U.S. number with them, including picking my own area code and choice of various numbers within in."

I had the same problem installing Talkatone. What do you do to switch to a U.S. VPN?

Well, in this case, there's a couple of possible solutions aimed at having your mobile phone show a U.S. IP address when connecting to the Internet.

1. is to have your mobile phone connect to a wifi router that's running VPN or proxy software that shows a U.S. IP address, usually involving some kind of monthly paid service account.

or

2. installing a VPN or proxy app on your mobile phone that also will enable your phone to show a U.S. IP address whenever it's online, either via wifi or 3/4G. Those also are often paid monthly service accounts.

However, there also are some free solution, especially if you only need to connect periodically and aren't overly concerned about connection speed (such as just to verify/setup a U.S. based calling account).

One of those free solutions is called TunnelBear, which is a reputable and established VPN service that you can use on a PC, Android device or IPhone-Ipad devices. I believe, after you register with them and install their software on your device, their free account includes 500 MB of VPN data thru their service per month. To get a U.S. IP address, just open the TunnelBear app on your phone, connect via the app and choose U.S. as your connection point. Then once connected, just proceed to do your Talkatone registration/sign-up.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

From my limited use thus far, it seems as though Talkatone only requires your phone to show a U.S. IP address during the sign-up process, in order to recognize you as a U.S. customer (as opposed to other places in the world where their accounts have different terms). Once your Talkatone account is established and active on your mobile phone, it doesn't look like the Talkatone app requires you to show a U.S. IP address in order to function on an ongoing basis. You should be able to use it thereafter without having to connect via VPN.

Well, in this case, there's a couple of possible solutions aimed at having your mobile phone show a U.S. IP address when connecting to the Internet.

1. is to have your mobile phone connect to a wifi router that's running VPN or proxy software that shows a U.S. IP address, usually involving some kind of monthly paid service account.

or

2. installing a VPN or proxy app on your mobile phone that also will enable your phone to show a U.S. IP address whenever it's online, either via wifi or 3/4G. Those also are often paid monthly service accounts.

However, there also are some free solution, especially if you only need to connect periodically and aren't overly concerned about connection speed (such as just to verify/setup a U.S. based calling account).

One of those free solutions is called TunnelBear, which is a reputable and established VPN service that you can use on a PC, Android device or IPhone-Ipad devices. I believe, after you register with them and install their software on your device, their free account includes 500 MB of VPN data thru their service per month. To get a U.S. IP address, just open the TunnelBear app on your phone, connect via the app and choose U.S. as your connection point. Then once connected, just proceed to do your Talkatone registration/sign-up.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

From my limited use thus far, it seems as though Talkatone only requires your phone to show a U.S. IP address during the sign-up process, in order to recognize you as a U.S. customer (as opposed to other places in the world where their accounts have different terms). Once your Talkatone account is established and active on your mobile phone, it doesn't look like the Talkatone app requires you to show a U.S. IP address in order to function on an ongoing basis. You should be able to use it thereafter without having to connect via VPN.

I tried to verify my Talkatone number on google voice and no go. Talktext I think yes.

Edited by lostoday

What's the purpose of trying to combine Talkatone with Google Voice? Just to register a new Google Voice account using the Talkatone # as your regular mobile???

BTW, I hadn't tried yet using the Talkatone number to register a Google Voice account, since I already have existing valid ones. But appreciate knowing that's a no-go.

The main reason I have continued using Google Voice up until now, subsequent to the arrival of Google Hangouts, is for GV's SMS capacity with the U.S.

However, in terms of sending and receiving regular SMS messages to/from the U.S., Talkatone works fine by itself (though we've yet to confirm if the special bank SMS messages work).

And likewise Talkatone is fine and free for receiving calls from the U.S. (though making calls to the U.S. has a fee).

What's the purpose of trying to combine Talkatone with Google Voice? Just to register a new Google Voice account using the Talkatone # as your regular mobile???

BTW, I hadn't tried yet using the Talkatone number to register a Google Voice account, since I already have existing valid ones. But appreciate knowing that's a no-go.

However, in terms of sending and receiving regular SMS messages to/from the U.S., Talkatone works fine by itself (though we've yet to confirm if the special bank SMS messages work).

And likewise Talkatone is fine and free for receiving calls (though making calls has a fee).

Google voice tells you when you have an sms. So if you send them to the USA like I do it's nice to be notified when a reply comes back. I tried to add my three USA phones to google voice for that reason.

FWIW, I just sent another SMS message from Google Voice to the Talkatone app on my Android mobile phone. Once again, the SMS arrived literally in one second.

When it arrived, I got an audible "beep" sound from my mobile, but no visual display/popup that an SMS message had arrived. I looked in the app settings about adjusting the notifications re that, but didn't find any setting to accomplish a popup notification for incoming SMS.

No "Popup" notifications with the android Talkatone app, but if the app is running in the background it will put something in the pull-down notification and play a sound , otherwise it will collect sms messages received/waiting when you start it up / login.

let me turn this backwards.....

is there a free Thai number that I can use to get SMS notice on the net when my Thai ATM card is used,

I get the message on my mobile phone when in Thailand , but the True sim does not work in the USA

thanks for the info

FWIW, re the mention here about Google Voice SMS compatibility with U.S. banking SMS alerts, I signed up for the SMS alert service with one of my U.S. credit unions, a pretty large institution, to see what would happen using one of my Google Voice numbers.

And this morning, at least for this one CU, my CU SMS arrived into my Google Voice inbox just fine...

I don't know how to check on what technical type of SMS this particular CU is sending.

Google Phone doesn't work outside of the States.

I just skimmed the thread so not sure if somebody has responded to this, but yes it does. I have a Google Voice number in Washington DC that rings both my PC and phone here - the catch being that I have to have Gmail open and/or the GV app running on my phone. But even if I don't have gmail open (or not sitting at the computer when a call comes in), the caller can leave a message and Google will transcribe it to a text notification that I can see in the GV app or in my email inbox. If the transcription isn't 100% correct, I can always play the recording and listen to the caller's message.

Edited by attrayant

I have a pair of credit cards with one of the largest credit unions in the U.S. Lately in my email, I got an offer from them about signing up for an SMS mobile alerts service for the two cards. The offer specifically mentioned it was only valid for U.S. mobile numbers and then listed a long list of mobile carriers (not including Google Voice or Talkatone).

Today, I attempted to register one card using a Google Voice number, and I got the confirmation SMS back in seconds and completed the registration.

I also attempted to register the other card with a Talkatone number, and never got a confirmation SMS back from the C.U., even an hour later.

As I mentioned above in post #50, I successfully did another banking SMS registration with a different credit union a few days ago using my Google Voice number, and that connection confirmed as well.

So it looks like Google Voice isn't entirely without merit in terms of handling U.S. banking messaging.

Assuming these SMSes were short code, you can tell by the sending number (4, 5 or 6 digits, usually), then...

Talkatone does NOT support Short Code SMS per their support forum.

Google Voice does appear to support SOME, but not all, Short Code SMS sources. Interestingly, Google Voice uses short codes for verification when signing up for GV! But GV still does not support ALL SC SMS, including BofA's 2-step verification. BofA does also use short code SMS for status/activity, aka: Text Banking (this is distinctly different than SafePass authorization); MyBofA (692632). SO you would send texts to 692632, and receive them from this number.

Most VoIP providers do NOT support SC SMS. Anveo is the only VoIP provider I could find which purports to support ALL SC SMS, but they have some fees ($2/month for a number, and $6.55/month for the SMS to email/SIP service.

For most typical SMS apps. GV seems to be sufficient, as is Talkatone.

Still not clear on what the OP is trying to do, exactly.

For most typical SMS apps. GV seems to be sufficient, as is Talkatone.

I went back and looked, as I had a number of my recent SMS messages received still in my GV app trash folder.

All the bank and Amazon SMS messages I mentioned successfully receiving above in GV appear to be short code messages, based on the way you described the number of numbers involved (4.5.6 digits).

--My two credit union credit cards -- 5 digit sender

--My one credit union bank account -- 6 digit sender

--Amazon.com -- 6 digit sender

--Google verification code -- 6 digit sender

Fortunately, I closed my BofA account some time back when they once again jacked up their monthly fees, and converted what was supposed to be a free checking account I'd had with them for years into one that was going to cost (I can't recall exactly) $7-$10 a month for the future. Don't miss them in the least!