SURVEY: With the current government in Power are things getting better or worse?

Scott

Are things getting Better, Worse or Staying the same under the current government?  

374 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opinion, is the general situation in Thailand getting better, worse or staying about the same with the current government in power?

We would very much look forward to hearing your comments, but please be careful to follow the rules in posting. In addition to the regular rules, please note this public notice: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769792-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/ .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be getting better??? But is it just a case of smoke & mirrors???

They will never stop corruption its too deep in society, in fact its ramped in every family.

I was living in the Philippines when Marcos got kicked out and they all thought that corruption would stop. The only thing that happened was the price of corruption doubled.

Thank you Scott, its a good topic.coffee1.gif

Well, there hasn't been any huge protests funded by criminals on the lam lately, complete with shootings and bombings, or airport/gov't building take-overs by supporters of one colour or another. That's an improvement.

There was/is a move to start trying to get rid of corruption, something the previous gov'ts (of either colour) didn't seem to keen on while they held the reins. With the military overseeing the police (how that must rankle some) I'm told there isn't as many greedy hands being stretched out to local business's as there was before.

So long as they make progress towards getting a good, solid constitution in place and then holding proper (fair) elections, then I'd have to say that things have improved. Nothing is perfect but the way things were going before the coup, we were close to seeing a full out civil war (thanks especially to one certain person).

If you've ever been in the middle of a "nationalistic" (or "religious") war you'd know just how bad that could be and if anyone thinks for even a millisecond that they'd be spared because (insert: family/friends/connections/social status/etc) they'd be wrong. Dead wrong.

I voted worse , could be viewed as slightly hypocritical as Myself and my families life has not changed for the worse . I think every day you have imposed military rule is bad day , The prospect of your kids 14 and 12 at the moment,growing up in a country where they are going to be indoctrinated, have no real democratic choice , cannot speak their mind (I know many of us do , probably too far at times) But the kids are Thai they wont have that option when they are older. I think the referendum is a very bad idea , its just another hurdle to get over. They should be talking to the hierarchy of the major Parties for the new constitution but they have cut PTPs head off. So now referendum will in my opinion just be voted on party lines , We see how popular the Junta is when we see junta sponsored opinion poles . I'm not sure that will be reflected once people can really have their say and vote

I voted worse , could be viewed as slightly hypocritical as Myself and my families life has not changed for the worse . I think every day you have imposed military rule is bad day , The prospect of your kids 14 and 12 at the moment,growing up in a country where they are going to be indoctrinated, have no real democratic choice , cannot speak their mind (I know many of us do , probably too far at times) But the kids are Thai they wont have that option when they are older. I think the referendum is a very bad idea , its just another hurdle to get over. They should be talking to the hierarchy of the major Parties for the new constitution but they have cut PTPs head off. So now referendum will in my opinion just be voted on party lines , We see how popular the Junta is when we see junta sponsored opinion poles . I'm not sure that will be reflected once people can really have their say and vote

Even under previous governments, your kids would have grown up in a country where they are indoctrinated and have no democratic choice. As you know, the education system here is terrible. Thailand has huge issues with being truly democratic. That is directed towards both parties. And Thailand hasn't had freedom of speech for a long time.

Spot on about the major political parties getting involved. Unfortunately, they are too entrenched in their ways and won't compromise. Which is a major pillar of democracy. Compromise and respect for the minority. Something we don't have here. Nor do many other democratic nations around the world. It's winner take all. PTPs head got cut off due to their own actions. Easy for them to step across the divide and meet with the opposition. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As for the poll, things are worse with regards to freedom of speech (which doesn't really effect me at all), but better in terms of no more dangerous protests. The economy is in shatters, but that's a worldwide problem at the moment.

All governments indoctrinate. It's a given. Major reason freedom of speech and press is so important. That is gone now. I typically ask my Thai gf if seen any news on xyz situation. Nope, nada... what they don't know can hurt them.

Even under previous governments, your kids would have grown up in a country where they are indoctrinated and have no democratic choice. As you know, the education system here is terrible. Thailand has huge issues with being truly democratic. That is directed towards both parties. And Thailand hasn't had freedom of speech for a long time.

Spot on about the major political parties getting involved. Unfortunately, they are too entrenched in their ways and won't compromise. Which is a major pillar of democracy. Compromise and respect for the minority. Something we don't have here. Nor do many other democratic nations around the world. It's winner take all. PTPs head got cut off due to their own actions. Easy for them to step across the divide and meet with the opposition. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

As for the poll, things are worse with regards to freedom of speech (which doesn't really effect me at all), but better in terms of no more dangerous protests. The economy is in shatters, but that's a worldwide problem at the moment.

Nearly every country indoctrinates its youth. A big part of a public education is learning the mythology on which a country is based. It provides a sense of belonging, superiority and security.

The difference now is that the indoctrination is not balanced by anything. You are either pro-Junta or you are likely to end up in jail. If you don't end up in jail, then it will be because of the kind and magnanimous good-will of the Junta.

The situation is getting worse. There is less freedom of speech. Less freedom to gather. Less freedom of the press and every indication is that the economy is headed toward the crapper, but we will have no way of knowing for sure, because what is reported is what is permitted to be reported.

Edited by Credo

Nearly every country indoctrinates its youth. A big part of a public education is learning the mythology on which a country is based. It provides a sense of belonging, superiority and security.

The difference now is that the indoctrination is not balanced by anything. You are either pro-Junta or you are likely to end up in jail. If you don't end up in jail, then it will be because of the kind and magnanimous good-will of the Junta.

The situation is getting worse. There is less freedom of speech. Less freedom to gather. Less freedom of the press and every indication is that the economy is headed toward the crapper, but we will have no way of knowing for sure, because what is reported is what is permitted to be reported.

It does them a service of stopping people from thinking, if you disagree with something a policy or verdict in the court, there is no way even by words that', Thais mainly, cannot challenge it, so I believe that breeds apathy, which nearly all governments rely.Hard to see the future obviously, if the constitution is Handicapped one way then I think you'll see people on the streets in future every time a policy is vetoed by the Senate

I am really not wishing to weigh in on the pros or cons of the current situation, but I do have a few observations after having been here quite a number of years and having worked in the education field. My experience is limited to what might be called the middle class, but over the years, I've seen students (during the baht crisis of the late 90's) from the higher level on their way down the economic ladder and I've seen the upwardly mobile group.

The younger people have a very different perception of gov't than the older generation. The older generation held sacred some institutions, which the younger generation pay little heed to. They live in a world of facebook and other social media and they have access to information from outside of Thailand.

The current gov't, and to a large extent, former gov'ts, have held on to a largely mythological concept of Thailand and Thai people. It is not necessarily based in reality.

Are things better or worse? It's hard to say, but eventually the old will have to give way to the new.

A vague question asked on a robustly moderated website in a country subject to heavy censorship is not going to reveal all that much, I would have thought...

I have to agree.The crazies are permitted unlimited scope to vent their bile.Those of us who are deeply troubled at the current catastrophic debacle are muzzled or constantly inhibited by the need for self censorship.It's not possible to have a rational discussion here.

A vague question asked on a robustly moderated website in a country subject to heavy censorship is not going to reveal all that much, I would have thought...

I have to agree.The crazies are permitted unlimited scope to vent their bile.Those of us who are deeply troubled at the current catastrophic debacle are muzzled or constantly inhibited by the need for self censorship.It's not possible to have a rational discussion here.

Not true. Rational discussions are always welcomed, within the confines of the Thai law and our forum rules. Unfortunately, we have to deal with lots of irrational ones. Speak your opinion, but do it politely and be respectful of other members.

wai2.gif

Yeah...right! clap2.gif

We are not allowed to say what we think, but now: a survey!

Agree 100% ... I see lots of harsh words here and often rightful. That being said the censorship feel like its sometimes quite biased

For myself, mostly the same...

for the country I feel that is a classic case of two steps forward and then two steps backwards....

There is a lot of talk, a lot of speculation and every week we see more press releases from TAT and political bodies telling us 'good news' about the state of the economy and tourism.... but the reality seems far different.

Most members would agree that the tourism numbers are down and the long touted "better quality tourist" has not been seen in growing numbers. Restaurants, bars, hotels and villas are down on trade and bookings.

Crime and corruption, by Thai against Thai, Farang against Farang and both against each other seem to be the same (maybe increasing actually)

International news has barely a week go by without reports of another murder or assault (sorry... suicide or accident!)

Prices are rising, quality services and trades-people are very hard to find (recent plumbing, air-con and other services I have sought have been very amateurish to say the least) and yet foreign investment is discouraged by the on-going attitude of "Thai is best and must own over half of anything".... (Crazy! even the Chinese welcomed in foreign companies to at least watch, see and learn from before making their own versions of those successful business models and then slowly squeezing out the foreigners... the end result was a better run, better qualified and capable work-force)

Current laws are enforced by people that don't know or don't care.... Visa issues are rife and more faring that have money are giving up and looking at Malaysia, Cambodia and Vietnam! Or maybe they just are hoping for the inevitable Tea-money back-hander!?

What is a quality Farang anyway? a tourist or resident..???

Someone that buys property, invests in businesses, pays his way in the LOS and brings money in to Thailand??? because if so, the current system treats them no different then a drunken sex-tourist....

I would have thought that being able to show money in the bank, property and business leases, ownership and other items that prove the Farang has brought money IN to the country would count for something, but they do not appear to make any difference at all...

I have a few friends that work and live abroad but come here every month for at least a week.... one has two Thai kids that he sees and has every trip back here,,,, yet he is now having problems coming in as the airport officials say he is visiting too many times, too regularly and must be working here (He isn't and is fortunate enough to own his own business abroad and has enough money to provide for his kids here and has bought property here).... and by coming every month, stamp on arrival he is completely legal and he is doing nothing wrong... but the airport officials decide 'outside' of the rules.... ???!!!

In summary, I feel that things are about the same but with the added issues of visa problems and being able to stay or visit multiple times would make me think that maybe it is a little worse!

Just trying to give a sensible answer and yes i know, there will be many people that will say "don't like it then leave" but I am NOT saying that, I like it here, plan to retire here and I play by all the rules.... it is just hard to know what is the "current rule" to play by lately.....

Edited by TheMacMan

Not true. Rational discussions are always welcomed, within the confines of the Thai law and our forum rules. Unfortunately, we have to deal with lots of irrational ones. Speak your opinion, but do it politely and be respectful of other members.

wai2.gif

You are entitled to your view but in my opinion ( and I suspect the opinion of many) you are wrong.A comprehensive discussion on Thai politics is not possible given the current regime's restrictions.

Given the censorship, it's impossible to believe the news, so who knows? The powers that be have a free hand to make up whatever they want the public to read, and filter out the rest.

That said, and from what reports I hear and read from the business world, the economy seems to be getting worse.

Edited by dbrenn

Some thing are better. No more street protests and nightly attacks and killings (against the protesters).

Some things are worse. The economy and crime.

But, in my opinion, unless the RTP are given a massive overhaul, including the judiciary and the entire legal system, nothing will change. It will revert back to the old ways once the military exit the stage. You cannot even begin to combat corruption unless those charged with going after the corrupt are squeaky clean themselves. And we all know the RTP are the largest criminal organization in Thailand.

I must admit that I am very disappointed that the RTP were not the first target of reform. The Koh Tao debacle was an outstanding opportunity to show the RTP that their continued corrupt ways were no longer allowed. Instead they got a pat on the back and a bonus. That is when I lost all faith in the general.

The real elephant in the room, of course, is that the military are just as corrupt as the RTP, just a tad less obviously so, to the casual observer.

I am really not wishing to weigh in on the pros or cons of the current situation, but I do have a few observations after having been here quite a number of years and having worked in the education field. My experience is limited to what might be called the middle class, but over the years, I've seen students (during the baht crisis of the late 90's) from the higher level on their way down the economic ladder and I've seen the upwardly mobile group.

The younger people have a very different perception of gov't than the older generation. The older generation held sacred some institutions, which the younger generation pay little heed to. They live in a world of facebook and other social media and they have access to information from outside of Thailand.

The current gov't, and to a large extent, former gov'ts, have held on to a largely mythological concept of Thailand and Thai people. It is not necessarily based in reality.

Are things better or worse? It's hard to say, but eventually the old will have to give way to the new.

Quote from above. Are things better or worse? It's hard to say, but eventually the old will have to give way to the new. Yes we older members of the human race must some day give way to the new. That is the cycle of life. Well as an older member I feel my quality of life in the 40's,50's,60's,70's,80's and 90 has been far superior to what the "new" members will face in the future. Unless your a future Bill Gates, Zuckerberg, O'Bama, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet the future looks dim for the average Joe and trust me we the average Joe's are in the distinct majority now and will be well into the future we were not all born equal. If we were the world would be overburdened with geniuses and no workers. We will not all invent the next best thing better than sliced bread. Some if not most of future adults will be toilers not geniuses. The geniuses must learn to care for the toilers as we are all brothers of the flesh are we not?