has anyone else had so much bad luck with electrical items

steven100

This is not just about the poor quality control only in Thailand as some items were made in china.

Having bought a number of electrical items over the past years and all seem to stop working or fail in some way or another. I was curious if I am cursed when it comes to buying anything electrical ... has anyone else had a bad run with similar ... ?

Yesterday - Android Ipad stopped working , now won't load OS.

Computer - 2 weeks ago screen flashed black then buzzing noise. Now buzzing all the time but can turn speakers off. ( I suspect it's the power lead / transformer block ) as it was clicking when it happened. Now my TV is buzzing always.

Computer - 1 week ago mouse stopped working. replaced with a new one.

Computer - year ago, keyboard keys wouldn't work correctly. replaced.

Computer - 3 years ago , power box inside went faulty. replaced.

Computer - 3 or more yrs ago, floppy disk player stopped functioning, won't load floppies. ( not concerned)

DVD player - 4 months ago , fuse inside blew. fixed fuse.

VCD player - years ago , stopped working, wouldn't load VCD's ... in the bin.

Acer smartphone - in shop 2 times , first unit replaced because speaker not work, second time software prob.

Ericsson G705, 2 times in shop, slide on mobile keys problem cable inside kinked, fixed twice .. now stopped again.

Electric kettle,( kando brand ) leaked ... in the bin.

Electric kettle, stainless steel type, plug in pin pushed back inside ( plastic broke ) bin

Electric fan, swivel started clicking and not turning. now stationary.

Electric slow cooker, outside plastic switch broke, now super glued together.

TV , bought a Toshiba and came home, switched on , wouldn't power up. Replaced with Panasonic. ( Now the TV is buzzing because of the computer power problem )

Ok ... thats my list, I've had my whinge for today ... gigglem.gif

Bloody hell the 8 Track in my car has just stopped working ( anyone remember those )

I am the most useless IT geek- just an end user - I am not sure I have gazed upon the total wonderfulness of a floppy disk for at least 20 years.

I think we were feeling sorry for the OP until he / she/ third gender mentioned a floppy disk .

The electrical equipment here is not so bad- and local makes very cheap - don't drop things and certainly do NOT let any Thai members of your household ( except the butler ) touch anything electrical .

Dirty power supply maybe? At another house and the UPS would click away a dozen times a day with the poor power supply. Same UPS in this house, connected to the same computer and never clicks. Get yourself a line interactive UPS with automatic voltage regulation (AVR) to smooth out the power supply.

Mate of mine brought 20 light bulbs from a small shop in Chiang Mai.

Every time he screwed one into the socket it broke, all 20 off them

He went back to the shop and this is how the conversation panned out as he related it to me

MATE These bulbs are no good

OWNER I know

MATE Why do you sell them then?

OWNER Coz they are cheap, the ones that work are over there, but they are dearer and people like cheap

MATE Well don't they bring them back when they find out they are rubbish?

OWNER No, they just come in and buy the better ones

I think this all has to do with Thai's understanding of Karma, if you buy duds, that's what you were supposed to get and to return them losses face.

I have dined out on this story for many years now

Android Ipad stopped working

I never knew Google (which supports and develops Android) makes i-Pads (supported and developed by Apple, Google's nemesis). That must be one heck of a "clone" you have. No wonder it stopped working!

tongue.pnglaugh.png

At first I was going to say something stupid but I think a few have it it on the head....your power supply, pc TV etc get a anti surge 4 or more plug power board, if you own the place get a surge protector installed in your fuse box.

My electrical problems are caused by either jingjoks getting inside things and shorting circuits, or dirty power supply.

Don't forget the ants, they appear to be attracted to anything with a power cable on it.

What's a floppy disk? blink.png

It's old so you wouldn't have heard of them ... they were used to store data ...

I've still got mine, and the plug in reader.

As for appliances, they are so complicated now with all the stupid computerisation that they don't work long. They are like US cars- built in obsolescence. I can remember when a pop up toaster just had a lever operated switch and heating elements- have you looked inside one recently- just rubbish.

Mate of mine brought 20 light bulbs from a small shop in Chiang Mai.

Every time he screwed one into the socket it broke, all 20 off them

He went back to the shop and this is how the conversation panned out as he related it to me

MATE These bulbs are no good

OWNER I know

MATE Why do you sell them then?

OWNER Coz they are cheap, the ones that work are over there, but they are dearer and people like cheap

MATE Well don't they bring them back when they find out they are rubbish?

OWNER No, they just come in and buy the better ones

I think this all has to do with Thai's understanding of Karma, if you buy duds, that's what you were supposed to get and to return them losses face.

I have dined out on this story for many years now

In the UK I bought some cheap screwdrivers from one of those one pound shops. First time I used them they bent as made from mild steel. Didn't make that mistake again.

Some things appear to last forever, others fail, some just fail faster here regardless of the price paid or Name....

2x light bulb has blown, [have 19] 1x strip light tube stopped working [have 21] all were 11 years old in March....

on the other hand, on the 3rd washing machine this time a far more expensive one Toshiba 17 KG....

Power washer appear a problem, Bosch 2x replacements under warranty, the 3 rd one bought as replacement went to the recycle place, much bigger Black and Decker, also replaced under warranty, motor gone on the replacement.... now have a far more expensive Zinsano Caspian, so far 8 months on all OK.... Electric Drills appear to last no time at all have had 4, present one is a much bigger more expensive Ryobi Pro so far so good..

on the other hand came here with a Panasonic DVD player, bought another here same make and model, the UK one is still working fine [will not play some movies as make for UK], the Thai bought one lasted 18 months, think the present one is Number 6 or 7 !!

! TB hard drive went funny within 10 months, still used then exchanged last week 13 months old under warranty......... Cheap kettle still works fine 11 years on. + many other things still working fine...

so looks like it makes little difference where it is made, some things last others don't

well steven welcome to the club,i have been posting for the past 4yrs.about the junk that we have had fail,the last being a water pump.

my mrs.is well known down at the recycling dump the last lot got her 640bht.

just a few,2 water pumps,lawn mower,deep fat fryer,2kettles,toaster,cooker hood,most only lasted about 18months.

This is not just about the poor quality control only in Thailand as some items were made in china.

[...]

Now that line is funny all by itself.

Quality is a lost art no longer practiced as it was deemed impractical and expensive.

Quality Control, a job title, I believe, has become synonymous with nepotism and ineffective.

Everything you listed is a normal and not unexpected occurrence.

I've been known to redesign and affix a patch or two to android devices, electronic appliance, electrical device, or fan ...but that's only because I'm cursed with thinking that I'm a engineer/technician. (Whispering:) It's actually cheaper to buy a new one.

Don't know about other electrical items.But heat isn't the computer's best friend.Many people in Thailand don't have their air conditioning on during the day.They want to save electricity.But A computer being in A hot house all day I believe is shortening

It's life.

nearly everything i have bought in big C has been garbage ,pressed tghe button to open a kettle one day and the spring snapped and the lid broke off

large rotary fans etc that burn out after a few months although seeminly have a 2 year warranty ,it takes half a hour of argueing before they will exchange it for a new one

laptop lcds ,power cables ,charging cables like micro usb all seem to get fukced up faster than they used to

western digital and seagate hdds (i dont know how many broken 500GB drives i have at home ,theyre all from

fortune town shops (are they reconditioned or fake or something ) as they come in an unmarked tinfoil pack or bubble wrap but no box

or official packaging

supposedly have a 3 yr warranty but they never last that long ,maybe its the heat but i never had this problem

with electric items failing so rapidly

also had allen keys that were made out of a material as hard as chocolate and tried to take the heat shield off my motorbike one day and the steel edges just melted smooth

such cheap shit lol

Archived