Cirque du Soleil to bound into Bangkok

webfact

Cirque du Soleil to bound into Bangkok
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The fantasy and spectacle that is Cirque du Soleil is coming to Thailand for the first time to bring their show “Quidam” to Impact Arena.

Quidam tells the story of Zoé, a girl bored with her life whose parents ignore her. Searching for meaning, she glides into an imaginary world of the “quidams.” In this world, the quidams, meaning anonymous passers-by, are allowed to show their genuine individualities.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/06/04/cirque-du-soleil-bound-bangkok

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-06-04

It was sold recently for one billion dollars, the owners wanted more but that's all was on the table,

wonder how much the tickets will be, sow them in Europe, I know that they're not cheap...

this is a new generation of circus -minus the animals as they are fast becoming banned for animal rights reasons.
Still i think its a good move forwards, hopefully more pyrotechnics and computer imagery and modern laser shows with a story line and some amazing gymnastics will bring circuses back into the 21st century,.

Traditional circus is still great for the kiddies.

But the image of clowns has been tarnished.

It's horrible for kids to think that a caged and abused animal should provide entertainment. Just totally wrong story to tell our kids.

I agree, sort of. For me, the smell of lions snarling out into the ring, elephants shitting in the ring and all the rest of the animals, is what circus is all about. I come from a long line of horse trainers, Cooke's Royal Circus, and know what I am talking about. So, sadly, we have to admit that the word 'circus' has become obsolete. It all seemed so normal when I was a kid and I know that animal trainers had no interest in having their beasts die, Billy Smart's Circus had a retirement park for their animals, which their owners were very much attached to. I do believe that animals in a a traditional English circus were better treated than most performing or otherwise exploited animals ion Thailand today.

Cirque du Soleil do not display animals, so maybe you should think again.

Trying to be polite here.

While it is worth seeing, I'm wondering whether Bangkok is regarded as a backwater by the Cirque du Soleil management. I saw Quidam in Melbourne, Australia at least 15 years ago.

Us old time circus people think this type of show should not be called a circus. More theater.

Acrobatics. Clowns. High-wire acts. But it's not circus? You just miss the smell of the elephant s..t.

While it is worth seeing, I'm wondering whether Bangkok is regarded as a backwater by the Cirque du Soleil management. I saw Quidam in Melbourne, Australia at least 15 years ago.

Backwater? I don't think they really care as long as those hundreds-of-millions of baht are easily exchanged for Canadian dollars.

It was sold recently for one billion dollars, the owners wanted more but that's all was on the table,

wonder how much the tickets will be, sow them in Europe, I know that they're not cheap...

Jsst read the atteached article from Coconuts Bangkok on the original posting:

Ticket are on sale now at Thai Ticket Major at prices ranging from THB1,000 to 5,000.

Quidam tells the story of Zoé(here called NOI), a girl bored with her life(on the rice paddy) whose parents ignore her(due of gambling and Lao Kao). Searching for meaning(entertaining and better paid job), she glides into an imaginary world(Pattaya) of the “quidams.” In this world, the quidams(punters), meaning anonymous passers-by(short term), are allowed to show their genuine individualities(pervert fantasy's).

...where have i seen this before???

I have seen Cirque du Soleil on three occasions, in London, Hong Kong and in Canada, Each time the performance was stunning, breathtaking in parts and a magical experience.

If you have the chance, go see it, it is something you will never forget, I'm sure.

This is a bit late, but... for what it's worth, I recommend that all Thais and Thai residents boycott this group. I emailed Cirque when I first moved here in '07 and asked if they'd ever played in or near Bangkok or if they had plans to do so, that I knew everyone here would love their show. What I got back was the most disgusting, rudest response I've ever received via email. Basically, the note said they'd never played Bangkok, NOR DID THEY EVER INTEND TO, and for me to refrain from emailing them again. Shortly after that, I began receiving tons of French & French-Canadian spam email. Maybe they objected to me because I wrote them in English - I really have no idea, since I asked them an innocent, simple question very politely. Anyhow, that was my experience - and I'll be d***ed if I'll EVER pay a single baht to see them perform.