Baht buses to get safety upgrade

Rimmer

Baht buses to get safety upgrade

n3Baht.jpg

PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s baht buses are to get a much-needed safety upgrade.

Chonburi deputy commander, Pol. Col. Trairong Piewphun kicked off the Safe Pattaya Baht Bus Project May 21 at Pattaya School No. 8.

A brainchild of Pattaya police and Pattaya Transport Cooperative, the project is aimed at safeguarding tourists and residents from both poor drivers and thieves.

Pattaya superintendent Pol. Col. Sukthat Pumpunmuang said the purpose of the Safe Baht Bus Project is to train taxi drivers to drive safely, and protect passengers and their valuables.

He said safety nets will be installed on the now-open sides of the pickup-truck taxis to protect people and their belongings. The police chief is confident it will create a sense of security for visitors and residents of Pattaya.

Countless passengers have gold jewelry snatched from the necks by thieves on motorbikes as they sat in the back of the songthaews. Roaming gangs of transvestite pickpockets also target tourists riding in the back of the baht buses.

Sukthat stated that all baht buses that join the program will get a sticker to display prominently on their vehicles.

Trairong added that more than 200 taxis have joined the program and begun making improvements to their vehicles. He will ensure that every baht bus in Pattaya will take part in this project.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/baht-buses-to-get-safety-upgrade-47653#sthash.JnRWU6Oo.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-06-05 footer_n.gif

Would be better to stop over loading the baht bus

They should set a max amount of people on board at any time.

The fools who stand on the back are just that, fools.

Any extra training for the drivers can only be good. smile.png

Edited by onemorechang

I noticed some of those "safety" nets and wondered what the story was.

I thought maybe so people don't stick their arms out to get clipped by passing buses.

Or maybe to hang paid adverts.

But I guess it's about preventing theft through the windows?

Okie dokie.

I also noticed some buses have a sign about safety with a phone number, but I didn't really give that a second thought.

"Roaming gangs of transvestite pickpockets".

Have you noticed these Jingthing?

I've seen the gangs, yes, and even hit once by them on a bus while fully sober (they're good) but I think the ones working on the buses are mostly middle aged actual ladies.

I've seen the gangs, yes, and even hit once by them on a bus while fully sober (they're good) but I think the ones working on the buses are mostly middle aged actual ladies.

Maybe a car dashcam camera or even a dummy camera mounted in the passenger compartment might deter pickpockets

Maybe a car dashcam camera or even a dummy camera mounted in the passenger compartment might deter pickpockets

+1...cameras might be a good idea.

Got to agree with you - really <deleted> dumb idea to stand on the back of those things. A bumpy ride could cause a bang on the head causing you to tumble off the back, or a collision at the back could easily lose you your legs. No shortage of takers though.

I don't wave 'em down if they look like they're heavily loaded, and wave 'em off if there is no place to sit. Some other chump can win the Darwin award for that.

"safeguarding tourists and residents from both poor drivers and thieves."

Doesn't this describe most of them?

"Countless passengers have gold jewelry snatched from the necks by thieves on motorbikes as they sat in the back of the songthaews. Roaming gangs of transvestite pickpockets also target tourists riding in the back of the baht buses"

C'mon now, they steal no matter where you sit.

Trairong added that more than 200 taxis have joined the program.....

How many baht buses in Pattaya? Hundreds or thousands?

As a rule the baht bus drivers show no consideration for other road users at all. A proper driving test with the driver's qualification (not just his/her picture and number) on display would be a step in the right direction, as would designated pick-up and drop-off points.

My friend got done by one of these "gangs" (1 katoey and 1 tom) They watched him withdraw from an ATM, then they followed him on to the baht bus and the katoey sat next to him. The accomplice sat opposite, next to me to distract my attention while the katoey stole his cash from the side pocket of his cargo style pants under cover of a large bag over his knee. He felt the contact, but didn't think anything of it. He only realized when he got off, by which time the baht bus and thieves had gone.

I'm not sure what anyone can do to stop that, except keep your hand on your money when you're on a baht bus.

And of course for the privelige of being "safer" you will now be charged triple the true rate instead of the present double......

10 baht is the fare for all now dude. 20 for very long rides only.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I noticed some of those "safety" nets and wondered what the story was.

I thought maybe so people don't stick their arms out to get clipped by passing buses.

Or maybe to hang paid adverts.

But I guess it's about preventing theft through the windows?

Okie dokie.

I also noticed some buses have a sign about safety with a phone number, but I didn't really give that a second thought.

If you try the number you will be connected to, "dial a chant."

Trairong added that more than 200 taxis have joined the program.....

How many baht buses in Pattaya? Hundreds or thousands?

As a rule the baht bus drivers show no consideration for other road users at all. A proper driving test with the driver's qualification (not just his/her picture and number) on display would be a step in the right direction, as would designated pick-up and drop-off points.

somewhere between 800 and a thousand, depending on the season, I believe...

The last time I took one the driver started from origination point with 16 passengers and picked up three more on the way to Jomtien. Theft can easily occur in a baht bus too...my friend had wallet lifted by guy sitting next to him. There should be limit to how many people these pickup trucks can handle.

I think at very little cost it would be a good idea to install a small camera (like a dash cam)in each one. Might help towards catching the thieves when they play back who was sitting next to victims.

These so called safety measures only just scratch the surface of of the issues relating to Baht Buses and their drivers.

Start with psychometric testing drivers and ban those with homicidal tendencies, then test them for the ability to actually drive in a manor that is safe, then inspect the vehicles for safety and road worthiness.

I stand on the back all the time, if the vehicle is crowded. It has never been even a minor problem for me. Far more comfortable than sitting jammed up against some sweaty tourist. Given the traffic in Pattaya these days, the baht buses are normally moving very slowly in any case so I fail to see the danger. Far safer IMHO than being a passenger on a motorcycle taxi, for example.

It sounds like a good idea, but these 'nets' will find alternative uses or fall into disrepair.

Another idea another photo-shoot, let's go away and forget all about it like the baht bus stopping points, and the posted prices.

I stand on the back all the time, if the vehicle is crowded. It has never been even a minor problem for me. Far more comfortable than sitting jammed up against some sweaty tourist. Given the traffic in Pattaya these days, the baht buses are normally moving very slowly in any case so I fail to see the danger. Far safer IMHO than being a passenger on a motorcycle taxi, for example.

Just because you do it 'all the time' does not make it less foolish, it reflects on you.

There have been numerous broken skulls over the years and guess who gets hurt if the baht bus is rear ended.

Can those stepping boards really hold all that weight as the bus bumps up and down and the road roller is behind it.

Darwin is watching.......

Edited by jacko45k