'Staying longer may hurt faith in junta, government'

'Staying longer may hurt faith in junta, government'
KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN
ANAPAT DEECHUAY
THE NATION

30261760-01_big.jpg?1433543259924

BANGKOK: -- Political groups warn that the public may not like the reform process being extended before an election

POLITICAL factions have warned that the credibility of the National Council for Peace and Order and the National Reform Council will be hit hard if they insist on holding on to power by extending the roadmap to complete the reform process.

Their comments came hot on the heels of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha's remark on Thursday that he might stay on for a longer period than the current plan if people want him to do so to push through difficult reforms.

But Prayut, who is also the NCPO leader, stressed that all parties concerned must ensure he would be protected from countervailing pressures in such an event.

Yesterday, Prayut reiterated that he had no desire to extend his time as head of the government beyond the original plan which earlier indicated that there would be a general election to return power to the people sometime next year. Yet, the premier repeated his statement that he would be willing to stay on longer if that was the people's choice.

While thanking those who supported him staying in power longer, he said: "As the nation’s leader, I could neither accept nor reject their wish. However, if it's possible, maybe what the people have to do is to [hold a referendum to determine if there will be two years of reform before the next general election].

"That's what I said. It doesn't mean that I have already accepted their request. If I don't have to do this [the reform], it'll be easier for me because that's the next government's business.

"On the other hand, if they want me to push through the reform work, they'll have to come up with a method that makes it acceptable for the outside world. Please do not say that I want to stay for a longer time. That's not right. No, I don't want to."

Prayut said it would be up to the Election Commission to decide whether such a referendum could be held.

Red-shirt leader Nattawut Saikua said extending the roadmap would destroy the creditability of the NCPO and Prayut.

"They have confirmed that everything would go in accordance with the roadmap. Now, it's questionable," he said.

"This is not to mention how Thailand would look in the eyes of the international community. Any confidence that we will return to democracy will be shaken."

He also suggested that members of the so-called "five rivers of power" - the NCPO, the Cabinet, the NRC, the National Legislative Assembly, and Constitution Drafting Committee - stand at the next election if any of them wanted to stay on longer. If they won support, they could stay for another four years, not just two as planned.

Red-shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn was worried some people would be upset and perceived that Prayut failed to keep his word.

"In the roadmap, it says there will be an election to return to democracy and the NCPO and NRC will leave. But now they are testing public sentiment to see if the roadmap should be further extended. People won't be happy if the premier breaks his promise," Weng said.

Regarding the "Reform before Election" campaign proposed by some members of the NRC, Weng firmly opposed the idea and said the NRC lacked the legitimacy to do that.

He remarked that many of the council's members were once part of the People's Democratic Reform Committee. So having them take charge of reform was nothing but imposing the PDRC's ideology and approach on the entire country.

Akanat Promphan, the PDRC spokesman, said both the NRC and the NCPO should focus on their immediate tasks rather than on trying to prolong their stay.

"The NRC should be working against time and complete their missions according to the roadmap. Now it's the time that they report to the people what they have done that contributes to the reform and not talk about the prolonging their stay," he said.

Buddha Issara, a Buddhist monk who helped lead the street protests that led to the coup last year, said he would collect 50,000 signatures in support of a referendum that would determine whether to postpone the next election - scheduled for September 2016 at the earliest - until the junta's reform process is complete. "I support [the idea] of reform before an election," Buddha Issara said.

Phra Suthep Paphakaro, formerly Suthep Thaugsuban of the Democrat Party who led rallies to bring down the Yingluck government, said he would not return to the political arena after leaving the monkhood but would focus on public sector work aimed at improving the rural community's economic standing and general well-being.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Staying-longer-may-hurt-faith-in-junta-government-30261760.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-06

not staying long enough might lead back to square one - corruption, cronies, robbing the country, shin gang

I'm afraid it will anyway unless the entire electoral system is rigged, which will lead to its own set of problems. What a mess!

not staying long enough might lead back to square one - corruption, cronies, robbing the country, shin gang

Saudii Arabia has a higher chance of accepting secularism compared to Thailand getting rid off corruption.

whistling.gif of course.

But just for the record, although I am not a fan of the current Junta, I can honestly state here that I feel more confident in the honesty of the current PM than ANY elected or unelected Thai politician before him.

Saudii Arabia has a higher chance of accepting secularism compared to Thailand getting rid off corruption.

may be - but why not give them a chance?

Sure the politicos don't want the PM & Junta Gov't to stay in office.........they're wanting to get their snouts back in the trough; running short of cash!!

So-called 'politico's" are the results of Democratic elections. It is what elections are designed to produce...Such is the case in every mature Democracy,

Demonizing them is both ideological and denigrates the electorate and their choices.

Those who do that are anti-democratic.

I hope they stay longer before the next "buy an election" comes

If you think military coups don't "buy" their way to power, you are historically shortsighted.

One case in point are the Southern rubber plantation owners who openly supported the Prayut coup because they hoped for higher rubber prices than what the Yingluck regime could deliver. And Prayut delivered.

Without active financial and political backing a military of 200,000 armed soldiers cannot subjugate 60 million Thais without a massive civil war. If the coup leaders lose, they die as traitors.

I had a discussion with two educated Thais that I know well enough to discuss this situation with. What it really boils down to is that they don't care WHAT government is in office as long as it is not a Shinawatra. They said a little corruption was ok, the Shinawatra family was TOO corrupt.

Products of a FINE Thai education.

If you think military coups don't "buy" their way to power, you are historically shortsighted.

One case in point are the Southern rubber plantation owners who openly supported the Prayut coup because they hoped for higher rubber prices than what the Yingluck regime could deliver. And Prayut delivered.

Without active financial and political backing a military of 200,000 armed soldiers cannot subjugate 60 million Thais without a massive civil war. If the coup leaders lose, they die as traitors.

Hoping for some help, if it is rubber or rice price is something different than vote buying with cash money, or party and MP buying.

The southeners would have supported Kermit the Frog as long as he is against the Shinawatra clan.

And how do you get rid of them if they fail?

Hurt faith in the junta? not possible, there was none in the first place. We all know why you are here and what you are waiting for.

As for me, they can stay as long as they want until they have fixed the ill society of this country. After all, they are the only ones in decades who really have an interest to make this country better and get rid of the Mafia and corruption.

Unfortunately, fixing this country will take a lifetime and I won't be alive anymore when it finally has happend (but probably never anyway, this Hydra can not be exterminated)

And how do you get rid of them if they fail?

Stage a coup?biggrin.png

Edited by JAG

Hoping for some help, if it is rubber or rice price is something different than vote buying with cash money, or party and MP buying.

The southeners would have supported Kermit the Frog as long as he is against the Shinawatra clan.

Are you really suggesting that MP's in the south and those with aspirations to be elected in the south do not buy votes?

Hurt faith in the junta? not possible, there was none in the first place. We all know why you are here and what you are waiting for.

As for me, they can stay as long as they want until they have fixed the ill society of this country. After all, they are the only ones in decades who really have an interest to make this country better and get rid of the Mafia and corruption.

Unfortunately, fixing this country will take a lifetime and I won't be alive anymore when it finally has happend (but probably never anyway, this Hydra can not be exterminated)

Yes, but the West will only calll Thailand a democracy when the Thais get what they want. Us foreigners wanting or not wanting a vote is not very important.

Yes, what do the Thais want ? Do they want to have a vote ? Do more Thais want to have a vote than those who don'twant a vote ? Do more Thais tick the box for Thaksin rather than Abhisit ? Do lots of Thais want to tick the box for the junta ? Does the junta want to be on that list of parties that the Thais can choose ?

Is it important that Thailand has a vote if more than half actually want a vote ? Is it important if we ever find out about whether Thais who tick the box for Abhisit outnumber those who tick the box for Thaksin ?

whistling.gif of course.

But just for the record, although I am not a fan of the current Junta, I can honestly state here that I feel more confident in the honesty of the current PM than ANY elected or unelected Thai politician before him.

How so? Because of what you read in the (censored) press?

whistling.gif of course.

How so? Because of what you read in the (censored) press?

Questions like that and "What news sources do you consider credible" tend to be consistently ignored by the fanbois for whatever reason.

Faith in your captors ?

What faith?

More spin by propaganda machine .

Polls and spin.

People have currently no freedom and are being held hostage by armed men .

That's the simple truth.

Your simple truth seems a bit beside the more common truth as people see it.

with armed men around me holding me hostage, I got permission to write

"Greetings,

uncle rubl"

Faith in your captors ?

What faith?

Polls and spin.

That's the simple truth.

"Greetings,

uncle rubl"

The common truth as which people see it?

Faith in your captors ?

What faith?

Polls and spin.

That's the simple truth.

"Greetings,

uncle rubl"

The common truth as which people see it?

Ah, you mean the "staying longer may hurt faith in junta government".