Windows Vista Rc1

Guest Reimar

Hi,

yesterday I downloaded Windows Vista RC1 from Microsoft and installed in the morning on my Notebook.

The specification of my Notebook: Compaq Presario 2500 (2598AT), 2.8 GHz. Celeron, 796 MB RAM CL2, 80/5400 GByte Harddisk, DVD-RW, LAN, Audio, USB x 3, IR, 15.1".

The installation time: 1 1/2 h. until the 1. full start. All driver needed to reinstall and needed 2 h to get everything to work.

Speed: slow and copy over network 1/4 of the "normal" speed. Internet quiet slow. Working in Windows more complicated as XP or Sever 2003. All windows came up slowly and more difficult and much more slow to move between different windows.

Tomorrow I'll install on 64 Bit with 3 GByte RAM and Dual Core AMD.

The result I'll post after setup.

Facit until right now: difficult for "normal" user and much more slow as the "old" XP.

Facit until right now: difficult for "normal" user and much more slow as the "old" XP.

Thanks for this 'empirical' information. Do you have any benchmark software to run on the platforms to get relative measurements, that is XP against VISTA under the different platforms? Also some basic timing for standard Office applications (opening and closing documents) would be useful.

These Presarios 25xx are real dogs, especially the Celeron-based ones. I have a 2585 and it really crawls. I have replaced the 2.6Ghz Celeron by a 2.4Ghz P4 CPU and that improved things a bit, but the ALi northbridge chip is definitely making

performance miserable, when compared to similar machines with Via or Intel chipsets. Not to mention the pathetic AGP chip with slow shared memory.

Anyway that certainly doesn't explain all of Vista being so slow. I do expect, however, that anything with less than a 2.4 P4 and 1Gb RAM and a decent chipset will crawl.

With computer purchases slowing down, Intel needs some help from Microsoft too bost them again. Vista will do it (at least that's what they expect).

--Lannig

Today I had no time to do anything but I'll re-install XP on the Notebook. Vista will be installed on a 64 Bit with AMD dual core 3800, 3 GByte RAM, SATA 2, PCI-X 6600/512 MB Extreme all on MSI Platinum MB. Or is it Diamond? Have to take a look!! Own memory sometimes to low!!

Anyway, useless on a Presario 2500/2.8. Even when the memory are CL2!!

Benchmark testing I do not because I dont trust them. :o Testing will be done with my "normal" software which I use for rendering and compiling, that tells me much more than any benchmark test!

Will keep posting.

hi'

it seems to me that one was aware of vista hunger of ram and speed ...

nothing less than P4 3ghz or similar in AMD collection, the best would be Coreduo, and a Video Card of 256mb ram, nothing less than 1gb ram on board, with these settings, vista and aero would work alright ...

you want vista? upgrade your machine! :o

francois

hi'

it seems to me that one was aware of vista hunger of ram and speed ...

nothing less than P4 3ghz or similar in AMD collection, the best would be Coreduo, and a Video Card of 256mb ram, nothing less than 1gb ram on board, with these settings, vista and aero would work alright ...

you want vista? upgrade your machine! :o

francois

Now I run Vista the last 2 days on an AMD 3800 Dual Core, 3 GB RAM and PCI-X 512 MB.

Works well. Istallation 30 min and most drivers installed. Speed OK! Tomorrow I'll check with FS2004.

Installed on AMD Sempron 2800 with 1 GB RAM and AGP 128 MB works fine also. 30 min for installation and just a little slower than the other one within "normal" working.

The difference is by rendering and compiling: Dual 3800 rendering: 47 min and compiling 8 min, on the Sempron rendering: 2.01 h and compiling: 21 min. By both computer the CPU work 100% and Memory between 90 - 97%

For a Laptop need at minimum 1 GB Ram, SATA HDD and CPU with 3 GHz and 2 MB Level 2 Cache.

The MS-Vista RC1 is the Ultimate Version and this need a lot more RAM and CPU Speed as the lower versions will need !