Dill Pickles

Do you like a dill pickle? I love them, just to eat on their own with a beer, with a ploughmans lunch, thinly sliced in a hamburger, chopped up in a potato or egg salad their uses are varied.

I've never seen then in Thailand so imagine my surprise yesterday ay Makro I saw jars for sale. I bought a couple and thery're not bad at all. Thai produce, SIS brand priced at 65 baht a jar. I you like a dill give them a try.

Of course what I would like to see for sale here is the finest pickle of them all, the Polish 'Polski Ogorki" The last time I saw those was in Australia, and funnily enough they were produced in Canada. Don't suppose we'll see them on sale here and if so they would undoubtedly be prohibitively expensive.

BigC has from time to time German ones, the big fat juicy one: Very expensive >200 Baht but very good.

At villa I saw some American one which are somehow between vinegar and salt but with chilli added. Strange but good.

I also saw some kosher one from Villa which I never bought.

Polish one sound good as well....

Dill pickles are easy to make and cucumbers are plentiful in Thailand.

I make my own.

Use google for a recipe, there are many there.

Dill = " bak see lao" in passa Thai..easy to find here.

Unlike your standard dill pickles which are sweet to some degree, Ogorki have a much more tart/ sour taste I had a bit of a search on YT and founds this.

It's in Polish but does have English subtitles. Exact measurements are in the additional information section under the video which means watching it on the YT site. They are in Polish but Google translate the page and it is all good. The only ingredient that could be difficult to sauce is fresh horseradish root. Mason jars can be found in Makro stores at 60 Baht each as I remember. I would also suggest the addition of a teaspoon of Alum in the pickling liquid as it really does help to keep the pickles from going soft over time. The constant heat on Samui where I live is an issue as it serves to effectively slowly cook the cucumbers and they disintegrate after a couple of months. I've tried keeping a number of unopened jars in the fridge but then they just don't seem to pickle. I have no idea why but member Naam may know as he seems pretty clued up on these matters.

Given the usual high cost of imported preserved vegetables and the low cost of fresh vegetables here in Thailand, making them yourself is a very worthwhile endeavour. I'm sure wherever you live there is a glut of certain food items at various stages of the year. During October I can pick up 10kg of those small red shallots for 20-25 Baht. They make great Pickled onions at perhaps 10 Baht a jar all all in.

Alum: http://chemistry.about.com/od/moleculescompounds/f/What-Is-Alum.htm

Since I have gone into such depth can this thread be moved to the western food sub section of the forum at some stage please Mods.

been after them for ages for my potato and other salads, only been able to find the little thai ones that dont taste all that nice so will definitely have to grab some of these.

attachicon.gifP6070001.JPG

I am having one of these right now. I think they are a little too sweet.

They can only be used for potato salad etc, where you can add some more ingredients.

Compared with "real" pickles they are just sweet, mushy ****.

Before I've made my own, I replaced some amount of the brine with cheap 5% acid and let them rest for a few days.

They became acceptable somehow, but still an inferior taste, compared to my home made pickles...

• 2 weeks later...

Something to use the dill pickles you paid for but don't like.

I've eaten this soup many many times and love it but if the dills are too sweet then you will need to add a little white vinegar. Chances of getting parsley root over here in Thailand are very slim but there is another way to get the slightly nutty flavour it imparts. Cut a medium onion in half and burn the two exposed flat surfaces on the bottom of the pan (no oil) for about a minute.

Archived