Retirement Visa and letter from US Embassy

I am going to apply for a retirement visa at the end of the month. I am wondering if Thai Immigration still accept a letter from the US Embassy stating that I have sufficient funds coming into the Kingdom every month. Actually, I applied for a retirement visa three years ago with the letter from the US Embassy and it was a piece of cake. No problem. But three months latter my former employer asked me to come back to work so I had to cancel the retirement visa.I am wondering if there have been any changes regarding the letter from the US Embassy or whether Thai Immigration may want additional documentation.

And it costs you 50 bucks.

The same as any notary service - and you can use most credit cards or local currency for payment.

You should have supporting proof of income declared on letter when making application at immigration in the off-chance it is asked. They always have the option to ask for further paperwork in addition to Embassy letters.

NOTE in PHUKET

the letter alone is not good enough, you need some sort of back up about ur funds.

The out reach does NOT accept CC only Thai Baht or US$

I did my 1st extension in Feb using only the letter and it worked just fine.

Did my 1-year renewal in Phuket again (this is renewal #12). Letter from US Embassy all that was needed. Had copies of my bankbook every page but they just gave back without even looking. Something new though, a required copy of credit card, discussed that a bit but had to go downstairs and get copy. Credit card copy was barely legible, name was "Preferred Member", front only but it satisfied the lads. Filed docs in the PM, got photo made, and receipt with spamed item to pick up ppt next day at 1030. Did that, all very smooth.

If you have supporting financial documents you can take those with you when you get you Proof of Income letter. They can notarize those at no extra cost. Don't have to but it doesn't hurt and may even help.

Immigration offices at any office at any time have every legal right to request supporting evidence to back up the claims in embassy letters from any embassy.

In other words, please don't lie to your embassy and it's the smart thing to be ready to offer supporting backup evidence of the claimed income IF asked.

Do not present this evidence UNLESS demanded, of course.

Did my 1-year renewal in Phuket again (this is renewal #12). Letter from US Embassy all that was needed. Had copies of my bankbook every page but they just gave back without even looking. Something new though, a required copy of credit card, discussed that a bit but had to go downstairs and get copy. Credit card copy was barely legible, name was "Preferred Member", front only but it satisfied the lads. Filed docs in the PM, got photo made, and receipt with spamed item to pick up ppt next day at 1030. Did that, all very smooth.

That's interesting about having to give a copy of a credit card. I did mine last week in Phuket and had heard some people have been asked for that. I took a copy of mine (with the first 12 digits covered) and they did not ask for it. I wonder why they ask for it from some and not others. I also had statements from 3 banks and they only took a statement from 1 even though the the 1 bank alone did not match my declared income.