I got rejected for a credit card - where else to apply?

Looking at other threads here, I thought I was in good standing to get a credit card. But Standard & Chartered just called to say they've rejected my application because my score is too low.

Are there any easier banks to apply with? I know the the credit limits at Standard Chartered do start quite high.

I've lived in the same employer-provided condo for 3 years, worked here 3 years, and have an average salary (70k/m). I thought this would be enough to at least get something. It's SUCH a pain buying things online with my UK account.

Anyone in a similar situation to me had any luck?

Edited by razorramone

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use debit cards from Bangkok and kasikorn bank and the latter has als a virtual credit card with their online banking.

Both banks you can make a fixed deposit for a credit card.

Become a Thai airways frequent flyer and get a platinum American express credit card that way

Sent from my S4 LTE

Edited by boike

If you have the money to put in a locked deposit as collateral, you could get a "secured" credit card. Basically the only requirement to get a Thai bank secured credit card is the locked deposit. Typically a Bt100K deposit will get you a credit card with a Bt100K line of credit. But with this type of card you are basically providing your own line of credit based on your deposit....the bank doesn't have to worry about losing money because they have your money which serves a collateral.

Pib: I'd be happy with that. I asked standard chartered for pretty much the same thing, but they said no. Although I am doubtful they actually understood what i was saying. Which banks offer that?

I've got one of those kbank online shopping cards, but its just a hassle having to log into the site, find my details, then confirm the mobile one time password, and transfer funds.. etc.

Edited by razorramone

Try Citibank. I have a card with Citibank and standard chartered. Was actually not difficult at all. Just need a letter from your employer stating how much you earn, position and since when you are working. Then a copy of passport and work permit and application, you can request the application form online.

True, a deposit (50 or 100k) will get you a Visa/Master card. Bangkok Bank among them.

My thoughts: If you manage money wisely - and with your level of income - you should not need to run up credit card debt. It's only the banks that profit from credit card debt.

As somebody mentioned, try for the American Express linked with Thai Airways...worked for me no problem, no work permit. i did give them loads of bank statements. I've had this for years now so things may have changed...

The only problem is the AMEX is not as widely accepted as Visa/MC so I have a pre-paid card MC I got from UK called KALIXA which is very handy. I just keep GBP500 on it just in case.

I just use my Canadian credit card. Between that and my Thai bank debit card I never have a problem accessing funds, online or in person. On rare occasions I may need to wire some cash back to my Canadian bank so I can pay off the credit card (as I don't like carrying a balance on it for more than a few days if at all possible) but that is easy enough to do from here. Much easier than trying to do it the other way around at least.

I have not found a solution to this. All my income is generated overseas. I would love to take the option of secured credit card. Been banking with k bank since 10 plus years.

Reason being solely to profit from special offers, accumulate points etc.

Does anyone have an online link it could show to my local bank branch manager to explain to him the concept of a secured card?

Pib: I'd be happy with that. I asked standard chartered for pretty much the same thing, but they said no. Although I am doubtful they actually understood what i was saying. Which banks offer that?

I've got one of those kbank online shopping cards, but its just a hassle having to log into the site, find my details, then confirm the mobile one time password, and transfer funds.. etc.

I have a Bangkok Bank Visa card, based on a locked deposit account, and it works well both here and on the internet and overseas

I have not found a solution to this. All my income is generated overseas. I would love to take the option of secured credit card. Been banking with k bank since 10 plus years.

Does anyone have an online link it could show to my local bank branch manager to explain to him the concept of a secured card?

Good luck explaining any concept to an employee of Kasikorn !

Once a major bank has rejected you your chances of ever obtaining a regular

credit card are, usually, ZERO ! You are now forever in credit hell, where I have

been for 10 years and their credit data is wrong but you just can't get them to change.

I doubt you will find any link on a Thai bank web site talking "secured" credit cards. Usually that will only be offered/discussed within the bank or a booth where they are trying to sign people up for credit cards. Absolutely nothing shady about secured cards, it just something they don't advertise on their websites...or at least I've never seen it advertised. It's only discussed in the bank or at application booths.

When i first got here, I wanted to get a Thai bank credit card although I had U.S. credit cards...but all my U.S. credit cards at that time had a foreign transaction fee in the 3% ballpark. I later corrected that by getting several U.S. Visa and Mastercards that did not charge a foreign transaction fee and I use them almost daily in Thailand...have been for years now.

But before I got those cards the Thai wife and I did want a Thai bank credit card. We checked several banks and each time the answer was no-can-do unless you have a work permit (I'm here on a retirement extension of stay). However, no problem getting a secured credit card route with a locked deposit. They also said if the Thai wife had a job and could get a credit card then she could have a supplemental card issued for me....but that didn't work either because the wife no longer had a job. We would point out that we are "retired" now....we don't work therefore we don't have a work permit...we got pensions/savings now...the bank would just smile and just say without a work permit the only option was the secured card with locked deposit.

I would always turn down that offer because I didn't want a secured card; I wanted an unsecured card. Bangkok Bank has offered me such secured cards several times (which is my primary bank) solicited and unsolicited, CitiBank offerred twice at one of their booths in Makro, and Krungsri (my secondary bank). I now just politely turn them all down since I have my U.S. cards which do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

True, a deposit (50 or 100k) will get you a Visa/Master card. Bangkok Bank among them.

My thoughts: If you manage money wisely - and with your level of income - you should not need to run up credit card debt. It's only the banks that profit from credit card debt.

You seem to assume that the reason for having a credit card is is to "run up credit card debt"

I have had 2 or 3 credit cards for about 50 years and only once ever did I not pay the full amount at the end of the month. So credit cards have more uses than getting expensive debt.

If you have the money to put in a locked deposit as collateral, you could get a "secured" credit card. Basically the only requirement to get a Thai bank secured credit card is the locked deposit. Typically a Bt100K deposit will get you a credit card with a Bt100K line of credit. But with this type of card you are basically providing your own line of credit based on your deposit....the bank doesn't have to worry about losing money because they have your money which serves a collateral.

I've done it this way and its the only way for a farang but I find it very useful.

Try Citibank. I have a card with Citibank and standard chartered. Was actually not difficult at all. Just need a letter from your employer stating how much you earn, position and since when you are working. Then a copy of passport and work permit and application, you can request the application form online.

I spent about 9 months trying to get a credit card through KBank, including 2 trips to KBank Head Office in Bangkok, and still no luck - even though I supplied all the documention required, and letter from my Australian bank detailing my savings there.

However, I had no trouble at all getting a credit card with CitiBank, Sukhumvit Branch (across the road from Terminal21), even tough I am retired and have no Thai income.

A letter from my Australian penion fund detailing my monthly income satisfied their evidence of income requirement.

Good luck.

I've done it this way and its the only way for a farang but I find it very useful.
Rubbish, I had an unsecured CC from SCB about 6 weeks after I arrived in Thailand to start work, in fact I had the card before my first salary deposit went into my Thai account Edited by Soutpeel

I spent about 9 months trying to get a credit card through KBank, including 2 trips to KBank Head Office in Bangkok, and still no luck - even though I supplied all the documention required, and letter from my Australian bank detailing my savings there.

However, I had no trouble at all getting a credit card with CitiBank, Sukhumvit Branch (across the road from Terminal21), even tough I am retired and have no Thai income.

A letter from my Australian penion fund detailing my monthly income satisfied their evidence of income requirement.

Good luck.

And that is because Citibank is technically not a Thai bank and some of the rules which apply to Thai banks don't apply to them

That is clear discriminate against foreigners by a British bank in Thailand. A Thai customer with your financial background would qualify several times over.

I have Thai credit cards from Citibank, Amex, Kbank, Krungsri and SCB. Bangkok Bank tried to get me to apply for one on the basis that I had to deposit cash in a special account which would be my spending limit even though I have had an account there for 15 years and my salary is paid in there. That condition was just because I was a foreigner. I just laughed at her and told her I had credit limits of B500,000 on other credit cards without depositing anything.

The banks all have their own rules. I have always found Kbank the easiest to deal with. Just shop around until you find one that meet your requirements.

When I was working as a teacher and had a work permit, I was a customer at SCB for the previous six years.

I applied for a credit card, was told that will be fine, and would get it in about two weeks, after not been informed after four weeks, I went to the

bank and asked about my credit card. I was then told my application had been turned down.

They did not even have the decency to tell me. I closed my account there and then.

Banks are like Immigration offices, they make up their own rules, what one will do, the other may not. TiT.

>It's SUCH a pain buying things online with my UK account.

Do you actually need credit to buy online or will a direct debit card do? I use a KBank Visa Debit Card (Virtual) to all my online shopping (Thai and foreign) and it's easy to get. You just need a bank balance in the black.

I just use my Canadian credit card. Between that and my Thai bank debit card I never have a problem accessing funds, online or in person. On rare occasions I may need to wire some cash back to my Canadian bank so I can pay off the credit card (as I don't like carrying a balance on it for more than a few days if at all possible) but that is easy enough to do from here. Much easier than trying to do it the other way around at least.

I use my Canadian credit card and pay the balance before due from an account in Canada online.

I have a K bank online shopping card too. I have all the numbers on paper and its with my other credit cards. I dont find it hassle at all. Its just the same as using any other credit card. The OTP is a good idea cause no one can use your credit card without your phone.

I have a K bank online shopping card too. I have all the numbers on paper and its with my other credit cards. I dont find it hassle at all. Its just the same as using any other credit card. The OTP is a good idea cause no one can use your credit card without your phone.

Yes, I have one of those as well, very useful for online use where a debit card maybe wont work, however many airlines wont accept virtual cards at check-in and they're usually no good for renting a car.

Some hotels will accept them to pre-pay for rooms but not when they want to put a hold on funds.

A car rental chap once said to me that if your bank wont trust you with a credit card, why should I trust you with one of my new cars?

Rubbish, I had an unsecured CC from SCB about 6 weeks after I arrived in Thailand to start work, in fact I had the card before my first salary deposit went into my Thai account

And this was when exactly?

When I was working as a teacher and had a work permit, I was a customer at SCB for the previous six years.

I applied for a credit card, was told that will be fine, and would get it in about two weeks, after not been informed after four weeks, I went to the

bank and asked about my credit card. I was then told my application had been turned down.

They did not even have the decency to tell me. I closed my account there and then.

Very similar thing happened to the Thai wife and I at a Bangkok Bank branch in Nakhon Pathom province we had had an account at for several years. Once moving permanently to Thailand and during that first year here when wanting a Thai bank credit card a supervisor at the bank helped us complete the application. She said a work permit would make it a shoe-in but my retirement visa and pension income with her recommendation should work out to an approval...but the paperwork had to go the credit card department in Bangkok. After a month without hearing anything we went back to the Nakhon Pathom branch which was about a 45 minutes drive away, inquired about the card status, turns out the application had come back to the branch disapproved, and no one had not notified us via mail, phone call, or anything. The branch supervisor was somewhat embarrassed called the credit card dept in Bangkok to bend their ear. She even stressed my two govt pensions (not even including social security that I don't draw yet) and savings. But the credit card dept just kept saying work permit needed....No work permit; no credit card.

But even during that very call the credit department told the supervisor if we wanted to get an secured card with the locked deposit then no problem. We closed our account at that branch a few years later simply because we were now living in Bangkok....at least the supervisor tried to gets us an unsecured card, but HQ was saying no in our case. And then when we started opening accounts at Bangkok Bank branches in Bangkok we were offerred secured cards at the HQ Bangkok Bank building branch main branch on Silom Road and at the Bangkok Bank Chaeng Wattana Branch in the CW/Bangkok Immigration building.

Do people get unsecured cards without a work permit?....I'm sure some do....but I'm pretty sure they are in the minority/the exception.

I doubt you will find any link on a Thai bank web site talking "secured" credit cards. Usually that will only be offered/discussed within the bank or a booth where they are trying to sign people up for credit cards. Absolutely nothing shady about secured cards, it just something they don't advertise on their websites...or at least I've never seen it advertised. It's only discussed in the bank or at application booths.

When i first got here, I wanted to get a Thai bank credit card although I had U.S. credit cards...but all my U.S. credit cards at that time had a foreign transaction fee in the 3% ballpark. I later corrected that by getting several U.S. Visa and Mastercards that did not charge a foreign transaction fee and I use them almost daily in Thailand...have been for years now.

But before I got those cards the Thai wife and I did want a Thai bank credit card. We checked several banks and each time the answer was no-can-do unless you have a work permit (I'm here on a retirement extension of stay). However, no problem getting a secured credit card route with a locked deposit. They also said if the Thai wife had a job and could get a credit card then she could have a supplemental card issued for me....but that didn't work either because the wife no longer had a job. We would point out that we are "retired" now....we don't work therefore we don't have a work permit...we got pensions/savings now...the bank would just smile and just say without a work permit the only option was the secured card with locked deposit.

I would always turn down that offer because I didn't want a secured card; I wanted an unsecured card. Bangkok Bank has offered me such secured cards several times (which is my primary bank) solicited and unsolicited, CitiBank offerred twice at one of their booths in Makro, and Krungsri (my secondary bank). I now just politely turn them all down since I have my U.S. cards which do not charge a foreign transaction fee.

If you go to the Krunsgri bank website they list all their credit cards. Depending upon the card they detail what the requirements are for secured credit card. They indicate for foreigners as supplying a copy of passport and work permit. When I applied at my branch in Pattaya they just wanted copy of passport , confirmed address in Thailand contact number. Credit limit is to 90% of deposit amount.