Airport taxi surcharges to be increased

Thaivisa News

All said and done...the fare increase is fair enough.

However that will not stop the percent of dishonest taxi drivers that are determined to scam people, some how someway from trying to continue to scam the vulnerable and gullible just arrived, disoriented passengers some how someway to further increase their profits.

In other words the fair value increase will not curtail the all too abundant crooks, liars and pirates from doing what they do best.

Cheers and be on guard.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that they are designed to compensate the long queuing time that the driver has to endure before picking up the fare. The theory is that if he were in the city he would be productive during that time.

Seems fair to me.

well the fact is he is guaranteed a fare at the airport without waiting too long...where as in the city he could end up driving around for 30 minutes or stuck in traffic with an empty cab.

How do you know how long they have to wait?

At LHR they actually have a huge car park and eating/washing facilities and a queue management system so that there isn't a line of taxis snaking out to the M4.

If you get a taxi to a location in the airport perimeter (e.g. one of the airport hotels), they won't get nasty about it, because they are allowed to rejoin their place in the queue after trips in that zone.

Not everything happens right in your line of sight.

My understanding is that they are designed to compensate the long queuing time that the driver has to endure before picking up the fare. The theory is that if he were in the city he would be productive during that time.

Seems fair to me.

When they are parked at the airport waiting they are not burning up petrol driving around looking for customers. It can also be used as an opportune break time.

I care less about the relatively small amount of money involved, and more about a safe/efficient/ consistently priced experience.

SL

Last time my parents came, they had to pay a fixed 700 Baht to go inside Bangkok, because luggage too big....I guess it would be possible, and surely it would be possible if the normal taxi would have "normal" sized place and aren't full with the gas tank.

Problem is that if they didn't use the space in the boot for the gas tank, they would then need to be using gasoline and the difference in cost would not be economically feasible to operate the taxi, this is based on the permitted meter rates.

Of course if some manufacturer was to be granted the right to produce a special type of vehicle to be compulsory as a taxi in Thailand, then they could design a suitable vehicle with proper boot space. Of course one shouldn't think the bulk of the taxi rides in Bangkok are taken with luggage in the boot, but mainly for commuters in the city going about their normal day.

And with the gas tank you get only half a taxi.....

It has to be hard to be A taxi driver in Bangkok.The income is so low.At JFK in New York to go to lower Manhattan it's I believe or was $45-$60. And they talk about 700 baht,around $21 to go from the airport to Bangkok.They aren't making much money.

Go to Level 4 (departures) and take a taxi that's dropping someone off. No surcharge and the guys are (usually) happy to use the meter. Win-win.

Wrong.. Those guys never use their meters.. They only negotiate a price. Maybe a while back it was okay but not anymore. Sorry.

Seems fair to me.

'' to compensate the long queuing time that the driver has to endure before picking up the fare''

You forgot to mention ''by choice''. The reason they ''endure'' the long queue is for the potential windfall of overcharging unsuspecting (and often unwilling: ''Of course I'll turn on the meter'' as they leave the exit ramp and meter still not on) tourists. Many a sob story for these hard working, hard done by taxi drivers....I still say: F 'em...F 'em all.

I don`t think this surcharge is anything to get fired up about. Here in Thailand they call it a surcharge, while in other countries they don`t call it anything, because they won`t tell you about it. It`s all packed in the price, and there`s a long variety of creative ways of doing exactly that. The difference here is that Thailand, for once, is actually open and honest about it. And I got to admit that most taxi- and tuk tuk drivers in Thailand is not exactly living the high-life on these paychecks. Most of these drivers are very friendly, work hard and wouldn`t even scam a fly. I think they deserve some more food on the table (or on the floor).

Go to Level 4 (departures) and take a taxi that's dropping someone off. No surcharge and the guys are (usually) happy to use the meter. Win-win.

I also use to take my taxi there.... although it is a bit tricky to pass the barrier

go to car park-move up there and back to taxi !!

I do the same at Noi Bai airport in Hanoi. Save heaps.

if inflation is 2- 3% in Thailand,

than price increae is usually 20% to 50%,

Same stupid story by cooked food;

gas goes up for 15 bht for a bottle,

a dish price goes up for 5 to 10 thb !

But how many dishes you cook with 1 bottle of PBGas ?

And all this is backed up usually by the gvt !

How much meantime sellaries are going up ??

Let's be honest, taxis are still very cheap comparatively to all western capitals, there is no comparison. Nobody should complain. Taxi drivers make average of 300 baht a day. It has no sense to complain about taxi pricing.

Yes.. I've done that a few times too... the taxi drivers are more that accommodating to take you into town...

Think with your brain & vote with your feet !!

Just a small increase not too much 25 bt for normal and 45 bt extra for the bigger ones. I am sure the taxi drivers wanted more. This is acceptable for sure for tourists. Now they must only make sure that they always open their meter and get suspended right away when a tourist is ripped off by them.

But I do not get why there should be one to start with.

Taxi's do not make enough, they are not forced or required to go looking for customers at the airport .

I do not think I have seen other places where taxi had a surcharge of any kind because it was airport

In my home country they do not use the meter for the airport but have fixed charges.

They tend to be far more for pick-up rather than drop off.

Right! have been doing this, if you try to get taxi other way they sometimes demand 1000BHT for a large taxi when a meter fare is only about 3/4 hundred to town.

I always give the level 4 taxi a tip as well.

Transport Min. greenlights increase of surcharge by airport taxis

BANGKOK, 10 June 2015, (NNT) - The Transport Ministry yesterday gave the green light to an increase in surcharge for taxi service operating at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang international airports.

According to Transport Minister Air Chief Marshal Prajin Junthong, the surcharge will be lower than the proposed rate suggested by a study group set up for the matter, to make sure that the public would not be much affected by the move.

Under the Cabinet resolution, the surcharge for a large-sized taxi or van taxi will be raised to 95 baht from 50 baht currently and to 75 baht from 50 baht for a sedan taxi.

The Minister said that during the first 6 months of the implementation of the new rates, the Airport of Thailand Co., Ltd. (AOT) will cover the increase from the current surcharge rates, to help absorb the burden of passengers.

ACM Prajin said he had yet to come up with the final approach on how the surcharge could be redeemed, but gave a rough idea that taxi operators could collect the surcharge receipts and redeem them from the AOT on a monthly basis.

The minister also instructed the AOT to improve its taxi management, aiming at lowering operating cost for taxi drivers and addressing the complaints made by passengers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-10 footer_n.gif

Just a small increase not too much 25 bt for normal and 45 bt extra for the bigger ones. I am sure the taxi drivers wanted more. This is acceptable for sure for tourists. Now they must only make sure that they always open their meter and get suspended right away when a tourist is ripped off by them.

See, and it's that last part that's NEVER gonna' happen. The most you can hope for is the obligatory lip service and the occasional token sacrificial lamb (and rhey think we don't get it...). 'Just took a taxi from lower Suk. Impossible to find one who would use the meter. Ignoring the rules is deep in the DNA. Support this nonsense if you're so predisposed, but don't think it's going to come with any improvements in compliance..

Wrong.. Those guys never use their meters.. They only negotiate a price. Maybe a while back it was okay but not anymore. Sorry.

On May 25th, arrived at BKK went to Level 4, grabbed a taxi - meter fare, no problem.

Last Thursday (4 June), arrived at BKK went to Level 4, grabbed a taxi - meter fare, no problem.

If anyone's wrong here....'tis thou.

Bangkok Post is reporting today that not only will the airport surcharge increase but the meter fares will increase by another 5% in July. It reported that the first fare increase in December of 8% was part of a two part fare increase with the second increase to be implemented in July.

No it is not. It punishes the people who are trying to make the system work. It also removes all form of protection from you in the event that you are ripped off. You can't complain. If you want to climb over the metal gates with a bag and dodge the guards good for you. However, don't counsel people to break the law, all to save a few baht. How cheap can you be?

Seems fair to me.

Yes you have valid points, but if you look whwere they que behind the wirport, there would 300-400 taxis waiting, the concept that they have a fair and just wait for a fare back is wrong, many drive empty to the airport, hoping to get a sucker tourist. You can see many empty taxis driving to the airport when you go there.

It is their choice.

No it is not. It punishes the people who are trying to make the system work. It also removes all form of protection from you in the event that you are ripped off. You can't complain. If you want to climb over the metal gates with a bag and dodge the guards good for you. However, don't counsel people to break the law, all to save a few baht. How cheap can you be?

Ha ha. It prevents me from being ripped off since - as I stated - those taxi drivers are ecstatic that they have a fare back to Bangkok and will use the legally mandated meter.

One doesn't need to climb over anything and the "guards" couldn't care less. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with avoiding the scam taxi drivers at the Arrivals level who try to rip off what they think are naive tourists (as an added bonus, it's faster.)

(And do you really think there is an actual law against where one catches a taxi at the airport? Or do you think maybe it's just an airport rule?)

Ha ha. It prevents me from being ripped off since - as I stated - those taxi drivers are ecstatic that they have a fare back to Bangkok and will use the legally mandated meter.

One doesn't need to climb over anything and the "guards" couldn't care less. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with avoiding the scam taxi drivers at the Arrivals level who try to rip off what they think are naive tourists (as an added bonus, it's faster.)

(And do you really think there is an actual law against where one catches a taxi at the airport? Or do you think maybe it's just an airport rule?)

I wait in line but I understand you 100% its not about saving money its about not getting ripped off.. and you are right of course its not against the law. You can't get in jail for its.. just an airport rule.

If they clean out the taxi cue make sure people don't get ripped off people wont go the cheap charlie way anymore. (only the true cheap charlies not those wanting to avoid scams)

What's the best way to get from the airport to a hotel in Khao San Rd, Bangkok? Any tips on what to be careful of or avoid when getting transport out of the airport. It will be in the afternoon. What is the average price for a taxi trip like this ? Thanks

That's all well and good. But, after all the bruhaha in recent months about drivers refusing fares, refusing to use the meter, dumping passengers in the middle of a highway etc...

THIS is the first tangible measure the government has produced on the whole subject of taxis? A reward for the taxi drivers, really?!

One would have to ask why they are then willing to endure the long queuing time if 50 baht is not enough.

Try telling the guy or girl on 10,000 baht a month who has saved for 2 years for a holiday why he/she has to pay the driver 50% more for the privalege of just taking a taking a taxi

Seems fair to me.

Very fair its only a couple of dollars

One would have to ask why they are then willing to endure the long queuing time if 50 baht is not enough.

Try telling the guy or girl on 10,000 baht a month who has saved for 2 years for a holiday why he/she has to pay the driver 50% more for the privalege of just taking a taking a taxi

Seems fair to me.

I would be telling the guy or girl in the situation you describe to get the bus then thumbsup.gif

they don't have to use a taxi from the airport, there are busses, and an express train into town

fair point unless they have lots of baggage and or children which make it problematic. I still think paying 75baht for the privalege of getting a taxi is too much

Seems fair to me.

I would be telling the guy or girl in the situation you describe to get the bus then thumbsup.gif

they don't have to use a taxi from the airport, there are busses, and an express train into town