One year extension (Marriage) - New requirement

I am a foreigner married to a foreigner we got married in a Ampur seven years ago after getting all our paperwork translated into Thai from our Embassy the birdman said it would be a lot easier for him if we did that so I will be well and truly hacked off if when we do our yearly extension next week he BIRDMAN tells us we now need to bring in an official as a witness . I get the feeling they no longer want us to contribute to the Thai economy it was only the other day when I applied for my yellow house registration book that the woman behind the desk in Nathon Municiple offices asked me for 30,000 baht of which I refused to pay, there are things happening on the island that leaves a very bad taste in the mouth !!!

Just finished yellow book, married to a Thai lady,,lengthy process some of it my fault,,cost 20 baht when picking up the book and I can't remember if there were any fees at the beginning(I don't think so) but nominal if any or I'd remember over 100 baht.

Nor would anyone else if it also applied to couples where the foreigner happens to be female.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise there was a sexual discrimination element in this?

Note my edit but see post 11.

I don't see that the requirement is different, if you are a spouse you need to have 400,000THB in your Thai bank account for the prescribed period before your application? Maybe I'm missing your point?

Nor would anyone else if it also applied to couples where the foreigner happens to be female.

I don't see that the requirement is different, if you are a spouse you need to have 400,000THB in your Thai bank account for the prescribed period before your application? Maybe I'm missing your point?

Foreign lady's married to Thai gents do not need to show any finances to obtain their "extensions of stay based on marriage".

You are. Foreign women do not need to show any money in the bank.

Foreign lady's married to Thai gents do not need to show any finances to obtain their "extensions of stay based on marriage".

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification.

I am going to finish off the marriage extension on Monday. I have already submitted initial documentation. Should I be organizing this as no one mentioned this requirement in the office or the immigration officer that came to visit. We don't know any police officers or gov officials either.

I am going to finish off the marriage extension on Monday. I have already submitted initial documentation. Should I be organizing this as no one mentioned this requirement in the office or the immigration officer that came to visit. We don't know any police officers or gov officials either.

As per my post if you are entitled to be here then there is no need to worry

The visit by immigration officials was following a phone call after the application was submitted and not arranged at the immigration office. I guess it is a spot check and may not happen to everyone.

The visit by immigration officials was following a phone call after the application was submitted and not arranged at the immigration office. I guess it is a spot check and may not happen to everyone.

Cool thanks for the info. Will let you know how I get on next week.

Good luck. In the past week I have met 2 people who had just returned from doing their extension based on marriage (both have been married 10+ years), both of them were wishing that Nok was still there.

One of them had to go and get a new bank statement, their statement had been issued the day before in Thongsala which previously had been allowed. Then they we straight up asked for 5,000 baht "for the boss".

The other had their application rejected, they were given 2 months, and were told that next time they would have to complete a drug test. I didn't get the reason for the actual rejection but the drug test seems to have been added for asking why they were rejected.

It might pay to have a sound recorder running on your phone in your shirt pocket during your meeting.

Edited by Bsd

Monday is a holiday, SI will be closed, just to save you a trip.... Tuesday morning for sure will be a Zoo of people... afternoon might be better, or wait until Wednesday....wink.png

Good luck. In the past week I have met 2 people who had just returned from doing their extension based on marriage (both have been married 10+ years), both of them were wishing that Nok was still there.

One of them had to go and get a new bank statement, their statement had been issued the day before in Thongsala which previously had been allowed. Then they we straight up asked for 5,000 baht "for the boss".

The other had their application rejected, they were given 2 months, and were told that next time they would have to complete a drug test. I didn't get the reason for the actual rejection but the drug test seems to have been added for asking why they were rejected.

It might pay to have a sound recorder running on your phone in your shirt pocket during your meeting.

1. An indication that something must be amiss with their applications or that some on Koh Phangan still subscribe to a myth that has long been debunked by the majority on Samui explained on page 2 here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823698-bank-statement-of-account-for-annual-retirement-extension/?hl=+myth%20+blackball

2. Anyone in this position could politely refuse or ring the immigration hotline from within the office for clarification. The number is posted on the walls and doors. If nothing is wrong with the application you'll experience a full 180 degree U turn before your finger hits 'ring'.

3. 2 months sounds like the standard waiting time for an extension based on marriage therefore their current status is 'Under Consideration'.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

1. An indication that something must be amiss with their applications or that some on Koh Phangan still subscribe to a myth that has long been debunked by the majority on Samui explained on page 2 here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823698-bank-statement-of-account-for-annual-retirement-extension/?hl=+myth%20+blackball

2. Anyone in this position could politely refuse or ring the immigration hotline from within the office for clarification. The number is posted on the walls and doors. If nothing is wrong with the application you'll experience a full 180 degree U turn before your finger hits 'ring'.

3. 2 months sounds like the standard waiting time for an extension based on marriage therefore their current status is 'Under Consideration'.

HTH

1. As I said these are people that have together filled a couple of passports with extensions of stay, they will have brought the same documents as they have every year. So if they have been having a harder time than before it is unlikely that they have done anything different to previous trips.

2. The offer was quite happy to hand out their business card after asking for the money, so I don't think that calling the hotline is going to do anything. Nok has previously asked people to bring along a police officer to confirm that they are married, that doesn't sound like people who are hiding what they are doing. And before you ask yes that business card is going to go to good use.

3. One month is "under consideration" and the stamp says so. Two months is I have rejected your application but didn't really have grounds to do so. Come back again then and make a new application and pay the fee again (and bring the drug test results). If you get 2 months there is no mention of under consideration it is just an extension of stay.

Went this morning. Was in and out within an hour with no issues with 1 yr extension.

Was there too this morning, got my extension for my marriage visa,

~1 hour, sorted.

and yes there was already a zoo at 8.30 AM.

...and after all those years I still don't get it, how people show up in the morning at the immigration, dressed like they just came from a full moon party...and then wonder about the reaction of the staff.

The only new rule for me this year was:

bank book update must be from today, the written bank statement for the 400K can be done a few days before.

Cheers [emoji481]