Non immigrant O visa and WP

You can get a work permit and with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa. The single entry visa allows one 90 day entry the multiple allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can also apply for a one year extension of stay if you can meet the financial requirements of 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. The extension can be applied for during the last 30 days of a 90 day entry from a non-o visa.

You cannot cancel a visa, You could cancel an extension of stay based upon working when you change jobs.

You would have to go to an embassy or consulate to get the non-o visa. Then get a new work permit.

Then apply for the extension. based upon marriage. You need at least 2 months of tax payments to prove your income when you apply for the extension.

You cannot cancel a visa, You could cancel an extension of stay based upon working when you change jobs.

You would have to go to an embassy or consulate to get the non-o visa. Then get a new work permit.

Then apply for the extension. based upon marriage. You need at least 2 months of tax payments to prove your income when you apply for the extension.

What will you have to do if you live on a Non-B visa & a WP and change jobs?

A visa entry of an extension of stay based on employement, it makes all the difference.

If on an extension of stay based on employment you need to cancel both work permit and permisison to stay. You could apply at the same time for a new WP and if you manage to get it the same day cancel your permisison to stay at immirgaiton and apply for a enw extension of stay based on your new job.

In practise it often means that you have to leave the country and apply for a new non-B visa.

• Like 1

A visa entry of an extension of stay based on employment, it makes all the difference.

If on an extension of stay based on employment you need to cancel both work permit and permission to stay. You could apply at the same time for a new WP and if you manage to get it the same day cancel your permission to stay at immigration and apply for a new extension of stay based on your new job.

In practice it often means that you have to leave the country and apply for a new non-B visa.

Thank you, Mario2008!

You mean, you will need to cancel both the extension of a Non-B and a WP and apply for a new WP

based on the new employment, and then leave Thailand for Laos or Malaysia for instance to apply

for a new Non-B. Is this correct?

That is correct. Unless you get all the paperwork for the new job in order the same day your current job ends.

How does one go about actually canceling their work permit/extension of stay? Are there specific forms for this? Where do you turn them in?

Or does quitting/being fired automatically cancel the work permit/extension of stay?

The labour department has a form. Immigration will just cancel your permission to stay and require a letter from your employer stating the last day of employment (so they can determine if you are on overstay or not).

Work permit cancellation form filed at work permit office. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/wp_cancellation.pdf

Letter from employer stating your job has ended to take to immigration office to cancel your extension.

So if im changing jobs the 1st august I just cancel my WP with this form and the same day make my new company do the paper work for new WP?

Sounds like a tight schedule...

Your new employer can apply for the new work permit and get you a work permit application approval letter. Then when the old one is canceled the new one can be issued.

According tot the rules if you are changing jobs immigration should accept the work permit approval letter to apply for a new extension after your current one is canceled using it and documents from the new employer.

Are your sure I need a letter from my employee stating my last day of employment? The Last time I finished a contract they only wanted the document from the Labour Dept. showing that I had returned my wok permit. But in order to get a new visa I had to run to the Labour dept and return the work permit, get the document, and then rush to immigration the same day with my visa application form along with my document from the Labour Dept. It had to be done on the same day.

Are your sure I need a letter from my employee stating my last day of employment? The Last time I finished a contract they only wanted the document from the Labour Dept. showing that I had returned my wok permit. But in order to get a new visa I had to run to the Labour dept and return the work permit, get the document, and then rush to immigration the same day with my visa application form along with my document from the Labour Dept. It had to be done on the same day.

Whether they will accept just the work permit cancellation depends upon the immigration office you have to go to.

The majority will want the termination letter showing the date your job ended This to keep people from staying in the country for a period of time before canceling the extension. You can go to immigration a few days before the termination date to have the cancellation done.

Thanks for your comment. But if I am applying for a new visa (well, a retirement extension) the last day of work and give them my work permit document along with the TM application it wouldn't really matter if I had a letter from my employer. Anyway, I am going to ask our company secretary to type the letter just in case.

Thanks for your comment. But if I am applying for a new visa (well, a retirement extension) the last day of work and give them my work permit document along with the TM application it wouldn't really matter if I had a letter from my employer. Anyway, I am going to ask our company secretary to type the letter just in case.

You might want to check with your immigration office to find out if they will change the reason for your extension to retirement from working. Many will no longer do it. They changed their policy for doing it last year.

You may have to go out for a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over.

I'll be doing the retirement extension at Jomthien. I went to Jomthien Immigration last week and explained that my employer is terminating my contract at the end of the month, seven weeks before the official completion date. He seemed to think it would be no problem getting the retirement extension as long as I have proof that I have returned my work permit and that I have the minimum monthly income coming into Thailand from abroad. I will be using a letter from the US Embassy which states that I have more than the minimum monthly income requirements. I told him that I was married to a Thai and he suggested that I bring the original marriage certificate. He then asked me how much money I had in the bank in Thailand and I told him that I have over a million Baht but that the money is in joint accounts with my wife. He said it didn't mater but I should bring the bank books in just in case. He was a younger official and didn't seem too sure of himself. As I mentioned on another post, I did the retirement extension with the letter from the US Embassy and the TM 7 application and it was a dead easy. No questions asked. I m hoping that, in a worse case scenario where they don't approve my retirement extension request, I might be able to get some type of visa based on my marriage certificate and some money in the bank. Any suggestions? Thanks for commenting on my posts.

If they will not do the change your only choice will be to go out for a non-o visa or do a border hop for a visa exempt entry and do a conversion to a non immigrant visa. The conversion will require 2 trips to immigration.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. Your wife would need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate, copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

You mean I could do a quick border hop, get a visa exempt entry and then convert it to a non immigrant visa without leaving Thailand? You also mentioned that I might have to go out on a single entry non-o visa based on being over 50. Could you elaborate on what you mean by that and what that kind of visa that entails.

I am going to Jomthien Immigration again to see if i can get some clarification regarding the retirement visa and other options. I'm hoping that I don't find out at the very last minute that I have to leave the country. Thanks again for your info.

Doing the border hop for a visa exempt is one option. You will need all the same paper work and financial proof to apply for the non immigrant visa.as need for an extension based upon retirement. You must also have at least15 days remaining on your entry to do the application.

You could get a single entry non-o visa in Vientiane. You would just need your passport to prove your age and your income affidavit to prove your 65k baht income. You would show them the original affidavit and attach a copy to your application so you can use it when you apply for the extension.

If they told you no at the last minute you could apply for the 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife. The sort out the visa side of things.