Vietnam Visa Waiver proposed

And the Swiss tongue.png ?

VOA is required at a cost (45 USD?, photo required) bah.gif

Laos lets me in on visa excempt free of cost.

A country that wants to attract tourism has to open up.

Just today I saw a report in an Aussie media stating like "Vietnam is the new Thailand",

No its not (yet).

I'm lucky enough to possess both Swiss and Aussie citizenship. If I'm flying in to Vietnam, I can use my Aussie passport while my Swiss passport can be used to avail myself of the free entry into Laos, something I've taken advantage of perhaps 20 times using my Swiss passport due to the visa waiver, which began in 2011 I believe.

Vietnam will open up more and more, but it has a lot of communist officials who still think the old way on a number of issues, thus hindering progress. For example, the Vietnamese who drive on the right (unlike Thailand) believe that RHD vehicles (from countries such as Thailand and Malaysia) are dangerous and refuse to allow them to use their highways even for a short tourism or business trip. So Thais can't drive to Vietnam in their own cars. On the other hand, Thailand has no problem with LHD vehicles and allows them in, in order to facilitate tourism.

And yes, Vietnam is in some ways like the new Thailand or at least has the potential to become the new Thailand. Having said that, I'm not sure if that's a good thing though. Thailand has it's faults and Vietnam should develop it's own version of tourism. The country does however have nearly everything that Thailand has: beaches, mountains, jungles, eco-tourism and agro-tourism, bustling cities, night markets, floating markets (in the Mekong delta vs. the Khlongs of Thailand), colorful hill tribe minorities etc.

Infrastructure, though still poor is rapidly improving with the recent opening of new expressways (though relatively short) near Ho Chi Minh City and between Hanoi and the Chinese border town of Lao Cai. A planned high speed rail link is also about to come to fruition, while I'd much rather trust the current Vietnamese rail system (though slow) to the unreliable Thai one, which derails every other week.

Vietnam extends visa free list

HANOI, 10 June 2015: The Vietnamese government has given the green light to several proposals, including waiving visas for more nations, to revive the country’s troubled tourism industry.

Travel arrivals have been in decline since 2014 and while there are signs of recovery in specific markets, the trend worries tourism executives who claim the government is not doing enough to streamline entry procedures.

Tuoi Tre News reported that the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) and the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism have repeatedly called on the government to enact measures to ‘save’ the tourism industry, which has reported declining tourist arrival numbers for 12 months in a row, since May 2014.

Prime Minister, Nguyen Tan Dun,g approved some proposals from the two agencies during a government meeting, late last month, raising hopes that Vietnam would reverse the negative trend.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism has proposed scrapping visas for countries that are Vietnam’s key tourism markets, or those it has established strategic agreements on trade and tourism.

The countries that are likely to enjoy visa-free travel are the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

An arbitrary small list. Not for me.

Vietnam currently offers visa-free travel to seven countries; Japan, South Korea, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia. Also under ASEAN’s open doors policy citizens of Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and the Philippines all enjoy visa-free stay.

So this makes more sense, but still excluding some of Europes wealthiest countries makes no sense to me.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

They revamped the business visa requirement on January 1st so this will be a timely rework of the tourist entries; all to the good.

The Party conference next year will be interesting as most of the sitting politburo are beyond retirement age. Many Vietnamese are hoping for new, younger, dynamic and more entrepreneurial leadership which is a possibility. Unfortunately, not the same can be expected from Laos when they reshuffle the cards in the big house at the same time next year. It is thought that only the siblings of the incumbents will get the seats and it will be more of the same. The few independents with realistic ideas for better foreign relations, opening up to foreign trade and easing immigration policy will be further marginalized.

• Like 2

From the article:

“Tourists from these countries will be given a 15-day stay over a five-year period,” VNAT chief Nguyen Anh Tuan said.

WOW!!!!

That is really loosening up the visa regulations!!!

And they are moving very fast on this..

The visa waivers for the first group of countries are expected to take effect, 1 July for countries in Europe and for Australia, New Zealand and Canada, 1 July, next year.

Pathetic.

• Like 1

And the Swiss tongue.png ?

VOA is required at a cost (45 USD?, photo required) bah.gif

Laos lets me in on visa excempt free of cost.

A country that wants to attract tourism has to open up.

Just today I saw a report in an Aussie media stating like "Vietnam is the new Thailand",

No its not (yet).

I hope not. Why should Vietnam learn how to litter or how to foul up a cup of coffee?

Having visited Vietnam a few times in recent years I have noticed each time an improvement and now it is a quite delightful place and so much cleaner than its neighbours.

Far less hassle and you don't get the feeling of 'give us all your money and then go away', as is prevalent elsewhere.

The current visa game is easy enough but does cost $45 plus the cost of the approval letter ($17) and a whole page of the passport. Getting extensions is fuss free.

The new idea can only help their tourism which already has had a big boost owing to the shenanigans going on in Thailand. Good luck to them

• Like 2

Can someone clarify what exactly is meant by "visa free".

Does it mean no fee to pay for the various types of visa. Surely it does not mean you do not need a visa at all. There must still be different types of visas with different conditions.

I assume it means you can get a visa on arrival at no cost. It's very ambiguous to call it visa free.

Nope - went to Viet Nam twice last year. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. Both were simply places where it's "give me money, GIVE ME MONEY,... " (More so than in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos!) As a farang, I was only seen as an ATM machine and I was entirely unsuccessful at having an exchange other than a "commercial transaction." I left Hanoi thinking I have no desire to return to Viet Nam.

Visa free refers to the fact you don't need to get a visa before you arrive.......it means entry free of a visa. Thailand has the same system for 30 day entry. Of course there is no charge for the entry.

Visa on arrival is where you pay money when you enter the country and get a number of days entry, but you dont have to get a visa before you arrive

Nope - went to Viet Nam twice last year. Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. Both were simply places where it's "give me money, GIVE ME MONEY,... " (More so than in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos!) As a farang, I was only seen as an ATM machine and I was entirely unsuccessful at having an exchange other than a "commercial transaction." I left Hanoi thinking I have no desire to return to Viet Nam.

Go to the southern parts...you will change your mind... Away from tourist hangouts

They will have to employ more staff at the Thai Embassies in Vietnam, as it will be added to the list of countries for "easy" visa runs by thousands of visa running foreigners living in Thailand.

This should also reduce the queues at other meighbouring country embassies.

The increased tourism from Thai visa runners alone will be worth it, not to mention the many tourists this move will steal off Thailand for their 2 week holiday.

Why do they like to issue free visas for german people but not for austrians?
I guess because they do not know the name austria and they think that austria is already included in the list of free visa countries: Austrlaia!

An arbitrary small list. Not for me.

Vietnam currently offers visa-free travel to seven countries; Japan, South Korea, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia. Also under ASEAN’s open doors policy citizens of Brunei, Myanmar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and the Philippines all enjoy visa-free stay.

So this makes more sense, but still excluding some of Europes wealthiest countries makes no sense to me.

It depends on those nations visa requirements for Vietnamese, many visa exemptions are based on both countries allowing visa free travel.

whistling.gif My U.S. passport has 4 Vietnamese tourist visas I received at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok.

No more problem than getting a similar Thai tourist visa in a country neighboring Thailand.

At least in HCMC (Saigon) a good 50 percent of the people are under 40, and therefore have no memory of any "American War". To them it is just old history

I found people in HCMC quite friendly and eager to talk to "Americans". I had a long conversation with a waiter in a restaurant whose dream was to go to America and become a chef there in a restaurant.

Also I met a middle-aged woman in Vung Tau who was the daughter of a South Vietnamese Navy sailor who had worked with the U.S. Navy sailors. she told me what it was like for her and her mother after 1975.

I haven't been to Hanoi, not sure about people there. In HCMC there is no real resentment at the U.S visitors.

All that is old history to most of those under 50 years of age.

When I was there the people the Vietnamese were angry at was the Chinese because of the Chinese claimed islands off shore of Vietnam.