Third-phase Thai reforms in pipeline

webfact

Third-phase reforms in pipeline
THE NATION

30262177-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AN OVERHAUL of the police is among several reform efforts yet to be carried out in the third stage of the government's road map, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has told a joint meeting of the Cabinet and the National Council for Peace and Order.

He instructed concerned agencies to wrap up the work of the road map's third stage so the work can be transferred to the next government.

The other uncompleted areas of reform are the South, energy, basic infrastructure development, strengthening farmers and communities, education and teaching, natural resource rehabilitation and waste management, the Asean road map and the bureaucracy.

The prime minister said the government had completed reform under the first stage of the road map.

Those areas include restoring peace and order in the country, social reforms such as regulating street vendors, motorcycle taxis and gambling dens, cracking down on forest encroachments and corruption and regulating migrant workers.

Major problems the government said had been solved during the second stage of the road map include human trafficking, forest encroachment, solving the economic slowdown with economic stimulus measures, developing the digital economy and dual rail tracks, building roads, improving the air quality and water transport, and boosting tourism.

On the law reform, it said about 71 new laws had been announced in the Royal Gazette, 13 laws were waiting royal endorsement and 107 laws had been presented to the National Legislative Assembly for deliberation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Third-phase-reforms-in-pipeline-30262177.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-12

The other uncompleted areas of reform are the South, energy, basic infrastructure development, strengthening farmers and communities, education and teaching, natural resource rehabilitation and waste management, the Asean road map and the bureaucracy.

So basically the most important issues are still to solve, but nobody knows how. Isn't teaching part of education? But the lottery plan works. ( For now, at least, who knows how long?)

They had limited success in some areas, like cleaning beaches, clearing some vendors, but again it all seems very selective.

The overriding issue is that due to the current situation they are able through fear to get these people to play ball, however the underlying issues which allows for these people to be there in the first place have not been dealt with. There is simply no respect for the law enforcement, and as soon as they disappear it will just straight away revert to what it was. On Pattaya beach, the vendors have not even removed their stuff, they have simply padlocked in the normal area waiting to be able to return.

Unless they try and deal with the larger underlying issues of police and judiciary not enforcing the law, and people in all departments being willing to turn a blind eye if they are paid then the issue will never go away, and these reforms will always just be window dressing.

This is just my personal opinion; I'm not wanting anyone to feel the way I do but I just want to express my opinion. Personally, I think that General Prayut should stay on as PM and head of the NCPO, with his current authority/powers, for at least another two years (five years shouldn't bother anyone who knows Thai history) and get the bulk of the reform done himself as few people have the ability to push agendas better than Prayut. He seems, so far, a very effective leader and an honest player. He's begun with the easier stuff first to 'test his wings' and improve his game and has now worked himself up to what I consider (other than the reform of his too-many-generals army) the most difficult challenge facing any world leader, i.e. reforming the RTP. I'm sure he's had army planning 'think tanks' give him options how to take back the country so democracy can thrive. I think that with his power and military planning, he can beat the police (a politician will always make a deal with the police; that's why they're so crooked now); I just hope they can avoid it becoming ugly.

Thailand has such a limited experience with democracy that, in its current form, it is easily manipulated/perverted by one set of 'haves' or another set of 'haves' so "Thai Style Democracy" it is not worth having. Singapore has grown into a powerhouse with strong right-minded, futurists in charge. For all his faults (all minor) Prayut is proving to be a pretty sharp cookie and has avoided public embarrassment better than most of the leaders of the 'advanced' countries. I think he's done a great job with phases one and two. He's the best Thai leader since Prem Tinsulananda. This is just my personal opinion and I don't see much chance it will change.

This is just my personal opinion; I'm not wanting anyone to feel the way I do but I just want to express my opinion. Personally, I think that General Prayut should stay on as PM and head of the NCPO, with his current authority/powers, for at least another two years (five years shouldn't bother anyone who knows Thai history) and get the bulk of the reform done himself as few people have the ability to push agendas better than Prayut. He seems, so far, a very effective leader and an honest player. He's begun with the easier stuff first to 'test his wings' and improve his game and has now worked himself up to what I consider (other than the reform of his too-many-generals army) the most difficult challenge facing any world leader, i.e. reforming the RTP. I'm sure he's had army planning 'think tanks' give him options how to take back the country so democracy can thrive. I think that with his power and military planning, he can beat the police (a politician will always make a deal with the police; that's why they're so crooked now); I just hope they can avoid it becoming ugly.

Thailand has such a limited experience with democracy that, in its current form, it is easily manipulated/perverted by one set of 'haves' or another set of 'haves' so "Thai Style Democracy" it is not worth having. Singapore has grown into a powerhouse with strong right-minded, futurists in charge. For all his faults (all minor) Prayut is proving to be a pretty sharp cookie and has avoided public embarrassment better than most of the leaders of the 'advanced' countries. I think he's done a great job with phases one and two. He's the best Thai leader since Prem Tinsulananda. This is just my personal opinion and I don't see much chance it will change.

Yes, the army think tank (that well known Thai thing with a proven track record of shrewd thinking) will no doubt see a lot of potential for them in reform of the police.....

You do realise the military are probably as corrupt as the police, the whole system is exactly the same as the police?..........

Yes, the army think tank (that well known Thai thing with a proven track record of shrewd thinking) will no doubt see a lot of potential for them in reform of the police.....

You do realise the military are probably as corrupt as the police, the whole system is exactly the same as the police?..........

With the army corruption, the profits are more focused at the top because the control of the individual soldier is so tight he doesn't get a share. With the police, the corrupt ones are at every level from beat police to generals. Police don't live in barracks and are not accountable for their whereabouts which leaves them more free to participate in their own 'businesses'. As to which is more corrupt; you are either corrupt or not corrupt. IMO, they both are. Most of the money coming to the RTA that is non-government is from the legal concessions of the Airports and running the Customs Department. You don't have a creative mind if you don't see the possibilities of that kind of influence and a cadre of underling who are just 'following orders'. Money stays at the top.

You have to admit that getting rid ad hoc roadblocks, that are put up just to fleece 'unlucky' drivers, would be a good thing. Also, holding police accountable for keeping accidents down in their sector and catching the burglars, murderers, rapists, and other low-lifes that plague any big city, will keep them closer to 'the straight and narrow path'.

By changing the way the officer structure is arraigned, there will be no incentive for an officer to condone illegal action by members of his department. By concentrating the power/money at the very top, you stop the local cop from being both a cop and a criminal at the same time.

It will be up hill and a long, tedious struggle but it is 5-8% possible to reform the RTA. It will take sustained pressure and lots of prosecutions.

Let me ask you a serious question: Would you rather the Royal Thai Police reform the Royal Thai Army first or are you OK that Prayut is going to reform the Royal Thai Police first?

My goodness! Have you been sniffing the wife's nail varnish remover?

With the army corruption, the profits are more focused at the top because the control of the individual soldier is so tight he doesn't get a share. With the police, the corrupt ones are at every level from beat police to generals. Police don't live in barracks and are not accountable for their whereabouts which leaves them more free to participate in their own 'businesses'. As to which is more corrupt; you are either corrupt or not corrupt. IMO, they both are. Most of the money coming to the RTA that is non-government is from the legal concessions of the Airports and running the Customs Department. You don't have a creative mind if you don't see the possibilities of that kind of influence and a cadre of underling who are just 'following orders'. Money stays at the top.

You have to admit that getting rid ad hoc roadblocks, that are put up just to fleece 'unlucky' drivers, would be a good thing. Also, holding police accountable for keeping accidents down in their sector and catching the burglars, murderers, rapists, and other low-lifes that plague any big city, will keep them closer to 'the straight and narrow path'.

By changing the way the officer structure is arraigned, there will be no incentive for an officer to condone illegal action by members of his department. By concentrating the power/money at the very top, you stop the local cop from being both a cop and a criminal at the same time.

It will be up hill and a long, tedious struggle but it is 5-8% possible to reform the RTA. It will take sustained pressure and lots of prosecutions.

Let me ask you a serious question: Would you rather the Royal Thai Police reform the Royal Thai Army first or are you OK that Prayut is going to reform the Royal Thai Police first?

I am happy for the RTP to be reformed, but i don't agree it should be done with a notoriously corrupt force it is just asking for trouble and will only lead to pockets being changed. There will be no reform of the army, it is ridiculous to even suggest they would do anything to reform themselves.

Well if they are getting rid of ad hoc road blocks they are not doing a good job, as I was stopped 3 times last week driving from BKK to Surathani, granted i was only fined once.

Sorry everyone, must have missed something, what the hell were phases 1 and 2. Surely not cleaning up beaches, taking vendors off the streets etc., etc. And what reforms have been made in education????? Cops still take bribes, and I am 100% sure that the so called elite still have their scams going, after all they are making all these so called reforms. They can't possibly know of any success anything might have anyway as the media is still told what they can publish and public opinion, (better known as free speech, one of the fundamentals of any democracy), is banned.

Stage 1 lottery

Stage 2 Dek Van

Stage 3 Everything they said they would do but didnt in the last year.

Stage 4 Excuses for not doing stage 3 and 2 more years to do it.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64

Regulating street vendors?" Did this include the elimination of counterfeit goods an intellectual property rampant in Thailand?

I think some somchai selling a Lolex for 1000 Baht is the smallest of Thailands problems....actually I don't see any problem.

I am happy for the RTP to be reformed, but i don't agree it should be done with a notoriously corrupt force it is just asking for trouble and will only lead to pockets being changed. There will be no reform of the army, it is ridiculous to even suggest they would do anything to reform themselves.

Well if they are getting rid of ad hoc road blocks they are not doing a good job, as I was stopped 3 times last week driving from BKK to Surathani, granted i was only fined once.

You and I both know those road blocks are not for public safety. The Junta haven't begun Phase Three which includes reforming the police (who else would/could reform them?) so don't expect any changes just yet. They are just in the announcing phase, they will have to go through the publicity phase and several more phases before any real action is taken. I'm sure it will be methodical and subtle so as not to ruffle too many feathers at a time. The RTP have been put on notice to change their ways but they don't know what strategy Prayut is going to use so they don't know how to defend themselves. Also, the general has Article 44 at his disposal and the RTP has no defense against that. I'm laying in extra supplies of popcorn to watch this fight.

It would take a heart of stone not to laugh at the "reforms' said to be achieved under Phase 1.

Yeah, but my favorite joke was what followed:

"Major problems the government said had been solved during the second stage of the road map include human trafficking, forest encroachment, solving the economic slowdown with economic stimulus measures, developing the digital economy and dual rail tracks, building roads, improving the air quality and water transport, and boosting tourism."

I especially liked "improving air quality". Are they taking credit for the rain?

So many of you focus on 'reform' whatever that actually means, of RTP. In reality thats almost pointless until you reform the judicial system that in a real system dispenses justice. Until that thorny issue is resolved, and I have grave doubts it will be since too many of the judiciary are themselves up to their necks in the all pervasive corruption that bedevils this country, reforming your local cop earning ฿15K/Month ain't going to achieve anything.

I read the comments 'starting with the easy stuff first to test his wings', trouble is so much easier for reforms to target the ones with no voice, but the real structural issues lie deep in the establishment and they are all of the same 'clan'.

So dream on playmates if you really think this is any different that we have all experienced for the past 3 coups that I've witnessed here

Human trafficking,forest encroachment,economic slowdown, dual rail tracks, improved air quality, water transport. None of these problems have been solved as stated in the article.

Edited by ldiablo

"The other uncompleted areas of reform are the South, energy, basic infrastructure development, strengthening farmers and communities, education and teaching, natural resource rehabilitation and waste management, the Asean road map and the bureaucracy."

so only a few trivial things left to tackle....... at least the important things are almost done.

If the government actually said this, they seem to lack basic political skills.

If the journalist wrote this, the government should be hugely embarrassed...

Edited by bangon04

If the government actually said this, they seem to lack basic political skills.

If the journalist wrote this, the government should be hugely embarrassed...

Trouble is, you are making the assumption that there are real investigative journalists in Thailand. Any journalist with a modicum of intelligence understands the rules of the game. Tow the line, don't make any provocative statements, become a mouthpiece of the regime du jour.

Step outside that, and defamation and LM are in your immediate future

My goodness! Have you been sniffing the wife's nail varnish remover?

Let's see, you are a member for 8 years and only 500 posts yet you awaken to insult me. Your post count should be in the thousands if this is an example of what you consider to be a well thought out response to the OP.

I smell troll tang.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so far only change I have noticed no major protests . The cab drivers still refuse rides hapened so far at least 5 times past week with myself. So I started avoiding them altogether unless no choice. I will say streets sidewalks a bit clearer. But rest remains same same.now with increase in tourism I have not seen more . On the military side I have seen an abudent of generals it almost like they get there rank and medals from a Cracker Jacks box. Now having served in the miltary I had only 6 to 7 ribbons myself. 2 of those just for keeping nose clean for 2 years others paid for in blood..