Caught in the act; advise on wifi surveillance cameras in Pattaya

MZurf

In my moo baan I have a problem with brainless dog owners who let their dogs run around in the soi, and of course they cr@p everywhere. One of their favorite "toilets" is right outside my gate so on a regular basis I step in it.

What I want is a couple of cameras that I can hook up to my wifi so that I can identify the culprits, or rather their owners.

I don't want to spend a fortune so any suggestions as to what to buy and where to buy it?

Tukom is advertising 900 baht for the standard Wi-Fi cameras was there today. They should have motion sensor, but range and lighting requirements could be an issue. Tukom is Pattaya Tai end of Buhkao.

If I bought a motion sensor, I'd connect to something more suitable - an ultrasonic dog blaster.

I had done the same, years back - for cats, and it worked out great. A couple of 12v powered sensors from an old alarm system, each pointed in varied directions, covered various entrance angles.

Repelling the pests like this may cause less problems than confrontation with an angry thai owner.

Dogs hate the smell of citronella. It is used I anti-bark collars and gives them a quick burst every yip.

Maybe dousing your entrance with some citronella mixed with water will ward them off. As you know, dogs like to have a sniff before they take the strain.

In this country it won't do you any good to "catch the culprit". You won't get through to the owner and you may actually make a dangerous enemy.

As the poster above suggested. Research different chemicals or powers such as some kind of chili powder you can pour or spread around so they quickly learn to find another place to do their thing.

http://pets.thenest.com/smells-repel-dogs-6274.html

Edited by Rimmer

They're attracted to the smell of previous deposits.

Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Oil: Make up a solution of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil and spray it around.. Dogs detest this smell, and this could be enough to keep the dogs away.

do not make enemies with your neighbors , instead buy CHILI POWDER and spread along the front of your house

the dogs will sneeze and hate to come back . also leave previous droppings for a couple of days but saturate with

strong smelling eucalyptus oil plus chili powder, cheaper than buying cameras.

the dog owners usually don't give a hoot where their pooch crap . repeat every week until the dogs are

conditioned to " hate " your area . another trick is leaving " food " that they like , so they will not crap there.

but this is more expensive solution - but you get friends for life guarding your premises .

Where a security camera is concerned, if you have an old android phone sitting around, you can install an app called Salient Eye that includes motion detection and uploading photographs to the cloud.

As others have said, a clean up and masking scents, perhaps coupled with an irritant work well.

Better still, make friends with the dogs and relax more.

Some good advice received but this isn't. I hardly see how making friends with the dogs will prevent them from crapping outside my gate and for me to step in it.

About your opening piece, if you did fix up a camera, and find out the dog or dogs responsible, you are going to approach the owners?

What good do you think that is going to do? They are not going to bother, and suppose someone does the dogs any harm, ie poisoning,

who do you think is going to get the blame?

About your opening piece, if you did fix up a camera, and find out the dog or dogs responsible, you are going to approach the owners?

What good do you think that is going to do? They are not going to bother, and suppose someone does the dogs any harm, ie poisoning,

I wasn't planning on approaching any of the owners. I've lived more than two decades in Thailand so am not "fresh off the boat". Luckily the moo baan I live in is quite well managed so was planning on trying to let them sort it out.

But I will definitively try the chili powder and vinegar option as well.

I wasn't planning on approaching any of the owners. I've lived more than two decades in Thailand so am not "fresh off the boat". Luckily the moo baan I live in is quite well managed so was planning on trying to let them sort it out.

That's a good idea, good luck with it.

Not to be an ass, but you lived here for 2 decades and yet do not know where to buy camera's?

And do not have access to Google?

Love some posters with their vivid imagination and some fantasy world

I used to get dog crap deposited outside my gate every other day. Most of the neighbours in our soi are responsible dog owners and take them for walks, so wouldn't let them crap outside anyone's gate.

I kept a late vigilance one week to find the culprit. Sure enough about 11pm the neighbour across the road would let his dog out and wait at the gate while it crapped somewhere in the soi. His dog was the culprit, so on the third occasion I watched his dog crap in front of my gate from the window, I immediately went out with a scooper, walked across and dumped it over his gate onto his pathway while he was still at his door.

I said nothing, just smiled. It's never happened again.

Not to be an ass, but you lived here for 2 decades and yet do not know where to buy camera's?

And do not have access to Google?

Love some posters with their vivid imagination and some fantasy world

I know of several places to buy cameras, but since (unlike some posters) I'm not all-knowing I was asking to see if there are any places I don't know about that might have a special deal at the moment

I do have access to Google but contrary to popular belief it is not able to answer all questions.

It's great that I have been able to bring some love into your life but if you don't have anything to contribute to the thread please don't post.

Best solution , mix some vinegar and Eucalyptus oil in a bucket then buy a spray bottle and douse the front gate area. You'll have no more dogs. also just fill a couple of plastic bottles with water and leave laying on the ground ... dogs don't like them for some reason.

It's a lot cheaper than the camera idea and even if you know the culprit and he goes missing .... the owner may blame you ...

Just spray ...

dont confront dog owners with logic

the owners and the dogs do whatever and whenever they want

there is no consideration and thats why the dogs a free to roam the streets crapping, barking, rooting, biting people

if the owners were considerate then they would be trained to take the dogs for a walk, pick up the crap after the dog does it, have the dogs fixed so that they dont exponentially breed

there is always a well meaning dog feeder in every village, they feel all warm and fuzzy after looking after the dogs - then the dogs are someone elses problem - nice - I mean these guys drive around in cars and put water and dog food out for many kilometers.

I once confronted a dog feeder as there were over 20 dogs on this corner and one attacked a kid. He simply replied "whats wrong dont you like dogs."

Cant argue with logic like that can you?

post-6522-0-44756800-1434169679_thumb.jp

Best solution , mix some vinegar and Eucalyptus oil in a bucket then buy a spray bottle and douse the front gate area. You'll have no more dogs. also just fill a couple of plastic bottles with water and leave laying on the ground ... dogs don't like them for some reason.

It's a lot cheaper than the camera idea and even if you know the culprit and he goes missing .... the owner may blame you ...

Just spray ...

I've always wondered why some people put plastic bottles filled with water near their car's tyres. I mean, I know it's supposed to keep the dogs away but can't for the life of me figure out how??

Just spray ...

I've always wondered why some people put plastic bottles filled with water near their car's tyres. I mean, I know it's supposed to keep the dogs away but can't for the life of me figure out how??

There are several houses around our moo bahn that have the bottles along their house. Apparently the concept has been around since the '70s, even in western countries, but no firm explanation of why or even if they work.

"Explanations" for it include: (1) dogs won't foul their own drinking water; (2) they get spooked seeing their reflections and/or the glitter of the water; (3) it ain't the water, it's the bottles — the water just keeps the jugs from blowing over; (4) you have to put ammonia or mothballs in the water — the smell is what repels the dogs.

With the possible exception of (4), all are unlikely. As one of Brunvand's correspondents notes: "I was not completely convinced of the efficacy of such a system [upon first hearing of it]. My skepticism proved justified when, a block later, my dog backed directly onto one of the plastic bottles and left one large turd delicately balanced on top of it." Next case.

Cecil Adams

Straightdope

In this country it won't do you any good to "catch the culprit". You won't get through to the owner and you may actually make a dangerous enemy.

As the poster above suggested. Research different chemicals or powers such as some kind of chili powder you can pour or spread around so they quickly learn to find another place to do their thing.

http://pets.thenest.com/smells-repel-dogs-6274.html

In which country would that kind of confrontation be productive?

I used to get dog crap deposited outside my gate every other day. Most of the neighbours in our soi are responsible dog owners and take them for walks, so wouldn't let them crap outside anyone's gate.

I kept a late vigilance one week to find the culprit. Sure enough about 11pm the neighbour across the road would let his dog out and wait at the gate while it crapped somewhere in the soi. His dog was the culprit, so on the third occasion I watched his dog crap in front of my gate from the window, I immediately went out with a scooper, walked across and dumped it over his gate onto his pathway while he was still at his door.

I said nothing, just smiled. It's never happened again.

And what if your neighbours were Chuck Norris or Saenchai?