Another crackdown on Pretties

heybruce

If a business depends on the magnificently mis-named 'pretties', it cannot be much of a place ...

Let me ask you this. If there are two bars side by side and all things being equal about them but one had pretties serving and the other one did not which one would you think punters would prefer to enter? smile.png

I would think the bar without the pretties, because foreigners like the ladies that can be bar fined.

Perhaps the more sensible foreigner would like to try their luck with a lady that will not accept a bar fine?

You mean sensible as in wasting their time?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave the beer pretties alone!!! Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only no fun place and I hate that!

My vote goes to Leo

" ... Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only ... " Totally ludicrous comment.

You hate it ? I'm happy with it.

I take it you know the whereabouts of the airports, and the several land borders.

Dear Sir,

I have no problem with folks debating wether Thailand should be more law-abiding, less crazy, more modernized, less hedonistic, etc.

BUT any may who says he likes communism should immediately pack his bags, move his sorry existence out of the free world, and join a communist regime for real. You don't deserve the freedom you would so cavalierly trade for a favor from your beloved regime.

Leave the beer pretties alone!!! Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only no fun place and I hate that!

My vote goes to Leo

" ... Thailand is slowly becoming a boring totalitarian communist rules only ... " Totally ludicrous comment.

I take it you know the whereabouts of the airports, and the several land borders.

Dear Sir,

I have no problem with folks debating wether Thailand should be more law-abiding, less crazy, more modernized, less hedonistic, etc.

BUT any may who says he likes communism should immediately pack his bags, move his sorry existence out of the free world, and join a communist regime for real. You don't deserve the freedom you would so cavalierly trade for a favor from your beloved regime.

Believe "communism" is great if you are top dog. Somewhat similar to democracy.

Ah the bluenoses at work and in power. Live in morbid fear that someone, somewhere might be enjoying life. And see it as duty to put a stop to that.

Fortunately what a minority consider fun can be unlawful. Hate to think what could go on on the basis of "I am just enjoying life".

Can I suggest what I think is a very reasonable compromise?

Only allow 'pretties' if the establishment uses it's delightfully-looking resident Mamasan and her similarly aged friends?

I think you're confused. With the exception of the Chiang Mai Housewives Club, where the ladies aren't pretty, I know of no bar-fine places or bars with Mamasans in the Nimmanhamin area.

The OP is about the pretty ladies hired to serve beer, look good, and nothing else. Some of us think beer tastes better when it is served by a pretty lady with a beautiful smile.

Can I suggest what I think is a very reasonable compromise?

Only allow 'pretties' if the establishment uses it's delightfully-looking resident Mamasan and her similarly aged friends?

I think you're confused. With the exception of the Chiang Mai Housewives Club, where the ladies aren't pretty, I know of no bar-fine places or bars with Mamasans in the Nimmanhamin area.

The OP is about the pretty ladies hired to serve beer, look good, and nothing else. Some of us think beer tastes better when it is served by a pretty lady with a beautiful smile.

Suppose everything tastes better with cleavage. Hooters may be a good example.

If i wasn't so cynical and suspected the BIB is interested in whatever they do best then i would suspect that somebody has associated the promotion of alcohol with the incidence of deaths and injuries on the roads .

Nah .... stupid idea........ interfering with the free flow of commerce and money changing hands.

I don't remember when it was, exactly, probably the early '90s, there was an article in the Bangkok Post that the current government had set the excise tax on alcohol in such a way that it was quite a lot cheaper to get the same amount of alcohol by drinking liquor than by drinking beer. Somebody on the tax board had decided this would maximize revenue because people drank a lot more beer than liquor. The result was that the retail price of beer was driven up, so people started drinking liquor instead of beer. Liquor sales soared, beer sales dropped into the basement. I'm sure that was good for the traffic statistics.

If you know of some way to actually persuade people to drink less, let's hear it. Believe me, hiding brand names isn't going to do it. Having pretty girls wearing a costume with logos on it doesn't really "entice" people to come drink. They don't need any enticing, so removing the pretty girls doesn't remove the enticement.

If a business depends on the magnificently mis-named 'pretties', it cannot be much of a place ...

Let me ask you this. If there are two bars side by side and all things being equal about them but one had pretties serving and the other one did not which one would you think punters would prefer to enter? smile.png

If there are 2 bars side by side and one has pretties and charges 10 baht more which would you choose? 20 baht?

Depends. Are the customers lonely old men who rarely think past their dick?

If there are 2 bars side by side and one has pretties and charges 10 baht more which would you choose? 20 baht?

I would choose the bar with the pretties, and drink less :D

I've never noticed a price difference between places with pretties and those without. At one time Dayli had the best beer promotion I knew of around Nimmanhamin (they may still have it, I haven't been there for a while) and they also had pretties.

But to answer your hypothetical, if the girls are pretty enough, I'll happily pay a premium. As I've often said about Hooters, the food and the beer selection isn't that great, but I enjoy the ambiance.

Have learnt something new today- was not sure that pretties was a real word- think it might be one of those new things- like selfie.

Anyway - the girls in their Tiger or Chang outfits seem to have disappeared in most restaurants- of course I would have much preferred a hunky young man flogging me beer.

But must admit always admired how the girls managed to get themselves into the ten square inches of work outfits that the sponsors provided .

I rather miss them.

Yes Pretties is a common word spoken by Thais in reference to pretty girls mainly at promotional events.

At the last Motor Show in Bangkok "Pretties" were warned to cover up or go for on an "attitude adjustment" course.

At Motor Shows the Pretties are a major attraction. I mean competition between a Toyota Yaris and a gaggle of "Pretties" is a no brainer.

In a past life many of my students were "pretties" and amongst their peers they were much admired and revered.

This country has an amazing ability to concern itself with things that are not remotely important.What's next a "crackdown" on nurses for being attractive.

Have learnt something new today- was not sure that pretties was a real word- think it might be one of those new things- like selfie.

Anyway - the girls in their Tiger or Chang outfits seem to have disappeared in most restaurants- of course I would have much preferred a hunky young man flogging me beer.

But must admit always admired how the girls managed to get themselves into the ten square inches of work outfits that the sponsors provided .

I rather miss them.

Yes Pretties is a common word spoken by Thais in reference to pretty girls mainly at promotional events.

At the last Motor Show in Bangkok "Pretties" were warned to cover up or go for on an "attitude adjustment" course.

At Motor Shows the Pretties are a major attraction. I mean competition between a Toyota Yaris and a gaggle of "Pretties" is a no brainer.

In a past life many of my students were "pretties" and amongst their peers they were much admired and revered.

This country has an amazing ability to concern itself with things that are not remotely important.What's next a "crackdown" on nurses for being attractive.

Yes. Seems to mess up my blood pressure figures.

My vote goes to Leo

leo_beer_girls_calendar2010_1.jpg

Gosh! That was a clever statement. I supose you're happy because you believe in going to church, not eating our furry friends and only use sporks to avoid frightening your neighbours?

Go for it "Leo girls" don't let the wowsers frighten you, they die young anyway! (always in a hurry to get to heaven?) biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifgiggle.gifwai.gif

My vote goes to Leo

leo_beer_girls_calendar2010_1.jpg

I wouldn`t quite go that far, but this definitely pertains to Chiang Mai, the epitome of political correctness and decency.

The title of this thread should be; No Sex Please We`re From Chiang Mai. It`s not my cup of tea, or glass of beer, but I`m sure the puritans at heart love all the clamp downs.

was out round the popular bars in nimman to night never noticed any difference,girls still in there uniforms promoting there various beers and whiskeys,long may it remain,only thing ive noticed is there seems to be more thai men working as staff.some bars 90% most bars about40%.

It tastes horrible no matter what, but having it served by a pretty girl does go some way to make the experience bearable.

beer.png

Also: bar-fining? What's that?

(A pre-Facebook thing, perhaps?)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've never noticed a price difference between places with pretties and those without. At one time Dayli had the best beer promotion I knew of around Nimmanhamin (they may still have it, I haven't been there for a while) and they also had pretties.

But to answer your hypothetical, if the girls are pretty enough, I'll happily pay a premium. As I've often said about Hooters, the food and the beer selection isn't that great, but I enjoy the ambiance.

Bruce, if your talking about that place that every farang bar owner denied existed, because they sold beers for less than the farang bars were paying for them; the latest is 3 for 169...they did get a really nice big big screen behind the bar, in addition to the projection system, which is OK for outside. the 5 for 219 Leo they were doing as recently as March was legendary. My all time fave was 3 for 129 large Tigers, and of course, Ms. Bong in the matching dress.

It appears it was a short crackdown this time, as noted earlier everything was back to normal Sunday night--many bars with many pretties. The bars along soi 6 also seem to be back to their usual late closings, Tawan Daeng and Infinity were still going at 2 a.m.

Not only that but the bar owner does not have to pay the pretties. They are provided by the beer company as a reward for the bar buying a certain number of boxes of beer. At least that is what I was told by one bar owner.

Not only that but the bar owner does not have to pay the pretties. They are provided by the beer company as a reward for the bar buying a certain number of boxes of beer. At least that is what I was told by one bar owner.

How much beer do I have to buy to get my own pretty?biggrin.png

How much beer do I have to buy to get my own pretty?biggrin.png

I may not be remembering correctly but I think he said 10 boxes for 1 girl 1 night. He told me he would order 20 boxes of each kind of girl at a time so he would have good looking girls working for free on friday and saturday night. The rest of the week he would have his regular waitresses working.

What do those girls get paid, anyway? I would guess very little. Do they get tipped well? Or their bottoms pinched more?

Some of them seem to probably spend more on make-up than they could possibly take in in an evening.

Otherwise, speaking of pretties --- other than note that Thailand is clearly overloaded with them --- what about the ones at all the cosmetic counters. Do they really make a living ? Well, maybe they get free cosmetics.