Prayut introduces “Police i lert u” app but cautions against foul play

Lite Beer

Prayut introduces “Police i lert u” app but cautions against foul play

Screenshot_2015-06-13-18-13-30-wpcf_728x

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha last night introduced the police's emergency assistance mobile application to the people who need urgent police help or alert any crime saying it is a new channel to communicate instantly with the police.

But he warned of foul plays saying anyone tries to report false crime or incident could be easily traced and prosecuted.

The mobile application “Police i lert u” is a joint effort of the Metropolitan Police Bureau and a private developer to provide services to the people who are in trouble and need help, he said.

It is now available for downloading free of charge on both Android and IOS systems.

Gen Prayut said the application is also a supplementary service to enhance the existing Hotline 191 to be more efficient and with speed

He said users of the application need to register first to access to the service.

With only a single click of emergency service on the application loaded in the smartphones, police will arrive for help within 10 minutes, he said.

He said 5,000 patrol police stationed at 88 police stations throughout Bangkok will get the alert from the click simultaneously and within 10 minutes the police closet to the location where assistance was sought will arrive to help.

The fastest the police reach the scene, the severity of the crime could be eased or avoided, he said.

This could greatly help to reduce damage or spare life, he said.

But he also warned of false call or foul play as this could be traced easily by GPS tracking and those who make false call would be penalized.

Gen Prayut said at present up to 80% calls to Hotline 191 are false calls, and urged the people to use the application carefully.

The service will first be launched in Bangkok as a pilot project, and will later expand to cover major cities in the provinces, he added.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-introduces-police-i-lert-u-app-but-cautions-against-foul-play

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-13

The cops will take a customary payment for getting of their <deleted> and doing their jobs I presume?

In your dreams!!

Of course fast track service is more expensive..................coffee1.gif

5000 cops get the message, and then what? They call each other and decide who's closest?

You would think a dispatcher would get the call, or the app would be the dispatcher and only involve the cops who needed to go.

One thing you want to avoid in Thailand is starting a discussion about who should go do something, because either no one will go, or they all will go.

Would it not have been appropriate for the national police chief to introduce this or does the PM have to be involved in managing everything to prove he's in charge and grab anything that looks like favourable publicity ?

I've lost count of the news reports that start with the same words "Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha", can anyone help with a figure ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

5000 cops get the message, and then what? They call each other and decide who's closest?

I'd imagine it like in the States...someone gets pulled over (woah, wait! I know this is where the train of thought tends to end, but play it out in your mind!), gets a ticket and meanwhile there will have another 2-5 cops pulled up right behind the other, because you need that many for a speeding ticket. Could be a hardcore criminal ;p

The use of that app needs a bit more of clarification as to what "urgent" is. Somehow this would seem limited to getting robbed or something, as most every other case likely should prioritize an ambulance over the police. While I don't see a bumper to bumper as "urgent", it still needs to be taken care of.

Liking the idea as a whole, but would also like some month to month update to see how it's been working out and stuff...disregarding this being Thailand.

I really don't see too many people rushing to sign up with all their personal details simply to become " lerts"

I know 2 Lerts, seems a reasonably common moniker, in the far NE at least. I can only assume this is another case of the assumed vowel "uh" which pops up in sukool and suprite.

Would it not have been appropriate for the national police chief to introduce this or does the PM have to be involved in managing everything to prove he's in charge and grab anything that looks like favourable publicity ?

I've lost count of the news reports that start with the same words "Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha", can anyone help with a figure ?

Pretty much similar to the previous PM . Except that the current one is really in charge, and the previous one was clearly not.

Pretty much similar to the previous PM . Except that the current one is really in charge, and the previous one was clearly not.
I think she actually did all her own shopping, far too important to be left to others.

A 5 year old kid could think of something better, beggars belief, the country is in this guy,s hands

How so?

It is a good idea. The name of the app is a play on the commonly used in Thai language "i love u".

I am going to get the app.

A 5 year old kid could think of something better, beggars belief, the country is in this guy,s hands

You truly are the most bitter and twisted on this forum.

An initiative for the public to report crimes and receive a prompt response that has the potential to save lives and this is all you have to say.

Well a 5 year old didn't think of this mate. Neither did every single previous PM that Thailand had nor every police chief Thailand had nor any of the 68 million people living in Thailand. It was an initiative of this current government. It is being implemented by this current government. You simply hate that fact so much you come up with this pathetic comment that only highlights your complete and utter frustration that this government is being progressive where all previous governments fell short.

I am sure if the PM found the cure for cancer your comments would still be "A 5 year old could have done that"

Get over it mate, get on the reconciliation bandwagon and remember this initiative is to help Thai's and tourists and expats that are in trouble. I think any initiative to help people receive prompt police response is a positive initiative no matter who implements it.

I bet if the PTP thought of this you would offering praise and congratulations. You epitomise the PTP ethos of using the majority when it suits your agenda (elections 4 years ago) and tossing them aside when it doesn't.

Take a breath Bernard, relax and remember this.....Anything that is going to help you more is a good thing.

And going by your reasoning you didn't think of this so a 5 year old must be more intelligent than you if they could of thought of it?

Have great day my dear friend.

Edited by djjamie

Nice idea but when I ran this App through Pradeo's AuditMyApps it came up with a "Privacy" warning ... it sends Latitude, Longditude and Location information to the following ... http://ilerturest.cloudapp.net/v3_shoplomo/chat/sendmessage ... Shoplomo looks like a shopping site so the location information will probably be used to send you adverts of some description which is not really what you want from a "crime fighting" App is it!

Edited by Rimmer
Thumbnaile removed as per request

info from play store:

Version 2.0 can access:
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • access extra location provider commands
Phone
  • directly call phone numbers
Photos/Media/Files
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • read Google service configuration
  • full network access