Has crackdown come too late to save Thailand from Tier 3?

webfact

Has crackdown come too late to save Thailand from Tier 3?
SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- WHILE Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is quite confident increased measures introduced by his government over the past month to combat human trafficking could convince the United State to upgrade Thailand in its annual Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report this year, other officials and social workers are not so buoyant.

The US State Department is due to release its latest TIP report by the third week of this month. The report last year placed Thailand in the lowest category, Tier 3.

The military government has since updated Washington occasionally on measures it has introduced in a bid to solve the problem.

A progress report was submitted to the US in March while evaluations, a situation assessment and congressional testimonies on the issue took place in April.

The testimony of key people familiar with the issue suggested Thailand should stay in Tier 3 this year due to what was seen as insufficient moves implemented to combat and prevent modern-day slavery.

The recent discovery of forced labour on Thai fishing trawlers in Indonesia and discovery of mass graves in migrant camps along the Thai-Malaysia border has not helped the Kingdom's cause in its attempt to get an upgrade.

Observers advised the government to turn the crisis into an opportunity to change Thailand from a regional hub for human trafficking into a land of "zero tolerance" when it comes to the trading in human life.

As a result, the government launched a crackdown on trafficking syndicates. Dozens of suspects including senior officials in the Army were arrested while many others are wanted under arrest warrants.

Thailand also joined other Asean countries including Malaysia and Indonesia in formulating measures to provide humanitarian assistance to boat people from Bangladesh and Myanmar. The government held a special meeting of senior officials from 17 countries and international organisations last month to seek solutions to tackle the problem in the short, medium and long term.

The international community praised the efforts while the charge d’affaires of the US Embassy in Bangkok, W Patrick Murphy, expressed his satisfaction with the actions of Thailand via Twitter.

But senior officials at the Foreign Ministry remain concerned that these efforts might not be taken into consideration by the US as they may have come too late, as the evaluation period had passed.

Meanwhile, many social workers who have been in the field for a long time say the government's actions including the crackdown may have got the US' attention but failed to solve the complicated problem at its roots.

The State Department, in its TIP Report, places countries on one of three tiers based on government efforts to comply with the "minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking" found in Section 108 of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000.

"While Tier 1 is the highest ranking, it does not mean that a country has no human trafficking problem," according to a statement by the US Department.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Has-crackdown-come-too-late-to-save-Thailand-from--30262317.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-15

I assume the headline is rhetorical, if not the answer is a resounding YES.

So your resounding yes is based on the evaluation period passing before the positive changes were implemented? What is the evaluation period as it is not stated in this article? Maybe some of the changes to tackle the issue were implemented before the evaluation period finished? Going by your word "resounding" you seem to have an intimate knowledge of the timelines and can shed some light on the subject as this article does not go into much detail to allow me to say the word "resounding"

What makes you think the positive work that has been achieved by this government which was recognised by Patrick Murphy, would not have an impact on the final rating? Evaluation period again?

Do you not think they have done any positive work. They are after all the Junta so I assume you have ignored any positive work they did because you don't really care about the human trafficking issue, but more about denouncing anything the Junta do even if it is a step in the right direction.

So back to your "resounding"?

Edited by djjamie

The US should concern itself with its own problems in traffiicking before it calls other countries to task and stop trying to be big brother when its really just a distant cousin .

or

The US should concern itself with its own problems in <insert issue here> before it calls other countries to task and stop trying to be big brother when its really just a distant cousin .

The US should concern itself with its own problems in traffiicking before it calls other countries to task and stop trying to be big brother when its really just a distant cousin .

or

The US should concern itself with its own problems in <insert issue here> before it calls other countries to task and stop trying to be big brother when its really just a distant cousin .

Being a loyal citizen of the USA, I must protest these comments. Being an intelligent and rational citizen of the world, I cannot.

or

Being a loyal citizen of the USA, I must protest these comments. Being an intelligent and rational citizen of the world, I cannot.

Maybe so but the fact remains that Thailand did NOTHING until the US and EU warned of sanctions.

Please name another country that has the influence to address the trafficking problem with any credibility or economic clout. Negative rhetoric towards the USA serves no purpose other than to display one's prejudice in solving a serious situation.

The USA is not perfect...but then who among anyone is?

I think Thailand shouldn't care what USA wants.

But the trafficking should be fixed anyhow.

With almost no growth in Thailand exports that account for 70% of its GDP, the Junta should care about ANY country that might ban its products.

The Thai economy as it is now IMPLODING (Joshua Kurlantzick, March 25, 2015) and being "sucked into a whirlpool of deflation" (The Nation 2015-06-05). While the USA is not a major importer of Thai seafood, I am sure the Junta government will miss the $4 billion USD export revenues to the USA.

In fact the USA competes with Thailand on seafood exports. In 2014 the USA was the sixth largest supplier of fish and seafood products to the world market and China's second largest fish and seafood supplier after Russia. The USA would probably welcome the loss of Thai seafoods imports into the USA.

h90 posted

think Thailand shouldn't care what USA wants.

Who cares what the US thinks, except euro mouth breathers. If Thailand wants to keep exporting to the US in usual amounts then they have to clean up their act. If they don't want to FINE.

As the thai economy has been on a slow descent, no matter what the Nation claims, I believe they should be very concerned.

However by all means Thailand should do whatever it wants.

I think Thailand shouldn't care what USA wants.

With almost no growth in Thailand exports that account for 70% of its GDP, the Junta should care about ANY country that might ban its products.

The Thai economy as it is now IMPLODING (Joshua Kurlantzick, March 25, 2015) and being "sucked into a whirlpool of deflation" (The Nation 2015-06-05). While the USA is not a major importer of Thai seafood, I am sure the Junta government will miss the $4 billion USD export revenues to the USA.

In fact the USA competes with Thailand on seafood exports. In 2014 the USA was the sixth largest supplier of fish and seafood products to the world market and China's second largest fish and seafood supplier after Russia. The USA would probably welcome the loss of Thai seafoods imports into the USA.

We as industry supplier have a steady increase of orders since end of the demonstrations....not extreme fast but steady. As we sell parts to service production machines, it means the industrial production in Thailand is increasing. (Or we are so super that we take away big shares of our competitors which I strongly doubt).

That of course doesn't mean anything for tourism, food exports (with the huge amounts of rice rotting, there must be some problem on food exports), etc. But I am sure there is no imploding, there is at least some grow in Thailand. Surely between 2-4 % per year.

Metaphor of the day:

Your doctor has told you that you have Stage 4 Brain Cancer. It is very bad and has been there for years with all the signs and symptoms, but because it unreported for so long, it will be very difficult to cure. Not impossible, but extremely long and tenuous. Now, it may be a bit premature to declare yourself cancer free and cured after the first Chemo treatment.

h90 posted

Ok and also take responsibility and various unwanted actions by the world community at large. You wanna do "what ever you want"? Then don't bitch/cry when the civilized world say you will now reap what you sew.

Isn't there somewhere that Buddhism mentions cause/effect? Well what would most "good Thai Buddhists" know a/b what the Buddha ever said?

Junta and Thai elite are not interested in stopping modern-day slavery human trafficking who else would do their house keeping cleaning laundry Thais. Well done US for keeping Thailands record in human trafficking in the limelight its a good job someone is speaking for the downtrodden few.

Many of the TV posters who defend anything said about Thailand will not like it but the truth often hurts. Yes it is too late and the sooner Thailand starts forgetting Thai time and realizing when the world says 6 months, it means 6 months.

So the answer I believe is yes, it is too late which is a shame but the 'Mai Bpen rai' attitude will not have a positive impact on the worlds political front, especially when serious action is required.

h90 posted

Ok and also take responsibility and various unwanted actions by the world community at large. You wanna do "what ever you want"? Then don't bitch/cry when the civilized world say you will now reap what you sew.

Isn't there somewhere that Buddhism mentions cause/effect? Well what would most "good Thai Buddhists" know a/b what the Buddha ever said?

World community?

There is the USA and their European vassals on one side and Russia and China on the other. Russia and China won't care.

But I don't see any community.

I assume the headline is rhetorical, if not the answer is a resounding YES.

So your resounding yes is based on the evaluation period passing before the positive changes were implemented? What is the evaluation period as it is not stated in this article? Maybe some of the changes to tackle the issue were implemented before the evaluation period finished? Going by your word "resounding" you seem to have an intimate knowledge of the timelines and can shed some light on the subject as this article does not go into much detail to allow me to say the word "resounding"

What makes you think the positive work that has been achieved by this government which was recognised by Patrick Murphy, would not have an impact on the final rating? Evaluation period again?

Do you not think they have done any positive work. They are after all the Junta so I assume you have ignored any positive work they did because you don't really care about the human trafficking issue, but more about denouncing anything the Junta do even if it is a step in the right direction.

So back to your "resounding"?

"The recent discovery of forced labour on Thai fishing trawlers in Indonesia and discovery of mass graves in migrant camps along the Thai-Malaysia border has not helped the Kingdom's cause in its attempt to get an upgrade."

I see everyday on CNN (repeatedly) a short broadcast about their "CNN Freedom Project" (subtitle : Ending modern day slavery)

Who could not agree with that ?

However I feel irritated when speaking about the situation in the Thai fishery sector .....at the end a Thai lady is saying "..this problem has to be fixed" ...to be interrupted by another lady saying in an arrogant way as if the Thai lady is not serious : "slavery can't be fixed it has to be stopped"....

I am not an English speaker and I also may use the expression that "a problem has to be fixed" when I mean "it has to be stopped"