Earth slowing; time adjusted

webfact

TIME
Earth slowing; time adjusted

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE ROYAL Thai Navy's Hydrographic Department will adjust the time by one second in order to meet international standards, deputy director Vice Admiral Jarin Bunmoah said yesterday.

The adjustment will go into effect on July 1, in response to the France-based International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service (IERS) report that the world is revolving one second slower. IERS monitors the Earth's revolution.

Jarin said the revolution of the world had slowed down by a minuscule period over time, and if adjustments are not made regularly the deviation can add up to an hour every 100 years.

As per IERS standards, Thailand adjusted its time three years ago by one second.

Jarin said there was a need to adjust the time to prevent a negative impact on daily life and to adjust to natural changes such as the rising and setting of the sun.

The department announced that at midnight June 30 universal time, Thai time will be 7.00.01 July 1, which will be adjusted back to 7.00.00 to compensate and synchronise, Jarin explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Earth-slowing;-time-adjusted-30262410.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-16

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" add up to an hour every 100 years.

As per IERS standards, Thailand adjusted its time three years ago by one second."

With another second after 3 years....the math doesn't add up.

1 second every 3 years means 33 seconds after 100 years.

Say a minute after 200 years.......so an hour every 12000 years.

As per IERS standards, Thailand adjusted its time three years ago by one second."

1 second every 3 years means

Yes but they don't mean 1 second EVERY 3 years, that's why your maths does add up

yes there was an adjustment 3 years ago and its been decided by IERS to put another adjustment, but it doesn't mean this will happen every 3 years

the article is not written very well

I remember the last one, very well, as we shut down all operations as a precaution, as the adjustment means changes uploaded to GPS and positioning systems

TV finest have no need to worry, the sky is not falling.

Yes but they don't mean 1 second EVERY 3 years, that's why your maths does add up

yes there was an adjustment 3 years ago and its been decided by IERS to put another adjustment, but it doesn't mean this will happen every 3 years

I remember the last one, very well, as we shut down all operations as a precaution, as the adjustment means changes uploaded to GPS and positioning systems

If the article was correct it would mean that within a thousand years earth would not have any gravity since the rotation of the earth is directly related to the gravity here. Slower rotation would mean less gravity.

If the article was correct it would mean that within a thousand years earth would not have any gravity since the rotation of the earth is directly related to the gravity here. Slower rotation would mean less gravity.

so in a 1000 years the sky would fall ?....is that what your saying ? or does it mean we all float away into space..? w00t.gif great back story for another episode of "Preppers" laugh.png

so in a 1000 years the sky would fall ?....is that what your saying ? or does it mean we all float away into space..? w00t.gif great back story for another episode of "Preppers" laugh.png

heheee

There goes wifey's diet out of the window then.

Here is what is actually happening.

While we know the Earth's rotation is slowing, that is NOT the reason why the extra "Leap Second" is added by our official time keepers every so often. The reason for adding a leap second is that the planet does not rotate exactly once every 24 hours (86,400 seconds). The rotation actually takes 86,400.002 seconds so that each day this little difference builds up between the atomic clock and the earth's rotation.

The Earth's rotation is slowing but at a much slower rate than 1 leap second every so many years. The length of time it takes the Earth, at the present time, to rotate once is 86,400.002 seconds compared to 86,400 seconds back in 1820. The rotation has slowed roughly only by 2 milliseconds since 1820. That seems like an insignificant amount of time BUT over the course of the planet's entire lifetime, it has had very profound effects on the geophysics of the planet.

Source

Scientific statements from Thai media need to be considered at the same way you receive science information from a child. Just think of it as cute.

Edited by canuckamuck

Rotation does not directly affect gravity,

You know that rotation creates centrifugal force, almost the opposite of gravity really. Mass creates gravity and if the Earth didn't spin we would still be stuck to it.

Edit Sirineou beat me to it.

Edited by canuckamuck

I appreciate what you're saying. My assumption is the slowing down of the earth's rotation is pretty much smooth deceleration and if it is 1 second over the last 3 years, it will be pretty much the same every 3 years...."pretty much"..... but an hour in just 100 years!! think about it.....that means a solar day has got longer by 3 hours since Australia was discovered!!!! Extrapolate that back to Jesus' time.....the world would have been spinning so fast, a day lasted a minute. No wonder Noah lived to be 800 years old!

You know that rotation creates centrifugal force, almost the opposite of gravity really. Mass creates gravity and if the Earth didn't spin we would still be stuck to it.

Correct. Without centrifugal force from rotation opposing gravity we would be slightly "heavier" though still the same mass. Though this is very slight and gradual, I have noticed its effects - after 6 months away working I come back to find my g/f 3kg heavier.

Correct. Without centrifugal force from rotation opposing gravity we would be slightly "heavier" though still the same mass. Though this is very slight and gradual, I have noticed its effects - after 6 months away working I come back to find my g/f 3kg heavier.

Well you would need to factor this in when purchasing said GF order one 3kg lighter than your specifications before going to work... thumbsup.gif

Well you would need to factor this in when purchasing said GF order one 3kg lighter than your specifications before going to work... thumbsup.gif

I have suggested the weight gain was due to a lack of conjugal exercise and instigated a remedial program. Upgrading can be a risky business - at least when I come back the house, furniture, bikes and dogs are all still there.

and she was 1/9th of a second older than she would had otherwise being...errrrr I think

first global warming making us hotter, now,Darn lazy earth , slowing down , making us heavier and older

I had enough of this earth, I suggest we take our business elsewheretongue.png

... and then batteries would run backwards and we'd all have to get our lap-tops fixed

"Jarin said there was a need to adjust the time to prevent a negative impact on daily life and to adjust to natural changes such as the rising and setting of the sun."

The mind boggles.

I appreciate what you're saying. My assumption is the slowing down of the earth's rotation is pretty much smooth deceleration and if it is 1 second over the last 3 years, it will be pretty much the same every 3 years...."pretty much"..... but an hour in just 100 years!! think about it.....that means a solar day has got longer by 3 hours since Australia was discovered!!!! Extrapolate that back to Jesus' time.....the world would have been spinning so fast, a day lasted a minute. No wonder Noah lived to be 800 years old!

Here is a link from one of our surveyors if you have a stomach for high powered mathematics/theories and measurement, which give a lot of the background to all this "leap second" stuff...if one can understand it of course...LOL...I don't laugh.png

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/

every 100 year every 1000 year...same same

Edited by canman

"canuckamuck" said:-

So we are not stuck to it because of the rotation wink.png

What about people at the poles where they are just standing there spinning and not rotating whistling.gif

Huh ? You need to go back to school, matey, it's the opposite. The rotation of the Earth is directly related to the centrifugal force it creates. If the Earth stopped rotating, the gravity would be exactly the same due to the mass of the Earth being exactly the same, but we would 'feel' heavier due to the lack of centrifugal force. However, if the Earth's rotation was so fast that the resulting centrifugal force countered it's own gravity, then we would have problems.I forget exactly, but if the Earth was spinning so fast that it was able to throw us all off, then a 'day' would be in the region of an hour and a half.

It's referred to as a 'leap second'. The last one was in June 2012. Since 1972 a total of 25 seconds have been added.

36 Seconds' Difference

The difference between UTC and the International Atomic Time (UTC-TAI) after the next leap second has been added on June 30, 2015, will be 36 sec.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/leapseconds.html

The Future of Leap Seconds

Leap seconds are added to our clocks to compensate for the Earth's slowing rotation.

However, some scientists propose abolishing leap seconds in the future, redefining the way we measure time. This issue will be put to a vote in 2015.

Should Earth's rotation define time?

Triggered by a questionaire about Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) distributed by the IERS in 1999, scientists around the world began discussing the use of leap seconds. The argument revolves around the question:

Should we adjust our clocks to the Earth's slowing rotation, or should atomic clocks be solely responsible for measuring time?

More here