Boosting immune system

mommysboy

A few weeks ago I stepped up my training as I felt really good. So I pushed some heavy weights not done since my 30's (I am 54 now). And did this for a few sessions. Since then I have ached terribly in all muscle groups, I do mean badly. I also walk a lot in the sun as part of my regime. Shortly after the training spell, I came down with a hard flu like virus, although it may have been sinusitis as I had a lot of muck after 10 days or so. Last week I had a classic head cold, with sneezing, and full sinus, and vertigo. I felt really sick and groggy a couple of days ago and went to the hospital. I have been sleeping very little too as our baby wakes up in the night for feeding and I can't get back to sleep, so my body clock is way out of sync. In truth I feel utterly shattered it has been so hot lately in Surat. My muscles ache like hell I think I must have strained a whole load of tendons or ligaments. today I have developed a bit of a cough too.

The examination went well, and the chest xray too. They diagnosed non allergic rhinitis which is not unusual for me. And muscle injury.

But i did have some blood analysis which worried me a bit. The toyal wb count was just 5500, which is low for me, and lymphocyte was 16 (lab range 18-40), whereas neutrophil was excessive. Eosophil was zero !

I was surprised the doctor just took one look and said "bokatee" (normal/usual). I asked about low values and doctor said not to worry. I think she tried to explain that the overall picture was fine.

I wondered is there any way to boost my immune system.?

I can't think of anything other than laying off the heavy exercise, avoiding the sun, eating steaks and veg., and sleep, sleep sleep.

sleep, vitamin C, moderate sun is good, too much bad. No heavy weight exercise.

When it is good again, start with the exercise, but for the start, for every muscle groups only 1 exercise, 10-15 repetitions at a weight you could do the double amount of repetitions.

Just one set.

Next day nothing.

Than if you don't have any muscle ache (which should be as it was very light). The same again but 2 sets.

One day brake

if something hurt...the same again if nothing hurt 3 sets

one day brake

increase weight

etc etc

and of course adjust and be more on the gentle side, after 3 weeks or so you can push whatever is possible.

So you give your body some time to adjust to it.

Of course always look that you drink enough, and have enough protein, sleep enough.

Zinc supplement. Inexpensive and easy to obtain.

When I am under the weather my mantra is, "Less drink, more zinc."

Apparently it helps improve things downstairs as well, if you know what I mean.

Balance your intake though:

"Zinc is a trace element essential for cells of the immune system, and zinc deficiency affects the ability of T cells and other immune cells to function as they should. Caution: While it’s important to have sufficient zinc in your diet (15–25 mg per day), too much zinc can inhibit the function of the immune system."

Harvard Medical centre.

Edited by Beechboy

never heard of weight training lowering your immune system, as long as you give yourself a few days to recover and eat and sleep well. but Im not a doctor. there are a lot of flu type things around at the moment. I would guess its just coincidence.

I doubt that the weights have done anything but improve your immune system, unless you are taking some or other muscle building formula. The newest studies show that vit c (and most other vit supplements) are waste of money, you urinate most of it out. Rather watch your diet, eat enough fresh veg and fruit and eat enough healthy protein.

never heard of weight training lowering your immune system, as long as you give yourself a few days to recover and eat and sleep well. but Im not a doctor. there are a lot of flu type things around at the moment. I would guess its just coincidence.

yeah..."as long as you give yourself a few days to recover and eat sleep well"

Try training very hard, every day or twice a day, at the same time make some nice diet to reduce a 1.5 kg per week, and because you do that you don't sleep well + you may get a bit too less protein (because you are careless what you eat). Because you do it well during the week you give yourself a reward by going out drinking on Saturday. (and get in contact with many people who may have some flu)

in not later than 2 weeks you are sick with something unless you have the health like a buffalo (some people can do it).

I take Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) - 25mgs/mls prophylactically everynight mixed as a liquid.

I dilute one 500mg tablet in 500ml of water (a normal plastic water bottle) then use a measuring medicine cup to measure out just 25mls = 25mgs. That seems to be the perfect dose for me. One mixed 500ml water bottle does me for 20 days x 25mls of LDN - then I take 10 days off and mix another bottle 1st of each month.

Suggest you do your own research on LDN as a prophylactic. Plenty on the web - especially good is anything from the original discoverer Dr. Bihari.

Good luck and good health to all.

Edited by Bloodnut

The white blood count you describe is completely normal and not in any way an indication of immune problems.

The % lymphocytes etc are not important except when the count is elevated or when enormously variant.

I seem to remember a recent other thread of yours concerning an injury sustained during work outs. One does need to adapt work routines as one ages. It is also very necessary to be mindful of the heat especially with the recent weather. Over vigorous exercise and too much sweating without enough fluid and electrolyte replacement between them will certainly cause the kind of aches you report. I think your body is telling you, in more ways than one, to slow it down a bit.

The lack of sleep mentioned will certainly weaken your immunity, however. Sleep is one of the most important things impacting ion immune function in otherwise health people, along with a healthy diet and managing/minimizing mental stress. Babies do present a real challenge to getting enough sleep; you might find it necessary to add in a daytime nap until the baby is sleeping through the night.

Stop eating steak or any processed food.

you see in the other topic how the vegetables made me sick tongue.png

it's either the steak or the hands that touched your apple.

Anyway, stop starving yourself go and eat something

Oh no!! You got a virus!!! Start taking this that and everything!

Seriously you dont need anything, just keep eating lightly and some fluids, a little rest and you will back to normal!

Or you can start taking: Low Dose Naltrexone, kefir every day, B vitamins for sore muscles, Zinc supplement, vitamin C and a host of other maybe cures! Ha Ha!

Drink kefir every day.

Good digestive function is one of the key elements to overall good health and strong immunity.

Heavy exercise can stress the immune system so don't go too hard on the exercise.

Spot on.

I drink kefir every day and also a whole lemon (squeezed) into warm water in the morning.

Good quality turmeric capsules and apple cider vinegar with a little baking powder mixed - both the lemon and the ACV/BS are excellent at alkalising the blood.

Try to get approx 40% of the skin exposed to the sun for 15 minutes between 11.00 AM and 3.00 PM to boost your vitamin D3 levels (very important for immunity).

Try to minimise as much as possible sugar, refined vegetable oils and refined food in general and eat plenty of vegetables and (less) but a reasonable amount of fruit.

In the first 3 years spent in Thailand I had several bouts of flu/colds as well as shingles but in the proceeding 4 years when I started looking after my health I have not been ill or had a single head ache!!

you see in the other topic how the vegetables made me sick tongue.png

it's either the steak or the hands that touched your apple.

Anyway, stop starving yourself go and eat something

No I am not starving myself too much, even I am reducing weight a little bit at the moment because next month I fly back home and I have to show off a bit that I didn't got as fat as the others in my age tongue.png

But thanks about the worry for me smile.png

the body needs a few days to recover and build between bouts of strenuous exercise

if it does not get enough rest/recovery time the body breaks down

daily exercise is fine, but strenuous exercise needs time between sessions

Oh no!! You got a virus!!! Start taking this that and everything!

Seriously you dont need anything, just keep eating lightly and some fluids, a little rest and you will back to normal!

Or you can start taking: Low Dose Naltrexone, kefir every day, B vitamins for sore muscles, Zinc supplement, vitamin C and a host of other maybe cures! Ha Ha!

Oh no ! I got 2 of them and some ripped muscles, and I feel like cold crXX !

Do one !

The white blood count you describe is completely normal and not in any way an indication of immune problems.

The % lymphocytes etc are not important except when the count is elevated or when enormously variant.

I seem to remember a recent other thread of yours concerning an injury sustained during work outs. One does need to adapt work routines as one ages. It is also very necessary to be mindful of the heat especially with the recent weather. Over vigorous exercise and too much sweating without enough fluid and electrolyte replacement between them will certainly cause the kind of aches you report. I think your body is telling you, in more ways than one, to slow it down a bit.

The lack of sleep mentioned will certainly weaken your immunity, however. Sleep is one of the most important things impacting ion immune function in otherwise health people, along with a healthy diet and managing/minimizing mental stress. Babies do present a real challenge to getting enough sleep; you might find it necessary to add in a daytime nap until the baby is sleeping through the night.

Thanks, for your excellent posting.

I don't know in all honesty. But I wasn't eating at all well or getting anywhere near the usual 8 hours kip. Some days my diet seemed to consist of 6 donuts, tons of coffee, a bowkl of cereal and the odd sandwich. I think when I'm run down I do seem to get more infections generally. Over exercise and injury must be a factor. Looking after myself is not a strong point.

. Some days my diet seemed to consist of 6 donuts, tons of coffee, a bowkl of cereal and the odd sandwich. I think when I'm run down I do seem to get more infections generally.

No wonder you get sick.

You are probably already sick in most ways anyway.

Your liver and pancreas must be lined with that dangerous layer of fat.

Your arteries must be damaged and your blood flow sluggish.

This diet prepares you for type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, cancer and chronic disease.

Drink kefir every day.

Good digestive function is one of the key elements to overall good health and strong immunity.

Heavy exercise can stress the immune system so don't go too hard on the exercise.

Spot on.

I drink kefir every day and also a whole lemon (squeezed) into warm water in the morning.

Good quality turmeric capsules and apple cider vinegar with a little baking powder mixed - both the lemon and the ACV/BS are excellent at alkalising the blood.

Try to get approx 40% of the skin exposed to the sun for 15 minutes between 11.00 AM and 3.00 PM to boost your vitamin D3 levels (very important for immunity).

Try to minimise as much as possible sugar, refined vegetable oils and refined food in general and eat plenty of vegetables and (less) but a reasonable amount of fruit.

In the first 3 years spent in Thailand I had several bouts of flu/colds as well as shingles but in the proceeding 4 years when I started looking after my health I have not been ill or had a single head ache!!

Anyone with a decent diet simply will not suffer from any vitamin deficiency- certainly not VitD ( if you live here in the tropics)

I thought OK your post is sensible - eat veggies and less refined processed food.

But then- making your blood more alkaline! Have you any comprehension of the stunningly wonderful biochemical systems that you possess. It's called homeostasis - what ever you eat makes no difference.

It's the fact that you have a good diet- that's it- leave the ACV / BS ( another first in TV abbreviations ) to making pickled onions or baking scones.

Shingles can pop up any time- a left over from Chicken Pox.

Another post from your resident scientist

. Some days my diet seemed to consist of 6 donuts, tons of coffee, a bowkl of cereal and the odd sandwich. I think when I'm run down I do seem to get more infections generally.

No wonder you get sick.

You are probably already sick in most ways anyway.

Your liver and pancreas must be lined with that dangerous layer of fat.

Your arteries must be damaged and your blood flow sluggish.

This diet prepares you for type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, cancer and chronic disease.

Had all the tests recently on these areas, including sonogram prostate, bladder, liver, kidneys, all those major organs fit as a fiddle.

BP 120/80. Heart good.

Very slim muscular.

Normally, I would be consuming bananas, apples, and cooked veg. Just went haywire for a while.

You're wrong on your assumptions.

To safely boost immune system function (immonomodulation) take Echinacea herb/root three times per day for one month.

Also, Reishi mushroom and Astragalus root which you can buy in any Traditional Chinese Medicine pharmacy in BKK Chinatown.

Absolutely correct, avoid all red meats and eat lots of fresh fruits and veg, and moderate aerobic excersise. and your imune system will frourish.

In truth I think the problem is my crazy sleep patterns, odd times and never enough. Quite simply my body can't recover from the previous day. Hence the exhaustion and inevitable illness. If I can regulate the sleep (not easy this) then I am sure I will be fine.