Should I advise the Aussie Embassy when I get married?

giddyup

Reason I ask is that if anything happens to me (die) there is a record of my marriage and my wife will have claim to monies in my Australian bank. How would my bank in Oz know that I'm married here and who is entitled to my money?

How would my bank in Oz know that I'm married here and who is entitled to my money?----OP

The short answer is ---NO, if you are on a OAP...it will negatively affect it.

About your bank---or other saving institutions, there is this concept called a WILL you can leave a copy of it with an Oz lawyer & a copy of your marriage certificate if you wish. You may need an executor---it is better that you check this.

**I am one who wants to leave small footprints giddyup---I tell the government as least as possible.

Edited by sanuk711

I don't believe that you would have to notify the aussie embassy of your marriage, but I would recommend that you make sure that your will clearly stipulates who the executor/executrix of the will is, as they will be the only person who can actually access your estate, both in Thailand and Australia. Your will should clearly state to whom, and what proportion, of your estate is bequeathed. If you have a friend who is a solicitor, I would suggest that you nominate the solicitor as your executor. I would also give your nominated executor details of both your Thai and aussie assests, viz. bank a/c details etc. It is then the executors responsibility to make contact with the relevant financial institutions and ensure that your estate is distributed as per your will.

if you are a pensioner and you inform aus embassy you will lose 200dollars a fortnight,and if you didn't inform centerlink within 14 days of marriage you will be billed for overpayment for the time you were married until the time you tell them. i know from experience.

supposed to do it Before you get married Mate,

If it was in an Amphoe, then its legit ...

There is a lady on the Gold Coast who is an accredited translator of Thai in English, costs $35 you can advise whomever (in OZ) what your last will and testament is ....

if you are a pensioner and you inform aus embassy you will lose 200dollars a fortnight,and if you didn't inform centerlink within 14 days of marriage you will be billed for overpayment for the time you were married until the time you tell them. i know from experience.

I'm not clear on why I would lose money from my OAP. I don't get a full pension anyway because of Super payments and interest from bank savings. They cut me to $750 a month.

I'm not clear on why I would lose money from my OAP. I don't get a full pension anyway because of Super payments and interest from bank savings. They cut me to $750 a month.

the rule governing couples is that they can live more cheaply than one through the pooling of resourses obtaining economy of scale,also they will want to know your wifes bank accounts and any property ,cars motor bike or any other assets. mine even got a centerlink id and does not live in aus [edit] my wife lives in thailand and i live in aus ,they don't care as long as they can rip money off you they will,i see her 2 months of a year.

Edited by heybuz

The married OAP is less than the 2 X single OAP and there is some complicated formula even when your new partner does not get the OAP. The net result is that, even though it defies logic and fairness, you could end up getting paid even less. Anyway, just make sure you won't be disadvantaged before making any official notification.

Edited by Stevemercer

the rule governing couples is that they can live more cheaply than one through the pooling of resourses obtaining economy of scale,also they will want to know your wifes bank accounts and any property ,cars motor bike or any other assets. mine even got a centerlink id and does not live in aus

Getting married is sounding more and more like a no go. I probably should have done more research before I went to the Aussie embassy, had my stat dec translated and approved etc, but I never even considered that Centrelink might reduce my pension. My partner is totally supported by me in Thailand and has no assets to speak of, and yet they are going to take money off me? They already only pay me half of a full single pension because I had the temerity to pay into a Super fund and had savings to invest (@ 3%), no way they are going to take another dollar from me.

Have you considered a will?

Yes, already done, but if I was married my partner should automatically receive my assets. At least that's how I read it.

Edited by giddyup

How would my bank in Oz know that I'm married here and who is entitled to my money?----OP

The short answer is ---NO, if you are on a OAP...it will negatively affect it.

About your bank---or other saving institutions, there is this concept called a WILL you can leave a copy of it with an Oz lawyer & a copy of your marriage certificate if you wish. You may need an executor---it is better that you check this.

**I am one who wants to leave small footprints giddyup---I tell the government as least as possible.

Brilliant idea,how long these will things been around!!

I don't believe that you would have to notify the aussie embassy of your marriage, but I would recommend that you make sure that your will clearly stipulates who the executor/executrix of the will is, as they will be the only person who can actually access your estate, both in Thailand and Australia. Your will should clearly state to whom, and what proportion, of your estate is bequeathed. If you have a friend who is a solicitor, I would suggest that you nominate the solicitor as your executor. I would also give your nominated executor details of both your Thai and aussie assests, viz. bank a/c details etc. It is then the executors responsibility to make contact with the relevant financial institutions and ensure that your estate is distributed as per your will.

Don't forget super,mine make me fill a form naming the benificary every 3 years,wishs about super also in the will.

Thats why i am single,as far as they are concerned.

Your wife is probably below 65,and therefore eligble to work.If she is not a resident,nor a citizen,i not sure,but i will bet it comes out in their favour.

Thats why i am single,as far as they are concerned.

If you don't tell them and they have overpaid any money they will certainly take it out of your estate when you die.

Your wife is probably below 65,and therefore eligble to work.If she is not a resident,nor a citizen,i not sure,but i will bet it comes out in their favour.

Not wife yet, and probably isn't going to be now, but youre right she's 50 (I'm 73) and she's a Thai citizen, and we're living in Thailand. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'd rather not rock the boat with Centrelink. I've been receiving my aged pension regularly for over 5 years, and I'd rather things remained like that.

Edited by giddyup

the rule governing couples is that they can live more cheaply than one through the pooling of resourses obtaining economy of scale,also they will want to know your wifes bank accounts and any property ,cars motor bike or any other assets. mine even got a centerlink id and does not live in aus

Getting married is sounding more and more like a no go. I probably should have done more research before I went to the Aussie embassy, had my stat dec translated and approved etc, but I never even considered that Centrelink might reduce my pension. My partner is totally supported by me in Thailand and has no assets to speak of, and yet they are going to take money off me? They already only pay me half of a full single pension because I had the temerity to pay into a Super fund and had savings to invest (@ 3%), no way they are going to take another dollar from me.

Well,you have to be more"creative".I have been looking into this for years and i still got 4 years to go.My "friend"is fully supportive of us not getting married,because of losing 12k baht/month.They got me another way though the bastards.As a non-resident i am taxed 32.5% on my measly $300/week rental income,yet as a working Australian it is tax free up to $18200.When i have to return to do my 2 years penance they will certainly know about me.I'll bloody live at CES for 2 years,they will be glad to piss me off.

Not wife yet, and probably isn't going to be now, but youre right she's 50 (I'm 73) and she's a Thai citizen, and we're living in Thailand. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'd rather not rock the boat with Centrelink. I've been receiving my aged pension regularly for over 5 years, and I'd rather things remained like that.

Good thinking mate,tell em nothing,take em nowhere.Have a village wedding,always good fun,but keep it off social media,they have spies everywhere,i'm not joking.

Well,you have to be more"creative".I have been looking into this for years and i still got 4 years to go.My "friend"is fully supportive of us not getting married,because of losing 12k baht/month.They got me another way though the bastards.As a non-resident i am taxed 32.5% on my measly $300/week rental income,yet as a working Australian it is tax free up to $18200.When i have to return to do my 2 years penance they will certainly know about me.I'll bloody live at CES for 2 years,they will be glad to piss me off.

Can't you say you are just on a long holiday and that would still make you a resident?

A friend had his pension reduced after telling them he was married. He later explained that he was the sole support for his wife and child (and parents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, half the village and a soi dog or two) and his full pension was reinstated. But he might just be one of the lucky ones.

A friend had his pension reduced after telling them he was married. He later explained that he was the sole support for his wife and child (and parents, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, half the village and a soi dog or two) and his full pension was reinstated. But he might just be one of the lucky ones.

I'd probably be in the same category as your friend, but why take the chance? We've been together over 5 years so the relationship will remain the same, just no gold ring.

Can't you say you are just on a long holiday and that would still make you a resident?

No, not that simple.

to get the single pension when married your only allowed 5000 aud in the bank and be in finiancial hardship

Would you like to share what government site you found this info ??

under section 24 is the hardship clause,the the money side was mentioned to me on the phone while is was having a heated discussion with one of centerlink investigators

i'm about to submit a separation form 'mod s' was advised by solicitor to do,probably cop a lot of flak from centerlink but i'm not lying we are separated.hopefully get the single pension restored

Actually you have to be even more careful than that. You have to not be in a relationship to get the full pension.,.......And now that applies even if you are gay and living with a gay partner. That came about when the government recognised gay relationships.

In practice it should not be a problem here unless someone wants to be nasty or you maked the big mistake of putting it on any government department document including the embassy.

No, not that simple.

I am gong through thr appeal process now.

OAP has been refused as, in their opinion, I am not a "resident in Aus" even though I was born there, worked and paid taxes for 45 years (and still paying taxes). They penalise you for retiring early and living overseas even when all of you assets are in Aus. If you want the OAP do not live outside of Aus too long before you turn 65.