Nok Air - Maintenance Standards Need improving?

djlest

Here is a photo i took 4 days ago on NOK AIR flight DD9515 on the 15 June to Don Muang 11.40AM
You can see very clearly that one of the Engine panel Quick release straps is seen to be still open, it was not just left open it was actually broken and whoever chose to fix it thought that some Duct tape also seen stuck over the surrounding area would suffice???
The duct tape has clearly fallen off quite a while ago, Yet still no NOK Aircraft technicians have bothered to fix it, nor seem to care that a piece of Duct tape is compliant to International Avionics Industry standards and can be used in place of a clip?

Perhaps, equally disturbing is that those responsible don't consider that NOK AIR customers can gaze out and see the fantastic standards of Maintenance, safety and standards that Thai Aircraft technicians and its governing body, Thai Civil Avionics Authority adhere too? And if this is just one of many hidden or botched repairs on entire fleets of aircraft, which im sorry to say i believe is probably the case.

Is this any wonder that the ICAO are not happy with Thailands Safety Standards? But what about its National Safety standards for Flights?
I'm posting this to hopefully circulate back to the ICAO - the problem is not just with International flights but DOMESTIC Thai Flights seem to be in an even worse state.

I really don't like posting negative comments that can destroy a companies reputation or damage its income or employees, but on this occasion safety and lives are involved.

I did consider complaining directly to the NOK Airline at first, but i know it wouldn't do anything or it would never get fixed without a public outcry.
If the THAIVISA staff want to make this Post a sticky or report further on it, to get this problem fixed, then please do.

Finally, i would like to add that i am a time served Aircraft technician of over 20 years for Airbus and Hawker, not only does this broken clip create drag, but if the panel lifts and air gets under, well its a no brainier that it will rip the entire panel off. But even if that does't happen, this standard or workmanship is just not acceptable on Aircraft carrying thousands of Civilians everyday. the fact that it is a Budget airline is also no excuse!
post-18632-0-98520900-1434704573_thumb.j
post-18632-0-55227200-1434704591_thumb.j
post-18632-0-30423700-1434704632_thumb.j
post-18632-0-30057500-1434704649_thumb.j

International Avionics Industry standards - Googled, can't find

Thai Civil Avionics Authority - Googled, can't find

I'm posting this to hopefully circulate back to the ICAO - why not email them directly ?

I really don't like posting negative comments that can destroy a companies reputation or damage its income or employees, but on this occasion safety and lives are involved. - But you felt instead of going to the airline or the governing body, posting on TVF was the best way to show your concern ?

Here is a photo i took 4 days ago on NOK AIR flight DD9515 on the 15 June to Don Muang 11.40AM - 4 days ago, the safety of passengers for the last 4 days did not concern you ?

You can see very clearly that one of the Engine panel Quick release straps is seen to be still open, it was not just left open it was actually broken - was it open or broken, make your mind up.

The duct tape has clearly fallen off quite a while ago,- how do you know when the duct tape fell off ?

I really don't like posting negative comments that can destroy a companies reputation or damage its income or employees, but on this occasion safety and lives are involved. - did you mention it to any of the staff on the plane ?

LOSER

Perhaps the OP should have replaced the word Avionics with Aviation.

Personally I can't see Avionics having anything to do with a Mechanical latch on an engine door.

If the OP is so concerned and claims to have a long history in the aviation world I would have thought the sensible thing to do was report the problem to the crew during the flight and let the pilot make a decision rather than jepardise his and fellow passengers safety by staying quiet and posting the problem 4 days later on a general forum.

There was an article a few weeks ago about tape to make quick temporary repairs on engine covers and wings surface to maintain air flow.. They use what they call SPEED TAPE and is an acceptable practice even on large airlines. If you Google "aviation speed tape" you will have all the information about it.

There was an article a few weeks ago about tape to make quick temporary repairs on engine covers and wings surface to maintain air flow.. They use what they call SPEED TAPE and is an acceptable practice even on large airlines. If you Google "aviation speed tape" you will have all the information about it.

Yes but not to keep quick release fasteners in the locked position. All panels and fasteners are expected to be closed and locked on any plane or any airline before flight.

I'm posting this to hopefully circulate back to the ICAO - why not email them directly ?

I really don't like posting negative comments that can destroy a companies reputation or damage its income or employees, but on this occasion safety and lives are involved. - But you felt instead of going to the airline or the governing body, posting on TVF was the best way to show your concern ?

Here is a photo i took 4 days ago on NOK AIR flight DD9515 on the 15 June to Don Muang 11.40AM - 4 days ago, the safety of passengers for the last 4 days did not concern you ?

You can see very clearly that one of the Engine panel Quick release straps is seen to be still open, it was not just left open it was actually broken - was it open or broken, make your mind up.

The duct tape has clearly fallen off quite a while ago,- how do you know when the duct tape fell off ?

I really don't like posting negative comments that can destroy a companies reputation or damage its income or employees, but on this occasion safety and lives are involved. - did you mention it to any of the staff on the plane ?

LOSER

I bet you are the type of person who cries to your car dealer when your car gets dirty....

After working with aircraft for past 34 years I agree with him fully. I can tell you without a doubt that aircraft would never be allowed to fly if found on US soil. Speed tape,is not for fixing broken fasteners either. The OP is absolutely correct in his opinions. The rest of bar stool old quarterbacks just sit there and have another beer and keep your uneducated opinions to your bar stool. You are clueless.

Well, since ICAO and soon the FAA will be taking a marked interest in Thailand aviation, I'd assume it wouldn't be too difficult for the OP to email his photos and description of them to the relevant authorities...

That would seem a whole lot more productive than posting them here -- although I appreciate learning of this kind of episode from a passenger perspective.

All of you people who have worked in the industry for decades and declare it is not to be used to hold weak latches or used in the US should read this.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2014/08/09/13568810/

American said its Boeing 737 last Friday had the tape applied for an approved use. It wasn't a hole, said American spokesman Tim Wagner; instead, the high-speed tape was placed over a panel with a weak thumb latch.

"Here is a photo i took 4 days ago on NOK AIR flight DD9515 on the 15 June to Don Muang 11.40AM"

Not sure which plane you took, as below are the details for flight DD9515 on 15/6/15 :-)

DEPARTURE - KOP
Mon 06-15-2015
GATE
SCHEDULED
12:00 PM
ACTUAL
12:03 PM
Total Departure Delay 3 minutes

"Here is a photo i took 4 days ago on NOK AIR flight DD9515 on the 15 June to Don Muang 11.40AM"

Not sure which plane you took, as below are the details for flight DD9515 on 15/6/15 :-)

DEPARTURE - KOP
Mon 06-15-2015
GATE
SCHEDULED
12:00 PM
ACTUAL
12:03 PM
Total Departure Delay 3 minutes

It was scheduled to leave the gate at 12 noon. (Sometimes there is a bit of confusion about 12:00 AM or PM as differing standards are used in differing countries.

It was sheduled to be boarded at the gate at 11:40 AM to give 20 minutes for people to sit down.

no problem with this being the same flight.

The issue here is the open latch rather than the use of speed tape.

FWIW i've used speed tape many times including on supersonic aircraft with engineering approval. It holds well even supersonic if used in areas protected by the boundary layer and not on leading edges.

2fishin2 get a few more years under your beltwink.png

The issue here is the open latch rather than the use of speed tape.

FWIW i've used speed tape many times including on supersonic aircraft with engineering approval. It holds well even supersonic if used in areas protected by the boundary layer and not on leading edges.

2fishin2 get a few more years under your beltwink.png

Yeah you are right I should.

Engineers give approval normally for minor quick fixes to get an aircraft home or to a depot for proper fixes.

Engineers do not give approval to use speed tape to hold down a cowling latch or to continue using it indefinitely which from the picture, is obviously happening.

The purpose of speed tape is not mechanical in nature.

That kind of BS engineering would never be accepted in the US military.

And lets take another look I think that could be considered a "leading edge" latch and the would be expressively prohibited Im sure.

But what do I know....

All of you people who have worked in the industry for decades and declare it is not to be used to hold weak latches or used in the US should read this.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2014/08/09/13568810/

American said its Boeing 737 last Friday had the tape applied for an approved use. It wasn't a hole, said American spokesman Tim Wagner; instead, the high-speed tape was placed over a panel with a weak thumb latch.

It confirms what all the ones in the know here have said. It is a Temporary en route repair. It is not a permanent solution. For me I am happy that the airlines I have worked in and the ones I chose to fly on don't consider it anything other than that.

ok what ever the technical opinion,

"I did consider complaining directly to the NOK Airline at first, but i know it wouldn't do anything or it would never get fixed"

How do you KNOW they wouldn't get it fixed or investigate it unless you tried ?....and please don't say because they are Thai, because then your just a half wit

Further, during course of the flight did it not occur to you to bring this to the attention of one of the flight crew ? blink.png

all he has done is to gone on to an anonymous internet forum to whinge, then would have to ask the question what is the point of his post,

he has seen possibly something wrong and done nothing about his concerns so IMHO could be just as culpable as Nokair, if they haven't maintained stuff properly

BTW I am not defending the airline in the least

Transferring this sort of attitude into the work environment I am in, the OP could find himself getting sacked along with the people who hadn't done their jobs properly and possibly endangered peoples lives...

Dont worry I reported it to them for you. If you would PM your booking reference number it would be appreciated, they are asking for it. I have received 3 different apology emails from them. On second thought, why dont you send them the pic and details I guarantee they will respond.

LOSER

cheesy.gif No not the critical post is destroying the reputation, it is the bad repair work.

I would not accept this kind of repair on our CNC lathes and the worst thing that may happen is that it switch off, it doesn't fall from the sky....

Archived