What is wrong with Thai Airways ?

Ballbearing

To all the doom and gloom merchants who continually post negatives about Thai Airways - maybe have a look at the Skytrax World Airline Awards 2015.

I have included the airlines below which are applicable to the majority of the english speaking forum members.

Qantas Australia - 10th

Virgin Australia - 16th

Air New Zealand - 18th

Thai Airways - 19th

British Airways - 20th

Virgin America - 26th

Delta Airlines - 45th

United Airlines - 60th

American Airlines (worlds largest airline) - 79th

Food for thought ?

Cheers,

BB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how Thai Airways does it. They consistently offer low prices while at the same time making large profits and require no government subsidies. Their staff and service are the very best. It's amazing really.

Oh wait.... gigglem.gif

Hi,

I don,t no what you have. I like flying with thai, doing this for yeahrs .

On the 25 june again to Germany in the A 380 and that for 10500,- Bath one way.

Sri lanken airways is 14500,- bath and a stop in colombo .

I am happy with the service and the plane.

You schould try!

Well....for all the negatives for Thai.....I just returned from France....Thb77000 for 2....A380 and 50% full so heaps of room....best flight in economy I've had.

Just booked for 2 to Melbourne in October....Thb46000.........nothing wrong with that either.....For me...I'm always happy to go with them....

You mentioned the rankings of Western carriers and Thai airlines. The top 10 are all Asian or Middle eastern and all fly to Thailand.

Air Canada is 27th and behind one US carrier and miles ahead of most other American carriers.

I've had nothing but enjoyable flights on Thai Airways.

I flew from BKK to Phuket on 18th June this year with the late afternoon flight. It was a Boeing 777 from Thai and it was an incredible experience.

When we had a little turbulence strong noice came from the back of the plane. When I went to inspect it I found all the compartments used for storage and heating without doors. It was louder than visiting a fun fair.

Those awards must be based on in flight service. Once a Thai Airways plane is in the air, they're pretty OK. A lot of computerised automatic systems kick in.

It's just the landing, taxiing on the runway and taking off they have problems with.

blink.png

Personally,I have had problems booking TG internal flights for many years .

The move from DMK to Suvarnabhumi ,the changeover from TG to Thai Smile,the move from Thai Smile from BKK to DMK !

The confusion ,rescheduling and almost total lack of advance planning has meant that I have used other carriers in preference not necessarily for better quality but just that work & family need to know what travel arangements have been made.

Personally ,I would prefer to travel Thai(TG)from my home UK airport to Chiang Rai but this is no longer possible due to the fact that TG have no interline agreement with UK carriers for a through ticket other than standard full fareand from October TG will no longer fly from Suvarnabhumi ,the major international hub for incoming international flights to Chiang Rai,instead they will operate from DMK on Thai Smile.Therefore I will have to select a carrier that offers an add from my home & and a Bangkok Airways flight from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Rai .

skytrax is all about money , how much you pay them is where you will find yourself on the list . being not fit to fly does not enter the calculations of where a air line should land on the list . making fast noodles look good on the menu , well that is something .

Thank you. American Airlines is the arm pit of air travel. If you think something is wrong with the world, AA is probably responsible. My wife also in wheelchair during another outbound, had her carry on hijacked, despite her calm protest, my medicine is inside. This Sainted woman didn't see that bag again until BKK. My calls to their so called CS, while all this was happening, waste of time. Though it was the first time I was ever called a customer, not passenger. Dad was pilot with flying tigers, there is probably a little I don't know about air travel, along with jumping out of a stinking planes or whirly birds.

I have advanced degrees in statistics. This is one time manipulation of them is not necessary. In Jacksonville, Fla. I was assaulted by a gate agent, while in my wheelchair and I hadn't said a word before or after. AA popped for a $600. voucher. We moved to Delta where they actually have respect for the handicapped.

Alberto Figuero was the AA person who assaulted me. Then there are the racists at the ticket counter. Of course the most racial discrimination and insensitive people are usually people of color. I am not talking about Asians. Rhona was not of color. She was of walking dead.

Funny thing about all of this.......................a lifetime ago, I went to Vietnam to kill these people. Only to discover most of them were in my mother country, USA.

I go to the airport with a cover letter from our county sheriff. Nothing matters to the creatures that AA puts in front of the public. They're all text book examples of petty tyrants. Many of them seem like they also post on TV.

Okay feel better now. Sabai Sabai, they haven't heard the last from this . They did the unforgiven of hurting my beloved wife. Currently in Thailand recovering from major surgery.

I don't think identifying a person as a racist is calling them names. I'm a gentleman. I don't participate on that level. I'm not needed there.

The upside of all this is the dear wife now understands why I'm so serious. These creatures I speak of, they're the ones with blood on their hands. I was doing my job when mine got dirty. God forgive me.

Well....for all the negatives for Thai.....I just returned from France....Thb77000 for 2....A380 and 50% full so heaps of room....best flight in economy I've had.
Just booked for 2 to Melbourne in October....Thb46000.........nothing wrong with that either.....For me...I'm always happy to go with them....

I just booked with them early last week to New Zealand 29 June return, 29k baht, was 16k cheaper than Qantas and Qantas have the worst food servings than any other major airline. You get a type of takeaway plastic container for your main meal and a little desert, no tray with a little salad or a piece of cheese/biscuits any more.
And they do not serve you with a drink after take off any more you have to wait till you get your food. Like a 1st class budget airline.

The only thing I do not like with the Thai flight to New Zealand is they use their bloody old 777's and the seats are so hard. They have a 380 doing the short run to Hobg Kong half empty most of the time, beats me their thinking. I did stop using them for my 3-4 times a yr trips back and forth to NZ because of the old 777's and hard seats HD used Qantas as they where always much lower than Thai but this time Thai where much lower than Quantas. I have a cushion to take with me this time.

Some years ago I used to fly Bangkok - Brisbane a lot. They could never, or would never explain why a B777 intercontinental flight would be loaded with those bloody awful buses (around midnight), rather than having the plane pulled up at the sky-bridge/walkway.

Also, while I'm in the mood for a rant.

I was in business class with them some years ago, only one choice (prawn curry) available for the second meal, not good enough after stumping-up big money for the ticket (I don't like prawns either!!).

[/quote

I just booked with them early last week to New Zealand 29 June return, 29k baht, was 16k cheaper than Qantas and Qantas have the worst food servings than any other major airline. You get a type of takeaway plastic container for your main meal and a little desert, no tray with a little salad or a piece of cheese/biscuits any more.

And they do not serve you with a drink after take off any more you have to wait till you get your food. Like a 1st class budget airline.

The only thing I do not like with the Thai flight to New Zealand is they use their bloody old 777's and the seats are so hard. They have a 380 doing the short run to Hobg Kong half empty most of the time, beats me their thinking. I did stop using them for my 3-4 times a yr trips back and forth to NZ because of the old 777's and hard seats HD used Qantas as they where always much lower than Thai but this time Thai where much lower than Quantas. I have a cushion to take with me this time.

When Thai launched their A380 service, they stated that putting it on a short -haul route meant that their pilots get more take-off/landing practice.

Also, i was lucky enough some years ago to fly Emirates business class Bangkok-Dubai-London-Dubai-Bangkok. The first three legs were upstairs A380, final leg from Dubai - Bangkok was B777 business class, the change in service-level was literally like going from business class to economy. Mind you, it was about 100k Baht extra for business.

"I have included the airlines below which are applicable to the majority of the english speaking forum members."

Not sure why Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines were committed from your list, many of use English speaking member travel quite often with them as well.

I could not find the ranking list on Skytrax website to check their position however i would think higher than TG for the region. I am with the rest of the people, I prefer the working of the aircraft being up to international standard, which Thai is not, than what is on the plate.

The main problem is the name. One of those words is guaranteed to attract criticism from the usual types here.

Yup. You just can't trust a company with "Airways" in the name. Oh, wait a minute. Never mind. (It's true, some folks here will bash anything Thai, while refusing to go where they'd apparently be happier- greener pastures and all...)

I fly Thai domestic about once a month and they do a passable job. Service is friendly and they usually arrive on time, and they do arrive 100% of the time. Compared to United (where my miles were), they're a treat. But that's a low bar.

"I have included the airlines below which are applicable to the majority of the english speaking forum members."

Not sure why Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines were committed from your list, many of use English speaking member travel quite often with them as well.

I could not find the ranking list on Skytrax website to check their position however i would think higher than TG for the region. I am with the rest of the people, I prefer the working of the aircraft being up to international standard, which Thai is not, than what is on the plate.

Away from A380 services, which are a bit different, I'd rate Cathay as the best that I've flown on, and I've flown on a helluva lot of airlines.

Thank you. American Airlines is the arm pit of air travel. If you think something is wrong with the world, AA is probably responsible. My wife also in wheelchair during another outbound, had her carry on hijacked, despite her calm protest, my medicine is inside. This Sainted woman didn't see that bag again until BKK. My calls to their so called CS, while all this was happening, waste of time. Though it was the first time I was ever called a customer, not passenger. Dad was pilot with flying tigers, there is probably a little I don't know about air travel, along with jumping out of a stinking planes or whirly birds.

I have advanced degrees in statistics. This is one time manipulation of them is not necessary. In Jacksonville, Fla. I was assaulted by a gate agent, while in my wheelchair and I hadn't said a word before or after. AA popped for a $600. voucher. We moved to Delta where they actually have respect for the handicapped.

Alberto Figuero was the AA person who assaulted me. Then there are the racists at the ticket counter. Of course the most racial discrimination and insensitive people are usually people of color. I am not talking about Asians. Rhona was not of color. She was of walking dead.

Funny thing about all of this.......................a lifetime ago, I went to Vietnam to kill these people. Only to discover most of them were in my mother country, USA.

I go to the airport with a cover letter from our county sheriff. Nothing matters to the creatures that AA puts in front of the public. They're all text book examples of petty tyrants. Many of them seem like they also post on TV.

Okay feel better now. Sabai Sabai, they haven't heard the last from this . They did the unforgiven of hurting my beloved wife. Currently in Thailand recovering from major surgery.

I don't think identifying a person as a racist is calling them names. I'm a gentleman. I don't participate on that level. I'm not needed there.

The upside of all this is the dear wife now understands why I'm so serious. These creatures I speak of, they're the ones with blood on their hands. I was doing my job when mine got dirty. God forgive me.

You mustn't stop taking your meds.

I used to fly Thai Airways First Class BKK-LHR at least 6 times a year and really liked the service however, the prices have now gone crazy and I can get a matching service from EVA in Business for half price or less. To me the problem with Thai isn't the product, its the pricing.

Comparing any other carrier to the US legacy airlines (AA, Delta and United) is a waste of time. The legacy carriers in the US are something to avoid. They are overpriced, operate decrepit aircraft, have geriatric flight attendants and charge you for everything except farting in the seats. Asian carriers are much better and the ME carriers are the best. I avoid US carriers unless I have a free ticket using FF miles. If the US would institute a complete open skies agreement with foreign carriers, US legacy carriers would be out of business in a very short time.

Some years ago I used to fly Bangkok - Brisbane a lot. They could never, or would never explain why a B777 intercontinental flight would be loaded with those bloody awful buses (around midnight), rather than having the plane pulled up at the sky-bridge/walkway.

Not sure if you realize but this happens to the biggest of planes (up to 747) and longest of flights (my longest flight ever: SFO - HKG: 13 hrs13 mins = bus gate on arrival, minus the buses, we stood and waited and waited...) and at the biggest of airports.

Northwest NRT into BKK, I remember - always a bus gate.

There just aren't enough gates in general.

Well Qatar has a promotion running to CDG for 26.000B, travel 1st sept to 29 February 2016, A380 all the way.

I fly BKK- Europe in biz (lie flats with aisle access) and pay no more than 80.000B, not on Thai, they ask 135.000B.

Edited by tartempion