What is wrong with Thai Airways ?

Ballbearing

Have done a lot of air miles over the years but have not used Thai for about 3 years. The last trip Bris to BKK was unpleasant.

I have just done my first trip(s) with Korean (Brisbane to Toronto) and was impressed. They have really great cabin crew.

I did encounter 2 minor problems that I reported to Korean CS and received efficient and speedy replies. I am expecting my return leg to be just as good.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those awards must be based on in flight service. Once a Thai Airways plane is in the air, they're pretty OK. A lot of computerised automatic systems kick in.

It's just the landing, taxiing on the runway and taking off they have problems with.

blink.png

I would tend to agree, these awards are known as the "Passenger Choice Awards" which are probably more related to service and timeliness. I suspect that's why the US airlines rank so low, if you've flown on any domestic US airline recently, unless you are in first class you end up feeling like cattle and get nickled & dimed for everything! I've only flown on Thai twice, LAX to BKK and back again, both legs were in business class . . . I had no complaints.

Those awards must be based on in flight service. Once a Thai Airways plane is in the air, they're pretty OK. A lot of computerised automatic systems kick in.

It's just the landing, taxiing on the runway and taking off they have problems with.

blink.png

Yeah, the bits where you need a pilot!

I have flown a great many airlines in business or economy this past 25 years between Europe and Thailand. These include Thai, Qantas, B.A. Etihad, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, EVA air,Swiss air, KLM, Qatar,Air France and Lufthansa and possibly others I have forgotten.

The most expensive and consistently worst value for money have been Thai and B.A. in my opinion for many years now. B.A. have a world traveller plus class which is a class between Economy and business usually at around 1300/1400 GBP but if you are going to pay that, you may as well pay 1500/1600 GBP and lie flat in the pods in Qatar business class.

The best have been the middle eastern airlines this past 7 years, and to be honest not much between them in terms of service and standards, all are very good.The best airline I found for upgrades as a frequent flyer was EVA. Best business class was Qatar and the best food in there was Etihad.

I am a gold member these days with Qatar so I love them as I get so many perks.

Qatar air blow Thai and B.A. out of the water on service, standards, aircraft comfort and flight prices plus all the extras such as access to lounges, fast track at Bangkok, huge luggage allowance and preference on seating even when flying economy. All that Qatar is; is all that Thai is not.

Thai and B.A. seem to be up their own backsides as national carriers with a superior attitude and a blown sense of their own importance. I found Thai cabin crew to be forgetful with requests and B.A. made you feel that you were putting them out asking for anything not standard.

These two airlines, in my view, seem to be in a time warp!

The best deals between the U.K. and Bangkok at the moment in economy tend to be the middle eastern airlines especially on their own websites and the best business class prices have been Turkish airlines.

Edited by Scouse123

Your Post proves nothing,although why you would be supporting a aged Airline,which should be pensioned off is beyond me!

Things change and Thai Airways are not the Airline that they used to be,personally I fly Thai as a last resort!

Edited by MAJIC

I have flown a great many airlines in business or economy this past 25 years between Europe and Thailand. These include Thai, Qantas, B.A. Etihad, Emirates, Cathay Pacific, EVA air,Swiss air, KLM, Qatar,Air France and Lufthansa and possibly others I have forgotten.

The most expensive and consistently worst value for money have been Thai and B.A. in my opinion for many years now. B.A. have a world traveller plus class which is a class between Economy and business usually at around 1300/1400 GBP but if you are going to pay that, you may as well pay 1500/1600 GBP and lie flat in the pods in Qatar business class.

The best have been the middle eastern airlines this past 7 years, and to be honest not much between them in terms of service and standards, all are very good.The best airline I found for upgrades as a frequent flyer was EVA. Best business class was Qatar and the best food in there was Etihad.

Qatar air blow Thai and B.A. out of the water on service, standards, aircraft comfort and flight prices plus all the extras such as access to lounges, fast track at Bangkok, huge luggage allowance and preference on seating even when flying economy. All that Qatar is; is all that Thai is not.

Thai and B.A. seem to be up their own backsides as national carriers with a superior attitude and a blown sense of their own importance. I found Thai cabin crew to be forgetful with requests and B.A. made you feel that you were putting them out asking for anything not standard.

The best deals between the U.K. and Bangkok at the moment in economy tend to be the middle eastern airlines especially on their own websites and the best business class prices have been Turkish airlines.

AFAIK, re. Business Class, you can't compare Turkish with Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Emirates, Eva Air or even BA... not the same product

The problem Thai has is that while it may rank 19th - at least 90% of the 1-18 carriers ranked higher also fly to Bangkok. So, anyone who is booking more for service and comfort would book with the other carrers. And for those economy customers who are price senstivie, TG rarely competes pricewise - They are an average carrier with above average prices.

EVA have recently refurbished their business class on flights to London. They now have the pod compartments. They are equivalent to many other airlines first class. For business class to London they are cheaper than Thai and BA and the service and food is way more superior.

Thai's service seems like a budget airline in comparison and their cost is way higher.

EVA have recently refurbished their business class on flights to London. They now have the pod compartments. They are equivalent to many other airlines first class. For business class to London they are cheaper than Thai and BA and the service and food is way more superior.

Thai's service seems like a budget airline in comparison and their cost is way higher.

I am sorry but you are wrong, I have just booked BKK-LHR-BKK in business and BA were 100,000฿ as opposed to 124,000฿ with EVA. I do like the EVA business class but at 24% more expensive than BA I will give BA a shot.

Horses for courses - I flew back yesterday with BA and have no complaints about their level of service and comfort of their seats. I have used them a few times in the last couple of years and find them consistent : Sure, I have had better food on this airline, better entertainment on that airline, but all things considered I find them value for money and the staff amiable.

So, I can pick BA from my local airport for £583 or Thai from Heathrow for £868+. Which would you choose? Correct, and that in a nutshell is what is wrong with Thai...

I am sorry but you are wrong, I have just booked BKK-LHR-BKK in business and BA were 100,000฿ as opposed to 124,000฿ with EVA. I do like the EVA business class but at 24% more expensive than BA I will give BA a shot.

I guess it all depends when you book and what category of tickets they have left. When I booked my upcoming flight about 1 month ago EVA was 15% less in price than BA.

If BA would have been cheaper I would have been just as happy going with them. I don't have any issues with BA, their flights to London are quite fine.

I am due to fly Thai next Sunday with my family, They are ok with service but not as good as Singapore or Emirates and the attendants are not as pretty. I notice they do the uniform changes too at least 3 times a leg just like kids have to wear different uniforms for different days in school.

I am flying Thai because there is much more leg room and contrary to what others have said i got my tickets at the same price as Emirates and they speak Thai as number one reason because the kids have not flown before and they are still under the belief the whole world speaks Thai. What a shock they are in for.

Unless the flight disappears off the screen or go into the ocean i will be satisfied.

Hi,

I don,t no what you have. I like flying with thai, doing this for yeahrs .

On the 25 june again to Germany in the A 380 and that for 10500,- Bath one way.

Sri lanken airways is 14500,- bath and a stop in colombo .

I am happy with the service and the plane.

You schould try!

I have never had any problems when flying with TG also. Where do you book the 10500 baht one way to FRA with TG? website or travel agent? Thats a great price.

Best thing - and maybe only - about Thai Airways is that the long-haul trips are always half empty so sleeping is quite nice on 3-4 seats ... Also there is always Cold beer available unless they all change uniform at same time in the toilets then you just service your self with Singha ...

btw Skytrax is as trustworthy as a BiB ... whistling.gif

Its funny how all these new airlines offering packaged holidays for Chinese tourists to Thailand (and Thais to Japan and Korea) have sprung up over the last few years. Aircraft 20 plus years old, airline set up overnight probably by an influential owner. This is probably where all the safety concerns come from and the DCA licensing these operations and giving them the OK.

Nobody is familiar with these airlines only Thai Airways. So Thai Airways flying their brand new A380's and Dreamliners seems to get all the flak. Heres a photo of some of the new charter airlines that have started in the last few years. There are many others not in the photo. How many can you name? Ignore the old Thai and Nok Air aircraft at the back they are no longer in service and are for sale.

post-113867-0-31354000-1435044957_thumb.

skytrax is all about money , how much you pay them is where you will find yourself on the list . being not fit to fly does not enter the calculations of where a air line should land on the list . making fast noodles look good on the menu , well that is something .

Skytrax ?

Which country are they from?

(Address says London)

I have flown with Thai Airlines for many years and have found then to be courteous and helpful on each occasion. I could not think of a better airline to fly to BKK from Australia.

yes im the same,bris-bkk,straight through..i believe the only carrier to do..done china airways once,with a stop over,an got a good case of the runs on return...

you save app $aud100 by having a stop over,i just want to get there and then back..on a disability pension,you only get a certain amount of time,then cut off,now they only letting me come for 4wks every 12 months...but ive had no prob..only the alcohol served is crap..the scotch,bourbon,vodka,gin,and beer...

Everything is wrong with Thai Airways!

Bangkok - to Europe 55.000 baht with Thai

Just booked for 23.500 baht from BKK to AMS with KLM.

Overpriced and terrible safety record.

Could you provide some proof of their terrible safety record please otherwise its just hearsay.

The purpose of my post appears to have been lost.

It was not to compare who is the best airline.

My comments and statement "food for thought" was directed at all the negative posters about Thailand on this forum - TAT's no good, BiB's no good, Thai Airways is no good, someone has ruined my Chang Beer etc, etc, etc.

IMHO the 4 major english speaking members on this forum are American, British, Australian & New Zealand.

I thought it was quite interesting to note the positions of the national carriers from these countries in comparison to Thai Airways.

Qantas Australia - 10th

Virgin Australia - 16th

Air New Zealand - 18th

Thai Airways - 19th

British Airways - 20th

Virgin America - 26th

Delta Airlines - 45th

United Airlines - 60th

American Airlines (worlds largest airline) - 79th

After flying with Thai regularly for the last four years in lieu of flying other airlines ( normally business class) I decided this year that Thai no longer offer enough incentive ..I.e. Comfort per baht spent to fly with them to continue flying with them exclusively. Now I fly with whomever offers the best value. Having said that I flew by accident with Qantas last month in business to Sydney, which reminded me why I hate flying the red kangaroo. I thought I was on Emirates (excellent Bangkok lounge) but it was a code share flight...damn. I did think that Thai offered value for money a few years ago..they didn't match Sing air for comfort but they were cheaper. Now their ticketing has changed and they are expensive and normally still mainly offer the crap old business class on their mid haul flights.i have been in the new business class about 50% of my booked flights if I'm lucky! which is annoying with the business class flight fare structure.

Last week I booked a flight from Udon Thani to Bangkok. The day before the flight I tried to change the flight date by phone. I wanted to fly at a later time at the same day because a friend of mine will take a later flight on that day and I wanted to fly with him. Employee told me that all flights are full for that day. I looked on-line before and told him that on their website are many flights available. He just told me that on his system everything is full. Ok, I thought nevermind. Friend told me later that his plane was just half full later that day.....

Yes this is Thai Airways.... blink.png

Last week I booked a flight from Udon Thani to Bangkok. The day before the flight I tried to change the flight date by phone. I wanted to fly at a later time at the same day because a friend of mine will take a later flight on that day and I wanted to fly with him. Employee told me that all flights are full for that day. I looked on-line before and told him that on their website are many flights available. He just told me that on his system everything is full. Ok, I thought nevermind. Friend told me later that his plane was just half full later that day.....

Yes this is Thai Airways.... blink.png

Is it not a different company - Thai Smile from Udon to BBK ?

I don't find Thai to be a good or a bad airline - IMO they simply offer a no frills service (Business Class).

I do find that on my preferred routes to the UK (Birmingham or Manchester) that there is no incentive to fly Thai - each time I fly (biannually) the price on Thai Airways is considerably more than Emirates or Etihad who also offer a better service and better seating.

Unless I fly into Heathrow which requires a long drive to my UK home I need a layover... the Middle Eastern airlines offer the ideal solution.

I suspect the Middle Eastern Airlines (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Oman Air) present a better alternative to many and those who've become used to these Middle Eastern Carriers recognise the higher standards of service and seating.

If you live on the US East coast then TG is no longer a viable alternative

Once they decided to stop in Inchon ( I assume to cater to the Business crowd) you were forced to get a hotel in LA or SF both ways, since the stop in Inchon screws up the US out bound and US inbound departure and arrival times