Seven died in passenger van crash on Asian Highway

Lite Beer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I flat-out refuse to travel in one of these death traps. If you are thinking of doing so, take a can of sardines (in tomato sauce is best) and give it a good smack with a sledge hammer. Or take a good look at the vehicle above, and then imagine what it would like in a head-on rather than a nose-to-tail accident. Then think again.

Indeed, in my somewhat limited experience the drivers are maniacs and the vans are cramped and exceedingly uncomfortable owing in some cases to their cramming in an extra row of seats over what they were designed for.

Add to that a vehicle with a weak body structure - no thanks, I won't travel in one anymore.

if i have to take a minivan i always try to sit up front next to driver so i can smack him one if he gets out of line and i can check to see if he is drifting off to sleep and so that i can grab the wheel. One night i ordered driver to pull over and stop and i drove the rest of the way. I had plenty of backing from the back seats. Avoid these things when you can

Best one i heard since i came to Thailand. The driver became sleepy while speeding. Any drug or alcohol test and any fines for speeding and killing 7 people. So sad for these peoples families. 500 baht fine!

These roads are paved with the blood of innocents at the hands of the reckless, even when EVERYONE knows the solution! How ignorant can these people be?!? For years now, Thailand has had the 2nd highest fatality rate, yet they shake their hands at the sky while standing on the crippled bodies of trafficked humans, wondering why their standing in the international community is so poor.

Extremely ignorant and stupid

They get their vehicles blessed by the monk and think they are invincible, There used to be a picture of a mangled vehicle upside down in a field in Wat HuaLampong. The caption claimed that the driver had been saved by divine intervention,

There are several posts here stating that the driver could not run away because he was dead. However, the OP says nothing about the driver other than the police speculating he was speeding and sleepy. It clearly says that seven passengers died and three passengers were in hospital -- no mention of the driver. Time for TV speculation !

Horrible tragedy, but I have to wonder how many would have survived if they had their seat belts on.

Even working for a company that mandates seatbelts before the (3rd party contract) van drivers are allowed to start the engine, it's like pulling teeth to get our employees to fasten their seat belts. Of course, the van drivers just tool along with unstrapped passengers, because they get paid by the mile.

I flat-out refuse to travel in one of these death traps. If you are thinking of doing so, take a can of sardines (in tomato sauce is best) and give it a good smack with a sledge hammer. Or take a good look at the vehicle above, and then imagine what it would like in a head-on rather than a nose-to-tail accident. Then think again.

Indeed, in my somewhat limited experience the drivers are maniacs and the vans are cramped and exceedingly uncomfortable owing in some cases to their cramming in an extra row of seats over what they were designed for.

Add to that a vehicle with a weak body structure - no thanks, I won't travel in one anymore.

A sensible move.

These vans have no structural strengthening,side impact protection or airbags and would never be allowed in Europe.

No matter what we post here nothing will change on Thai roads. The laid back mai pen rai attitude is fine until it comes to any sort or risk assessment or safety.

There are several posts here stating that the driver could not run away because he was dead. However, the OP says nothing about the driver other than the police speculating he was speeding and sleepy. It clearly says that seven passengers died and three passengers were in hospital -- no mention of the driver. Time for TV speculation !

Oh yes! If you look at the photo of the van its quite obvious that the driver could have walked away without a scratch.

Note - sarcasm.

Edited by halloween

In essence this blood is on the hands of the country's administrators who by failure to provide an adequate public transport system have allowed the proliferation of so many third party carriers such as these van death traps. Furthermore ,they have through neglect or incompetence failed to regulate and enforce prudent traffic laws on such transportation placing their own subjects at significant risk. Hardly a day goes by without some mention of these vans being involved in collisions of which many incur fatalities. The mechanical condition and the driver education does lie with the owners, however,that is the effect. The cause is negligent and incompetent management of public transport.

Oh yes! If you look at the photo of the van its quite obvious that the driver could have walked away without a scratch.

Note - sarcasm.

Some people love to twist and distort the meaning and intent of other's posts, to try to make themselves look good. Could that be you ? Happy now ?

Obviously you don't drive in Thailand!

I dare to say that from 100 Thai drivers 70 of them drive like idiots. Most likely I'm underestimating this!

If you think otherwise just go and drive a few times on the Asia highway.

Sure, some other countries have there fair share of idiot drivers, but most western countries enforce strict safety and educate people.

The word safety does not exist in a Thai dictionary (and also not the Thai translation for safety, duh).

I have driven about 250,000 km in Thailand. Spread over 14 years and about 7 cars that I have owned here. So, obviously I DO drive here.

I said not all Thai drivers are bad, you actually confirmed this when you said that in your opinion 70% drive like idiots.. I can only assume that you agree the other 30% do not!

I think the percentage that are idiots is less than 70, more like 30.. but that doesn't matter.

Before i start a trip with a driver i tell him/her my expectation. They always drive better. I have talked very sternly to 2 taxi drivers. Made one stop. I looked him in the eyes. Then got out. The other driver said he was sorry and drove well. It is your life. You have the right. Do it.

Very sorry for the people who perished, but this only confirms my fear of mini vans and their vulnerability. I never travel in a mini van, and if i'm forced to, i sit at the back for the obvious reasons. Buses or trains, occasionally aeroplanes, but apparently they're not too safe anymore......... RIP.........

If you do get in the back of one of these vans next time check the distance between the rear window and your seat. If it's more than 6 inches I'd be amazed. Not much of a crumple zone is it?

Accidents like this are extremely rare in Australia. Can't remember when l read about the last passenger bus crash in Aust.

1989 was a bad year, accidents at both Kempsey and Grafton 2 months apart.

A quarter of a century ago ! they learn by their mistakes down there, but not in Thailand.

Horrible tragedy, but I have to wonder how many would have survived if they had their seat belts on.

Even working for a company that mandates seatbelts before the (3rd party contract) van drivers are allowed to start the engine, it's like pulling teeth to get our employees to fasten their seat belts. Of course, the van drivers just tool along with unstrapped passengers, because they get paid by the mile.

Couple of years ago i got on a coach at London airport and sat near the back. A couple of mins of waiting for it to move off and the driver announced over the loudspeaker "If you don't put your seat belt on at the back, this coach is not moving" Feeling a little embarrassed i did the 'click' and off we went.

Thai word for safety = ความปลอดภัย (kwamplodpie)

Years ago, when the tuk-tuk drivers would try to solicit my business, I would just say, "Mai plodt pai" (no security/not safe) and walk on. I have ridden in one of those passenger vans twice. The first time, we were so crowded with people and the boxes they were taking to Isaan (from Bangkok), that I needed a week of massages to unkink myself. The other time, not wanting to wait on the bus, we took a van from Bangkok to Prachuap, the driver was hitting speeds of 165 kph. That was it for me. I take a bus or the train now and I'm glad it's slow.

Edited by rametindallas

I've been in Thailand 13 years. whenever I see one of these silver or white van come up behind me I always try and get out the way. They will pull right up to your rear bumper and if they don't flash their lights for you to get out of the way, then they sit on your tail. They cannot, will not, not any of them, take time and wait for a good time to overtake. It's like a game to them. It must be loss of face or machismo arrogance. They have to get round you any way any how. And then you meet up with them at the next traffic lights. Just hard to imagine where they get these drivers from. I'm not talking a bout some of the vans. I mean all of them, they are all the same. Why don't they have woman driving these vans?

Firstly, of course, RIP the victims concerned.

If you read the story, its a bit contradictory. The woman who was asleep suggested that the driver may have been going faster to make up time, but she was asleep so really we don't know.

The policeman who said that the driver may have been sleepy while driving fast was not stating a fact, only a theory.

The fact is, from the story as its been presented, we just do know know what happened, so it's not really fair at this stage to be blaming the driver.

Accidents like this do happen in other countries too, I totally agree that road safety is an issue here but I think we also have to also understand that not every driver is an idiot and not every crash is the fault of the driver.

To say the driver would have run away if not dead is also very stupid, not all drivers run away.

I dare to say that from 100 Thai drivers 70 of them drive like idiots. Most likely I'm underestimating this!

Sure, some other countries have there fair share of idiot drivers, but most western countries enforce strict safety and educate people.

The word safety does not exist in a Thai dictionary (and also not the Thai translation for safety, duh).

You dare to say wrong. I drive on Asia road a fair bit, will be doing so tomorrow, and most drivers are good, there are a few idiots who weave in and out, pass on the left when there is no need and obviously go far to fast.

When you look at the road stats you will see that consistently over 70% of road deaths and in some years over 80% involve motorbikes. That is where the high road deaths occur.

As for the vans, there are a few good drivers but far to few, most go to fast and are impatient to pass. I have had to use them occasionally but avoid them unless there is no alternative.

Must be from the "I dont look before I leap" brigade.

So now back on topic

Real traffic management its not on the juntas agenda, dek van is the number one issue on the thai roads as far as they are concerned

56 governors, committees set up, threats from the PM, police actions, etc etc,

but when these regular tragedies occur you dont hear squat. What a disgrace!

RIP to those who passed away and hope those injured can recover.

I've been in Thailand 13 years. whenever I see one of these silver or white van come up behind me I always try and get out the way. They will pull right up to your rear bumper and if they don't flash their lights for you to get out of the way, then they sit on your tail. They cannot, will not, not any of them, take time and wait for a good time to overtake. It's like a game to them. It must be loss of face or machismo arrogance. They have to get round you any way any how. And then you meet up with them at the next traffic lights. Just hard to imagine where they get these drivers from. I'm not talking a bout some of the vans. I mean all of them, they are all the same. Why don't they have woman driving these vans?

I've had these idiots pass me on both the left and right shoulders of the road with them in excess of 90 kph which is the speed I usually maintain. But then again, I had a regular bus pass me and a whole line of backed up traffic on HW 11 near CM in the motorcycle lane. Average traffic speed was about 50 kpm with traffic backed up by a fatality accident. The bus had to be doing 90 or 100, the draft off the front of the bus pushed me to the right laterally. Freaking idiots. 70% idiots / 29% clueless -- about right. 1% farangs shaking their heads at the stupidity.

Almost any accident where you ram into the vehicle in front by definition will be your fault, as you failed to leave enough gap to be able to pull up safely in the event of an emergency.

Also, I received a great promotional DVD from a Thai logistics company bidding for a contract with us, showing them using a crane to deliver equipment, all the staff wearing helmets, high vis jackets, gloves and safety boots. Sent my engineer along to supervise the delivery. Hordes of workers with no safety equipment in sandals or bare feet, manhandling equipment without a crane up flights of stairs. That is safe working in Thailand!

Firstly, of course, RIP the victims concerned.

If you read the story, its a bit contradictory. The woman who was asleep suggested that the driver may have been going faster to make up time, but she was asleep so really we don't know.

The policeman who said that the driver may have been sleepy while driving fast was not stating a fact, only a theory.

The fact is, from the story as its been presented, we just do know know what happened, so it's not really fair at this stage to be blaming the driver.

Accidents like this do happen in other countries too, I totally agree that road safety is an issue here but I think we also have to also understand that not every driver is an idiot and not every crash is the fault of the driver.

To say the driver would have run away if not dead is also very stupid, not all drivers run away.

What?? only 70????