Parking

1BADDAT

I don't consider going to the mall to leave my car adequate parking. I would like to be able to park where I actually want to go.

One thing I have noticed lately is that the traffic in Naklua near Dolphin circle is horrible now because of parking. There is a show in the soi next to VIP plaza that all the busses are going to at once. There is nowhere to drop them off so they cue on naklua road waiting to turn. It's complete chaos. The police have starting to try and manage it but they are not doing enough. They should bAn tour busses from loading and unloading in the middle of the street. It's complete madness.

Wouldn't we all like to park outside the business/restaurant etc that we want to visit, but sometimes we need to stretch our legs before we start to lose the use of them.

I don't consider going to the mall to leave my car adequate parking. I would like to be able to park where I actually want to go.

One thing I have noticed lately is that the traffic in Naklua near Dolphin circle is horrible now because of parking. There is a show in the soi next to VIP plaza that all the busses are going to at once. There is nowhere to drop them off so they cue on naklua road waiting to turn. It's complete chaos. The police have starting to try and manage it but they are not doing enough. They should bAn tour busses from loading and unloading in the middle of the street. It's complete madness.

Wouldn't we all like to park outside the business/restaurant etc that we want to visit, but sometimes we need to stretch our legs before we start to lose the use of them.
i don't mind walking...but often there is no parking anywhere near where you want to go.

Wot eh? You can't even do that in most small towns and medium sized cities in the UK these days? Inner cities have become pedestrianized and subsequently are a warren of dingy, pokey pay-and-park garages. So you still have to hoof it a bit.

With absolutely no decent form or mass transit in Pattaya, buses are the only option. However, they should consider capping the size of the bloody things. There's those really big, long-distance ones that run on Highway 7 to/from the airport/Bangkok and typically seen doing the Beach Road shuttle for the island day trippers. They should only come to pre-defined parking lots and not allowed to come anywhere west of Third Road. West of Sukhumvit would be even better. Then there's a fair amount of the smaller ones, maybe 2/3 the size of the big ones, maybe 40-seaters? They can make most of the turns on the narrow corners without blocking the street and take up less curb space too. They can do the (Third), Second and Beach Road shuttles.

But none of that common sense organization and traffic management is going to break out in Pattaya. Ever.

i don't mind walking...but often there is no parking anywhere near where you want to go.

I don't know where you live in Pattaya, but on the dark side there is no problem parking, you may have to walk 50 metres if you're unlucky. If I go to Tesco or Macro I park within the same distance, same if I go to Central or Royal Gardens. No problem parking along beach road at Jomtien, other than weekends, so I don't know what part of Pats has this huge parking problem.

I live in naklua. Maybe the problem isn't as bad as I make it out to be. But as In my original post people just park anywhere the choose. Naklua is a mess as every available parking spot seems to be taken.

I guess this should be expected from a fishing village that has transformed recently because of pattaya.

I live in naklua. Maybe the problem isn't as bad as I make it out to be. But as In my original post people just park anywhere the choose. Naklua is a mess as every available parking spot seems to be taken.

I guess this should be expected from a fishing village that has transformed recently because of pattaya.

I lived off Soi Photisan in 1984 and the parking in Naklua was a shambles back then even with a lot less cars and motorbikes.

They have been and always will be sh!te at parking regardless of the rental motorbikes or shop owners chairs taking up space. If there's 10 parking spaces, clearly defined by painted rectangles on a busy street, the locals will only manage to get 6 cars parked, 7 tops, straddling lines and leaving 2-3 meter gaps in between. It's all back to their profound lack of spatial awareness. That and being a bit selfish.

The worst place for parking is the Naklua seafood market. They have so much open space where the park is there, I don't know why they don't add more parking there.

One of the few parks in Pattaya and you want to destroy it so you don't have to walk a few feet to get to it

The worst place for parking is the Naklua seafood market. They have so much open space where the park is there, I don't know why they don't add more parking there.

One of the few parks in Pattaya and you want to destroy it so you don't have to walk a few feet to get to it

My goal is not to destroy anything, it is to make things better. I don't personally care about me parking there and having to walk because I don't go there. What I do care about is that there is always a large que of traffic on Naklua road waiting to find a parking space, because the lot is too small and poorly designed.

Have you ever been to the market / park in question or do you just like to try and find something to attack someone for? Take a look at google satellite view. The park is absolutely gigantic. There is a parking lot for the market and one for the park. You have to enter the small market parking lot to get to either. It is horribly designed.

post-155719-0-40838000-1461549509_thumb.

"[T]he other day" sounds to me like it was during the Songkran holiday period...was it?

Yes it was the Thursday 14th of April certainly one of the worst ( apart from Wun Lai on the 19th April and New years eve ) Pattaya traffic jams I've had the "pleasure" to endure.

Well yesterday 1st of May was the (new) worst traffic I have seen on Sukumvit !

1pm it was backed up all the way past the Ambassador hotel almost to the Bahn Ampur traffic lights..we eventually made it to Tesco lotus South pattaya ,dread to think what the town center was like.

On the way home at 9.30pm the traffic jam was still all the way back to very near the floating market

Parked my pickup yesterday for nearly 4 hours in the car park under Mike's Mall, plenty of spaces, total cost 40 baht (A$1.50).

There's a car park under Mikes shopping Mall ? I didn't know that !!

or is it somewhat like the basement at "Friendship"

Mike's Mall and Mike's Shopping Mall, I get them confused. Anyway, it's the second one as you come along Second Road after Royal Gardens.

Yes, it's the big one with the huge carpark out the back on 2nd that is perpetually reserved for everything else but you! And it's also semi famous for coffin dodgers doing the half-pike from the pool on the roof.

But it does have a half decent underground car park that although quite dark and grimy, does have decent sized parking bays and isn't normally as full as RG's.

I learned something new ! there is indeed an underground car park at Mikes shopping Mall 20 baht per hour.

post-2109-0-71611400-1462509667_thumb.jp

Also at the Tukcom parkng lot the attendant told me it was free for the first 3 hours and then 20 baht for the first hour and 10 baht per hour after that.

post-2109-0-53831400-1462510374_thumb.jp

Edited by johng

Well you can learn something new again. Last month when I parked at Mike's it was free. When you get the parking card when you enter take it up to the Information desk and they will validate it for you for 3 hours free parking. No purchase required. The desk is located at the entrance on Second Road.