US envoy confident Australia will manage gay marriage debate

webfact

US envoy confident Australia will manage gay marriage debate

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The first openly gay U.S. ambassador to Australia says he is confident that the "great debate" among Australians over gay marriage would result in the best outcome for the country.

Ambassador John Berry told reporters on Tuesday that Australia has always been ahead of the U.S. in providing rights to gays. But after the U.S. Supreme Court last week voted to legalize gay marriages in the entire nation, "for a short period of time we may lap you for a little bit."

The comment indicated that he is confident the Australian parliament would vote to lift a nationwide ban on same-sex marriage. The vote is expected later this year. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who is opposed to gay marriage, is unlikely to veto the draft law.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-01

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first openly gay U.S. ambassador to Australia says he is confident that the "great debate" among Australians over gay marriage would result in the best outcome for the country.----OP

With an ex Roman Catholic Jesuit priest as the prime minister of Australia------ good luck with that opinion ...............coffee1.gif

Marriage was originally a necessary part of society, now it is an irrelevant farce that is just used to ensure western women can take the man to the cleaners when they get divorced.

Does anyone actually believe that lie they say when they promise to stay together for the rest of their lives through thick and thin- of course not, as 50% will become divorced.

It just proves that homosexuals are years behind non homosexuals as they ( non homosexuals ) flee the bureaucratic mess that purports to be marriage nowadays. IMO they are welcome to the farce.

Marriage was originally a necessary part of society, now it is an irrelevant farce that is just used to ensure western women can take the man to the cleaners when they get divorced.

Does anyone actually believe that lie they say when they promise to stay together for the rest of their lives through thick and thin- of course not, as 50% will become divorced.

It just proves that homosexuals are years behind non homosexuals as they ( non homosexuals ) flee the bureaucratic mess that purports to be marriage nowadays. IMO they are welcome to the farce.

And, (I'm not gay, I am from Florida though), who gives a rat's turd what "America" thinks these days?

My country is broker than Greece.

I could honestly care less about gay marriage one way or the other. Up2U.

What gets my feathers ruffled is BIG BROTHER trying to regulate shit 97 ways to Sunday.

It has all become a farce.

Gay marriage what a <deleted> joke! Next people will be allowed to marry animals and children.

Marriage is a traditional bond between a man a day a woman period!!

Hmmmm...let's review your interesting and highly intelligent post:

1) what is the difference between gay marriage and people wanting to marry children and animals?

Answer: CONSENT!

Two gay adults, who want to get married are two consenting adults!

A child or an animal can not give their consent -at least not in an informed way! That's why there is a destinction between ADULTS and CHILDREN!

2) Man and woman...traditional according to who?

The most mentioned (and condoned) form of marriage in the bible (you know? God's big book of bad ideas?!) is POLYGAMY!

3) Go back under your bridge, troll!

I am more than a 'straight' man. All my life I've been strictly a 'lesbian'. laugh.png

On the other hand I have no objections to people with different tastes or as they call it 'sexual orientation'.

What really pisses me off in all these bitter fights between gays, lesbians and straight groups is the following:

1) Nobody cares who one has sex with. Thus gays, lesbians and heterosexuals have the same civil rights and obligations.

2) Marriage is only for those who potentially can reproduce - ensure continuation of the species - thus it is available only to heterosexuals. As dictated by God, Nature or both. With condolences to all other groups.

3) Any Judge in Australia following in steps with USA Supreme Court in my books is an unnatural cross between a Frankenstein and an Alien.

4) I do not care what kind of a fruit is American Ambassador Berry, - see point 1). But his comments on the way the Australians will debate this issue is a transparent biased and improper attempt to interfere with our sovereign rights.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott should ask him to pack up and go back where he's come from. Diplomatic protocols are not entirely depending on who one has sex with, - again see point 1).

Edited by ABCer

I am more than a 'straight' man. All my life I've been strictly a 'lesbian'. laugh.png

On the other hand I have no objections to people with different tastes or as they call it 'sexual orientation'.

What really pisses me off in all these bitter fights between gays, lesbians and straight groups is the following:

1) Nobody cares who one has sex with. Thus gays, lesbians and heterosexuals have the same civil rights and obligations.

2) Marriage is only for those who potentially can reproduce - ensure continuation of the species - thus it is available only to heterosexuals. As dictated by God, Nature or both. With condolences to all other groups.

3) Any Judge in Australia following in steps with USA Supreme Court in my books is an unnatural cross between a Frankenstein and an Alien.

4) I do not care what kind of a fruit is American Ambassador Berry, - see point 1). But his comments on the way the Australians will debate this issue is a transparent biased and improper attempt to interfere with our sovereign rights.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott should ask him to pack up and go back where he's come from. Diplomatic protocols are not entirely depending on who one has sex with, - again see point 1).

"as dictated by God" ???? Oh I wonder, reminds me when I was a young boy and my family forced me to go to Church, I was very popular with a few of the priests...., that experiences I have never forgotten and will carry them to my grave, I could not tell anyone, as they said, Going to the Church was a Good Thing???? Well not for me it was....., totally messed me up in my head and body...

Don't be stupid, Scotland et al.

I said: "As dictated by God, Nature or both"

Calling yourself 'robertthebruce' does not give you the right to lie, misquote or carry the skirt wrapped around your head.

Personally I do not care which Church your mum took you to. For me it stopped being 'A Good Thing' since I've read "1066 And All That" at the age of 3 months.

Did it ever occur to you that ... "totally messed me up in my head and body..." is a case not for TV Forum but for your Psychiatrist?

Please, in future posts keep your recollections of your experiences with your priests in check and do not attack innocent people.

BTW, sorry for your anger...

Gay marriage what a <deleted> joke! Next people will be allowed to marry animals and children.

Hmmmm...let's review your interesting and highly intelligent post:

1) what is the difference between gay marriage and people wanting to marry children and animals?

Answer: CONSENT!

Two gay adults, who want to get married are two consenting adults!

A child or an animal can not give their consent -at least not in an informed way! That's why there is a destinction between ADULTS and CHILDREN!

2) Man and woman...traditional according to who?

The most mentioned (and condoned) form of marriage in the bible (you know? God's big book of bad ideas?!) is POLYGAMY!

3) Go back under your bridge, troll!

Yes, why can't we have polygamy? As long as it's consensual who is anyone to say we can't marry as many people as we like? Certainly not the homosexual community!

As long as it is 2 or more CONSENTING ADULTS...I don't give two hot sh1t$ about it!

Don't be stupid, Scotland et al.

I said: "As dictated by God, Nature or both"

Calling yourself 'robertthebruce' does not give you the right to lie, misquote or carry the skirt wrapped around your head.

Personally I do not care which Church your mum took you to. For me it stopped being 'A Good Thing' since I've read "1066 And All That" at the age of 3 months.

Did it ever occur to you that ... "totally messed me up in my head and body..." is a case not for TV Forum but for your Psychiatrist?

Please, in future posts keep your recollections of your experiences with your priests in check and do not attack innocent people.

BTW, sorry for your anger...

Pointless reply.... Forums are about thoughts and ideas and whatever else someone cares to post...

Hence the reason I posted what I did.....

If you did not like it, move on....

And what did you mean by 1066 ?? Is it a beer or something ???

What a total crock.

1 - Lots of people care about who people have sex with. Homosexuality is still criminalized in much of the world.

2 - If marriage is only for breeding, why are elderly and/or sterile straight couples allowed to marry?

3 - Australia is a sovereign country. Frankenstein and aliens don't come into that.

4 - Fruit is a derogatory term for gays. It must be nice for you to think insulting people that way is still acceptable. But it shows what you are, so thank you.

4a - Your PM can do what he likes. But he won't do that of course because there are no grounds for it.

Maybe marriage equality is not yet possible in Australia because of the current leadership. Or maybe it is.

But I think rational people can see the writing is on the wall and that's where Australia is headed, whether really soon or 10 years from now.

It won't take that long!

So a premature welcome to Australia for joining the many other civilized nations which have taken this step towards expanding full civil rights for their LGBT fellow citizens!

I agree Australia is usually ahead of the USA on such matters ...

Edited by Jingthing

This is what is wrong with the system is the pollies decide what is for the rest of us

Why can't they put it to the public to decide

or is that the public needs guidance from these higher beings

Told like little kids this is how it is going to be

Edited by noosard

This is what is wrong with the system is the pollies decide what is for the rest of us

Why can't they put it to the public to decide

or is that the public needs guidance from these higher beings

Told like little kids this is how it is going to be

Ireland is an interesting exception but in general it is unwise that civil rights for unpopular minorities to be decided by popular votes. Citizens should ideally have equal civil rights regardless of how controversial or unpopular their identity is.

What a total crock.

1 - Lots of people care about who people have sex with. Homosexuality is still criminalized in much of the world.

2 - If marriage is only for breeding, why are elderly and/or sterile straight couples allowed to marry?

3 - Australia is a sovereign country. Frankenstein and aliens don't come into that.

4 - Fruit is a derogatory term for gays. It must be nice for you to think insulting people that way is still acceptable. But it shows what you are, so thank you.

4a - Your PM can do what he likes. But he won't do that of course because there are no grounds for it.

Maybe marriage equality is not yet possible in Australia because of the current leadership. Or maybe it is.

But I think rational people can see the writing is on the wall and that's where Australia is headed, whether really soon or 10 years from now.

It won't take that long!

So a premature welcome to Australia for joining the many other civilized nations which have taken this step towards expanding full civil rights for their LGBT fellow citizens!

I agree Australia is usually ahead of the USA on such matters ...

Disagreeing with me does not make my opinion a total crock.

1 - I do not. In my understanding you can enjoy your sex life any way you like. Just do not demand your ways to be approved legally and formally.

2 - You missed the word "potentially". Omission? Or deliberate?

3 - They do. Frankenstein can be made of local materials. Aliens do not ask for a visitor VISA. US Supreme Court Judges just demonstrated how. IMHO.

4 - This is not an apology. But in my language 'fruitcake' was a derogatory term for any stupid person. Gays are taking too much on their account nowadays.

I was trying to play out a "berry = fruit" connection. Your sensitivity is letting you down. I know what and who I am no thanks to anybody and unlike some others.

On other points we may agree to disagree. But remember: NOTHING IS WRITTEN! Not on any wall you would like to imagine.

Edited by ABCer

Bending over backwards to lamely rationalize bigotry fools nobody. It didn't stand in the USA and about 20 other nations and sooner or later (likely sooner) it will not stand in Australia.

Sure it is helping the international gay civil rights movement in more civilized nations that some of the worst regimes on the world today (Iran, ISIS, Hamas, Uganda, Russia, etc.) severely oppress or murder their own gays.

Pick a side.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

as dictated by god, there goes your credebillity:

http://godisimaginary.com/

I do not have to pick a side. It is picked for me. My opening statement defines it. And I'm not apologizing for it.

As a matter of fact everybody's side has been picked by either Nature, or God, or Probability or whatever you like to call it.

I always was and still am very tolerant to many wonderful variations Nature produces - racial and sexual.

But this is where I stop.

Whether you deny it or not - heterosexuals are a vast majority, a norm, and continuation of species depends on it.

Any form of deviation is not a disease and has the right to be. It is a given fact.

No need to try and make normal people feel guilty because of actions of extremists in more than 20 other countries.

Bigotry! Lame rationalization! Bending over! Carrying vaseline! - when talking to me you are wasting time.

And preaching about 20 'progressive' countries be careful. Don't bend it too much. The pendulum may come back someday. May be it is back?

The vast majority is tolerant, understanding even accepting. It is the minority which is demanding, vocal and provocative.

Stop demanding from society what was not intended by Nature.

Edited by ABCer

as dictated by god, there goes your credebillity:

http://godisimaginary.com/

Dear friend.

My credibility lies in saying "as dictated by God, Nature or both". You can add to this Eugenics, Genetics, Chromosomes, Genes or Probability Laws. Take your pick.

Thanks for the reference. I have read all this long ago. And I am not a Religious fanatic. In fact I am not religious at all.

Can a man use a manner of speech, say OMG! or Jesus Christ! without being jumped on from both sides:

- No Blasphemy!

- There is no God!

I think both sides look ridiculous and have but one idea-fix in their head.

Edited by ABCer

The ink hasn't even dried yet making "gay marriages" legal, and the bottom feeder lawyers are coming out of the wood work. Philadelphia attorney Conor Corcoran, who bills himself as the nation’s first gay divorce attorney, says he is ready to serve gays and lesbians that will need divorces following the Supreme Court’s ruling last week legalizing same-sex marriage across the country.

I do not have to pick a side. It is picked for me. My opening statement defines it. And I'm not apologizing for it.

As a matter of fact everybody's side has been picked by either Nature, or God, or Probability or whatever you like to call it.

I always was and still am very tolerant to many wonderful variations Nature produces - racial and sexual.

Whether you deny it or not - heterosexuals are a vast majority, a norm, and continuation of species depends on it.

Any form of deviation is not a disease and has the right to be. It is a given fact.

No need to try and make normal people feel guilty because of actions of extremists in more than 20 other countries.

Bigotry! Lame rationalization! Bending over! Carrying vaseline! - when talking to me you are wasting time.

And preaching about 20 'progressive' countries be careful. Don't bend it too much. The pendulum may come back someday. May be it is back?

The vast majority is tolerant, understanding even accepting. It is the minority which is demanding, vocal and provocative.

who are you to say what is intended by nature, homosexuality exist with other species too

cheesy.gif Did not know there were still dinosaurs alive.

Marriage is nothing more as a bit of paper that grants some rights. Stupid religious freaks take away rights from people because it does conflicts with their fairy-tale book. Seriously why do religious people feel the need to push their crazy laws upon others. (religion if something should be outlawed .... what pain and destruction it causes)

Keep to your own faith and let others do what they wan't I don't see how this harms others.

And what a stupid remark about children and animals to equate that to gay marriage shows quite a bit about you.

you are not very tolerant as it has nothing to do with you if 2 adult people want to marry. you don't have to like it but who do you think you are to forbit it

nature cheesy.gif

You do know there are gay animals too and dogs have sex with their mother.. do you really want to take the animal kingdom as example. That is a real weak point to make.

Marriage is nothing more as some papers that give people some rights. It is not something that has been invented by religion these bonds predate at least the Christian religion.

who are you to say what is intended by nature, homosexuality exist with other species too

1 - if it was a question - you have answered it.

2 - if it is/was created by nature - it is natural.

3 - whether it is/was intended - I am not sure. In fact I think it is a deviation.

4 - it exist with other species too - you are right! - more proof that it is natural.

5 - please, stop this line of arguing. One more question like this and I'll prove to you that you are Naturally Stupid.