Signing papers in a Thai Bank

Hi

My Thai wife's bank (farmer bank) upcountry want me to sign some papers, because my wife is moving

some land around and doing some transactions.

The papers are in Thai.
No one in the bank speak English and my Thai is okay but not good enough for bank business.

My wife speak well English but she can not explain the content of the papers.
They will not give me a copy so my friends can translate it for me.

They will not sent it to a branch in BKK so my friends or lawyer can go to that branch and see it.

I just have to sign and trust them.

Questions:

1. Is this normal in Thailand, that Thai banks will not let other people see their papers ?
2. Would you sign ?

P.s

I said no and refused to sign since i do not know what I sign.
My wife and the bank is not pleased, but i am the one who have a visa and a lot to loose.

P.P.s

I have been happily married for 4 year, known my wife(She have more money than me biggrin.png ) for 10 years and she would newer try to cheat me.....

But I do not trust her bank :-(

wai.gif

No and No. Sign nothing unless you know what it is.

Take a photo of the offending paper, then they don't have to give you a copy or send it somewhere. Post the photo here.

It could be something as simple as the paperwork required by the land office stating you have no financial interest in the land.

Two possibilities.

1. All legal transactions, especially involving land, require the signature of both husband and wife.

2. As mentioned above, the foreign husband must sign off, when it comes to property, that the money is hers and did not come from you.

A smart phone to photograph it, send it to someone who can translate it.

Do not sign anything until you understand what the paper work is and what is written on said paper, per what Crossy said post a picture on here and get someone to translate/look at it, and don't rely on what your wife is telling you what it says

They won't give a copy to check it and let it translate???

Wife can not explain it????

That has a real bad smell.

My Thai wife's bank (farmer bank) upcountry want me to sign some papers, because my wife is moving some land around and doing some transactions.

You should better know, what is moved around to whom and why a bit more precise.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Take a photo and have it translated before you sign. It seems strange they won't let you have a copy.

My wife leased a buidling to a bank and they wanted me to sign a document. The bank had no objections to me having a copy. In fact they emailed it to me. The document I signed was for no objection to my wife leasing the building to them.

Two possibilities.

1. All legal transactions, especially involving land, require the signature of both husband and wife.

2. As mentioned above, the foreign husband must sign off, when it comes to property, that the money is hers and did not come from you.

A smart phone to photograph it, send it to someone who can translate it.

Not sure, just thinking: wouldn't that be at the land office and not at the bank?

At the bank sounds like some mortgage/loan stuff is involved?

You could end up as a bondsman.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Never sign anything unless you know what it is, including the fine print. The idea to use a smartphone or camera to take pictures and send them to someone who can tell you what you're signing would be my choice.

It smells. Why can't the bank photocopy it for you? There should be no reason whatsoever, even if they have to stamp it "COPY ONLY".

Don't sign. The bank may be trying something on with your wife.

OPs misses is trying to pull a fast one.

It isn't the bank not letting you translate the documents, it's the wife.

(OK, I'm paranoid as hell)

It smells. Why can't the bank photocopy it for you? There should be no reason whatsoever, even if they have to stamp it "COPY ONLY".

He trusts her, so I have to blame somebody else.

He trusts her, so I have to blame somebody else.

"she would newer try to cheat me....."

Usually these are the first ones to get stitched up, not suggesting this is the case with the OP, but you typically one only finds out how trust worthy someone is/was after they have cheated you ...thumbsup.gif

If you sign something you don't understand or know what says, then just move into the Fools Hotel...lots of people stay at this hotel.

Sounds like you don't really want to move into that hotel so get the docs translated so you can review and understand them.

Before a wife can take on a loan or act as guarantor on another person's loan, the financial institution is required to have a statement of no objection from her spouse. It is a legal requirement, not just a bank regulation. It is because the financial obligation may affect the couple's joint assets.

It has nothing to do with being a foreigner or a Thai.

Generally this document is very simple, just one paragraph and doesn't mention any figures.

No and No. Sign nothing unless you know what it is.

Take a photo of the offending paper, then they don't have to give you a copy or send it somewhere. Post the photo here.

It could be something as simple as the paperwork required by the land office stating you have no financial interest in the land.

if it was that simple his wife would be able to explain it to him

Before a wife can take on a loan or act as guarantor on another person's loan, the financial institution is required to have a statement of no objection from her spouse. It is a legal requirement, not just a bank regulation. It is because the financial obligation may affect the couple's joint assets.

Generally this document is very simple, just one paragraph and doesn't mention any figures.

You my friend are very wrong in your advice. In a bank a single spouse can act in behalf of the other. This applies to takin money out as well as gettin land loans and loans on property. I have seen many instances with my wife and her family as proof of this. Also, my wife has taken several loans outand cosigned others without usin or showing my income to the bank and without my participation.

Never never ever sign any papers in Thailand that you do not understand.

I did with my ex wife believed what she said (yes stupid me) 3 million baht gone, she was lying to me.

I am in no way suggesting your wife is lying, but if she cannot/ will not explain to you, be very careful.

If the bank will not allow you copies for translation purposes it is very dodgy.

You my friend are very wrong in your advice. In a bank a single spouse can act in behalf of the other. This applies to takin money out as well as gettin land loans and loans on property. I have seen many instances with my wife and her family as proof of this. Also, my wife has taken several loans outand cosigned others without usin or showing my income to the bank and without my participation.

Firstly, I didn't give any advice. I simply stated the this law exists in Thailand's Civil and Commercial Code. Whether you did or didn't sign, or didn't know that you had signed doesn't prove anything.

The following is an English translation of Section 1476 of the Civil and Commercial code.

Section 1476. In managing the Sin Somros in the following cases, the husband and wife have to be joint manager, or one spouse has to obtain consent from the other:

(1) Selling, exchanging, sale with the right of redemption, letting out property on hire-purchase, mortgaging, releasing mortgage to mortgagor or transferring the right of mortgage on immovable property or on mortgageable movable property. (2) Creating or distinguishing the whole or a part of the servitude, right of inhabitation, right of superficies, usufruct or charge on immovable property. (3) Letting immovable property for more than three years. (4) Lending money (5) Making a gift unless it is a gift for charitable, social or moral purposes and is auitable to the family condition. (6) Making a compromise. (7) Submitting a dispute to arbitration. (8) Putting up the property as guarantee or security with a competent official or the Court.

The management of the Sin Somros in any case other than those provided in paragraph one can be made only by one spouse without having to obtain consent from the other.

In practice, since it is impractical or even impossible for a financial institution to determine whether certain joint assets/liabilities are Sin Somros or Sin Suan Tua, they will usually require the letter of consent anyway.

Treat a bank like a politician, never trust them.

Firstly, I didn't give any advice. I simply stated the this law exists in Thailand's Civil and Commercial Code. Whether you did or didn't sign, or didn't know that you had signed doesn't prove anything.

The following is an English translation of Section 1476 of the Civil and Commercial code.

Section 1476. In managing the Sin Somros in the following cases, the husband and wife have to be joint manager, or one spouse has to obtain consent from the other: (1) Selling, exchanging, sale with the right of redemption, letting out property on hire-purchase, mortgaging, releasing mortgage to mortgagor or transferring the right of mortgage on immovable property or on mortgageable movable property. (2) Creating or distinguishing the whole or a part of the servitude, right of inhabitation, right of superficies, usufruct or charge on immovable property. (3) Letting immovable property for more than three years. (4) Lending money (5) Making a gift unless it is a gift for charitable, social or moral purposes and is auitable to the family condition. (6) Making a compromise. (7) Submitting a dispute to arbitration. (8) Putting up the property as guarantee or security with a competent official or the Court.

The management of the Sin Somros in any case other than those provided in paragraph one can be made only by one spouse without having to obtain consent from the other.

In practice, since it is impractical or even impossible for a financial institution to determine whether certain joint assets/liabilities are Sin Somros or Sin Suan Tua, they will usually require the letter of consent anyway.

Bud! You can quote thai laws all you want. But that doesnt mean they are followed. I have witnissed all i wrote in my reply.

Refuse to sign it - even tho you trust your wife something is very wrong here ...

My TW is paranoid about me signing anything - "If sign on copy in Bank, Immigration etc. you write e.g. "only for extension" - she dont trust any thais around papers so neither do I ...

I did not read any of the replies to your question, but I do have a strong suggestion to your query. Use Fiverr.com to translate the documents and hire a Thai that lives in the USA or other country to translate the documents. The cost is usually $5usd per 500 words.

Theres an app called scanner pro for iphone and android that will take photocopies on your phone. If they can't deal with that, well........