Thai schools told to screen foreign English teachers for paedophilia

webfact

Qualified is the key word here. The vast majority of farangs teaching English fit one qualification, they speak English sort of. So, why is anyone surprised that simply speaking English will get you the job, that some perverts slip though the net. Upgrade the qualifications and stop short cutting on what Thai education needs most, good teachers with real qualifications. How about this idea, let farangs on retirement visas, teach part time. Most of us are not pedophiles and ready for this... we have qualifications.

Native English Teachers need a bachelors degree to teach here and you want to upgrade the qualifications, I'm assuming to B.Ed.

How many retirees have Education degrees? If Thailand demanded Ed degrees, English learning will plummet. The schools cannot afford to pay, and there aren't enough B.Ed.'s willing to work for peanuts.

Those of us teaching are here for listening and speaking, pronunciation and enunciation.

If our qualifications are good enough to teach ESL in language schools, community colleges, and other immigration organizations, why do so many on TV dismiss us as "unqualified" ?

I don't speak English "sort of" I bloody well speak it!!

Shouldn't that be, I bloody speak it well !!, don't end a sentence with a preposition. laugh.png

Edited by Artisi

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualified is the key word here. The vast majority of farangs teaching English fit one qualification, they speak English sort of. So, why is anyone surprised that simply speaking English will get you the job, that some perverts slip though the net. Upgrade the qualifications and stop short cutting on what Thai education needs most, good teachers with real qualifications. How about this idea, let farangs on retirement visas, teach part time. Most of us are not pedophiles and ready for this... we have qualifications.

Are you suggesting that gaining a degree (real qualifications) negates the effect of being a paedophile.

If this is the case seems you have found a new cure for the problem - send all paedophiles back to university to gain a degree.

Nobel peace prize material .

Gave posted this before about a very well known "western" managed english program that is being taught across thailand. When they took over the program at my previous school they did no background checks. I even offered my current clearance letter and they declined. Went to their training program in bangkok afterwards find out the guy sitting one person down from me was the guy accused of killing his thai girlfriend in pattaya or phuket. Caught him outside of udon thani.

This company does no background checks, hires "teachers" without degrees (maybe no highschool degree), and is expanding faster then they can hire people to fill all the schools. If they were to be required to follow this rule i am sure they would never find enough teachers to fill the need. So am pretty sure this requirement will not be followed thru with.

Just a further reminder to anyone who has children to take an active role in vetting your childs education program, school and teachers.

One would have thought that the required home country police check would have turned this up.

Does the guy in the photo know how his image has now been tagged??

These were my thoughts exactly. If I discovered my photo associated with sick paedophiles displayed like this, I would sue.

So what about foreign teachers from other western countries besides the UK? How do schools go about checking them out?

I believe there should be mandatory measures taken to restrain paedophiles. Place them on an International sex offenders register for life accessible on an on-line database to everyone for free, ban them from obtaining passports and travelling abroad, contain them in their home countries. Any foreign child sexual predators caught in Thailand, should be treated the same as drug dealers, given possible life sentences or even face the death penalty in severe cases. This may seem harsh, but how would one feel if their child were to become a victim of a child rapist?

Edited by Beetlejuice

Are qualified English teachers exempt?

One can only presume that "Qualified English Teachers" are NOT likely to be into Pedophilia.

For those wishing to check applicants from Australia, if they are not too lazy to check, they can ask for a Clearance from the Australian Federal Police.

If the applicant is not in possession of one, demand that they get one via the Australian Embassy in BKK or by direct application to the Australian

Federal Police in Canberra. There is of course a cost involved.

One would have thought that the required home country police check would have turned this up.

Does the guy in the photo know how his image has now been tagged??

These were my thoughts exactly. If I discovered my photo associated with sick paedophiles displayed like this, I would sue.

So what about foreign teachers from other western countries besides the UK? How do schools go about checking them out?

I believe there should be mandatory measures taken to restrain paedophiles. Place them on an International sex offenders register for life accessible on an on-line database to everyone for free, ban them from obtaining passports and travelling abroad, contain them in their home countries. Any foreign child sexual predators caught in Thailand, should be treated the same as drug dealers, given possible life sentences or even face the death penalty in severe cases. This may seem harsh, but how would one feel if their child were to become a victim of a child rapist?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You seem to single out foreigners? Why?

Others seem to focus on teachers, while I always thought fathers were the main offenders?

edited to separate my comment from other comments

Edited by nidieunimaitre

Everyone is missing the big picture. This is not about foreign teachers. It is a smoke screen put up because their failure in apprehending the soccer coach for 4 years or so that performed lewd acts with minors and sold the videos on the internet. He was Thai. That story was only yesterday so here is the smoke screen. Deflection and correction, Thai way. Its all about face and that was a big loss of face yestery for that story to come out. Consequently this now. Has there ever been a case of a foreigner teachr being charged with paedophilia? Maybe one I do not know about but 0.001 percent? Smoke and bullsh#t to deflect from a true story. whistling.gif

Only a typing mistake edited

Edited by callaway

Agree totally as long as this "safety measure" is extended across all countries, pedophilia is a worldwide problem.
I think all schools, universities; even private teaching institutions should check with relevant agencies or records to see if they're registered as "kiddie fiddlers" !!

But they could start at home as well, as Thailand is surely not immune... teachers here seem to be given an almost "parent-like status" to kids in school care & I feel this gives many Thai pedophiles the opportunity to take advantage of their freedom to exploit children in their care!!

Quote: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/838543-suspected-child-molesting-football-coach-arrested-by-pattaya-tourist-police/?utm_source=newsletter-20150707-0744&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I have a personal story which I won't share details here, but just to say when my Thai daughter of 19 was on teacher training at a nearby high school she was repeatedly invited to go out of school for lunch or an evening meal with a resident sports teacher, she said he did this many times & that it was normal in Thailand.
I objected strongly and said she had to decline.
After he again tried to pursue my daughter I went to the school principle of her University & that of the high school & jointly lodged my dis-approval at the teachers behaviour, asking what his motives were & what benefit was the invitation to my daughters education ??
Even the principles seemed to be disgusted at my accusation & said it was normal practice for teachers to take children out for a meal if they were over the age of 16..

He said parents in Thailand were happy to leave kids in the care of teachers & believed that it was a good thing that they are invited by a teacher to go outside..

Ok while I agree this teacher was an adult & my daughter was of an adult age so pedophilia is maybe not the case in this situation but I believe it certainly leaves the door wide open for one to take advantage.

I was shocked that this practice is widespread in Thailand and accepted as normal by most people..

Foreign English- teachers...because Thais could never do such a thing!

blink.png

Yes, and as far as I know it's their own who's making quite a headline for sexually assault on their students..... But somehow the farang will be blamed for this as well...... Saving face or just or just plain old Thainess...??

Many moons ago I caught my daughters school janitor trying to pursuade my 6yr old daughter to go into his private residence at the school - for no good reason. This janitor of course was not a farang. IMO child sexual abuse is rampant here and 99% of the perpetrators are Thai persons.

Unfortunately there have been a few cases of farang English teachers who either have had convictions for sex offences or offend once in Thailand. Just do a google check.

I think this latest directive may have come about because of sex offender Jerremy Forrest. Some may remember him as the school teacher who fled to France with one of his female pupils. After his release from gaol he stated he wished to go to Thailand to teach.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/perv-schoolmaster-jeremy-forrest-plans-5749691

Perhaps I can interst the army in my latest invention, the paedo scanner, thats correct, walk potential teachers through the screening machine and if the alarm goes off you've got a paedo and they should not be employed - thats a business idea for any one short of a few bob, there is a certain organisation in the country in which those in the lead wear big hats who will be happy to buy from you.

children do deserve to be protected , they should have done this a long time ago - to be honest its not as if the measures taken to improve English in the country have worked have they now? so a little more time and care taken over the choice would be welcomed.

why does formatting not come out proper the first time

Edited by mmh8

Agree totally as long as this "safety measure" is extended across all countries, pedophilia is a worldwide problem.

I think all schools, universities; even private teaching institutions should check with relevant agencies or records to see if they're registered as "kiddie fiddlers" !!

But they could start at home as well, as Thailand is surely not immune... teachers here seem to be given an almost "parent-like status" to kids in school care & I feel this gives many Thai pedophiles the opportunity to take advantage of their freedom to exploit children in their care!!

Quote: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/838543-suspected-child-molesting-football-coach-arrested-by-pattaya-tourist-police/?utm_source=newsletter-20150707-0744&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I have a personal story which I won't share details here, but just to say when my Thai daughter of 19 was on teacher training at a nearby high school she was repeatedly invited to go out of school for lunch or an evening meal with a resident sports teacher, she said he did this many times & that it was normal in Thailand.

I objected strongly and said she had to decline.

After he again tried to pursue my daughter I went to the school principle of her University & that of the high school & jointly lodged my dis-approval at the teachers behaviour, asking what his motives were & what benefit was the invitation to my daughters education ??

Even the principles seemed to be disgusted at my accusation & said it was normal practice for teachers to take children out for a meal if they were over the age of 16..

He said parents in Thailand were happy to leave kids in the care of teachers & believed that it was a good thing that they are invited by a teacher to go outside..

Ok while I agree this teacher was an adult & my daughter was of an adult age so pedophilia is maybe not the case in this situation but I believe it certainly leaves the door wide open for one to take advantage.

I was shocked that this practice is widespread in Thailand and accepted as normal by most people..

mr fareast were you to watch soap opera you would understand this is accepted courtship behavour here followed by rape etc. just look at the old stories where police high ranker states that girl murdered and raped was asking for it cos she was a friend. as a non violent type my feelings would be to take some rebar to the teacher and say its cultrually acceptable where you come from.

Some examples to be made....castrations then send them back to there countries to tell there pals.

There, there're their !

There're is an unusual contraction, just try to say it. I can't but perhaps with some accents it comes out smoothly but with my middl English accent it just doesn't happen. I have never ever seen it written before, I checked in the dictionary where it stated that it is only used in written form.

Forced mass education is, in itself, a perversion. It constitutes the most widespread and pernicious form of child abuse.

In saying this, I do not intend to condone sexual abuse in any way, shape or form.

Irrelevant considering home schooling is legal in Thailand.

Everyone is missing the big picture. This is not about foreign teachers. It is a smoke screen put up because their failure in apprehending the soccer coach for 4 years or so that performed lewd acts with minors and sold the videos on the internet. He was Thai. That story was only yesterday so here is the smoke screen. Deflection and correction, Thai way. Its all about face and that was a big loss of face yestery for that story to come out. Consequently this now. Has there ever been a case of a foreigner teachr being charged with paedophilia? Maybe one I do not know about but 0.001 percent? Smoke and bullsh#t to deflect from a true story. whistling.gif

Only a typing mistake edited

The British foreign office are putting up smoke screens on behalf of the Thai authorities? That is quite an accusation!

The requirements for a teaching license waiver which will allow you to obtain a work permit are having a degree and a TEFL certificate. There is nothing to stop you applying for teaching jobs if you are actually qualified and then changing your visa for a Type B. Why have people working on the wrong visa? They can just get the correct visa. Of course most schools will not employ someone of retirement age as they want young teachers who are dynamic, energetic and can relate to the students. Your post infers that currently foreign teachers are not qualified for the job, do try to educate yourself a little more before posting misleading information.

yes, you never see a thai raping children right

specially not on a train & stuff, or is it ?

A sad and utterly facile false dichotomy.

the fact there are Thai nationals who are pedophiles has no bearing whatsoever on the issue regarding foreign teachers.

they come from an unknown background specifically to be in contact with children - they are guardians in loco parentis and as such need to prove that they are appropriate for the job.

Some examples to be made....castrations then send them back to there countries to tell there pals.

There, there're their !

There're is an unusual contraction, just try to say it. I can't but perhaps with some accents it comes out smoothly but with my middl English accent it just doesn't happen. I have never ever seen it written before, I checked in the dictionary where it stated that it is only used in written form.

Sorry that was a mistake, it said it is only used in spoken form, I just can't seem to say it!