Thailand's top brass defends plan to spend 36 billion baht on submarines

webfact

Thailand's Top Brass Defends Plan to Spend 36 Billion Baht on Submarines
BY Khaosod English

14362706631436270707l.jpg
Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha at the Government House in Bangkok on 7 July 2015.

BANGKOK — Leading members of the ruling military junta and the Royal Thai Navy have insisted that a plan to buy three submarines from China is necessary to augment Thailand's national defense capabilities.

A Navy committee approved the plan to buy the three subs last week for 36 billion baht. The purchase is currently pending final approval from the Cabinet, which is headed by junta chairman and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, who was chief of the army when he came to power through a coup in May 2014.

Although Thailand’s navy has maintained a submarine division, it has lacked a single vessel for the last 63 years. The army stripped the navy of its submarines in 1951 after naval officers attempted to stage a coup d'etat against the army-backed government at the time.

Thailand’s social media has been awash with criticism of the new plan to purchase submarines, with commentators noting the enormous price tag, and questioning whether submarines are indeed vital to Thailand's strategic needs, as the country is not entangled in any major conflict with neighbors, and has not been invaded by sea since 1941.

"What the hell do you want from me?” Gen. Prayuth said today in response to the criticism. "We have to look at the submarine issue step-by-step. If they can be bought, we have to see whether we need to buy them. Do we need them for combat, or not? Are we fighting anyone, or not? Do we have to take care of our resources, or not? Do we only have the Gulf of Thailand as our sea? We also have the Andaman Sea, do we not? Don't we have to protect our maritime resources? We won't keep them to fight or shoot at any one. We will keep them so that other people will be considerate of us. How we will maintain our navigation and fishing? You can see that other countries have problems in their seas. We have to think, are we going to have problems in the future? It's all about capability."

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1436270663&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-08

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Submarine plan not aimed at boosting China ties: PM
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said Tuesday that the Navy's proposal to buy three submarines worth Bt36 billion had nothing to do with the move to strengthen ties with China.

Prayut said the proposal was the result of the Navy's vision for the next decade. He urged critics not to link the submarine purchase proposal with the fishing measures, the train projects or other plans initiated by the government. "Otherwise this government does not have to do anything. We just have to manage the money and stop corruption. Anybody wants anything contact me,'' he said.

He said the government would consider if it were necessary to buy the submarines. "If we can afford it, we would have to think about the necessity. Is it for battles or for protecting our maritime interests? How can we protect fishing navigation? You see that other seas have these issues. You think we will not have this problem there,'' he said.

He said the Navy has to protect the country's sovereignty not only in the Gulf of Thailand but also the Andaman Sea.

He said the country need not buy submarines to strengthen ties with China because both countries already enjoy strong ties.

"Every country in the world treats me well but the issue is only the word - democracy,'' he said.

Prayut said he was the target of attacks because he exercised his power. "Sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong. But they cannot put the blame on me because I am in charge of writing the rule,'' he said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said the proposal to buy submarines had been planned long ago and the funding to be used for buying the subs was money that the Navy already had. He said the Navy would not seek new funding from the government for the purpose.

He said the submarines would not be used for any battles but to protect the country's maritime interests once the Asean Economic Community commences. "We need to have them to prevent battles that could occur when countries vie for interests in the sea,'' he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Submarine-plan-not-aimed-at-boosting-China-ties-PM-30263973.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-08

1) Oh, how I wish there was an opposition party in parliament to ask questions of the Govt ministers.

2) If there was a war at sea, Thailand would keep any submarines well hidden away - probably parked under the Aircraft Carrier.
3) I bet the Govt will NOT put this purchase to a referendum ..... they know too well what the result would be.

"Do we have to take care of our resources, or not? Do we only have the Gulf of Thailand as our sea? We also have the Andaman Sea, do we not? Don't we have to protect our maritime resources? We won't keep them to fight or shoot at any one. We will keep them so that other people will be considerate of us. How we will maintain our navigation and fishing? You can see that other countries have problems in their seas. We have to think, are we going to have problems in the future? It's all about capability."

I believe he is saying it a done deal!

Although Thailand’s navy has maintained a submarine division, it has lacked a single vessel for the last 63 years. The army stripped the navy of its submarines in 1951 after naval officers attempted to stage a coup d'etat against the army-backed government at the time.

interesting - isn't it? This sub-deal has always felt like the "government" was trying to make someone happy... Not necessarily the Thai People, but you know, ... someone...

whistling.gif

Although Thailand’s navy has maintained a submarine division, it has lacked a single vessel for the last 63 years.

blink.png

cheesy.gif

Rear Admiral in Charge of the Royal Thai Naval Submarine Division. The inactive post of all inactive posts.

Well buck prayut what they want from you is some rational thought, common sense & wise choices to better thailands current problems.

the submarine issue is a no brainer, you don't need them, it a complete waste of money & a long way from the road map of things you should be achieving & investing in.

Think your well out of your depth & sinking fast dear sir .

Navy insists.... Why doesn't the PM insist back that this purchase is totally unwarranted and a stupid idea! Why the H. does Thailand need submarines! Who is going to attack Thailand? USA or Russia or China could roll in militarily and take over in a day.

In an article in today's Bangkok Post Uncle P is quoted as saying he wants the sub purchase to go ahead so that other countries in the region will stand in awe of Thailand and that he would rather spend the money on subs than have the 36 billions lying around for the next government to misuse!!!

Do we have to take care of our resources, or not? Do we only have the Gulf of Thailand as our sea? We also have the Andaman Sea, do we not? Don't we have to protect our maritime resources?

Perhaps it is time someone explained to the general that his countryman have overfished the local waters for decades, and that Thailand continues to dump raw sewage into the seas, poisoning and destroying marine life. Surely, there is someone in the military who can explain to the general that if the need is to protect Thailand's coastal waters, that coastal patrol vessels and airborne surveillance equipment is more effective. Australia, Canada, the UK, Japan, the USA etc. do not use their submarines for maritime resource protection. Instead they rely on surveillance aircraft to keep watch and to document illegal activity and they use coastal patrol vessels to enforce their maritime laws.

Poor chap is desperate to justify this wasteful purchase. Big mistake and this will be one of the rallying cries when people protest. He's handing his opponents an issue that will grow.

......and the funding to be used for buying the subs was money that the Navy already had.

really?
36 Billion Thai Baht for Submarines lieing there around somewhere in a drawer?
Was there a public tender for the submarines?
Is that all transparent?

Could this money not be invested more better and more useful for society?

Why doesn't he just tell the truth that he's in charge and that's all there is to it so need to justify the purchase or anything else for that matter ?

He did.

> But they cannot put the blame on me because I am in charge of writing the rule,'' he said.

They cannot put the blame on me. How should that be interpreted, really. That the blame should be put somewhere else? Where can people put the blame.

I am in charge...of writing the rule.

So, he's in charge of writing the rule and not having blame put on him.

Let's put it gently, the Thai military is, how shall I put it, 'inwardly focused'. Best they look for a very flat model, one suited to sail up Thai rivers, seems to be where all their perceived foes live!

......and the funding to be used for buying the subs was money that the Navy already had.

really?

Is that all transparent?

The money might come from the people smuggling fund the navy has been operating for a decade or so.

really?

Is that all transparent?

Society ??? there is only the army .....

Although Thailand’s navy has maintained a submarine division, it has lacked a single vessel for the last 63 years.

blink.png

cheesy.gif

Rear Admiral in Charge of the Royal Thai Naval Submarine Division. The inactive post of all inactive posts.

I should imagine that at present he is very active - working on the " informal budgetting" involved in this purchase. Probably too active to be spending enough time on the golf course!

Whether we agree or not there must be some legitimate reason for the purchases...and please don't use the ''personal benefit'' line...sure, the admirals will take their families for picnics on the subs :rolleyes: Now if the news was that the navy wanted to buy 100 new S-Class mercs, ok, something's fishy, but a Navy purchasing submarines is hardly the conspiracy of the century.

Let's face it, if there was a real Democratic government in charge right now this request would have been stopped dead as soon as if left the lips of the person daring to utter it.

And I firmly believe many people are right. As soon as the Navy gets their toys subs to play with then the Air Force will want new toys and then the Army.

This waste of money at a time when Thailand needs serious water management controls, a better health care system and education is inexcusable on all levels, especially in a failing economy.

Whether we agree or not there must be some legitimate reason for the purchases...and please don't use the ''personal benefit'' line...sure, the admirals will take their families for picnics on the subs rolleyes.gif Now if the news was that the navy wanted to buy 100 new S-Class mercs, ok, something's fishy, but a Navy purchasing submarines is hardly the conspiracy of the century.

You right that he got a legitimate reason, in fact 2 reasons. The man said it himself that it is for other countries to stand in awe of us and a better option than leaving state money to be misappropriated by others. I think he absolutely right. It is for all his and pals ego and that first to get to the honey pot before others.