Thai interview: Unfazed by detention, anti-coup students plot next move

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Unfazed by detention, anti-coup students plot next move

PRAVIT ROJANAPHRUK
THE NATION

30264139-01_big.jpg
Panupong

BANGKOK: -- TWENTY-year-old Panupong Sritananuwat, as he takes a cigarette break from a meeting on what to do against the regime of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, looks like any other university student - except for his not-so-fashionable shaved head, which was forced on him in prison, and what's on his mind.

TWENTY-year-old Panupong Sritananuwat, as he takes a cigarette break from a meeting on what to do against the regime of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, looks like any other university student - except for his not-so-fashionable shaved head, which was forced on him in prison, and what's on his mind.

Panupong or "Nice", a sophomore at Khon Kaen University's Law Faculty, is one of the 14 anti-coup students who were released on Wednesday from Bangkok Remand Prison after spending 12 days behind bars. They were flung in prison for violating the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)'s ban on political gatherings and allegedly committing sedition by publicly calling for the ouster of the junta. Undeterred, the group is now busy planning its next move.

"I haven't changed and I'm reminded that we still have no liberty," the bespectacled young man said. "We will still fight for democracy. Inside prison, we strengthened our hearts and decided not to give up."

Panupong added that he and the others - mostly university students if not recent graduates - were treated well by the prison warden and asked this interviewer to convey his sincere thanks. However, he said, they were not given access to news - be it print or broadcast - about their opposition to the regime while they were behind bars. The imprisonment of the 14 young activists has attracted concern from the United Nations, the European Union and international human rights organisations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.

Now, a day after he and his peers - all members of New Democracy Movement (NDM) - were released Panupong wonders why they still need to be closely followed by security officers, who watch their every move. The 14 still face a possible prison term of seven years.

"We are not criminals. They don't really need to follow us like this," he said, sitting at an undisclosed location. "I feel very unsafe indeed."

The light-framed Panupong is still fearless though, saying their struggle is worth it. Their public challenge to the NCPO and eventual imprisonment has seen a revival of anti-coup protests over the past two weeks on a scale not experienced since the first few weeks after the 2014 coup. This time more than 200 people gathered to rally for the release of the 14 young activists and denounced the NCPO despite the risk of prosecution. This response, he said, was "beyond expectation" and also thanked those beyond the Kingdom for their support as well.

"This has shaken Prayut to the point where he has to speak about us 14 students. I would like to tell our supporters that everybody should continue the struggle, even though the means might be different," Panupong said.

The young student, who was first a member of the Dao Din group before it joined Bangkok-based students to form NDM, quickly ruled out the option of expressing themselves through officially sanctioned channels as suggested by Justice Minister General Paiboon Kumchaya, saying it was "unacceptable".

He said he and his group want to communicate with the rest of society, not just the government. "What he [Prayut]'s afraid of most is a people's uprising," he added.

While in prison, Panupong also had a chance to speak to other inmates and learned how being poor and underprivileged increased the chance of ending up in prison.

Panupong's father came down from Surin province to visit him, though his mother sent a message asking him to return home for a break. Panupong said his parents have learned to respect his decision and have realised that their son is an activist now.

His new term in university is also starting next month.

"I don't know when I will be heading home, because it's still unclear what we are going to do next," he said, before he excused himself and joined the meeting.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Unfazed-by-detention-anti-coup-students-plot-next--30264139.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-10

go back to class and stop wasting your time trying to be a big shot, you can actually make a difference when you have the education and are contributing to Thailand in a constructive way - this nonsense is getting really old

It reminds me of a guy near where I live that wanted to be heard - he went through all sorts of tweaking with his motorbike doing this and that and eventually completely removed the exhaust which resulted in a few neighbours giving him a slap to reset his stupidity into reality,

go back to class and stop wasting your time trying to be a big shot, you can actually make a difference when you have the education and are contributing to Thailand in a constructive way - this nonsense is getting really old

It reminds me of a guy near where I live that wanted to be heard - he went through all sorts of tweaking with his motorbike doing this and that and eventually completely removed the exhaust which resulted in a few neighbours giving him a slap to reset his stupidity into reality,

Yeah that's right. Go back to class, swallow your junta brand propaganda and be a good little sheep in Thai society. Are you junta pyscophants starting to feel uneasy like the general because some people are starting to rebel against these bullies?

God speed to these students. They are brave young men and women fighting for their rights and risking Their freedom.

Oh, and before the pyscophants Say they are being paid, they have directly challenged the junta to put their money were their mouth is and prove it. We're still waiting.

I am only an inexperienced farang observer, and can only assess this from a common sense point of view.

To me, the prime minister seems an honest man who sincerely wants to clean out the stinking corruption which has spread like an evil cancer throughout the Kingdom over decades. He has a huge task, and he wants to get it done military style.

That's a problem.

He rarely smiles. He looks uncomfortable in public appearances. He has no 'spin doctor' attributes to soothe his critics or the media. In fact he is a sitting target for anybody waving banners extolling the values human rights, free speech, democracy etc.

Fact is, nothing will ever change in Thailand unless someone like Gen Prayut takes the helm, something like the style of Lee Kuan Yew.

An early election and a return to civilian government will perpetuate the staus quo. The same greedy mafia will return, whatever colour they wear, and we will go backwards.

Opposing Gen Prayut at a time when he is trying his limited best to put things right does therefore not make sense.

The 14 students only added more to Thailand's already negative image, fed the international media a juicy human rights anti-junta story, and harmed tourism.

I do not see what they achieved, and more of the same will make it much worse.

Meanwhile, the possibility of a collapse in the Chinese economy looms. Combined with the Greek situation, this is very scary.

If China goes down, we are going to need all the stability in the world, not young students creating unrest.

My feeling is, let the prime minister do his job. Then let's judge him.

But not now.

You should apply for a staff position at Prayut's headquarters. They'd love you.

I am only an inexperienced farang observer, and can only assess this from a common sense point of view.

To me, the prime minister seems an honest man who sincerely wants to clean out the stinking corruption which has spread like an evil cancer throughout the Kingdom over decades. He has a huge task, and he wants to get it done military style.

That's a problem.

He rarely smiles. He looks uncomfortable in public appearances. He has no 'spin doctor' attributes to soothe his critics or the media. In fact he is a sitting target for anybody waving banners extolling the values human rights, free speech, democracy etc.

Fact is, nothing will ever change in Thailand unless someone like Gen Prayut takes the helm, something like the style of Lee Kuan Yew.

An early election and a return to civilian government will perpetuate the staus quo. The same greedy mafia will return, whatever colour they wear, and we will go backwards.

Opposing Gen Prayut at a time when he is trying his limited best to put things right does therefore not make sense.

The 14 students only added more to Thailand's already negative image, fed the international media a juicy human rights anti-junta story, and harmed tourism.

Meanwhile, the possibility of a collapse in the Chinese economy looms. Combined with the Greek situation, this is very scary.

If China goes down, we are going to need all the stability in the world, not young students creating unrest.

But not now.

You may of had a point if this was the first coup in a long time. But 19 in 70 odd years (the first one was a game changer though) have changed nothing. Why would this one be any different?

If anything it is the constant interference from the Thai military that has handicapped Thailand. It should of been the Thai peoples choice to get the PTP out. Not the elite and their hired goons aka the army.

That's a problem.

But not now.

Are you Costas in disguise? Edited by jesimps

That's a problem.

But not now.

You may of had a point if this was the first coup in a long time. But 19 in 70 odd years (the first one was a game changer though) have changed nothing. Why would this one be any different?

If anything it is the constant interference from the Thai military that has handicapped Thailand. It should of been the Thai peoples choice to get the PTP out. Not the elite and their hired goons aka the army.

You have a point. But I believe this one is different.

I have watched several of Prayut's Friday TV broadcasts (sub titled in excellent English)

Long winded, stilted, not very convivial, and sometimes a bit naive, yes.

But what he says makes sense. I believe he is sincere. I hope so.

That's a problem.

But not now.

I respect your opinion. Just that you can't judge honesty and integrity when you restrict and disallow others to question you. Even so when you armed to the teeth with draconian laws like 44. Lee Kuan Yew reference was rather poor. We have a popularly elected legitimate Prime Minister whose policies were supported by the people compare with a Prime Minister who came to power without popular mandate and through the barrel of the gun. Lastly China will not collapse and far from the situation in Greece. Greece economy is not even bigger than California and have no impact on the world.

That's a problem.

But not now.

"To me, the prime minister seems an honest man who sincerely wants to clean out the stinking corruption which has spread like an evil cancer throughout the Kingdom over decades. He has a huge task, and he wants to get it done military style."

I can't provide links or my post will be removed. Google the terms "foreign policy", "eastern tigers", and "prayut" and read some of the news sources that come up. They may change your opinion of Prayut and his motives.

That's a problem.

But not now.

Are you Costas in disguise?

I think Costas has gone back to Greece bearing gifts.

Yeah that's right. Go back to class, swallow your junta brand propaganda and be a good little sheep in Thai society. Are you junta pyscophants starting to feel uneasy like the general because some people are starting to rebel against these bullies?

God speed to these students. They are brave young men and women fighting for their rights and risking Their freedom.

Oh, and before the pyscophants Say they are being paid, they have directly challenged the junta to put their money were their mouth is and prove it. We're still waiting.

Do you think that you should be encouraging anti-government protests by anyone in Thailand yet alone a bunch of simpleton students who will have had zero experience of the real world? I hope you will be happy to take some of the responsibility for encouraging them when they are rounded up again next time or worse.

I wonder what this young students reaction was when me and my family gathered at his university in Khon Kaen to hear Abhisit speak only to be intimidated and turned away with my kids in tears. It was the same people that are defending this student now that also make excuses for the volatile situation I was in. Silence as long as "they" are in power and fighting for democracy when they aren't in power.

Of course when students joined the PDRC rallies last year they were discredited, denounced and loathed by the 7%'ers. There are students on both sides of the divide. This is a small cross section of one side of that divide.

Although democracy is not what this cross section is fighting for anyway as if it was they would be turning their attention to the reform process and engage the government constructively. They would suggest a place on the panel of "Thailand Moves Forward".

None of that. They beg to be arrested to discredit the Junta. They start rumours about money transfers to discredit the Junta. They do not constructively engage the Junta as that does not suit their agenda. They have certainly been trained by some above in what to say. It is like a mini Jatuporn speaking with words like "Struggle" and "Uprising". Give him a few more years and he will mirror Jatuporn with words like "Death" and The blood will flow"

Where is this struggle? Uprising from who? These same people said that beyond a shadow of a doubt if there was a coup the people will rise up to counter it. No one rose up. The majority backed it. The majority yearned it. This is a small minority purporting to speak for a majority that is simply not behind them. I don't see anyone struggling except for the economic struggle they are facing like so many around the word are also facing.

Of course planting key words in the statements and trying to engineer something that is not there is the plan. It is aimed at the gullible just like the money in Singapore rumour is aimed at.

Offer something constructive instead of standing out there begging to be arrested. They won't because constructive criticism does not get them on the front page of the paper. They love this attention and at 20 years of age who wouldn't. I bet they are popular with the girls at their school now...

Edited by djjamie

Anyone that encourages these students has to be either a full on fist in the air red shirt supporter or a moron! I cannot think of any other reason why any reasonable person would continue to show support for these stupid kids. They are all from the north east and attend Khon Kaen university, they were all in their early teens when mum, dad, auntie and uncle were riding into Bangkok to oust the then Abhisit government by "burning down" central Bangkok, they probably thought that there families were heroes for doing that.

Now you want to encourage these brainwashed numpties to stand up against a junta that removed their corrupted red shirt installed government. Why?

I wonder what this young students reaction was when me and my family gathered at his university in Khon Kaen to hear Abhisit speak only to be intimidated and turned away with my kids in tears. It was the same people that are defending this student now that also make excuses for the volatile situation I was in. Silence as long as "they" are in power and fighting for democracy when they aren't in power.

Of course when students joined the PDRC rallies last year they were discredited, denounced and loathed by the 7%'ers. There are students on both sides of the divide. This is a small cross section of one side of that divide.

Although democracy is not what this cross section is fighting for anyway as if it was they would be turning their attention to the reform process and engage the government constructively. They would suggest a place on the panel of "Thailand Moves Forward".

None of that. They beg to be arrested to discredit the Junta. They start rumours about money transfers to discredit the Junta. They do not constructively engage the Junta as that does not suit their agenda. They have certainly been trained by some above in what to say. It is like a mini Jatuporn speaking with words like "Struggle" and "Uprising". Give him a few more years and he will mirror Jatuporn with words like "Death" and The blood will flow"

Where is this struggle? Uprising from who? These same people said that beyond a shadow of a doubt if there was a coup the people will rise up to counter it. No one rose up. The majority backed it. The majority yearned it. This is a small minority purporting to speak for a majority that is simply not behind them. I don't see anyone struggling except for the economic struggle they are facing like so many around the word are also facing.

Of course planting key words in the statements and trying to engineer something that is not there is the plan. It is aimed at the gullible just like the money in Singapore rumour is aimed at.

Offer something constructive instead of standing out there begging to be arrested. They won't because constructive criticism does not get them on the front page of the paper. They love this attention and at 20 years of age who wouldn't. I bet they are popular with the girls at their school now...

Ahh, what would the weekend be without a dose of buffoonery from djjamie?

The students reaction to your leaving in tears was nothing, seeing as they don't know you and have never heard of you. What was the point in attending anyway (if you are not just making this up, as you are prone to do), given your lack of Thai language skills?

Ahh, what would the weekend be without a dose of buffoonery from djjamie?

The students reaction to your leaving in tears was nothing, seeing as they don't know you and have never heard of you. What was the point in attending anyway (if you are not just making this up, as you are prone to do), given your lack of Thai language skills?

Yes wondering that myself. Perhaps he was trying to decide who to vote for. Oh wait...

Do you think that you should be encouraging anti-government protests by anyone in Thailand yet alone a bunch of simpleton students who will have had zero experience of the real world? I hope you will be happy to take some of the responsibility for encouraging them when they are rounded up again next time or worse.

Would you care to explain and define what you mean by the real world, and at what age you enter it?

Because I have travelled a good deal of the world, and Thailand is by far the furthest place from any world never mind the real world I've encountered what with Thainess etc.

So give us a definition of the real world please because I personally think you're talking <deleted>.

Would the real world be places like Sudan, where as children many watched their parents die from violence and hunger ? Same for places like Somalia, Eritrea Ethiopia ?

Would the real world be places like India where children as young as 4 years old are sold off to businesses for slave labour?

Would the real world be places like Sierra Leonne where children were forced to execute their parents ?

Please enlighten us Obi Wan Kenobi as to what really I'd the real world, as it's pretty obvious you don't live anywhere near it either!!!

^ The real world is not a place is it? it is "the realm of practical or actual experience, as opposed to the abstract, theoretical, or idealized sphere of the classroom, laboratory,etc.:"

If you think any students anywhere in the world tend to be anything other than idealistic then we are too different to ever agree. That you think these propaganda fed small world country kids are anything other than idealistic is absurd. That anyone would encourage these students is plain crazy

"Of course when students joined the PDRC rallies last year they were discredited, denounced and loathed by the 7%'ers. There are students on both sides of the divide. This is a small cross section of one side of that divide."

No they're not:

"The 14 detained activists were members of the “New Democracy Group”, an incipient anti-junta group that is not apparently linked to either two mainstream political parties, the Democrats and Peua Thai. Thai Public Broadcasting Service revealed in a program that the activists were involved in the anti-amnesty street demonstrations against coup-ousted Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government. The program also said some have been involved in sporadic anti-coup protests staged in front of Bangkok’s Arts and Culture Center, near the place pro-activists and anti-government notes were posted on the weekend." http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/thailands-rising-crackdown-on-dissent-sparks-coup-criticism/

It doesn't look like they're pro-PTP or pro-junta. I bet that's hard for you to get your head around.

Anyone that encourages these students has to be either a full on fist in the air red shirt supporter or a moron! I cannot think of any other reason why any reasonable person would continue to show support for these stupid kids. They are all from the north east and attend Khon Kaen university, they were all in their early teens when mum, dad, auntie and uncle were riding into Bangkok to oust the then Abhisit government by "burning down" central Bangkok, they probably thought that there families were heroes for doing that.

Now you want to encourage these brainwashed numpties to stand up against a junta that removed their corrupted red shirt installed government. Why?

and YOU win! the dumbest post of the week award.

At least make an argument not 'they are all from the North East' go have another Chang and try to engage brain and not fall off your barstool

I see so being raised around the red shirt homeland in no way infected their spongy teenage minds? I would say I was dumb to assume anything other than that.

^ The real world is not a place is it? it is "the realm of practical or actual experience, as opposed to the abstract, theoretical, or idealized sphere of the classroom, laboratory,etc.:"

If you think any students anywhere in the world tend to be anything other than idealistic then we are too different to ever agree. That you think these propaganda fed small world country kids are anything other than idealistic is absurd. That anyone would encourage these students is plain crazy

Yes, I wonder if Ghandi would have agreed with you.

My son and many of his friends were students, he and his pals were nothing like these kids, all they were interested in was playing football, shagging, and getting shyt faced!! and it's more likely you who hasn't clue, so you've traveled all over the world to form opinions that students are too idealistic then? Sounds like you've never lived nor been in the real world either.

Your a bandwagon jumper, I bet you also believe all backpackers are the great unwashed too.

Those who encourage these kids all believe in one thing... the Junta are NOT the people to be running this country, and anyone who supports living under a military power is every bit as crazy as these students.

That's a problem.

But not now.

I respect your opinion. Just that you can't judge honesty and integrity when you restrict and disallow others to question you. Even so when you armed to the teeth with draconian laws like 44. Lee Kuan Yew reference was rather poor. We have a popularly elected legitimate Prime Minister whose policies were supported by the people compare with a Prime Minister who came to power without popular mandate and through the barrel of the gun. Lastly China will not collapse and far from the situation in Greece. Greece economy is not even bigger than California and have no impact on the world.

I don't think anyone is questioning the right of these students to voice an opinion or have an opinion, we voice are opinions here on TVF every day, what is in question however is how they choose to heard and seen and the constant attempts to garner support and escalate, it might be innocent enough and somewhat childish but it could also be quite sinister, we all know how street protests can develop here in LoS and I for one would rather not go back to that.

I also agree with the above poster and have said it many times, lets wait and see what comes from this process before it is judged - one thing is for sure - something had to change as this country has been lost for many many years.

My son and many of his friends were students, he and his pals were nothing like these kids, all they were interested in was playing football, shagging, and getting shyt faced!! and it's more likely you who hasn't clue, so you've traveled all over the world to form opinions that students are too idealistic then? Sounds like you've never lived nor been in the real world either.

Your a bandwagon jumper, I bet you also believe all backpackers are the great unwashed too.

Those who encourage these kids all believe in one thing... the Junta are NOT the people to be running this country, and anyone who supports living under a military power is every bit as crazy as these students.

So basically you want another red shirt revolution to set the country back on track? What stone have you been living under to not see that Thailand as it is now is a far better place than it has been for almost any time in the past 15 years?

So basically you want another red shirt revolution to set the country back on track? What stone have you been living under to not see that Thailand as it is now is a far better place than it has been for almost any time in the past 15 years?

and you my friend are 100% correct