Thai team to check on Uighurs

Lite Beer

UIGHURS
Thai team to check on Uighurs
THE NATION

30264241-03_big.jpg

Barbed wires are erected around the immigration detention building in Songkhla that is holding 23 illegal Uighur migrants from China, as part of increased security.

BANGKOK: -- NSC plans China trip to inspect migrants' well-being; group deported 'under PM's deal with li'

THE head of Thailand's National Security Council said yesterday he expects to lead a team to China shortly to check on the well-being of Uighur asylum-seekers deported from Thailand several days ago.

But NSC Secretary-General Anusit Kunakorn said the trip still needs to be approved by Deputy PM and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan.

"I will travel to China myself. No exact date has been scheduled, but next week is best. The sooner, the better," he said during a press conference at Government House.

Anusit said the inspection trip would not include representatives from international organisations, but he expected them to travel to China later.

He said the Chinese government had promised that the Uighur were being taken care, as per international principles on human rights.

Thailand's deportation of illegal Uighur migrants back to China stemmed from what a government source called a "gentleman's agreement" between Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang. The two leaders discussed the matter during Li's visit to Thailand last December, the source said.

China wanted all Uighur people from its Xinjiang region to be repatriated, but Thailand agreed to only send back those found to have Chinese nationality, the source said.

"Thailand has asked China for understanding in regard to criticism from the international community if all Uighur migrants are repatriated to China," the source said.

The source said China was unhappy that Thailand deported 172 Uighur migrants to Turkey late last month.

China is ready to allow Thailand and international organisations to check the safety and treatment it is providing to Uighurs repatriated from Thailand, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday.

Beijing has guaranteed that it would take good care of their safety and would examine carefully whether any of the Uighurs had committed any wrongdoing, he said.

"If they did nothing wrong, they will be freed. The Chinese will allow representatives from our National Security Council and international organisations to examine the treatment," Prayut told reporters.

"That is what they [Chinese] have announced. Do you want anything more? Look at their law, and they said they would follow their justice procedures. They are not an uncivilised nation," he said.

The pre-dawn repatriation of 109 Uighurs to China on Thursday alarmed the international community, as the Thai government's action was deemed to go against the international principle of non-refoulement (forced return of a person to a persecuting state).

In a strong statement, US Department of State spokesperson John Kirby said the United States condemned Thailand's forced deportation of over 100 ethnic Uighurs to China, where they could face harsh treatment and a lack of due process.

"We've expressed our grave disappointment to Thailand. And we urge Thai authorities as well as authorities in other countries where Uighurs have taken refuge not to carry out any further forcible deportations. We also urge Chinese authorities to uphold international human rights norms with regard to these individuals who have been returned to China and to ensure transparency, due process, and the safety and proper treatment of these individuals," he said.

Turkey's Foreign Ministry expressed regret about the forced repatriation. "We deplore this act of the government of Thailand, which is in contravention also of international humanitarian law, carried out in spite of our numerous initiatives before Thailand and related international institutions," it said in a statement.

The New York-based Human Rights Watch urged the Thai government to stop sending any more people of Turkic ethnicity to China, where they face persecution.

Some 300 Uighurs have entered Thailand since March last year. The Thai Foreign Ministry said 172 had been sent to Turkey as per their wishes, but 109 were repatriated to China as requested by Beijing in connection with illegal migration and other unclear charges. Some 60 others still face deportation.

"Thailand has cravenly caved in to pressure from Beijing and robbed these people of their only protection," said Sophie Richardson, China director at Human Rights Watch.

Meanwhile, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said at a press briefing on Thursday that "China's policies on illegal emigrants are clear and consistent.

"Those charged with serious criminal offences will be brought to justice, while those not charged with criminal offences or only with minor offences will be properly settled."

Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee said the government had conducted the repatriation carefully in accordance with international obligations and humanitarian principles.

Deputy government spokesman Maj-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak said the countries concerned, notably Turkey, should express their gratitude to the Thai government for sending Uighurs to the country earlier, instead of criticising.

"We have tried to create a better understanding with Turkey on the issue and they should understand our situation too," he said, and revealed that the Foreign Ministry had been tasked with seeking the understanding of the international community.

A furious premier Prayut said no country should protest or condemn his government on the matter, as Thailand is not protesting against any country.

"We comply with all international laws but we also have our own laws to follow. Look at what they did with the Chinese Embassy and our consulate office," he said, "Let me ask whether illegal entry into the Kingdom is lawful?

"What we have to consider is whether they violated the laws and where they came from?" he said. "Thailand cannot take these burdens anymore. How many years have we taken care of these kinds of people and their offspring?" he said.

The repatriation of Uighurs to China prompted anger from the Turkic community in Turkey and Europe, some of who attacked the Thai Honorary Consulate in Istanbul on Wednesday night.

The Metropolitan Police has inspected areas near the Chinese Embassy and Turkish Embassy in Bangkok and found the situation normal but intends to maintain close surveillance in the areas, according to Police Maj-General Kokiart Wongsumeth, commander of Metropolitan Police Division 2.

Suparerk Soorangura, president of Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA), warned that Thais should avoid traveling to Turkey unnecessarily due to the on-going violence there.

However, he said travel operators in Turkey had said that the situation was not too serious and that fighting took place far away from tourist attractions.

"Despite being told it is okay to travel to the country, there is no one who can ensure the safety of tourists," he said.

The head of TTAA also said that there is no large groups of Thai tourists in Turkey at the moment.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thai-team-to-check-on-Uighurs-30264241.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-11

DEPORTATION OF UIGHURS
Muslim groups demand explanation from government
THE NATION

30264239-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- MUSLIM GROUPS in Thailand demanded yesterday that the more than 50 Uighur migrants still in the country must not be sent back to face persecution in China, while urging the government to clarify the legal basis for its earlier deportation of about 100 Uighurs.

Eighteen Muslim organisations said in a statement that the government had done the right thing in sending 172 Uighur women and children to Turkey late last month. However, they said it had failed on humanitarian grounds when some 100 male Uighurs were deported to China on Thursday, prompting an international backlash.

Sunai Phasuk, a senior researcher for Human Rights Watch, said the Thai government should have resorted to the extradition process if these Uighurs had violated China's laws, as it claimed.

Thailand yesterday faced further criticisms from Turkey's Foreign Ministry and the US State Department, who issued statements urging Thailand to adhere to international obligations under the Convention against Torture, which requires countries to refrain from refoulement (forced return to states accused of persecution).

Turkey's Foreign Ministry said the international community would continue to closely follow the fate of more than 100 Uighurs handed over to China from Thai custody while the US said the deportees could face harsh treatment and a lack of due process in China.

Meanwhile, China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying, responding to the issue, said at a press conference in Beijing yesterday that China's policies on illegal immigrants were clear and consistent.

"Those charged with serious criminal offences will be brought to justice, while those not charged with criminal offences or only with minor offences will be properly settled," the spokesperson said.

Other migrant and non-government organisations in Thailand called on the government to strictly follow United Nations conventions on human rights and related affairs in dealing with the Uighur migrants, while there ought to be an investigation into the latest controversial deportation case.

The government should also allow the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to be involved with handling of the remaining Uighurs here, while the fate of those sent back to China should be closely followed.

They urged the Chinese government to allow UN officials to support the rebuilding of peace in areas of conflict in of China involving Muslim citizens.

Human Rights Watch in China says the risks for Uighurs forcibly returned to China are grim and well established, so it was urgent to protect anyone people in Thailand who the Chinese claim is a Uighur against forced expulsion or return.

On Thursday, Thai authorities transferred approximately 100 Uighurs - an ethnically Turkic-speaking, predominantly Muslim minority in China - from several immigration detention centres in Bangkok to the Don Mueang military airport, HRW China said, adding that credible sources said they were put in two airplanes, which then departed, presumably to China. Their current whereabouts and well-being is not known.

Those deported were among several groups of people of Turkic ethnicity who had arrived in Thailand in 2014 who have been held in immigration detention ever since. Some claimed to be Turkish and asked to be sent to Turkey.

On at least two occasions, Thai authorities allowed Chinese officials access to the groups - in violation of international law on the protection of asylum seekers, despite the groups' unwillingness to speak with those |officials.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Muslim-groups-demand-explanation-from-government-30264239.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-11

I suppose Thailand will do random checks the next 30 years. Just to show they did nothing wrong. Reporting back to UN every time. I think the racist Thailand showed the world one of their real sides before one of the ruling genies taught about it. just like the police general in Japan. Thailand is their playground, not the world.

Sadly, as is often the case in this kind of situation no matter what country it is, the initial information coming out is not clear. 172 women and children were sent to Turkey because they apparently had a genuine claim to go there. Of the 130 or so left, 100 have already been sent back to China and around 30 are still being processed. My question is this:

What about the husbands / fathers of those sent to Turkey?

I find it hard to believe that these women and children traveled to Thailand unaccompanied. Could the Thai government have done the unthinkable and split up families by returning the men to face Chinese "justice" and please their masters in return for trains, submarines, etc. I don't expect the Thai press to follow this up but hope that someone does.

What does it matter if anyone is sent to China to check on these fellow human beings. The head of this government has already let the people of the world know he could care less about them, so anyone sent to check on them will be told to come back with glowing news, irrespective of their actual living conditions.

Thailand wouldn't want to anger their best new friend now, would they?

Between the actions Thailand has taken in sending Uighurs back to China and in some cases to Turkey and all the complaints from other countries, especially Muslims around the World. I predict Thailand will be the next target of Muslim terrorist attacks. Thailand and it's bigotry toward others not just Muslims, will come back to bite them on the a--. Karma will always win in the end.

Between the actions Thailand has taken in sending Uighurs back to China and in some cases to Turkey and all the complaints from other countries, especially Muslims around the World. I predict Thailand will be the next target of Muslim terrorist attacks. Thailand and it's bigotry toward others not just Muslims, will come back to bite them on the a--. Karma will always win in the end.

It already has been a target of Moslem attacks: the Thai Embassy in Turkey was ransacked on Thursday.

(And that's ignoring the ongoing attacks from Moslem terrorists in the south of the country.)

The military government's deportation is yet another incentive for the Malay-Thai muslim insurgency in the South to continue.

How can the Junta expect to get the insurgents to peace talks when it shows such a strong bias against muslims?

Prayut just delivered a message to the South that his government cannot be trusted.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. You can't keep everybody happy and now you have done

what you think is correct sending those you think have a legitimate claim to be sent to Turkey

there and those who don't you send back to China you get criticism from both sides. blink.png

How can the Junta expect to get the insurgents to peace talks when it shows such a strong bias against muslims?

Pray, do explain how deporting illegal immigrants shows a strong anti-Moslem bias. Do you really think the government would have let them stay had they been Hindu, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or atheist?

(1) This is Thailand, the land of Thais.

(2) it is not up to bleeding- heart foreigners and guests to criticize or complain what Thai's do to maintain the perceived integrity of their country.

(3) Thai's should not, and will not, allow the tail to wag the dog. Thai's have taken note of the illegal immigration disasters of the U.S., the UK and most European states- an outrageous disservice by governments word- wide. It is government's primary task to protect its own people.

(4) Certain types of II's are anathema to peace, order and good government; that is self-evident.

(5) While some folk don't like Thai politics ( and can leave anytime), I respect the Thai government for protecting the Thai people where and when it can and good luck to it.

Sadly, as is often the case in this kind of situation no matter what country it is, the initial information coming out is not clear. 172 women and children were sent to Turkey because they apparently had a genuine claim to go there. Of the 130 or so left, 100 have already been sent back to China and around 30 are still being processed. My question is this:

What about the husbands / fathers of those sent to Turkey?

I find it hard to believe that these women and children traveled to Thailand unaccompanied. Could the Thai government have done the unthinkable and split up families by returning the men to face Chinese "justice" and please their masters in return for trains, submarines, etc. I don't expect the Thai press to follow this up but hope that someone does.

Well they didn't give a rat's about sending Vietnamese husbands/fathers back to Vietnam during the US invasion of SE Asia so I'm guessing they won't give a toss about the Uighurs either. It's simply that there wasn't the international exposure via international media then as there is now.

The military government's deportation is yet another incentive for the Malay-Thai muslim insurgency in the South to continue.

Prayut just delivered a message to the South that his government cannot be trusted.

Quite. And for any posters on here who believe the Thai In The Street will neither know nor care, this was a hot topic (in Thai so no 'farang's present' appeasement) at my local physio clinic last week.

Edited by dageurreotype

Given this, and the ongoing problems in the south, I fear you are correct. And I also fear that future bombings will be in BKK.

Pray, do explain how deporting illegal immigrants shows a strong anti-Moslem bias. Do you really think the government would have let them stay had they been Hindu, Christian, Jew, Buddhist or atheist?

Buddhists? Yes, I do. Buddhists being persecuted because of their religion? Definitely.

Edited by HerbalEd

Given this, and the ongoing problems in the south, I fear you are correct. And I also fear that future bombings will be in BKK.

Not if all the stepping up of police road checks on Phuket now are anything to go by.

I would like to see how a group of infidel refugees would be treated if they tried to illegally enter a predominantly Muslim state such as Dubai, Iran, Saudi etc?

Thailand is not a country that was built on immigrants, they have decades of muslim violence down south already. Why should these people be allowed to stay? Send them home like everyone talks about with the trouble causing muslims in each of our own countries.

I have it from a good authority that those sent back to China were Chinese citizens. Geriatric Kid said so on another thread!

If you enter Thailand illegally they deport you to your country of citizenship!

Damned if you do damned if you don't. You can't keep everybody happy and now you have done

what you think is correct sending those you think have a legitimate claim to be sent to Turkey

there and those who don't you send back to China you get criticism from both sides.

They wanted to go to Turkey. Turkey was willing to take them.

Doesn't seem too complicated.

Just the fact that they fled and sought asylum outside of China is enough for the CCP to lock them up for the rest of their lives, while insisting their imprisonment is in perfect alignment with the laws of China.