TESCO LOTUS

Jessi

This morning I went into TESCO to buy potatoes no have, Kanar No have, Onions No have. In fact here in Korat TESCO have not had any potatoes for more than a week. sad.png

MAKRO have plenty, what the hell is going on with TESCO?crazy.gif

Look like another trip to MAKRO.

I agree, there is less in Tesco than there was before...

Maybe the same everywhere...But here, Makro is the only real place left to get a decent selection nowdays....on just about everything

I have noticed this happening for over a year, ever since management of Tesco were taken over by a certain religious group....Big C is going the same way here also...NOTHING but cheap inedible junk.

Besides, arent Potatoes imported to Thailand, and not grown locally?....could be another reason.

Besides, arent Potatoes imported to Thailand, and not grown locally?....could be another reason.

Both.

Some potatoes from northern Thailand.

But most come from China.

Some imports from Europe (Netherlands).

I agree that Tesco is too incompetent to keep its shelfs filled (which is a basic task of a chain store).

Again and again "no hab".

But no shop is perfect: even at our Makro there are rare occasions that goods are sold out, particularly on promotions.

(if you see 99 Baht for a big 500g pack of Kellogs Corn Flakes it will be gone quickly tongue.png )

But Makro is much better than Tesco.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Tesco lotus problem is their distribution...either that or they a have run out of cash/credit to buy.

For me macro is the best place to shop,even their staff are friendly which is more than can be said for tesco.

Tesco are rubbish,and here on Samui never have enough fresh stock.

Maybe the same everywhere...But here, Makro is the only real place left to get a decent selection nowdays....on just about everything

I have noticed this happening for over a year, ever since management of Tesco were taken over by a certain religious group....Big C is going the same way here also...NOTHING but cheap inedible junk.

I'm sure I saw potatoes growing in a field from the window of a train near Kanchanaburi.

Both.

Some potatoes from northern Thailand.

But most come from China.

Some imports from Europe (Netherlands).

I agree that Tesco is too incompetent to keep its shelfs filled (which is a basic task of a chain store).

Again and again "no hab".

But no shop is perfect: even at our Makro there are rare occasions that goods are sold out, particularly on promotions.

(if you see 99 Baht for a big 500g pack of Kellogs Corn Flakes it will be gone quickly tongue.png )

But Makro is much better than Tesco.

Tesco also always seems to have a problem putting employees at their check outs.

We had a problem similar to this in Ireland a few centuries ago.

It wasn't really a famine, we just forgot where we planted them...............................sad.png

Perhaps something similar?

tongue.png

Tesco lotus problem is their distribution...either that or they a have run out of cash/credit to buy.

For me macro is the best place to shop,even their staff are friendly which is more than can be said for tesco.

Tesco are rubbish,and here on Samui never have enough fresh stock.

Tesco here in N Pattaya are a disaster , the shelves are half full ,potatoes? forget it ,ive thrown out nicer ones , i dont know what the problem is but they are constantly out of stuff and the fresh food is a disaster . But Makro just up the road ,lovely fresh vegatables ,fully stocked shelves and cheaper. mind you Big C in central Pattaya is not to bad and with a great fresh bread section .

I thought is was just a problem in Korat.angry.png

I have just come back from MAKRO and yes they had everything, in fact I just said to Mrs Jessi that we wont bother with TESCO any more.

I find Big C is OK, yes I like their bread dept. The staff and Big C are very helpful much more than the staff at TESCO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding this with TESCO.coffee1.gif

Phitsanulok has had the same problems and getting worse. I think the sale of tesco is in short order and they are turning inventory into cash - the final countdown has begun. Death of a retailer.

BigC has some very nice french things at fair prices....if they have stock....Have some dried beef that is extremely delicious but no stock since weeks.

Had another great air dried ham...could not buy it because no price in the computer blink.png

But if they have the right product and you are lucky it is in the computer it is great!

You don't buy your fruits and vegetables in local market ? very good potatoes in Thailand ... Big C market sells outdate fresh products ( milk, french cheese ... ) 50% discount, still very fresh and cheap, one day before date limit or two days after, always kept in the cold

Looks like we all agree....tesco is rubbish.Some enterprising person hopefully will come along and buy them out for a song and do a proper job.

Unfortunately that's what happened when they were only called Lotus, which I thought was doing OK.

Then an enterprising Tesco came along..............wink.png

May i ask which religious group now runs Tesco? Some don't like meat but have never heard of religious group not liking potatoes.

I always thought Tesco was made from the name Tessa Cohen ........ so I guessed which religious group owned it.

Others say Jack Cohen made the name up from the initials of his tea supplier.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

• 2 weeks later...

I have been back to TESCO since I started this thread and still no potatoes, latest check this morning.

Its now about three weeks since they had potatoes.coffee1.gif

No wonder why restaurant owners in Pattaya avoid Tesco as the plague. Quality is poor and empty shelves. Makro is much much better when it comes to vegetables , meat and fish.

May i ask which religious group now runs Tesco? Some don't like meat but have never heard of religious group not liking potatoes.

I always thought Tesco was made from the name Tessa Cohen ........ so I guessed which religious group owned it.

Others say Jack Cohen made the name up from the initials of his tea supplier.

TV educates tongue.png

WiKi says:

founder: Jack Cohen

tea supplier: T.E. Stockwell

T.E. Stockwell + COhen

No idea whether its true.

same with the med sized Tesco I use near my Gf's place in Rayong. Out of almost everything....

I read an article about Tesco a few years back and the name came from the tea supplier T.E.Stockwell and not his wifes name Tess.

My first job whilst still at school, was stacking shelves in the 'Home and Wear' Dept. of our local Tesco. I still remember reading the company employment manual, which clearly stated the name TESCO came from the initials of Terrence Edward Stockwell (a tea supplier in London) and the first TWO letters from the surname of the companys founder Jack COhen.

As they say, the rest is history.

We had a problem similar to this in Ireland a few centuries ago.

It wasn't really a famine, we just forgot where we planted them...............................sad.png

Perhaps something similar?

tongue.png

What... you don't blame the Brits?

Spuds are useful because they're chock full of vitamin C. The problem is that if they lay around in the sun the green that you see is solanine, which is bloody dangerous. About a kg of green spuds can kill you, and less than that does you no good.

Microwaved spuds are essence biggrin.png. They're the closest thing you'll get to roasters without an oven. Peel 'em, stab 'em, cover 'em and nuke them. The microwave takes nearly all the water out. Mash a load of canned fish with yoghurt, lemon and black pepper......tasty.

For the paranoid nuking them creates a load of acrylamide - just as frying carbs does - but nuked spuds are well tasty. Pressure cooked are nearly as good. Once you're up to high pressure just turn off the heat and cover the whole thing with a towel. By the time the pressure drops they're done. In the tropics you can probably do without the towel.

I take it induction plates are the way forward for one pan cooking? Tesco Lotus seemed to have plates for less than nung phan. Do these instantly explode like the 220 baht rice cooker? sad.png