Opinion: Enforce laws; stop deaths

Lite Beer

Opinion: Enforce laws; stop deaths

1436524436_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- In the space of just four days this past week five people have died on Phuket’s roads. The standard of driving on the island has been much discussed over the years, and sadly ignored by authorities.

In the first accident, two migrant workers were killed when the six-wheeled truck they were travelling in rolled uncontrollably down Nakalay Hill, plummeting down a 100-metre slope and into a canal. All 40 people packed into the back of the truck were thrown from it as it descended the slope. It’s amazing that only two died.

The second accident, on the notorious Patong Hill, saw one woman killed when she tried to swerve to avoid a runaway truck that had flipped on the road. And in the third accident on Patong Hill, a cement lorry lost control on descent, and in the process crushed two motorcyclists to death.
Yes, all three were accidents, but accidents which could easily have been avoided.

In regards to the first incident, why were 40 workers crammed into the back of a truck? It’s common knowledge that this is the preferred method of transporting this breed of “cattle” around the island, but are their lives not worth more?

Yes, there may have been other factors at play, but if the passengers had been transported how other human beings usually are, those two people might still be alive today.

The last two accidents were like so many others on Phuket and there is only one real cause: driving standards. Drivers may blame brake failure, but do authorities believe that so many people here on Phuket are so naive?

They’re not. In a recent Phuket News poll, reckless driving by large transport vehicles (lorries, tour buses and vans) was the most popular answer to our question: In your experience, what is the
biggest hazard on Phuket’s roads?

These five deaths in four days should be a wake-up call for authorities to realise there is a serious problem with the standard of driving in Phuket, and someone should finally take responsibility for taking steps to prevent these needless deaths.

Laws are laws and they should not be broken. Accidents are accidents but so many here are caused by reckless driving and breaking laws.

How many more deaths in such a small period of time does it take for someone to acknowledge that traffic laws here in Phuket need to be more strictly enforced?

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/opinion-enforce-laws-stop-deaths-53160.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-12

It's not just the standard of driving, or rather lack of it , in Phuket as it's the same everywhere and good luck trying to get someone to take responsibility as that's not the done thing.

The ' dangerous days ' campaigns at New Year and Songkran are a joke as all year round action is needed but it's a forlorn hope.

You know things are a lost cause when you read of police chiefs ' encouraging ' or ' urging ' their men to go their job.

As trogers pointed out the courts are just as bad and if someone actually ends up in court what chance of proper justice if the first act is to see if they are a ' someone ' or not ?

I drive a lot on the roads here and over the years I think driving practices actually get worse. Not only the driving but actually everything around roads. Say for example people parking right on the road to hop into the convenience store en mass. Now even up to two lanes blocked at times! Parking spaces? Bah who needs those...

More and more people driving on scooters or even salengs in the wrong direction. Oh right they are blinking so that's all good I guess...

I don't want to bash religions but this behaviour is even more rampant around Mosques, anyone else noticed?

I don't understand why there isn't some traffic police running around fining these people left and right. With the tea money to be made they'd be rich within a year. So the financial incentive actually exists. But are they too lazy or what?

There are so many times I wish I had a car or bike that was actually a "Transformer". Then, when the idiots pull out and try to pass 3-4-5-6 cars/trucks at a time, and blink their lights at me coming towards them, I could press a button and mutter: "Blink at this, you dumb Mother Flocker!"

whistling.gif

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

Many of us have been to the Philippines and seen how crazy they drive there in comparison to Thailand, yet their road fatalities are very low. What are they doing right there, Thailand?

Ratio of scooters to cars is lower in PH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycling#/media/File:Map_Motorcycles_vs_cars_by_population_millions_2002.png

Edited by impulse

6 wheeled truck, runaway truck, cement lorry.. anybody seeing a pattern here?

The RTP or other authorities don't. Actually they don't see ANYTHING! whistling.gif

An ostrich cannot see with its head stuck in the sand!

Thailand actually has a decent set of driving regulations. The problem is, they're not enforced.

Now that the training videos outlining the regulations must be viewed before a license or renewal is obtained, everyone should at least be aware of the local laws. That is if they actually watch the video instead of playing with their handphone while the video is playing (in my experience, there is no "proctor" in the room, and people can come and go as they please, or just surf the web on their phone).

Aside from the unsafe vehicles (primarily trucks and buses) that nobody seems to inspect, every day I see car, truck, samlor and bike drivers routinely driving on the wrong side of the road, running red lights like they don't even exist (mostly at T-junctions), double parking, ignoring "right of way" rules, and not stopping for pedestrians in crosswalks. (I have to admit that I no longer stop at crosswalks unless there's a pedestrian very near my vehicle - I've had too many near accidents from people behind me not expecting me to stop).

When I think about it, I realize that in my home country, there was probably a similar problem with people ignoring driving regulations when cars and trucks first became commonplace. I imagine that traffic signals and crosswalks were probably ignored when they first appeared. The difference between my home country and Thailand, though, is that people began following the regulations once they realized that there would be severe financial penalties levied upon them for not following the rules. That is, the laws were consistently enforced. In Thailand, there seems to be almost no enforcement. Many times I've seen someone do something that's clearly illegal in full view of a traffic policeman, and yet nothing is done.

As has been said many times before, laws without enforcement are merely suggestions.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

Many of us have been to the Philippines and seen how crazy they drive there in comparison to Thailand, yet their road fatalities are very low. What are they doing right there, Thailand?

"What are they doing right there, Thailand?" - they have "jeepneys" in The Philippines. A bit like Pattaya has baht buses. :)

Could you imagine the road fatalities in Pattaya if Pattaya DIDN'T have baht buses?

Now picture Phuket without baht buses for tourists, along the coast road, betwen the beaches, and you get the road fatality statistics that are completely expected of Phuket, due to no public transport here.

Everyone living on Phuket must have access to a motor vehicle.

That equals a lot of traffic, accidents, and death and injury.

Edited by NamKangMan

Enforce laws? Wow. I have never heard anyone here have such a radical suggestion... maybe someone could pass it up the food chain! Probably just never occurred to police to do such a thing

"maybe someone could pass it up the food chain!" - passing "it" up the food chain is the main reason why laws aren't enforced here.

'In regards to the first incident, why were 40 workers crammed into the back of a truck? It’s common knowledge that this is the preferred method of transporting this breed of “cattle” around the island, but are their lives not worth more?' It's common knowledge that cargo beds are the preferred method of transporting innumerable families of Thais; that and four-up on a m/c.