Bangkok coffee shop faces fine for charging customer for 'business talk'

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. They should have either kicked him out or informed him before adding the charge to the bill that they charge for meeting space.

Kinda chicken@#!t, in my opinion, to sneak it onto the bill at the end.

Nothing sneaky about it , there are notices on the tables advising of the hourly charge.

In Dallas' Starbucks Coffee Shops, it is common for people, who would normally work from home (on their computer), to set up shop there and Starbucks welcomes their patronage. Many of my Thai friends have business meetings at Bangkok Starbucks and never a complaint or extra charge. As long as they are buying product, it shouldn't matter if they are doing business or just being lay-about. I see from the bill that he bought two drinks every 20 minutes.

If this cafe' didn't post their policy on the menu or at the entrance, that is not right and they deserve the Bt. 10,000 fine. Say what you want about Starbucks but they are business friendly.

BTW, for those of you who are ignorant about how business is done, some people actually have business luncheons, and horror of horrors, discuss business over evening meals... at restaurants no less.

"I see from the bill that he bought two drinks every 20 minutes."

Weird how you work that out. That would be 12 drinks in 2 hours. Optician time for you, then some maths revision.

"BTW, for those of you who are ignorant about how business is done, some people actually have business luncheons, and horror of horrors, discuss business over evening meals... at restaurants no less."

There's a difference between business being discussed over dinner and lunch, this group of four spent 260 baht between them for a 2 hour occupation.

I teach my students at the Starbucks near me. I will always buy something and my students do to. Other 'normal' customers are also there for hours on end hogging up the seats as well so what is the difference?

The staff there like me too because I am always nice and polite and bringing them customers smile.png. Some of you have too much time on your hands and complain about anything.

You teach, in a cafe? How does that work legally?

Sod the staff who "like you", they don't put money in the till, what about other potential customers who have to work around your school activities? How long does a lesson go on for, just long enough to consume what you bought and then you leave or is that purchase a token gesture to try to self- justify your being there for as long as you like because you're "nice and polite"?

Edited by Sviss Geez

they can start to implement that in every fast food where you see students and teachers doing homework, holding tables, with just one drink

Leave the school kids doing their homework alone. Most of them will be living with the family in one room apartments and no facilities to do homework properly, if it helps them get on in life let them buy one drink and do their schoolwork.

Business people should know better and deserve no leeway for their infractions.

Simple solution, if the coffee shop / café is full, the cash register is not ringing and people are walking away because the place is full --kill the WI-FI for 10 minutes.

Plus a sign at the entrance " this is a coffee shop, please use our wi-fi while eating and drinking plus a further 30 minutes - then bugger-off -- thank you"

Actually I was yesterday at the Mall Ramkhamheang and noticed that Starbucks has a meeting room and inside were 3 customers shuffling some papers.

BTW, I disagree with the fine. People discuss business meetings over lunch, coffee or whatever. 2000 baht for providing no service at all.... well, it's outrageous. If you don't want people conducting business on your premises, post a sign.

That's exactly what they did.

Myself and 2, sometimes 3 meet regularly, sometimes at our local Starbucks for coffee and lunch, we will usually spend Bht 800 / 1000 over 1 hour to 1.5 hrs chatting and bullsh-tting to each other. For the Bht spent, I think the time there is more than reasonsble - plus we tip well.

He could go broke using that 'add ups' machine. Pretty confusing anyway

What's confusing....260 baht (including tax) worth of coffees + 2000 baht fee = 2260. The bill shows a breakdown of charges plus tax at the bottom. The fee has not been taxed, which is something the revenue department could charge the cafe for.

You might want to check your math. The total is 2112.15 and the listed tax of 7% is 147.85 (Clearly tax was charge on the 2k.

Also would not make any difference what-so-ever if they include tax as a separate charge or roll it into the price as long as they are paying the tax to the government.

Check my eyes (actually, it was my memory) but not the math....indeed the 2000 was taxed.

The shop should have just called it "Farang surcharge", then there would have been no fine.

Really? But this 2000 was charged to a Thai.

At a Thai coffee shop with a sign in Thai on every table explaining the charges.

Clearly this must be about Farangs because all of Thai life and society is about Farangs. wink.png

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

do things at the right place and at the right time. if you want to hold a business meeting, do it in an office. if you want to tutor a student, go to the library. if you want to eat, go to a fastfood joint or restaurant. if you want to ____, go to _____. how much sense does one need to figure these things out? ahhhh... the 21st century - when common sense is no longer common.

Yes you see this a lot people using free wife and the space in places like this. Its crazy just because you buy some food you can't hold complete meetings there and deprive the company of turnover because you keep tables occupied.

I agree with what everyone else is saying.

You often see people (foreigners) here asking where they can work on free WIFE i can understand companies not wanting these kind of people in their shops. especially shops that are real busy.

Smart coffeeshops would give limited free-Wifi-vouchers ( 1 hr per purchase for example), this would keep those at bay who want to exploit the free WiFi and damage the business of those coffeeshops